The Jack And Angela Relationship

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
Ellen
Super Fan

Hodgins and Angela

Post by Ellen »

I've been watching most of season 4, but I've missed all of season 3, and so I'm sort of out of the loop on the whole, Hogins and Angela relationship.

Can someone please tell me what's going on with them? Why they're not together anymore?

I'd really appreciate it.
x
word count: 56
"What if it doesn't end like that? What if it doesn't go wrong?"-Dr Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Hodgins and Angela

Post by ThyneAlone »

This is a bit confusing even to frequent flyers. S3 did not actually add anything to the J/A relationship. This was partly because the writers' strike stopped arcs from moving on and partly because of some unusually poor writing imho.

They basically spent the whole series canoodling to the point of nausea(I think they even mentioned kids at one juncture) and trying to locate Angela's missing husband. I say nausea because even Michaela and TJ can't do an awful lot with oh-isn't-s/he-cute-and-adorable scenes. The ludicrous search for the elusive Perfect Husband stopped the relationship from making any appreciable progress and it just stagnated in the unreality of the whole situation. They didn't have the camaraderie and understanding of the previous 2 seasons, neither did they help and support one another hugely on cases apart from smugly saying how good the other one was at the job!

The arc was meant to have finished, I believe, during S3, but instead became a strap-on to the beginning of S4. And very hurriedly. Grayson turns up swearing eternal love for Ange and refusing to sign divorce papers; Hodgins feels a little threatened, but not excessively, and there is an altercation during which Jack is picked up and bodily chucked into a bin lorry; then Grayson sees J & A together in the street in mid-smooch and extremely happy and suddenly decides not to stand in the way of his wife's happiness (??what's with that, after weeks of insistence??); signs the papers; Cam drives him off to the airport, but the plane is delayed and (wait for it) they end up in bed together. Hmm. Not that heartbroken, then.

Cam feels guilty and insists on spilling the beans to Ange (why? It's none of her business any more); Angela is, understandably after such a long time evading the guy's pursuit, slightly piqued at the speed of the turnabout; Hodgins is worried that she even reacts to it; Angela says it's clear that neither can trust the other (there was a somewhat convoluted 'if you are going to suspect me of having feelings for others then you aren't trustworthy either') and that they should not be together if that is the case. End of long and intense relationship. Just like that. Somehow or other the actors managed to lend credence and poignancy to this ridiculous storyline, but really....

So you haven't missed much more than a badly constructed arc contrived to separate the pair. Ho-hum.
word count: 431
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Ellen
Super Fan

Post by Ellen »

Thanks very much. :D
my friend tried to tell me about it, but it didn't make much sense at the time.
I'm up to date now. :D

x
word count: 28
"What if it doesn't end like that? What if it doesn't go wrong?"-Dr Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

For what it's worth!
word count: 5

blue_eyes
Fan

Post by blue_eyes »

i would love to see angela and jack back together. i would love to see them get married before season 4 ends.
word count: 22
"COCENTRATE ON WHAT CANNOT LIE. THE EVIDENCE" GIL GRISSOM

sapphiresilt
Fan

Post by sapphiresilt »

It's funny ... I used to want Jack and Angela to get married and live happily ever (one of my forum names is jackandangela, which I created back in S1), but now I really don't. I haven't been watching S4, but I have been reading spoilers and reviews, so I think I know how the shows are being handled.

One of the biggest problems I always had with the relationship is that Angela never seemed as "into" Jack as he was "into" her. Now, I don't know if that was the fault of the writers or MC's portrayal, but I never got the sense that she would do *anything* to be with him. We saw glimpses of her interest, but I never really saw passion (beyond the sexual passion, that is). I wrote about this topic on other forums during S2, but I was really disappointed in how hard Jack had to work in order to get her to go on a date and then agree to get married. And then when they were a couple, Angela saw it as "sex and laughing" (don't get me back started on *that* one!). Seriously, one person shouldn't have to work that hard in a relationship.

I absolutely adore Jack ... he's the reason I watched the show (back when it had heart and soul, imo). And I want Jack to have a passionate relationship (in all ways). I want him to find someone who's completely into him, someone who thinks he's the most incredible, special guy in the world. And I don't think that's Angela ... and I doubt she will ever get to that point. Jack deserves the best!
word count: 287

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Hi Eileen,

Good to hear from you again!

You've completely expressed what I'm feeling about the Jack and Angela relationship these days. That last episode was the topper for me. Six weeks out from their breakup and Angela is already cheerfully looking for her next lay. The whole "free spirit" business was fine in season one and two, because we were seeing character growth in a woman who had finally reached the point in her life where she was beginning to realize that real love in a long term committed relationship was more fulfilling than a life long chain of casual love affairs. Now, all that character growth has been undone as we see that Angela has not changed at all--and the worst part about this is the writers seem to think that this makes Angela a cool and hip character.

And I thought I couldn't get more disgusted with the Jack and Angela storyline...
word count: 159
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Katesimon
Fan

The Jack and Angela dynamic

Post by Katesimon »

The writers splitting Jack and Angela has been met with a lot of resistance from the fans but I can see where they were coming from.
With my apologies to 'Sweets', this is my analysis of the situation.

Jack, for all his money and power, is still a pocket-protected geek at heart. He could not let himself believe that the hot girl really liked him.

