Bones 3.01 The Widow's Son In The Windshield

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Bones 3.01 The Widow's Son In The Windshield

Post by begolden »

Sorry Peeps, but I thought we'd better start discussing before we forget what we wanted to say! (Hopefully Ben can split the forum into more manageable threads sometime in the near future... sorry that I don't have those powers--I have none, to be exact :lol: )

Well, we just saw "Widow's Son in the Windshield." My first impression is that something seems different about the show. I'll have to rewatch a few more times to try to pinpoint exactly what, but I definitely felt like I was watching a new season.

One of the biggest changes is of course TJ's look. Not only is the excess hair gone, but his clothing style seems completely changed as well, making him seem like a totally different character (a little too hip, if you ask me). Although TJ looks really good, I'm not sure I feel comfortable with his character's new look just because he doesn't seem like Hodgins to me anymore. Maybe I need to give myself time to get over the initial shock (yes, I had seen his new look in all the spoiler pics and promos, but seeing him in the actual episode was something else altogether!). Michaela had almost the same effect on me. Although more beautiful than ever, she seemed completely stripped of all the fun and flair that represents the Angela I know and love. Last season we saw her come to work looking less and less like a party girl, but in this season opener she looked positively drab! (but gorgeous, nonetheless).

The Jack and Angela scenes were as they were in the spoilers. I think I was disappointed at how little emphasis their storyline had in this episode. The two or three perfunctory Angela-needs-to-find-her-husband scenes seemed rushed and out of place in the episode. I do have to say that sans beard, we really get to see TJ's range of facial expressions as Angela and the private investigator talk about the elusive husband! And of course we got a very nice little kissing moment at the end of one of those scenes. I imagine that Michaela is enjoying kissing TJ a lot more now that she doesn't have to go bushwacking to find his mouth. Perhaps I'm reading more into it than I should, but the kiss between them seemed much more natural and sensual than any they had last season.

Sadly, it's time for me to go to work, so I must close for now. I look forward to reading everyone else's comments!
word count: 436
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Hey, Rebecca!

I, too, felt like I was definitely watching a new season of this show. It was a pretty good episode plot-wise (albeit a bit disgusting, in Bones fashion), but I'm wondering if positioning it before House is such a great idea. I'm a House fan, too, and for me the House premiere was 10x better, which definitely overshadowed my impressions of Bones.

But back to the episode ... Jack definitely has a new look, and it does work for TJ, I'm just not 100% sold on it for Jack. We're used to seeing the bug/slime guy who loves and values his job, Angela, and his conspiracies. It was nice to see the return of Conspiracy Theorist Jack spouting theories about the Illuminati. I will definitely have to rewatch those scenes this weekend, as I was called away from my TV for most of the second one!

The fact that the wedding of last season's finale was pretty much ignored did irk me. Yes, Booth arrested Brennan's father, and yes, Brennan was maybe just starting to love her father again. There are definitely feelings there, but at the same time - what about the wedding? What about the feelings that Jack and Angela are experiencing from this fallout?

Like I've already said, the House premiere is sort of stuck in my brain right now, so I'll have to rewatch Bones this weekend and see if I can pick anything else up.
word count: 250
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I haven't found a place to view this yet (if anyone knows of anywhere that isn't US-restricted and free of charge, do pass it on!), but I am getting mixed messages from here and elsewhere about S3's premiere. Frankly it sounds anticlimactic. I have been able to see screencaps obviously (thanks Bonesfansonline!) and am agreeing about the visual impact. Angela more soberly dressed looks off-kilter somehow (why do women protagonists portrayed in love seem to lose their lively feistiness and style and become, well, wet?): Zach with the shorn head seems astonishingly old, and you're right, Kimber and Rebecca - the look is positively sexy for TJ but somehow is not quite the Jack we know and love. Though I expect it will grow on us, especially if they are going to give us back our conspiracy theorist, and Hodgela still works beautifully - indeed, Rebecca, that kiss looks as relaxed and joyous as it could be.

I don't like what you are all saying about the end of last season and its J/A ramifications being more or less ignored. This is an important arc and I want it to be treated with respect. I await further developments!

Btw nothing back from Ben yet, bear with me.
word count: 213

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

I rewatched last night and am feeling a little more comfortable with our favorite couple's new look. Angela's dress isn't quite as grim as I made it out to be--perhaps it's just that she's wearing dark colors in this episode. What I want to know though is what's with the fingers-through-the-holes-in-the-sleeves fashion statement that TJ is making??? I also say, lose the beads. I suppose it's personal preference, but I find that jewelry on men makes them seem slightly effeminate.

