Bones 9.16 The Source in the Sludge

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
omelette73
Super Fan

Bones 9.16 The Source in the Sludge

Post by omelette73 »

My relationship with the show it definitely changed, there was a time in which the hiatus was terrible, now I do not freak out for the waiting as I used to do, but when the show is back I realize how much I missed the team, especially when I enjoy an episode as I enjoyed this one.

I loved the all conspiracy/terrorism, and the CIA vs. FBI storyline, I appreciated also the fact that the writers brought up Hodgins storyline, not that I think that they did any justice to him, but at least they didn't behave like this isn't a huge elephant in the room that everybody pretend not to see.

I liked Danny character, even though no matter how buddy-buddy he was with Booth, I don't see how he could get away for sleeping with someone he was supposed to protect and be professional with, most of all because there were a matter of national security behind the all mess...so...
Said that I have to say that I miss a serious storyline for Booth, it's been 9 years and we don't know anything about his past as soldier, just some hint here and then, but we didn't really get to have a serious insight in a part of his life that clearly contributed to make of him the man he is.
And again... why Booth seams not to have any friends from his life before the Jeffersonian? I would love to see him interact with someone like Danny, who shared his past... but it's like his life starts and ends with Brennan, and sometimes I miss to see what's behind the curtains.

By the way I really enjoyed the episode, not really cared about Daisy plot or the insurance thing, but I missed them all, so I'm more than happy for their return! :D
word count: 317

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Bones 9.16 The Source in the Sludge

Post by stargazer »

I agree about Daisy and the insurance storylines, I didn't really care what happened with either of them.

I thought the case was fairly interesting, how the CIA and FBI were working together to solve the murder. The one thing that I thought was surprising was when Booth was so quick to decide that Danny Beck was the murderer, even before the evidence with the knife was found. In the past, Booth has usually been very loyal and trusting of his old military friends, never accepting that they could be involved, so it felt wrong to me that he would immediately jump to that conclusion. I could understand how the rest of the team could consider Danny a suspect, but not Booth based on his past actions. I guess, maybe being married to Brennan has made Booth more likely to look at things objectively...OR he just doesn't trust the CIA, enough to doubt his old friend. I liked how they were still able to get the murderer in the end, even though he made a deal with the CIA to be freed.

The scene between Angela and Hodgins was sweet, a little strange that she compared him to the eels, but still sweet none the less. LOL! I also thought that Hodgins saying that they taught Michael Vincent to use the word "make" was hilarious! I've never heard that before, but I guess whatever works!! HAHA!!

And of course Caroline! I just love when she's in a episode and has witty smart-assed comments. I wonder if the fling between her and the guy doing the documentary ever panned out.....hmmm.....
Last edited by stargazer on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 276
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

stargazer wrote:I agree about Daisy and the insurance storyline, I didn't really care what
And of course Caroline! I just love when she's in a episode and has witty smart-assed comments. I wonder if the fling between her and the guy doing the documentary ever panned out.....hmmm.....
Oh...good point, totally forgot about that!
word count: 59

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Well I liked this one for the most part. I wish Daisy wasn't in it, and I actually sat through the nauseating scene with her and Sweets & didn't forward past her.

While the insurance thing was a bit strange, I did like when Brennan and Booth were talking about it and mentioned her shooting him. I like when they tie things into older episodes! Then Brennan told him that she didn't just shoot him she saved his life. That was great!

I liked the case, though I'm still a bit confused about the guy that killed her, he was a corporal in he Army but he was really rich and involved with the terrorists? If he had that much money why in the world would he join the military? Someone like that would hire someone else to do that part. LOL Or was he making money by helping them because he was the guard and that is where the money came from?

Booth and Danny are interesting together. I also like that relationship, because I do understand while he is someone from Booths past, not trusting the CIA about things seems very understandable (and I'm sure the CIA doesn't trust the FBI a lot either). Like Kathy I'm not sure why Booth was so sure that Danny killed her, there really wasn't a lot saying he did. I'm a bit iffy about how the CIA informant managed to disappear without them really knowing much about it though. That doesn't say a lot for their protection skills does it?

