Knowing and meeting the man

General TJ stuff
mikefrommichigan
Fan

Knowing and meeting the man

Post by mikefrommichigan »

Yesterday I was looking through either the Detroit News or Free Press. They were discussing current TV shows. In the article was this photo and the name under ti was TJ Thyne. The photo didn't look too familiair but I knew I knew that name from when I was little. I contacted the web site managers and sure enough, I did go to elementary school with TJ back in 1983-84. We were both in Mrs. Childress' 3rd grade class at Pine Lake Elementary School in West Bloomfield, MI. I think it was his first and only year at that school. That year our district (Bloomfield Hills) closed some schools and some new kids came in. I think he also moved that year too cause I don't remember him being there after that year and I'm pretty sure I remember him moving during the school year. I think I remember that me and TJ were in the same reading group. Believe it or not, we were actually in the lowest 3rd grade reading group in our class. In fact there were only three of us in the group and I'm pretty sure after TJ moved that just left me and the other kid. (looks like 3rd grade reading groups don't have much to do with how successful your gonna be kids, looks like TJ has done pretty well and I've got an undergrad and a masters in engineering and currently work in real estate development, I still live in the Detroit, MI area)

Recently I was looking through some old photos and came across our old 3rd grade yearbook and class photo. And yes, TJ is there. There are no names in the book but I do remember what he looked like back then. He has definately changed a lot. If you want to see the photo, let me know, I can scan it in and upload it.

Glad to hear you're doing well TJ,

-Mike C.
word count: 334

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hey Mike!
Thanks for dropping in, always nice to have new members and I know TJ will be glad to hear someone from way back wishes him well. Was he actually TJ then, or was it the full name?

That one line in the bio, that he 'moved around a lot as a kid' has always made me feel a little sorry for him, completely unbidden..it can't be much fun going to different schools and getting used to different places all the time, well, as a teacher, I've seen the results.

Great to hear that you, too have done well for yourself! No, primary school, sometimes even secondary school, results are not a good indication of eventual success. In my experience the best thing you can impart is a hunger to learn and develop and then stand back and let it happen. If people have that, good grades or not, they usually make it!
Hope we'll see you round the boards again, take care.
Steph
word count: 169
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

What a great story!

Isn't it amazing to come across people in your life whom you haven't seen in years and years, and somehow they -- whether by name or face or some moment you shared, like that reading class -- stick with you in some way?

And you now have a Masters in engineering, and use it for real estate development. How terrific. Good for you! Like Steph says, the grades don't tell everything.

Now I'm feeling a strange urge to hum "It's a Small World" (but I won't because that wretched song stays in one's head long after you've stopped singing it, LOL).

Thanks for posting, Mike! Stop by again sometime, won't you? :D

P.S. Of course I'd love to see a picture of young TJ, but some people find it too intimate to reveal personal stuff like that, so it's entirely up to TJ whether he'd be okay sharing that with us. (Good god, if necessary, I'll share a third grade picture with you, TJ. I'll just have to borrow one from my parents. I won't tease you if you don't tease me. Or, we can both have a good laugh. *GRIN*)
word count: 209

mikefrommichigan
Fan

Post by mikefrommichigan »

The funny thing is is that this isn't the first time I found out that I went to school with someone who became famous. Many years ago I was driving to work and they said that they were going to have Selma Blair on. I had not seen Cruel Intentions nor anything she had done but I definately knew a girl with a name very close to that....Selam Blair Beitner. So when I got to work I looked her up and sure enough it was the same girl I knew from a photography class that I had in undergrad. I always had wondered what happened to her. She was a sweet girl and had just gone though a bad break-up with her ex-finace of the time. As part of the class we had to take photo post cards and send them to the other students in the class. I think I still have those somewhere too but they may have been lost in a flood.

I thought about writing her when I realized that it was her, but never did. Kinda regretted not ever doing it. That's part of the reason why you find me on here now.

As to the question of how I ended up in real estate, my masters is in construction engineering. Thus, I'm able to build the projects I work on.

-Mike
word count: 233

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I've sung for a couple of famous people, opportunities through my college voice professor, but I don't think I've ever really known anyone who became 'famous' (after I knew them). It's interesting.
As to the question of how I ended up in real estate, my masters is in construction engineering. Thus, I'm able to build the projects I work on.
That is very cool. Is there a particular building or home you designed and built that you're exceptionally proud of?