However, the kiss during the adventure conversation is still swoon-worthy...

BTW, Steph, do our video tapes or homemade burned DVDs work on your video and DVD players?
word count: 122

Y Ddraig Coch
Fan

Post by Y Ddraig Coch »

Hi girls managed to find you again.Hmm Steph you are doing really well to have seen the ep.already!!! Sky as I have posted several times have announced November as start date for series 3.But so far no trailers.

Sounds as if my worries have been confirmed-why on earth would they ignore the wedding finale scene?Are we supposed to just ignore the thread.And from others' comments there seems to be a sense of J and A being apart from the main thrust of the storyline.Maybe things will settle a little,but I am no fan of the dark gloomy lighting.Just makes me irritated when it looks as if it was shot in a cave. :(
word count: 121

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Y Ddraig Coch wrote:Hi girls managed to find you again. Hmm Steph you are doing really well to have seen the ep.already!!! Sky as I have posted several times have announced November as start date for series 3.But so far no trailers.
Hmm I thought I'd made it pretty clear I hadn't seen it, Victoria! Just the screencaps. I know what it looks like but movement and dialogue are as a closed book at the mo! I wonder whether I'll have more luck when it starts in the UK? Which reminds me, where did you find the November date? cos I have heard late October to coincide with the release of the S2 DVD? I daresay I'm mistaken, don't always get the right end of the stick when I'm tired!

Rebecca. I think we discussed the DVD and vid zoning on TV.com. We are in zone 2 and you are in zone 1. Unless one has the luxury of an all-zone player the different formats cannot cross over. <sigh>
word count: 180

sapphiresilt
Fan

Post by sapphiresilt »

Steph: I sent you a PM as to how you can see the current episode.

And I received my Sky Guide for October yesterday, and "Bones" is not listed, so it looks like Victoria is right about a November airing. One cool thing about the Sky Guide is that for two of their own promotions (introduce a friend to Sky blah blah blah...), they featured Booth and Brennan. That's positive, I thought!
word count: 73

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Eileen! <<HUG>> You're a star! I've seen it! Thank you soooooo much..more later, but just wanted to say wonderful, love you babe!

OK, a later edit. I've said what I wanted to about the look of the thing, maybe the dark clothes and backgrounds reflect the dark subject matter (wasn't that Jason boy creepy?!). Though I did always like the gleaming bluish light of the lab, wonderful for setting off TJ's eyes. :D

It's feeling rather 'bitty' at present. I think perhaps it wasn't the best decision to start a continuing arc at the premiere of a season when we are looking for a kind of reaffirming of the relationships (because this show is built on the relating of a small group of people. Not just B/B). It leaves us feeling a tad dissatisfied at the lack of resolution. If I'd been doing it I would definitely have had a solved case first and started the arc at ep 2. Jack and Angela came over as peripheral, to be brutally honest: the constant harping on Brennan's unwillingness to go back in the field again because of her feelings for Booth, while using Zach as a lame excuse, was heavy-handed and irritating. Especially Angela's uncharacteristic blurting it out in her face. Yes, she's upfront and honest, but that was just obvious plot development rather than character based and sounded false and tactless.

I felt really sorry for Clark. He was just used as a plot device and he did have potential. If they were going to leave anything unresolved, how about Zach not returning till the second episode, maybe have Brennan consider Clark properly instead of perfunctorily? After all, she is meant to be rational in her approach to work.

Hodgela. Well, as I said, just inserts that seemed removed from the main action, where normally they are In There contributing. Of course, I suppose if they actually take any leave to track down this god-like spouse, they will of necessity have to be 'occasional'; let's hope we're not going in that direction. It stretches the imagination to the point of suspension of disbelief doing an elastic-band snap that Mr Doyley was able to find out so much on such limited information. But have to say I like the clear trust and love that is still going on there, with Jack confident of Angela's fidelity despite, or maybe because of, her hilarious and candid detail. And she obviously feels she can be herself and relax with him even when discussing a previous sexual liaison. Good stuff from TJ and Michaela, as ever.

So a fair starter, and enough to keep me watching, but still a feeling of restlessness and slight discontent. I await 3.02 with interest.

