Bones 9.20 The High in the Low

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Bones 9.20 The High in the Low

Post by stargazer »

I really enjoyed this one! I was very happy to see Wendell back on the job while struggling with his fight with cancer. It was hard watching the team try to be sensitive about his situation when he just wanted to be treated like everything was normal. Watching Cam let him go from his job was especially difficult because you could tell that it was the last thing that she wanted to do, but as the boss she has to be the one to enforce the rules. It reminded me of when Brennan was the suspect of a murder during the Pelant episodes and Cam had to insist on looking at the evidence objectively, pushing aside her personal feelings about the case.

I liked how Hodgins and Angela were quick to defend Wendell when they found out he had been fired. It was sweet to see them as a united front, even if they knew that Cam only did what she had to do. It was kind of funny seeing Hodgins' disgruntled attitude when him and Angela were showing Cam where the murder had taken place. Again, it reminded me of an older episode when Hodgins had to give Cam his "disapproving look", although in a more serious situation.

I thought Hodgins' little trick to get the termites off the bones was really cool. Just call him the termite whisperer! LOL!

Angela has a new toy!! I'm looking forward to seeing how THEO can help with cases in the future. :) It's interesting to think about the evolution of her machines from the beginning of the show with the Angelator, then the Angelatron and now THEO.

My favorite quote of the night was from Hodgins (of course) to Wendell: "Rockin' the naked noggin!" HAHAHA! Too funny! :D
word count: 297
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

omelette73
Super Fan

Re: Bones 9.20 The High in the Low

Post by omelette73 »

stargazer wrote:I really enjoyed this one! I was very happy to see Wendell back on the job while struggling with his fight with cancer. It was hard watching the team try to be sensitive about his situation when he just wanted to be treated like everything was normal. Watching Cam let him go from his job was especially difficult because you could tell that it was the last thing that she wanted to do, but as the boss she has to be the one to enforce the rules. It reminded me of when Brennan was the suspect of a murder during the Pelant episodes and Cam had to insist on looking at the evidence objectively, pushing aside her personal feelings about the case.
Loved that part especially too. Often Cam is somehow underrated as character, but I personally think is one of the most consistent in the show, probably because they messed with her past/present storyline/attitude as they did with Hodgins. She always have had this struggle between being a good friend and a good boss, and I love how she manges to be good at both, exactly as she have done with the Pelant/Brennan storyline you were talking about :)

I loved Hodgins and Angela too, and I'm glad we have seen them reacting to Wendell's cancer. After all Jack and Wendell are really close, and I really wanted to see Hodgins feeling about the all situation. While Booth and Wendell have more a big/little brother relationship, Jack and Wendell are friends, and Hosdgins is so sensitive when his friends are involved, and TJ always rocks when it comes to show strong emotions. Luckily I wasn't disappointed by the episode. I really think it was emotional without being too cheesy, the perfect balance.
I really like the way the team get together when someone is having trouble, it's something we don't see often in TV shows, but it's one of the major quality of Bones.
A really, really good episode. Loved it!
word count: 343

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I finally watched this one tonight. I liked it pretty well too even though I'm not a Wendell fan at ALL. I liked the case, the woman killed wasn't some horrible person. I loved all the bugs in the opening, and how happy Hodgins sounds when Booth and Brennan show up. I guess that was bug heaven.

Not that it is surprising but the scene with Angela and Hodgins and Cam was so well done by all of them. I loved the way TJ changed the way he said things, with that sort of halting and sad voice. Then the eye roll when they find the murder site, things like that are exactly why I love his acting. He puts so many of the little things into it that make a huge difference. I also feel that Cam was right and had to fire Wendell, they have to be so careful about evidence handling and Cam has always been a stickler for that. I'm always glad when they do give us a bit of continuity with the characters.

THEO, while cool, does make me wonder. Basically it looked like a somewhat fancier Angelanator, so why not say that it was an updated version instead of bringing in something different when we knew Angela was getting the original patented. Why not just make it her updated version since they apparently want some sort of 3D thing?

I have to admit, both the Wendell cancer episodes confused me a bit with the sudden introduction of a friendship between Wendell and Booth. Or maybe I just didn't pay attention but I never really saw a connection there before. They showed Angela and Hodgins with him a lot more. But that said, I did like that Booth and Brennan found a way for Wendell to go back to work. And his joke about bringing brownies to watch the game CRACKED ME UP, and how serious B & B took it! LOL

"Rockin' the naked noggin!" was a great line too. Oh and Hodgins got to go to the crime scene wearing regular clothes and a Jeffersonian jacket, not the coveralls he is usually wearing. Looked good in it! :romance-smileyheart:

word count: 367
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

skftex wrote:I have to admit, both the Wendell cancer episodes confused me a bit with the sudden introduction of a friendship between Wendell and Booth. Or maybe I just didn't pay attention but I never really saw a connection there before.
You didn't pay attention, is not sudden at all LOL
Without thinking to much I can give you 2 examples that Booth have a relationship with Wendell outside the work, they play hockey together (and we all know how much of a big deal sport is for Booth/David), and they have built their friendship from there I guess. Plus I remember in episode "The girl in the mask", when Brennan wanted to chose between the interns, that Booth said he liked Wendell because he was "normal" and it was something he appreciated.
I mean, it's true that we didn't see their friendship flourish in the show, but we know for sure that he is the only squinter Booth spend free time with. :)
word count: 169