Angela has lived the life of a bohemian artist since she was a kid. This is all she's ever known. The idea of committing to Jack scared the daylights out of her. His insecurities gave her the out she was looking for.

The longing looks are back. These two love each other. Even while trying to commit to Roxie you can see Angela's conflict.

My hope is the writers will allow these two characters to be brave and be together.
word count: 148

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: The Jack and Angela dynamic

Post by skftex »

Hi Katesimon! I just noticed this post. It's a little late here and I'm tired but I wanted to at least say Welcome to the board! I'm going to come back to what you wrote tomorrow (I hope) and comment.

Sharon
word count: 44
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Excellent analysis, Katesimon--I think you've hit it right on the mark. Let's hope the writers let these two characters get back together again, because this shipper is very unhappy with the current situation!
word count: 36

Katesimon
Fan

Post by Katesimon »

Thanks! I love watching and trying to find the openins the writers are giving for their reunion. Even while Angela was asking her to move in with her you could see her conflict. She's trying to hold on to the past instead of moving forward with Jack.
word count: 48

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

It's denial. She would not even discuss moving in with Hodgins - too big a step apparently - but here she is suggesting it to a woman with whom she has barely yet renewed a relationship, just in order to run away. No wonder Roxie said no. She clearly knows Angela very well.
word count: 52

Miss Rhi
Fan

Post by Miss Rhi »

I love their dance.

I mean this in terms of they dance around each other, without physically touching each other and the sparks fly.

They are meant to be together. Already there is the sexual tension dynamic with Booth and Brennan, it's a bit over the top if Jack and Angela do it too.

Mind you - I have not seen ANY season 3. So I am not sure what the go is.
word count: 73

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Ausiello TV - Hart Hanson re Jack/Angela

Post by Jude40 »

*********POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR FUTURE JACK/ANGELA*********

Hi All

Don't know if you've seen it but just taken a look at Hart Hanson video on Ausiello TV confirming Roxie's departure from the show. His exact words were that she was a 'bump in the road' and that Hodgins is Angela's man. So Jack and Angela back together soon then hopefully!

Jude x
word count: 65

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Ausiello TV - Hart Hanson re Jack/Angela

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ok I need a link for that!
word count: 7

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi Steph

I got it off fanpop so hopefully this link should work, let me know if you have any problems.
http://www.fanpop.com/external/3797875

Jude x
word count: 29

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Sounds too good to be true, but I'll take it!
word count: 11

Lauren :)
Fan

Post by Lauren :) »

Katesimon wrote:Jack, for all his money and power, is still a pocket-protected geek at heart. He could not let himself believe that the hot girl really liked him.

Angela has lived the life of a bohemian artist since she was a kid. This is all she's ever known. The idea of committing to Jack scared the daylights out of her. His insecurities gave her the out she was looking for.

The longing looks are back. These two love each other. Even while trying to commit to Roxie you can see Angela's conflict.
Very good analysis :)

I think that Angela's trying to prove that she can have a serious relationship (To Sweets in particular) because it seems so odd that After having that chat with Sweets in "Skull in the Sculpture" she immediatly dives into the deep end, going on holidays with her, asking her to move in etc where as she takes it relatively slow with Hodgins.

I dont know though :)
word count: 166

Lorenith
Fan

Re: Bones 4.17 The Salt in the Wounds

Post by Lorenith »

I just got off a six hour drive and spent some of it thinking of the Hodgins/Angela relationship, and the little blurb TJ left in the chatter box asking if any of us think maybe Jack should move on.

I think yes, and no.

The reason I say this, is I think he should date, but I don't think he should forget Angela. It was pretty implicit (to me anyway maybe I'm crazy) that they had something very special and different from what they had been doing for at least the past year.

What we've been shown in their interactions also doesn't strike me as dying embers, if they are it's been written poorly. The vibe I'm getting right now is one of great caring between both, even back when Angela was being snippy with him. Ange needs to grow up and be a little less selfish.

Now, if there were a few differences to what is being shown, I would say without a shadow of a doubt that Jack should forget Angela and move on as quickly as he can, but that isn't the case.

Sorry if I'm being redundant with what's already been posted, I tried not to be atleast!
word count: 212

Geishawannab
Fan

Re: Bones 4.17 The Salt in the Wounds

Post by Geishawannab »

Hi Lore, mc here.

I agree with you to some point about the whole Jack and Angela dynamic. Maybe this would be better suited to follow up on another thread in the forum, but for now...

Jack has to move on. From what I saw in the last ep, Angela doesn't want a serious relationship with anyone right now. Sweets' advice (to be celibate for 6 months) could prove to be just what she needs to discover what she wants out of a relationship, be it with Hodgins or someone else. And that's just the thing. It's an open-ended question mark there. She could wind up with anyone. I don't think Jack should just wait hoping she'll come around because that might never happen.

We've never seen Jack fall for anyone else like he has for Angela. She's his flame, his muse. But that kind of love is unrealistic too, just like Angela's "in the moment" ideal. It doesn't last. when Jack said that moment had passed, it was pretty clear to me that it was over, sadly.

It's a pity, because I really enjoyed their dynamic when they were together, but this has changed significantly. I think he took her earring as a momento, just like she put away their picture. As much as he loves her, he doesn't strike me as the type of character to pine over a lost love. But hey, I could be wrong.
word count: 251