PS I wonder if the Old Testament story of Elijah and the widow's son is relevant here?
word count: 492

Y Ddraig Coch
Fan

Post by Y Ddraig Coch »

I read the start date in Sky News for August-there was a question on the return and Nov.was given.Also some info.plus Nov.again as a trailer. As I said previously no trailers on TV yet.
word count: 39

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

My condolences Victoria that you have to wait so long to see the beginning of the new season! :cry:

I keep forgetting to mention the scene where Booth is interrogating the victim's female friend and Angela is behind the glass to interpret her reactions. Is this a new part of Angela's job? Brennan and Booth talked about it like Angela has done it a hundred times. And since when does Booth, who is supposedly so in tune with emotions and body language, need someone else to read a suspect? Sounds like the writers are trying to find new ways of bringing Angela out into the field even if it seems contrived.
word count: 112

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Just what I thought. You are a mind reader sweetie. I always reckoned Booth could cope perfectly well on his own!! They want to show her outside the lab? Well let's see Jack's house then! Is anyone listening out there? :x
word count: 42

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

ThyneAlone wrote:Just what I thought. You are a mind reader sweetie. I always reckoned Booth could cope perfectly well on his own!! They want to show her outside the lab? Well let's see Jack's house then! Is anyone listening out there? :x
An amen to that, Sistah! I am sooooo sick of watching the relationship at work. Talk at work, flirt at work, eat at the diner (near work), have sex at work... You'd think they're both homeless! Thank God they didn't have their first date at work--but if the writers could have figured out a way, I'm sure it would have happened!
word count: 110

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

I had almost forgotten about that scene with Angela helping Booth out. And you're right, it did seem like Angela had done that numerous times to help out. Strange that it's the first we heard/saw of it!

And a big YES to seeing one of their homes (particularly Jack's mansion!). Don't these people have homes? I mean, we've seen Booth's and Brennan's .. how about the others? What about Cam? Where does she live? Does she even exist outside of the lab (other than in Booth's bed, of course)?

Bringing it back to our couple ... I think there are numerous things they could show us at either the mansion, or at Angela's apartment/house (do we know which?). If you know what I mean ... :wink:
word count: 133
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

late_heart
Fan

Bones 3.01 - The Widow's Son in the Windshield (Rewatch)

Post by late_heart »

Note: This thread will contain spoilers for all of Season 3 (3.01 -3.14).

|
|
|
|
|
V

We might want to call this rewatch thread a 'saudade' thread.

(Saudade is a Portuguese term for yearning, or a deep longing for something just out of reach.) And I thought it might be interesting to begin a discussion about a second viewing of Season 3 now that we've seen Pain in the Heart.

Personally, I expected to be wound up in all of the plot holes and red herrings in this episode, but I was pleasantly surprised -- and found myself watching with the same enthusiasm as I did the first time.

This episode was a great set-up for an intriguing and ambitious story arc. Each character had something complex and interesting to work out on his or her own. My picks are Brennan's struggle with the impossibility of replacing the irreplaceable -- she can't replace Zack because he can't be replaced, and she's lost too much already; Booth's desire to please the women in his life -- he charms and wheedles and brokers Brennan's trust because there's a level of atoning for past sins that extends to the women in his life; Hodgins' need to be heard, seen, and understood; Angela's need to be right about love; Zack's need for stability; and, Cam's need to ...um... be a great cat herder. So maybe the overall theme is 'acceptance.'

Plus, it's a neat mystery.

When I first saw the episode, I felt the scene where Angela explains to Brennan that she's running from an 'iconic image' was ridiculous, but on second viewing I thought it was great -- because Angela was so painfully wrong but so completely self-assured. It's a recurring theme for her, and very well done -- especially the call back to it when she's assisting Booth. She's right on the money until she veers off into the weeds. It's a great commonality for Jack & Angela to share, too. Subtle. Hilarious.

Don't mind me if I zip forward here... I don't have the patience for deep meta and I'd rather leave it to you all. But I do want to get to the scene where Zack comes home. Booth's reaction was just spot on. He knows there's a deeper reason for Zack's return, and he knows what it is. And if there's anything on second viewing of this ep that I am bothered by, it's when Booth confesses to Brennan that he was right by not intervening when Zack went to Iraq; even though it was not the right decision for Zack to make, it was his right to make it, and Booth (or anyone else) had no right to rob him of that autonomy. Agreed. Why, then, was there no follow through with Booth and Zack? Zack admires and looks up to Booth, he seeks his acceptance as much as he does Brennan's -- and yet there's no interaction beyond Booth's accusatory greeting when he arrives. Booth should know that Zack would be humiliated to face him under the circumstances...and yet, nothing? The compassion that endeared him to Brennan had it's use.

