Bones 10.02 The Lance to the heart

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
omelette73
Super Fan

Bones 10.02 The Lance to the heart

Post by omelette73 »

That's how much I like Hodgins, I kept track of the conspiracy, and boy, they did an awesome job with it, if someone need a summary, here it is:

Everything started with Stephanie McNamara, the ghost killer.
After her death Booth receive a phone call from a guy, Wesley Foster, who wanted to talk to him about the McNamaras, in fact he state that there was a mole inside the FBI who knew about Stephanie "activities" and protected her. When Booth accept to meet him, the guy is found dead. Luckily the team find a piercing he was wearing, which was a computer chip, with plenty of files and compromising infos about the Mcnamaras.
There is a name that often appear in this documents: Howard Cooper.
Cooper, dead 20 years prior for a leukemia, have worked for the Environmental Protection Agency. After a quick and suspect career inside the Agency, the team finds out that he died few month after he denied to the Sanderson Chemical a permit to build a plant in Chesapeake estuary.
Brennan and the team exhume Cooper's body to find the real cause of death.
Analyzing his remains they found out that, 5 years prior to his death, Cooper went to Bethesda Presbyterian, and the report of that night state that he fell from a stairway, when Brennan can prove he was hit by a car.
So B&B interrogate the doctor who had treated him that night: Glenn Durant.
Durant, at the beginning, lies to B&B, but then confess that he covered up the run over, because he was blackmailed for stealing drugs from the hospital and sell them to pay his Medicine School bills.
Aubry (the new guy from the FBI), follow this lead, and find out that the head of the security at Bethesda who had caught Durant stealing in a surveillance video was a guy named Jerold Norsky.
Norsky, as Cooper, did a pretty quick and suspect career as security guy, with some senators, the McNamaras and at Unitech, a subsidiary of the Sanderson Chemical.
Talking with him, B&B find out he was in the FBI when Hoover was there. Brennan recall that when Hoover was in charge at the FBI he had secret files on politicians, business leaders...and so on, and that all this documents was supposed to be destroyed after he died.
In the meantime, at the lab, the team finds out Cooper's cause of death: he was injected with a drug which reacted with his chemotherapy medicines, causing his death. The drug was developed by the Sanderson Chemical, so now they have the link to connect Sanderson to the murder and Caroline obtains a warrant to check their documents. When Sweets go to collect them, dies...

The team find out Sweets was killed by someone with military skills, Hodgins finds some fibers which leads Booth to a specific type of car and him and Aubrey are able to find the man: dead. His name was Kennet Emory, a former FBI and SEAL, performing his the autopsy Cam finds out that he was killed by someone who didn't want him to talk with the authorities.
After Hodgins says that this conspiracy is a growing/living organism, Angela start to connect the dots between all the people they know are involved in the conspiracy and finds out that Durant lied (yet again) to Booth, saying he didn't know Cooper, because they actually met in 2 different circumstances.
When Booth interrogates Durant, he says he is to scared to talk, and, after Booth promising protection, reveals that Norsky is behind everything, but when Booth talks to him, Norsky refuses to confess anything.
Using Angela research, with Hodgins and Aubrey, they understand that the Hoover's secret files are the key to the case, and they find out the last link they needed, the name of the person to whom Hoover could have left his secret files: Desmond Wilson who was one of Hoover's aides.
Thanks to a photo, Brennan understands that Desmond Wilson was Durant's stepfather.
In the meantime, at the lab, they find out that - when the killer injected the drug in Cooper system to get rid of him - he accidentally transferred his DNA in Cooper's marrow, but they do not have a match for this new evidence.
Booth go talking to Durant, pick up a fight, and struck him, so now Brennan has the blood to compare with the DNA they find in Cooper's marrow, and Durant is the conspiracy man!
Last but not least, they need to find all Hoover's secret files or Durant can blackmailing his way out of jail.
Using Sweets' notes and approach to the case, they find out that the files are in Hoover's office, in one of the most popular Jeffersonian's exhibit.
And the team win!

They really kicked ass with this conspiracy, it was good writing!
(and man, it was hard to summarize everything in English, sorry for the mistakes I certainly have done!)
word count: 846

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 10.2 The Lance to the heart

Post by ThyneAlone »

Wow thank you Teresa, that was incredible writing and understanding!
Now thing is, you see, I remember all this stuff as individual cases but as to 'joining the dots', I had difficulty.