I hope the mortgage market hasn't been too hard on your business, what with all the issues re: sub-prime loans and struggling mortgage companies. That's probably a big part of the reason I (and the rest of the people I work with) got laid off recently. Mortgage company cut-backs. :( No fun.
word count: 141

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Mmmm, don't know if it counts, but I was form tutor (I think you call it home room?) to Ben Kay, amazing England rugby player, when he was 11, also have helped educate 2 or 3 well-known theatre actors and in my early career was good friends with a student who was an incredibly talented jazz pianist, very well known in his genre, who, desperately sadly, tied from pancreatic cancer at 42 in February this year. And was AT school with a classical violinist, an actress who had her own TV show in Italy and appeared here as well, and an opera singer.

Those were the days!
word count: 109

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I think that's fascinating, Steph! Aside from the novelty of knowing these people 'way back when,' you've had the good fortune of knowing some intriguing and talented people. I mean, look at your list: a rugby player, a jazz pianist, a classical violinist, an opera singer, and an actress. How fun.

One of the reasons I like to keep a toe in the theatre (and musical theatre) arena is because the people I meet there are so passionate about it, which reinvigorates me as well as my own creative interests. They're fun and hilarious and vivacious and sweet. Sure, you meet the occasional arrogant ass, but for the most part, in my experience anyway, creative people are very loving and entertaining.

When I worked at a Renaissance Faire, after the summer season was over a group of us met for dinner once a week, or once every few weeks, in order to stay in touch and have a laugh. And my favorite part was at the end of the dinner, as we were all saying our goodbyes... everyone gave everyone else a big hug. No one got missed. We all left with big smiles and warm thoughts. It was a great friendship bond we all shared.
word count: 209

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:One of the reasons I like to keep a toe in the theatre (and musical theatre) arena is because the people I meet there are so passionate about it, which reinvigorates me as well as my own creative interests. They're fun and hilarious and vivacious and sweet. Sure, you meet the occasional arrogant ass, but for the most part, in my experience anyway, creative people are very loving and entertaining.
I agree with all this so hard it's almost painful! I think young becase I spend all my time with adolescent boys and musicians; it's renewal par excellence. Large numbers of teachers tend to go for creative pastimes and a lot are into choral singing, so I share my interests with many of my friends. My husband, as I think I may have said on the sofa at some stage, does a bit of semi-pro opera singing and dabbles in brass bands. I meet a lot of such gifted people, for which I am so grateful.
But I would have to add that a few years ago I would never have thought I could have such rewarding NET friendships. I really truly value everyone who comes on here, because they all have so much to offer and we have a great common interest. Thank you.
Which gets me back on topic -- Mike, you are really welcome here. Do hop over to the sofa if you feel like telling us more about yourself, it's good to know you.
word count: 254

thermosclark
Fan

Post by thermosclark »

I was in high school with TJ, out in Plano, TX. He (and other friends) used to try out for positions as extras in movies filming in the area. I last saw him at a mutual friend's wedding in NYC about 3 years ago. It makes me happy to see how his career has turned out - he had lots of talent back then, and it didn't take a rocket scientist to know he could go far in the business.
word count: 81

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

It's been great hearing from those of you who knew TJ in school. Sounds like he was a great guy even back then (and I would imagine a real cutie in elementary school--and I know cute kids!) Thanks for sharing your reminiscences, and feel free to give us an anecdote or two if they come to mind.
word count: 59
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Yes, this is something different, an angle I didn't expect in here, and I am delighted to hear from the people who are coming in and telling us about it. Thank you!

No wonder TJ says on MySpace that we know more about him than he does!
word count: 48

r33skid
Fan

Meeting the man

Post by r33skid »

Have you ever wondered if your favorite performers are as nice as you hope they are? I'm here to tell you that in the case of T.J., he is. I had the honor of being a regular background actor, as one of the suits in the lab scenes, on "Bones" for several episodes. One of the actors that had been there quite some time introduced me to T.J. After that, any time T.J. saw me he would stop and talk if he had the time. He would always say good morning. He would talk to all of the background about anything. This included any advise he could give on a career in show business. Even after I was no longer on the show, due to a change in the person doing the casting, I needed some help figuring out if an offer I received was legitimate or a scam. I contacted T.J. through his management team and he responded. T.J. is truly one of the nice guys Hopefully we will being seeing more of him in the future. I know the support of fans is greatly appreciated by him.
word count: 195

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Meeting the man

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi there r33skid! And a big welcome to the TJ corner of the world, where we all want to be you!