I'm not sure if I buy that, or worse, that I do. You guys know me -- always happier looking on the dark side. :D

All in all, this was a great episode. I was surprised and enthralled. But the saudade lingers as I wonder why it all fell apart.
word count: 597
...he remains Hodgins of the unstoppable libido, with the constantly coiling Kundalini, the freaky twist of mystic master meets geekzilla. He’s still a poet, a shaman of the weird, and he’s in there, somewhere...

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Bones 3.01 - The Widow's Son in the Windshield (Rewatch)

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Fascinating comments! And that saudade is a great word, Late_heart! I'm surely feeling it. :D

I especially connect with what you're saying about Zack's return from Iraq. I remember being so excited by that scene, because I thought, finally Eric will get a chance to shine, like Michaela got to do with Skull in the Desert and TJ got to do with Aliens in a Spaceship (among many other episodes, of course... he always shines). I thought that scene opened the door for so many possibilities of character connection and development. Especially, I hoped, between Booth and Zack, two people who have always had an unusual relationship. I thought this might bring an opportunity for them to connect on a deeper, more interesting level.

Perhaps I expected too much; perhaps I thought about or saw things differently than Hart and the writers did. But I truly thought we'd get to see something powerful developed for Zack this season. (Yes, I acknowledge that making Zack the apprentice is a powerful choice, but I mean that I hoped to get to see some good character development for him throughout the entire season -- I felt like he came home, and then they never really used his character for much, until they 'needed to' for the final episodes of the season, for that one plot point). I became increasingly disappointed as the season went on, because as other avenues were played with rather than truly explored, I just saw so many missed opportunities for all the characters.

Nevertheless, your comments have intrigued me. You make me want to revisit the whole third season and see what stirs up in a second viewing. Now, I just have to dig out the video tapes on which I recorded the episodes. I know they're in one of the boxes I packed to bring with me to my grandmother's... somewhere in her basement... go on without me, this may take a bit of time... ;)
word count: 332

late_heart
Fan

Post by late_heart »

Sinkwriter72 wrote: I truly thought we'd get to see something powerful developed for Zack this season. (Yes, I acknowledge that making Zack the apprentice is a powerful choice, but I mean that I hoped to get to see some good character development for him throughout the entire season -- I felt like he came home, and then they never really used his character for much, until they 'needed to' for the final episodes of the season, for that one plot point). I became increasingly disappointed as the season went on, because as other avenues were played with rather than truly explored, I just saw so many missed opportunities for all the characters.
And we are together on that page, absolutely. But given that I knew I was going to be let down by the season (speaking strictly for me), I expected to feel it with WSIW, and was actually a little gobsmacked that I didn't. I was intrigued by Booth's callous appraisal of Zack, keeping the alpha dog/loyal puppy dynamic firmly in place when the moment called for something more. Knowing that it wouldn't go anywhere didn't stop me from being really interested in it. (I'll save that sense of betrayal for later episodes.)

I'm also jazzed that I really caught on to Angela's "I'm gonna be right about love this time" ferocity with Hodgins. I might be overthinking, but it made sense to me. On first view, I was really frustrated with the Jack/Angela arc because it seemed frivolous and batty -- it'll be neat to see how it strikes me the second time around.

Or maybe i'm just suffering from a wicked case of saudade, and hoping I'll find something to be happy about when all is said and done. Keep digging through those boxes, baby!
word count: 310
...he remains Hodgins of the unstoppable libido, with the constantly coiling Kundalini, the freaky twist of mystic master meets geekzilla. He’s still a poet, a shaman of the weird, and he’s in there, somewhere...

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

late_heart wrote:I was intrigued by Booth's callous appraisal of Zack, keeping the alpha dog/loyal puppy dynamic firmly in place when the moment called for something more. Knowing that it wouldn't go anywhere didn't stop me from being really interested in it. (I'll save that sense of betrayal for later episodes.)
Oh, definitely agreed. I actually didn't need anything more in that moment, in that episode. I liked Booth's distance; it seemed a perfect contrast to everyone else's excitement and joy in seeing Zack. It wasn't that Booth wasn't glad to see him (or that he wasn't relieved that he was safe) -- he just knew there was probably more to it, why Zack was back already. I liked his slight suspicion, his FBI-analyst response (heh... from what I recall, he was almost squinting at Zack, wondering what happened). I liked that a lot.

In fact, it was that moment with Booth that made me think about all the possibilities: why did Zack come back, would Booth have a hard, heart-to-heart conversation with him at a later date (in a later episode), how might this affect their relationship, would it give them a stronger connection, would Booth stop pushing him away in annoyance so easily now that they have a bit of the same knowledge (for example, what war really looks like)?