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Well that doesn't surprise me that I wasn't paying attention, since I really don't like Wendell. HAHA Good examples Teresa, and yes I do remember those things now, thank you. I have to wonder though what is it that makes Arastoo and Clark not normal? The others I understand why Booth thinks they are weird but Arastoo and Clark seem pretty normal to me. They aren't weird like Fisher or annoying like Daisy. Plus Booth seems to like Sweets and he doesn't seem "normal" the way Booth would seem to think a person is normal.
word count: 100
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

I have an answer for that too! (how creepy of me?) LOL
Well, Arastoo is "normal" now, but he doesn't started like that, the all faking his accent was pretty weird at the beginning of his days as squint...and Booth is not comfortable with weird stuff.
Clark it's not an intern, he is (more of less) like Brennan, driven, intelligent... and - I quote episode 4x19 The science in the physicist - Booth doesn't like intelligent people, Brennan is the only smart person he likes, so be it.
I don't think Sweets is not normal, at least compared to the squints, he had a difficult past, but aside from that he his pretty normal, plus he is a people person, like Booth, that's why they get along.
Told you I'm creepy! :D
word count: 136

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I find Sweets to be a quite bit creepy. LOL Plus he doesn't seem to be a sports person like Wendell & Booth, and he is terribly geeky! Plus he liked Daisy. I've just started getting over my incredible dislike for Sweets but I'm not completely over it, I still don't always feel he is a necessary character and I honestly don't understand why Booth wouldn't feel he is creepy too.

Wendell is really smart, or he wouldn't be working there. Same with Cam and Booth had a relationship with her. I realize that none of them are Brennan smart but no one is, so still Booth must like some really smart people! Angela is also really smart, she'd have to be to do the things she does, and Booth liked her from the beginning, even though he did once accuse her of being "one of them" but looking and acting normal.

Yes, Clark isn't an intern now, but he was one when he first appeared.

Also I don't think it is creepy you know the show well. I think it is cool!

Also if you saw this and it disappeared it is because I was logged in as tjadmin and forgot so deleted it and redid it as me. :)
word count: 219

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Haha! You two are too funny and not at all creepy! ;) I have to be honest and admit that I also was wondering why Wendell and Booth seemed to be so close but I forgot about the hockey thing, so thanks for the reminder Teresa! :D I've never really had anything against Sweets, but he's definitely not normal in my opinion and not someone that Booth would connect with, other than the FBI thing. Maybe more normal than some of the other squinterns, but he also is a former death metal fan and Avatar fan. Enough said. HAHAHA!!
word count: 99
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

iamlladoc
Fan

Post by iamlladoc »

Hello everyone!
So this is what I think... I was really really sad the first time it was introduced in the Big in the Philippines that Wendell has cancer. I was even devastated mainly because he has been my favourite ever since Nigel Murray died. I was like, "why do the writers kill my favourite interns?" haha! I cried time and time and again, plus Charlie Worsham's song fits perfectly with the level of emotion in the last few minutes from that episode. Anyway... moving on to the High in the Low ep... I prepared myself emotionally and mentall that Wendell/Michael Grant Terry is gonna go and actually be fired. Althrough out the ep, there was a sense of uncomfortability(is that a word?) in the lab, of course, because of Wendell's case. I thought the gang delivered those emotions perfectly. You can really feel the sadness around and just how hard they're trying to keep things normal for Wendell.

I do love how Hodgins said, "rockin the naked noggin." Atleast he tried to keep things in a lighter mood. I love the way Brennan just looked at Wendell like a concerned mentor. Like, in a special way. I don't know if that makes sense, but yeah.
Then there was Angela hugging Wendell. That was the sweetest thing in that scene. After their whole past I thought that was just the perfect response to seeing Wendell back.(Although I did wished that they would've shown us her first reaction when she first found out about the cancer. Just wishful thinking.)

I just wanna give TJ, Tamara and Michaela for an excellent scene when Hodgela got mad at Cam for firing Wendell. That brings me to tears everytime. Especially TJ's acting. No joke. I would be just as pissed if I was in his position. Although I also thought of how hard it is for Cam as well to be looked at as the bad guy in the situation.

Through out the episode I thought he was really gonna get fired, so I got even more emotional in the end when they gave us that twist. Which makes me love this show much more cos it just proves that you can't really expect things to happen in Bones and expect it to happen 100% the way you want it to. And I love the unpredictability of it all. I love how the actors deliver each script with as close to an accurate representation of how people would normally respond when given these kind of situations.

PS: I do also love the growing friendship Booth and Wendell has. I've loved Booth-Wendell and Hodgins-Wendell friendship<3

Alyssa:P
word count: 456

missbee193
Fan

Post by missbee193 »

I really loved this episode! So good having Wendell back. He's definitely a favourite squintern of mine! I love how close Hodgins and Angela are with him. Even though there was that whole thing where Wendell dated Angela they all put that behind them and it's not awkward at all. And I love that. I love that Hodgins was willing to quit his job when Wendell was fired. And how Angela said, no Wendell would not want that. They both know him so well. Great episode all round! And great to see that Hodgins had some good scenes in the ep too. :D
word count: 104
Hodgins (to Brennan): What you have is faith, baby. (Brennan laughs) Sorry, the "baby" thing is a reflex...