I think what it is is that as the conspiracy becomes more complex I lose track of motivation So yes, at the start, I can see it revolves initially round Stephanie's activities (what exactly did Pelant know about them by the way and did he or was he going to use that knowledge at all?), but then I get to thinking, well why would someone in the FBI want to protect her in the first place, then, just as I am getting my head round that, this Cooper guy shows up and already I'm not quite sure where he fits in. The latter part of it all, of course, I haven't seen, so that doesn't help. But essentially my brain keeps saying tell me more about these files, why is it so important that all these people die to hide the trail? And I am going to rewatch the last few eps of S9 as soon as I can, because I didn't 'get' that shoot-out in the BB home at all. My brain had switched off in some bewilderment and I was trying to do some schoolwork simultaneously! But NOW hubby has bought me the box set!! Watch this space for better comprehension! And, once more thank you Teresa, for attemoting to excise my mental block in what has felt to me more like a maths problem than a narrative! :)
word count: 268
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

MariaDiaper
Fan

Post by MariaDiaper »

That was amazingly written - thankyou for the summary! I thoroughly enjoyed the conspiracy story - it was very interesting and kept me guessing all the way through. I felt the writers did the whole arc extremely well, and Sweets' death made it tbh. Don't get me wrong, I love Sweets, I just feel that the conspiracy was so big that they had to have a character die.
Thanks to the writers for giving JFD and Sweets a beautiful sendoff - his jam was a lovely touch.
Looking forward to how Daisy will progress now; she has grow on me as she was so strong working with Lance's bones.
word count: 108
Met TJ on 12/07/2014 at London Film & Comic Con.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Teresa that was well done to connect everything. Thanks. However even reading that leaves me with one HUGE question. The conspiracy thing is not solved correct? Because Durant didn't work for the FBI....so who is the powerful FBI guy that was protecting McNamara????

Desmond Wilson was dead, so he didn't have any power within the FBI. Norsky was in a retirement home, couldn't be him. Emory was FORMER FBI so wasn't him, plus he wasn't high ranking even when he was there if he went to Quantico with Aubry. Sorry for me this means either this conspiracy thing isn't over, or they conveniently forgot that someone IN THE FBI was protecting McNamara.

Also, I know it is just a TV show but I do expect it to be somewhat believable, and now they are expecting us to believe that the curators of an exhibit at the Jeffersonian don't recognize real documents when they see them?? So basically, that means that the Jeffersonian sucks as a museum and you can't trust that any of their exhibits are worth anything. If they can't recognize real documents they can't be trusted to be showing real artifacts either!
word count: 205
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

skftex wrote:Teresa that was well done to connect everything. Thanks. However even reading that leaves me with one HUGE question. The conspiracy thing is not solved correct?
It is!
Because Durant didn't work for the FBI....so who is the powerful FBI guy that was protecting McNamara????
Desmond Wilson was dead, so he didn't have any power within the FBI. Norsky was in a retirement home, couldn't be him. Emory was FORMER FBI so wasn't him, plus he wasn't high ranking even when he was there if he went to Quantico with Aubry. Sorry for me this means either this conspiracy thing isn't over, or they conveniently forgot that someone IN THE FBI was protecting McNamara.

The guy is Norsky, he is in a retirement home now, not 10 years ago when the first killing took place. They didn't say the guy was in the high ranking of the FBI, but they said he had the power to blackmail powerful people, because of the documents.
At least this is how I have interpreted everything.
word count: 182

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

But you even said that Foster was going to tell Booth there was a mole in the FBI, at the very beginning of your explanation of the whole thing. That implies a CURRENT mole not someone who had worked for the FBI during the J. Edgar Hoover years, which is when they said Norsky worked for them, I guess I missed that Norsky was still working for them 10 years ago, though it still makes no sense Foster would say "a mole in the FBI" rather than saying someone that used to work for the FBI had protected McNamara, past tense. I thought Norsky was a J. Edgar Hoover link not a current link (or even 10 years ago). See to me this whole thing was convoluted and the writers once again had characters say things then expect the fans to forget it was ever said (as in the so called Gormogon resolution).
word count: 153
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I also don't see how FBI agents can be sent to kill one of their own without someone actually within the FBI being part of it. Who exactly was Durant working with to get all that done? No way it was Norsky or if that is what we are expected to believe I find it ridiculous. As if FBI agents will do anything because some FORMER FBI agent said to do so.
word count: 73

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

I could easily answer to that, but then I should kill you for knowing to much! LOL
Obviously kidding, but there are spoilers involved to answer your questions and doubs and I don't want to ruin anyone's parade, so I'll shut up! :D
word count: 45

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Haha! Great summary Teresa! :D I guess I just need to go back and watch all of the episodes related to the ghost killer from the beginning.