It is so nice of you to come and tell us of your personal experiences of TJ. Actually I think it is a tribute to him as an individual that people who know him frequent this site as well as his fans. There is definitely a crossover area - we're friends and supporters. I'm hoping this is not a one-off and that you'll come and see us again if you have time; and also crossing my fingers that the continuing strike is not messing up your existence too much. Sincere thanks for coming in to tell us your story!
word count: 123

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

Hello r33skid! Thanks for sharing your personal experiences with Tj! You're so lucky that you got to meet him! It's always nice to hear from people who have actually met him in person.
The reason why TJ my favorite actor is because,
1. He is an amazing actor
2. He has been in everything
3. Good lookn :D
and most importantly, he's not one of those actors who seems nice on just tv. If i tried to contact any other actor, i doubt i would get as much response. I'm glad that TJ takes his own time to acknowledge his fans. And he seems so nice!! thanks r33skid for sharing your experiences with TJ, it has given me a good sense of closure. :mrgreen:

Hope you have time to visit again!!!
word count: 133

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Great story, r33skid! Thank you for sharing it with us. :D

Are you currently acting elsewhere? Or is the strike making that difficult at this time?
word count: 25

XrayVixen
Fan

Post by XrayVixen »

Thank you r33skid for sharing your experiences about our "Man of Honor". I am happy for you and completely jealous all at once! :lol:
He really does seem to be super-nice based on everything I have read, and it kind of shines through in his interviews too, both taped and written.
And they say that "the eyes are the windows to the soul"... He has such pretty eyes!
word count: 68
"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin

r33skid
Fan

Post by r33skid »

It was my pleasure sharing my experiences with TJ. I thought it was important that people know what a really great guy he is. I am constantly learning about performing both as an art and a business. My time with TJ gave me insights into both.
The ongoing writers strike and possible SAG strike are definately making times hard for all of us in this business. I heard some incouraging news over the weekend about the writers strike so hopefully that will soon be resolved .
Hopefully, someday the powers that be (Both celestial and terrestrial) will grant me a career in performing and I will strive to build a fan base like those on this site. If so I will use TJ as a guide line on how people should behave. He appreciates his opportunities and doesn't take those around him for granted.
P.S. The superbowl ad was great. GO TJ
word count: 153

Clockgirlkelly
Fan

Re: Did you go to school with TJ? I guess I did.

Post by Clockgirlkelly »

Did you go to school with TJ?
I did. I was reluctant to say anything about it though. I'm glad someone else did first!

I had a huge crush on him in high school (TJ...if you are reading this...um...yes, I did...now you know :roll: ) Crazy. I was quite jealous of his girlfriend, Katie. Of course she was a perfect sweetheart. So, I couldn't dislike her much!

I haven't really spoken to TJ these last few years but I have friends who do. We were all in theatre together. As a matter of fact, he was my "son" in the play Spoon River. I called him "my boy" for the rest of our senior year. He sat next to me in Biology as well. I just thought he was great! I even wrote a short play about his becoming a famous broadway actor! Well, my short play didn't win any awards, but it earned me a C in Biology. It's a funny thing to look back though. TJ was fun and friendly and great to know. It's an honor to be able to say, I knew him when...and a little weird to hear people going on and on about his great hair and where they had a TJ sighting or whatever. (I hope you don't mind TJ, but I couldn't help but share. However, I will draw the line at posting any incriminating photos) JK! Well, that's all folks! Sweet dreams...
word count: 253
"Dress yourself for the dazzle of the light"

clockgirlkelly.etsy.com

myspace.com/clockgirl

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

I'm a little late reading your post, but thanks for sharing our memories of a teenaged TJ with us, ClockgirlKelly. It's always uplifting to hear again and again what a wonderful guy TJ was--and still is. Plenty of the popular celebrities turn out to be screwed up, or jerks, or both, but not our TJ. It makes us proud to be his fans!
word count: 66
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Clockgirlkelly
Fan

Post by Clockgirlkelly »

I'll tell you one thing, if he ever needs a self esteem boost, THIS is the place to come :)
word count: 20
"Dress yourself for the dazzle of the light"

clockgirlkelly.etsy.com

myspace.com/clockgirl