Bones 1.09 The Man In The Fallout Shelter

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Bones 1.09 The Man In The Fallout Shelter

Post by ThyneAlone »

OK, so I made a decision. It’s a quiet period, of necessity, just now, thanks to the writers’ strike. We’ve talked a lot about the episodes we like and I have spoken about the reviews we used to write weekly when I was a frequent visitor to tv.com/bones. Well, pitilessly regardless of length, I am going to re-post my reviews here, with the intention of stimulating some much-missed Bones discussion. Hope they give you pause for thought!

Stay where you are, people, I need a bit of ... help ...with ...this ... wine...that's it, thanks, just put that one to chill and this to chambrer. And I'll go grab those bowls for the nibbles. You've done a nice job with that tree. Love the scent of pine. OK, don't look; I'm putting the presents underneath. It's lovely and warm in here after all that snow outside.

Good. Scene set. I shall recline on this beanbag thing and tell you what I think about The Man In The Fallout Shelter.

Well, it's just Christmas in a screen package, isn't it? It does things which are apparently clichéd but *work*. The atmospherics, the shorthand in the first minute to get the feeling across, the party, the music, the mistletoe. And it's all about real giving and the meaning of Christmas without being 'Hallmarky' (yes, DB, I will resent that comment on this ep for the rest of your natural life). In fact, there is a lot of mutual comparison going on in those sleeping bags. Jack and Zach compare their ideal Christmas celebrations, Goodman and Booth compare their kids and, though Angela and Brennan don't particularly discuss it, there is the implicit beginning of a comparison between Brennan's situation and Ivy's.

As I have said before here, all excellent series have a quarantine-type ep so the characters get a chance to bounce off one another in a confined space and give us a little more of themselves. And they deliver! We find out loads about their families - Zach's huge extended Lutheran bunch, Booth's little boy, Goodman's daughters, Angela's dad and even a wee bit more on the Christmas Brennan's parents vanished. Hodgins is the only one whose past remains something of an obvious gap. Attitudes to Christmas and religion are covered in some detail and we get a handle on what will become a serious point of conflict for BB in S2.

The gift theme runs throughout. Booth is trying to convince Brennan that just because a gift goes both ways and gives pleasure to the giver and the recipient, this does not mean it is a selfish and self-promoting consumerist act, and Angela tries to get her involved with the Secret Santa for exactly the same reason. It takes her gift to Ivy Gillespie to soften her enough to finally open her carefully stored present from her parents - perhaps the start of healing, given that she seems to be forgiving them. Of course, there is a genuine physical gift exchange and this is important because these people are really thinking about one another and asking themselves what their co-workers would like. Interesting that both Booth and Hodgins come to Brennan for advice and are turned away! Anyway, what they end up giving is understanding, and a bit of themselves, so the warm light on their faces does indeed suffuse giver and receiver. Especially when Booth nearly shakes Zach's arm off. Notice that Brennan's phone calls are overlaid with the others making and wrapping their presents - because the phone calls are her gift. That's why we all dissolve into tears at the end when Ivy says, "What could be better? You've given me back my life." And if we hadn't got the message, listen to the music as Booth carries Parker off at the end - there is just a smidgeon of 'The 12 Days of Christmas'.

There is so much more I want to say about this episode! As I was watching it, I was suddenly struck with the beautiful filming of it. I guess you have to use a lot of imagination if you are going to stay in the same setting for 45 minutes, and the camerawork is wonderful. The colours are warm and bright and the lab has that fantastic blue colour that makes TJ's eyes look like stars. We see people from all sorts of angles - over shoulders, through equipment, on bridges and scaffolding. At one point Angela's frustration and impatience are conveyed by a hilarious shot of her elfin foot tapping - now that is funny and clever visual shorthand. So is that 'Be kind, rewind' moment when the squints are shown in a line reacting in unison! The sleeping bag shots are also brilliantly done and so is the initial office discussion where they establish that they're stuck, and that guy in the Father Christmas suit is on every screen in the place - it's interesting because they don't have to look directly at him as they talk, he is everywhere!