I liked at the beginning when they are collecting up the dead body and B & B are arguing about the insurance and Hodgins jumps in with the numbers thing, then as they continue to fight says "When will I ever learn." under his breath, and the funny face. TJ is so great at stuff like that. Also how excited he was about the lamprey! That is evidence! HAHA

Brennan and Daisy talking about Daisy failing her orals was funny but only because Brennan said she felt they weren't qualified to judge her and she made sure they knew it. That just makes me think of the faces of these stodgy old men being told by probably a very young woman that they are not as smart as she is. I loved the idea of that!

Anyway, I mostly liked this one, and I liked the video thing at the end with Angela, Cam, and Brennan. Three pretty strong and smart women right there! I realize it was a bit in your face but sometimes women need to make sure men know it. HAHA
word count: 452
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I forgot to say, the end thing with the UCMJ, I am not quite sure it that is possible. I might have to look that up HAHA But it made for a good ending anyway! It always frustrates Booth when someone gets away with something and I liked this time they didn't get away.

Sooo because I'm anal I looked it up, and it is possible IF the guy was retired or inactive reserve and receiving any sort of pay from the military. If he were receiving pay and NOT retired or inactive reserve it doesn't work. But since the guy said he tried to reenlist but couldn't pass the physical, most of the time they would be retired not just released from duty and discharged. And this is covered under Article 2 of the UCMJ. However, I don't know what Booth was talking about when he said the guy violated sections 104 through 118 because the UCMJ isn't set up that way. But still they pretty much got it right so isn't that cool? I'm so proud of them as they aren't very good with the military stuff on Bones a lot of times (but then TV/movies in general aren't usually).
Last edited by skftex on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 213
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Thanks for sharing about the military stuff Sharon! I was wondering if it was accurate. :)
word count: 15
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

JustJulz
Fan

Post by JustJulz »

Daisy... I was actually happy she failed! I kinda was hoping that she was going to be fired and that would be the last time I had to see her. Not one of my favourite characters I have to say.

I did like the episode, it was OK. Booth & Brennan are definitely "together" on all things and I like to see that. The little call back to old episodes was nice. I liked the 30 year old scotch, would have been perfect if they had drunk out of paper cups! or if she had just swigged straight from the bottle! wait.. that's me. haha!

I didn't really get the whole insurance thing, but you know, I just roll with every episode. I don't know how I feel about Freddy PrinzeJr. His eyes freak me out! LOLOL.. like alien eyes. I know they are supposed to be buddies, but I just don't feel it. I wonder if we are going to see him in future eps? Maybe they might explore that a bit more.

I can't say it will be one of those episodes I simply must watch again, but I did like it.

I am a bit excited right now, we're flying out to the USA tomorrow morning. The thought that I will actually be able to watch Bones live on TV on Mondays is so exciting for me! *snort* yes, small things excite me. I just have to hope we are in our hotel room and not gadding about when it's on! Otherwise I'm going to miss 8 weeks of Bones! What a marathon I'll have when I get home though!

Anyway, I probably won't be able to come here much, if at all while I'm away, so have fun, and enjoy our show!
word count: 306
In beer, there is strength. In wine, there is wisdom. In water, there's bacteria.

I drink vodka!
:dance:

missbee193
Fan

Post by missbee193 »

I loved this episode! I loved the message it had about hate and standing up for what you believe in no matter what. I loved Freddie Prinze Jr as Danny Beck again. I wish him and Hodgins had interacted - that would've been interesting.

TJ was great. Especially at the crime scene when he commented about Booth being more qualified in the field. I love it when Booth agrees with him as it doesn't happen often! And I always enjoy scenes where Hodgins exclaims that a bug is beautiful. Love his passion for his work.

Bring on next week's ep!
word count: 102
Hodgins (to Brennan): What you have is faith, baby. (Brennan laughs) Sorry, the "baby" thing is a reflex...

maryann
Fan

Post by maryann »

I enjoyed the ep as well. Loved when Brennan said how she would have helped at the crime scene but apparently she wasn't qualified to be in the field (I'm paraphrasing) LOVED the little scene between Angie and Hodges when she compared him to a lamprey- millions of years old, steadfast. I am so glad they allow these two to be happily married. They are true soul mates. I also really loved the cute scene at the end between Bones and Booth. I wasn't too big a fan of Danny, just really didn't do much for me but that's just me, I know he's a very popular actor. I'm just so thrilled to have them BACK!
word count: 123