I saw great possibilities in this for Zack's character (for his emotional development) and for the development of his 'friendship' with Booth's character. From enjoying so many fantastic character moments in the first two seasons, I never would have expected the writers not to explore these questions eventually. I was honestly and genuinely surprised (and disappointed) when they didn't.

late_heart wrote:I'm also jazzed that I really caught on to Angela's "I'm gonna be right about love this time" ferocity with Hodgins. I might be overthinking, but it made sense to me. On first view, I was really frustrated with the Jack/Angela arc because it seemed frivolous and batty -- it'll be neat to see how it strikes me the second time around.
I can't remember that fully; it's been so long since I've watched the season 3 premiere episode. Hold that thought -- I'll have to rewatch and get back to you. ;)
late_heart wrote:Or maybe i'm just suffering from a wicked case of saudade, and hoping I'll find something to be happy about when all is said and done. Keep digging through those boxes, baby!
I found 'em! :D

In fact, I went down to the basement and moved around a whole mess of the boxes, so I could find and remember what was where, in case I need something and have to go poking around again. I brought up my Bones DVDs, Firefly (coming off reading some of the scripts, I'm in the mood for a little Mal, Wash and the rest of the crew *GRIN*), and the tapes on which I recorded season 3 Bones episodes. So I'm all set. Let's all revisit this season together, shall we? :mrgreen:
word count: 534

English Al
Fan

Post by English Al »

I actually found this to be a weak opeing episode to a series. Apart from TJ's hair and beard cut there was little in the way of storyline...well apart from Gormagone (not sure on spelling) and the PI trying to track down the "husband" for Angela.
word count: 48

Ellen
Super Fan

Post by Ellen »

I still haven't seen the 3rd season, but trust me, as soon as sky show re-runs, or the DVD comes out (Whatever happens first), I'll be locking the doors and unplugging the phones until i've seen it all, baby! lol. :D
word count: 44
"What if it doesn't end like that? What if it doesn't go wrong?"-Dr Jack Hodgins

Kelly
Fan

Re: Bones 3.01 The Widow's Son In The Windshield

Post by Kelly »

It's been nearly a year since this thread has had any action, so I'm starting some. Sharon said that it is okay to disagree and that she would like me to post my thoughts anyway. So, here I go. I saw this episode on Bones Weekends. As all of you already know, I've just finished watching season 1 on Netflix. Due to circumstances out of my control I haven’t been able to start season 2. Taking a report writing break tonight, I turned on the television set and this episode was on.

I agree with the first few posts in this thread of feeling I was watching a new season. I thought I was under good fortune by seeing season two episode one, but I looked it up online during commercial to find out that it is season three episode one. Jack’s changed look was great. I do agree that the beard was a bit much. I like facial hair, but only to a point. Nicely frame the mouth and I’m fine. Hide it and I’m not. I like how he stood up to the lawyer saying that if she didn’t want his answers, to not ask. It’s as if he is upset with how disrespectful the others are of his knowledge. Booth requesting his expertise and sincerely being grateful was really nice.

Zack’s entrance was awesome. I feel bad about Craig, though, but he knew from the beginning that he wasn’t staying. I guess I’m too military-minded to be surprised with Zack’s look and behavior. The writers nailed it. Booth’s answer to Brennan about why she was so upset was great, but I would have added to the answer, “Because he’s a man. He makes his own choices. He made his choice; to serve his country.” Brennan’s misconception that war is a man’s right of passage is not right and I’m glad that Booth interrupted her. Society has made war and other activities a man’s right of passage, but they aren’t. Serving one’s country however they see fit isn’t gender-biased and I’m tired of the media condoning it. Brennan’s statement is proof of that. I know that the character is more book smart than street smart, but it just upsets me that the writers would make her feel that way. I digress.

I didn’t see anything different or wrong with Angela’s look. I even saw how the two storylines worked. On Jack and Angela’s off-time, they were focusing on the marriage issue. They do have lives outside the lab and I’d like to see more characters’ lives outside the lab. The kiss, well, that nearly spiraled me into one of my romantic daydreams. I’m a hopeless romantic and it doesn’t take long before I go into Romance Land.

The writers didn’t ignore the wedding plotline, or, is there another one in season 2 that you all are talking about? The one at the end of season 1 is addressed. Angela talks about it with Brennan when she’s pulling her “tough love” act again. The private investigation scenes clearly were a continuation of the wedding situation.

Well, I better get back to my internship report.
word count: 560