The humour is ubiquitous. Sometimes it is in what people do. Zach and Jack as the naughty boys trying to spike the egg nog, Hodgins walking away from the Grinch conversation ('I wasn't the one who told you.') - has anyone noticed just how funny that little walk is? - Jack's smile *sigh* when he says 'it doesn't mean God doesn't love me!' Zach's robot that watches reruns of Firefly when you tell it to take out the garbage, the squints trying, under Angela's and Booth's amused raised eyebrows, to determine a good way to organise a random Secret Santa, or blaming each other for their difficult situation. And sometimes it's all in the sharp dialogue. Some of my favourites?

You're the Grinch on purpose!
That's not a party, it's a Star Wars convention.
Still enjoying your medication I see.
I ruin the true truth with facts?
Nothing brings people together like a Christmas lung fungus.

I am not going to go on about the drool pool aspect of this episode. Everyone knows about the best visuals there and of course, it's my most treasured clip - as are TJ's expressions during and after. But I will comment on him with his masseuse - yes it is not just a lustfest, there does seem to be some real feeling there. And all the visiting scenes have real poignancy (hasn't Eric got long fingers by the way! Do you have to have long hands to get on this show? Does it help with the gloves?)
What don't I like? Well, I find the implication that Brennan more or less lives at the lab and certainly keeps all her treasures from the past there slightly unconvincing. And is that Tori Amos doing that lame version of 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' where you can't actually hear the word 'Christmas'? I just find that a bit annoying.
word count: 1196
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Callieach
Fan

Re: Bones 1.09 The Man In The Fallout Shelter

Post by Callieach »

Okay, I have to admit that whenever anyone brings up this episode, my shallow side immediately thanks the Powers That Be for decontamination showers and my patriotic side (however small it may be) feels the need to point out that Canadians, weirdo Frogs are not, should always be the ones to "go with," in Jack's words. What? I'm fifteen. I'm allowed to be like this.

But there is so much to love about this episode. I like the fact that it's a heartwarming holiday story and one of those crime drama episodes about being quarentined without being cliched in either catagory. Brava! I'm also a huge sap for friendship and, for the first time in the series, I feel like Angela cares more about Brennan than just who she's screwing. Example: the scene with Goodman, Brennan, and Booth on the catwalk, and Angela enters. I can't remember the dialogue exactly, but at one point Brennan exclaims "Angela!" and Angela's response is something along the lines of: "I'm sorry, sweetie, but it's true." I love that so much. Because friendship isn't just about talking about boyfriends and how your partner wants to sleep with you, it's saying the things your friend doesn't want to hear.
In fact, all of the degrees of companionship in this episode are worth watching over and over again, for me. The sleeping bag scenes are each poignant in their own way. Brennan and Angela's, because we've already learned they're best friends and know enough about how they act and interact. Jack and Zack's, because, while it's never been said how close the two of them are, the way they interact, especially here, show the audience the bond they have. Maybe it's just TJ's style of acting, but whenever I see scenes with these two, I can't help but feeling they'd be the type of friends to always be there for each other, even if they never used the word 'friend'. On the other end of the spectrum, there's Booth and Goodman, who we've hardly seen on screen together before or since. The amount of respect between the two of them is admirable and oddly unique, seeing as their respect for the reason they're together, Bones, is usually lurking well below the surface.

The dialogue in this episode is as sharp as the first season ever was, and I love the little things, like Angela's elf shoes on the 24th and Zack touching his hand to the glass for every member of his family that showed up and Brennan watching her colleagues meet with their families and be upset that they're not together. I love the complete and utter dorkiness of the Squints. I've never heard such complex suggestions for Secret Santa ("Six." "There's no six.") and, for the record, graduated cylinders are hard to string together.
word count: 499
xox.

"I am not a party trick!"

English Al
Fan

Post by English Al »

Errr. I really like this episode :lol:

Too early in the morning for using big words on the net. The old grey matter is still semi-unconscious.

Watched this one last night. Nearly missed it because we skipped on and watched the following two eps. Saw the dialogue between Bones and Booth about Parker and thought: "Hang on. We haven't seen the ep where he was introduced."