I thought this episode was fine, but definitely not one of my favorites. There are so many people involved that it was a bit overwhelming, but I agree with Sharon that it makes more sense that someone currently working for the FBI was responsible for all the events that happened recently, instead of someone who was retired. I'm also surprised that they wrapped up the whole conspiracy within the first two episodes of the season, although I'm relieved as well. I'm not sure that I could have kept up with many more conspirators. LOL! I guess I'm simple and I just like the bad guys to be just one person or maybe a very small group of people. I think it's funny that the evidence/documents were in the Jeffersonian, right under their noses the whole time. It's a little unrealistic, but I guess it worked with the story that it all started back in J. Edgar Hoover's time. (thanks Sharon) ;)

Although I was sad at the end, I expected the whole episode to be a lot more somber. I thought it would revolve more around Sweets' funeral than it did. Brennan's speech was lovely and it was a nice send-off to a beloved character. I'll miss Sweets, but I don't think Aubry will ever be able to fill his shoes.
word count: 258
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

omelette73 wrote:I could easily answer to that, but then I should kill you for knowing to much! LOL
Obviously kidding, but there are spoilers involved to answer your questions and doubs and I don't want to ruin anyone's parade, so I'll shut up! :D
Well then just like I originally said, the conspiracy isn't completely over because they didn't find the FBI guy!!! No spoilers in saying that!

And there won't be any explanation that makes me like the "J. Edgar Hoover's files were in the Jeffersonian exhibit"
word count: 95

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

Mmm this episode seemed a bit long to me. Of course as I was under my blanket on the couch with fever didn't help much :D hahaha
I think it went faster when they discovered the whole thing and that the Hoover's files were in the Jeffersonian... It made this sound as if the writers didn't know how to end the case and wrote this fast with a surprising ending.

I think I will have to rewatch it :D

Véro :happy-smileyflower:
word count: 82
The waffle conspiracy...

HanaTheAwesomeOne
Fan

Post by HanaTheAwesomeOne »

OH WOW!!! Teresa you are Amazing!

Yeah I felt this episode was kinda rushed but Idk it was a good rushed though lol. This Conspiracy was hella dope though.

I gotta say Emily was Amazing in this (like she always is haha) but in that argument between B&B we saw the Brennan we all know and Love :) haha. That's the Brennan I've been missing: She doesn't back down and fights for what she wants :) And I Loved Brennan's speech it was so Brennan and so heartfelt :)

Yeah I was hoping it was someone currently in the F.B.I. but yeah I found it kinda Funny that the documents were in the Jeffersonian lol.

I might be one of the only ppl who likes Aubrey haha. I've liked him from the start :) lol.

That's all from me haha.
#Chur

word count: 146

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I felt that this overall was a bit meh, run-of-the-mill, plot-wise. It was, if I may quote others, rather underwhelming to have the whole huge affair, with all its tentacles, wrapped up in the space of an episode - but, for me, of course, something of a relief. I have absolutely minimal knowledge of Hoover so it was quite interesting, if confusing, to me to see it all play out. But no way would those papers have stayed there all that time (or even been put there, actually)! Unconvincing, much?

However, fortunately the ep was an uneven one. The script and character workings were wonderful, and this was another great reminder of the team as family. Emily got two storming speeches, one reminding us of the sense of justice, rationality, passion and integrity which have always been a huge part of Brennan's personality, and one to point up the way she has changed to the point that she considers love to be the crux and objective of human lives. This meant that the episode as a whole portrayed Brennan's development beautifully as well as her ability to turn Booth away from his feral gut reaction to everything that was happening. The scene at the end where they were saying goodbye to Sweets was genuinely moving. Daisy has definitely become a rounded character (in more ways than one!) and her honesty and loyalty are delightful to behold.

Equally smileworthy was the way the team teased out the truth from a web of lies and manipulation and moved irrevocably towards Durant. It's always so great to see them working together. And towards the end it was absolutely right for them to be working from Sweets' notes. It's not often you see Angela so in the midst of things and inspired by Hodgins. Hodgins has of course been a revelation throughout - at last, a proper conspiracy! - and yet again provided the foundation for the others to bounce off. TJ can deliver the goods when given more than the comic relief to play.

Aubrey is growing on me. However, I would really like to see a scene in which he is not eating ravenously!
word count: 367
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro