Site Ideas And Preferences Thread

Archived threads that are no longer active-this section is read only
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Site Ideas And Preferences Thread

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well, people have now started making suggestions on what they want to see onsite and it is all getting very exciting, so this thread is for your direct input. Say what you want here (or pm themanagementteam) either in terms of looks or content, and we will try to accommodate you.

Some of TJ's ideas (just possibilities, a twinkle in the eye at the moment) may interest you. He says he wants to use the 'videobox' they're playing around with on the home page to feature different commercials or movie clips of his, to be changed regularly. The day after a Bones ep airs he would also like to play his favourite scene onsite and do a kind of blog to say why he likes it! He's going to answer all your 'interview' questions, loves that idea (I thought that when he's done it we could put it up on one of the main pages rather than just consign it to the message boards), and he is going to do a photo shoot on Friday just because we said we all want more up to date shots, isn't the boy a sweetie (as Angela might say)?

Come on you lot! Tj's putting out for you! What more would you like to make this your favourite site on the Net??
word count: 225
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thank you for this wonderful (and wonderfully informative) post, ThyneAlone.

I've already sent a (lengthy) message to themanagementteam, so I won't bore people with my ramblings here. Suffice it to say, most of my points were in regard to formatting, text, and layout, but I hope they find it helpful. I can't wait to see what they decide to do with the site, and in the meantime, I'll keep mulling, see what bubbles up to the surface. :D

I have to say, I love TJ's idea about the videobox and favorite scene with the explanatory blog. What a great idea. I'd love to know what his favorite scenes are and what he sees in them or appreciates most, whether it's his own work in it or the work of one of his colleagues.

I do think, layout-wise, that it would be good to put a little more space in between his picture (at the top of the home page) and the videobox, maybe put the 'welcome' paragraph in between so the videobox is distinguishable and set apart as important on its own merits, if that makes any sense.

As I mentioned privately to Steph, I think it's fantastic that TJ is getting involved in this site and inviting us to give our thoughts. I appreciate the Management Team and the work they're doing, and am gratified that they're not only including us but also actually listening to our opinions and ideas. Class act, all around, you people.

TJ, I greatly look forward to reading your answers to the interview questions, and to seeing your new photo shots. Thank you so much for taking that time.

And no matter what new pictures you take, do NOT take away that marvelous photo under Shots, the eighth one... the one where you're standing, looking down at the skull. I love that photo; it's so contemplative. It's modern-looking yet reminds me of Hamlet. It's simply terrific and definitely my favorite. Don't ever get rid of that one. Promise me. *GRIN*
word count: 352
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Thanks for passing on this great news Steph. It completely reaffirms my desire to promote this wonderful actor and really sweet guy!

Hearing from TJ directly is what has been missing from this site to set it apart from other fan sites. With TJ personally involved, this site will attract his fans and keep the fandom growing.

Thanks TJ!

Rebecca
word count: 60
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well, it really feels like he is hungry to be involved. Photo shoot yesterday and a mention of interview questions again recently. What a star.
word count: 25

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

When I read things like this, it only reinforces how impressed I am with the guy. I respect him tremendously.

(And on a 'shallow' note... can't wait to see the new photos!) :D
word count: 33

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

This is definitely one of my favourite sites to visit ... when I can remember to check! I promise I'll get better at that :)

So far the site is pretty spectacular, and I love the layout and the photos (though I'd love new ones!!). I guess the only big thing that I think is missing is what Rebecca already said - something from TJ himself. I know he's willing to do more, too, so it would be nice to see maybe a personal message from him - or a few posts over here in the forum. I hope that's not asking for too much - I know he's a busy guy! However, with his latest updates on MySpace, he seems very involved over there already!

Also - what about a chat option? I know that's been brought up before, but maybe there could be an organized chat once a week or month ... and perhaps TJ could arrange to show up for one or two? That would be incredible! We could keep them short, of course.
word count: 176
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

:D
Ever tried keeping a chat short!!??
Will ask.
word count: 8

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

I totally support the chat idea, it would be more than awesome! :D
the site is great and at least for now I don't have any comment to be added. As to the message board (aka, this message board XD) it would be useful if you mods could switch the "fast reply" option on for every thread, it's more faster and easy... :P

thanks youuu and i'm looking forward to see tj's new photos!
word count: 76
~ s o f i

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

OK, well..beginner here, not sure how to do that yet (how is it different btw?), but haven't been given the mod powers yet anyway, so give me time to assimilate. Chat is something we are going to look into. I love being with people in real time myself, but remember, one of the Good Things about us is we are scattered everywhere, we'd have to find times to chat that suited a lot of time differences. Gonna put it forward to our Powers That Be onsite.

I had a thought I've put to them, an idea for another thread here.

You know we have a thread for questions we want to ask TJ and that the first lot has gone out for him to answer? Well I thought why not ask him politely to choose 5 questions of his own that he'd like to ask each one of us and then post to answer them for ourselves?

He gets to know us a bit and is participating in the forum in a relaxed way. What's not to like?
word count: 184

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

While I like the site as far as content, I am not a big fan of the color scheme. Thats a minor thing though, its not going to stop me from visiting, but it is a bit hard on the *old* eyes with the black background with the blue words. So I switched my profile setting to a better color scheme but I have to highlight everything ThyneAlone posts so I can read it since is yellow on white now. Just can't win. ;)
word count: 84

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Yep we've all mentioned the colour scheme! Nobody likes black! I like the blue, but it does make names hard to read.

I chose yellow to make life easier for people quoting me! Originally it was almost impossible to see quotes on the black background, and changing colours at least made it stand out, with yellow being the least of the eye killers. Then I stuck with it because it makes it so easy to see where I last made a post. Sorry about that!
word count: 86

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Oh, no problem, I wasn't complaining about your yellow because its no big deal to highlight what you write. I know when I just read the board without logging in that the yellow is easy to read so I know why you use it! My complaint is definitely about the dark background and light colored words, the blue is fine, but dark backgrounds are known in the programming world as a bad choice. :)

Sharon
word count: 75

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I talked about the color scheme of the site in a PM I sent to the management team, but I don't think they've had a chance to read it yet. I know they're pretty busy and I imagine they've probably got 'regular' jobs on top of organizing this site, so I remain patient. :D They'll get to it when they can.
You know we have a thread for questions we want to ask TJ and that the first lot has gone out for him to answer? Well I thought why not ask him politely to choose 5 questions of his own that he'd like to ask each one of us and then post to answer them for ourselves?

He gets to know us a bit and is participating in the forum in a relaxed way. What's not to like?
I suppose it depends on the questions he asks, LOL. ;)

Seriously though, if it's something TJ would like to do, I'm game. Clever idea, Steph.
word count: 172

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:I talked about the color scheme of the site in a PM I sent to the management team, but I don't think they've had a chance to read it yet. I know they're pretty busy and I imagine they've probably got 'regular' jobs on top of organizing this site, so I remain patient. :D They'll get to it when they can.
Hmm hmm, well, you took a lot of trouble and wrote a lot, and, being as I emailed them to tell them all about it and they acknowledged, I think it should have been picked up by now...meseemeth a second mail might be en route soon!
word count: 114

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

*laughs*

Maybe they don't want to read it because it's from me and they know I lean toward the message of the lengthy kind. ;)

Thanks for sticking up for me and what I wrote, Steph. As I mentioned in my message to them, I don't know if they'll find any of it helpful or if they already have everything they need in order to update the site, but I just jotted down some thoughts based on the site questions they asked. Most importantly, I don't want to be thought of as a pain in the ass, so I hope you don't give them too hard a time on my behalf. Then again, you always word things brilliantly, so I trust you. :D

Addendum to my post: I just got the chance to read the new message on the Home page -- fantastic job, M team! Sounds like you are up to your neck in news clippings, interviews and video footage. I know it will be great. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.
Last edited by Sinkwriter72 on Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 177

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I like the idea about TJ asking us 5 questions. It'd be interesting to see what he'd like to know as well as the answers from the other members here.

Also, I was wondering if there is a thread to ask questions about the show? Not to TJ, but just general questions that other members would be able to answer. On another board I'm on for another show, its just the Q&A thread for the show, so when people start to wonder about something they have a place to ask. Usually someone knows the answer. :) Plus it helps keep all of that in one place rather than a lot of threads with just one question each. Anyway, just a thought. :)

Sharon
word count: 125
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

skftex wrote: Also, I was wondering if there is a thread to ask questions about the show?
Answering your own question, I suspect there Sharon...no...because this isn't a show board! :D It's all about The Man, and of course it is not easy to ask questions about TJ that can be answered by other members.

I know what you mean, and I think it is a good idea but we will limit it to the Bones forum, at least for the minute. I'm very conscious that Bones is the most famous and popular thing that TJ's done so far, but I don't want it to take over.

OK, heading across to make one for you. If there's one thing the members of this board like, it's order and everything in its right place - we're pretty anal retentive really - so it'll be popular!
word count: 152

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Right I meant on the Bones section not here on the TJ section because that wouldn't make any sense. Thanks! :D
word count: 21
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

ThyneAlone wrote:Chat is something we are going to look into. I love being with people in real time myself, but remember, one of the Good Things about us is we are scattered everywhere, we'd have to find times to chat that suited a lot of time differences.

Love the idea of the chat option. I know it will be difficult because of the different time zones we are in. Maybe once a month on weekends. Hey, I would get up in the middle of the night to chat with you all! :)

ThyneAlone wrote:You know we have a thread for questions we want to ask TJ and that the first lot has gone out for him to answer? Well I thought why not ask him politely to choose 5 questions of his own that he'd like to ask each one of
Great idea, Steph! He and we will know us better!
Oh, I love to spend time here! :)
word count: 161
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Just wanted to say how much better I like the "TJ Video" box, how it's now placed at the upper right corner (as opposed to directly underneath his home page picture). With it in the corner, it's not detracting from the photograph, and at the same time it's still within immediate eye-view, so you notice it and can click on it for the fun commercial (or whatever clip-o'-the-day/week/month/whatever you may choose to put in there every once in a while). Looks great! :D

A side question: Is there another word to use instead of 'Gossip' (for that new section listed at the bottom of the page)? I don't know what sort of info you plan to list under there, but when I hear 'gossip' I immediately think personal info we have no right to know, or I think of tabloid kind of 'journalism' (and I'm sorry to be snarky but I use the term 'journalism' loosely in this particular case). If it's going to be a place for splashes of TJ information, I'd love to see another word chosen, something a little more positive-sounding.

Does that seem silly or nit-picky? What do you all think?
word count: 210