Anyway It's great how most of the episode (apart from the final scene) is in the lab. Makes it cheaper for the show I guess (lack of co-stars included).

It was a really touching episode with lots of sentiment. I think the star of the episode is Angela. She had a great costume and her Christmas Tree and Secret Santa idea really made the episode. I loved the presents they gave each other, especially Zack handing over the robot to Seeley for Parker.

Definately one to watch again at Christmas.
word count: 159

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

...but also with very funny moments! Love that episode, too. Somehow I just felt the need to watch it last Christmas again. When I watch it I always ask myself "what is Christmas about for me"? It is about family, of course, but it's now always a bit sad, because a lot of my family members died in the past few years and...well it is just not the same anymore!
Last edited by TJ4ever on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 72
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Ellen
Super Fan

Post by Ellen »

I love this episode too. It always makes me think about what's important at christmas, and it has to be my family. See, television can be educational and we can ALL benefit from it. lol. That's what i'm telling my parents. lol. :D
word count: 45
"What if it doesn't end like that? What if it doesn't go wrong?"-Dr Jack Hodgins

llamalah
Fan

Post by llamalah »

I realise that this is a very very old topic but Im just watching this ep again with a friend who's just experiencing the wonder of bones for the first time. Its one of my fav. eps so Ive seen it a ga-zillion times and for the first time I noticed that TJ says his lines muddled up during the scene where he calls Brennan a grinch.

He says: 'Goodman doesn't get to see his family, zac doesn't get to see his kids, booth doesnt get to see his son... '

Instead of Zac - family, Goodman - kids. I have no idea why i didnt notice it before because its pretty clear.

Anyways.. thats all.

Peace hot people!
word count: 120

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

llamalah wrote: He says: 'Goodman doesn't get to see his family, zac doesn't get to see his kids, booth doesnt get to see his son... '

wow!! Never caught that eventhough I've watched it - well let's just say I've stopped counting.. :lol:
Nice spotted, Ange.. Think I'll watch that epi tonight.

TMitFS is also one of my fav epis - everything I wanted to say abt it has already been said..
word count: 74

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I've seen that error listed before. It's kinda funny. :P

However, if you want a big error, watch the episode closely & you'll notice that the first scene showing Hodgins drinking eggnog (hiding from Crystal) & Zack working on the bones occurs BEFORE Angela orders them to the party, BEFORE Hodgins heads to the party with alcohol to spike the nog, & BEFORE Brennan hands over the bones to Zack for cleaning. This creates a plethora of continuity issues involving the bones, the nog, & Hodgins' attempt to blame Angela for the lockdown -- "Who forced me to go to the party where I drank too much and had to hide from Crystal?"

Still one of my favorite eps, though. :D
word count: 117
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

llamalah
Fan

Post by llamalah »

Jade. I knew it was weird when he said that to Ange about it being her fault. I couldn't work out why it was weird. You have answered the anomaly. I suppose the answer would be that the two scenes (initial egg nog and then the contamination scene) were meant to go together? maybe? cos of the antlers. everything comes back to the antlers. in my mind anyways. Was hodgepodge wearing the antlers when zach and him were taking the alcohol to the party? in my mind, he isnt but I have had tequila since then, so its all a little fuzzy.
happy evening!

I really wanna go back and watch it again (again again?!?) but we are up to the airplane ep, where they try and fake out goodman and zach talks waaaay too fast (...if your wondering.. my friend is new to bones so we are watching them in order.. this is ep 6 today!.. i dont want to confuse her so I will go watch it again when she has gone home.. which will be tomorrow - cos of the tequila)
word count: 184

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

llamalah wrote:Jade. I knew it was weird when he said that to Ange about it being her fault. I couldn't work out why it was weird. You have answered the anomaly. I suppose the answer would be that the two scenes (initial egg nog and then the contamination scene) were meant to go together?
I believe so. I'm not sure if they intentionally divided it up for pacing or something without realizing that it created errors, or if it was just a mistake in editing. I always find it amusing that I generally seem to be the only person on any board that ever noticed it, though. :roll: I think it was actually the alcohol that tipped me off the first time. He's pouring the alcohol into a beaker... then next we see him, he's back from the party, drunk with an eggnog in his hand & antlers on his head... then he's got the alcohol in his hand again heading for the party... then he's back in Zack's ooky room with his nog & antlers. Something just seemed off about that. :P
word count: 187
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I'm going to stand up and be counted and say that I recognised that continuity error early on (my brain couldn't quite register why the shutdown should be Angela's fault..). It didn't irritate me too much though. Not like Hodgins getting his Zack & Booth bits mixed up. That still annoys me vaguely when I hear it. I notice I didn't give either of these bloopers space in my original review, so perhaps I was more tolerant and forgiving in those days!
word count: 86

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Neither one really "annoy" me, I don't think, but I suppose I see the scenes as a bigger thing. I guess I figure that anyone can flub a line & it only messes up that one sentence, but the out-of-order scenes mess with the whole space-tme continuum. LOL Then again, I suppose you could see the bad line as messing with reality by insisting that Zack has children. :think:
word count: 71

llamalah
Fan

Post by llamalah »

thanks. now I have the random imagine in my mind of zack with an infant. and that is just amusing.
word count: 20

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Isn't that the episode where Hodgins had no shirt on!?! And you've noticed the bloopers? :lol: :wink: :romance-smileyheart:
word count: 17

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

LOL well it's taken quite a long while and many, many viewings, Simone!! :)
word count: 14

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

I guess so!!! :laughing-lettersrofl: Think I need to watch it a bit more often! Still haven't noticed the bloopers! :wink: :lol:
word count: 19

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Well, to be fair, the out-of-order scenes occur before the guys get naked, so I wasn't quite as distracted. ;)
word count: 22

llamalah
Fan

Post by llamalah »

yes yes.. well.. I think I have watched that one about a gazillion times.
that might be a slight exaggeration.. but not much.

Plus. He was fully clothed when the lines got flubbed. Maybe it took this long to notice (4yrs! haa) because the first million times watching, still distracted by nekkidness, then the next million watching in frustration cos the nekkidness is covered up again.. and then... finally noticed it.

hmm.
or something like that.
word count: 76

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

Here I go again reviving a somewhat old forum. Since I'm done with season 1 I'd have to say that this episode is my favorite of them all. WARNING: My review is superficial compared to the earlier ones by the rest of you.

Hodgins and Zack's shower scene was a good dose of eye candy. It was funny, but the bare chests froze my laughter. I have a weakness for bare chests. Angela's pushiness, once again, irritated me, but her speech was a good one. I guess that I've been pushed to do things I didn't want to do for so many years has made me an advocate to people who are pushed to do things they don't want to do. Angela means well, but she really sends me into a anger daydream where I tell her off. Zack's take on the true meaning of Christmas is close to my view of it, but not quite. I know everybody has their own view of what the true meaning of Christmas is, so I'll stop there. Angela's idea of Secret Santa was cool and the fact that she took time out to talk with Brennan about why she's against gifts was touching. I didn't really care for her publicly chastising Brennan about doing for that lady what she would want about her parents, but that's what tough love is, I guess.

Seeing everyone's family members was sweet. Booth and Goodman bonding because of being parents was great. It felt as if Goodman was being advisor and counselor to Booth. Zack's robot not working at first was funny, but then my laughter turned into an "aww" when he gave it to Booth for Parker. I felt sad when everyone was excited to be leaving, but Brennan was left alone by herself. I'm glad she joined Booth and Parker at the cafe, though. The episode ended on a happy note, and I like those kinds of episodes.
word count: 340

boo
Fan

Post by boo »

I loved that espisode!! One of my all time favorite lines was in that episode. Booth says to Brennan, "Yeah, well, nothing brings people together like a Christmas lung fungus." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lots of great stuff there, including our first peek at a half nakey TJ. :drool:
word count: 44
I demand another beetle. Jeff has a groin pull.