Bones 4.21 Mayhem On The Cross

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Bones 4.21 Mayhem On The Cross

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well, being an expert from way back on the Vikings, their language and culture, hubby instantly recognised the blood eagle, didn't even have to tell him what it was!

Despite the irritating lack of TJ (he did make the most of what he got though), I thought this was a very well-constructed episode. Better balanced than some recent ones and with some very perceptive insights into how psychology works and what motivates us in our beliefs and aims.
The revelation of a supposed nihilism as a cover for vulnerability and creativity was particularly neat and it was good to see the killer unmasked by his own immature arrogance. It wasn't a simple deus ex machina that trapped him either; the forensic activity was relevant, it narrowed down the field, which has not been the case for a while. And it was necessary, as the body had been abused by so many people for different reasons after the murder. I was a little dissatisfied not to be able to feel for the victim yet again. This was a horrific killing, but at several removes, so it didn't feel immediate (and it didn't help that everyone questioned thought, or claimed to think, that the murder was a matter for celebration and street cred). I want to feel sympathy for a victim again. The Cinderella was hard to feel for because she was so awful as an individual. Perhaps next time, when we return to people that the team know, we will be able to relate more effectively.

On the other hand we had a serious and satisfying glimpse into Sweets' background and an amazing revelation from Brennan which showed that at a certain level she cares about him. He has seemed so superficial for so long that he hasn't gelled with the rest of the team, so I was glad of that. As for Booth admitting to such a weakness as having wanted to kill himself, that was fairly jaw-dropping even though we have worked towards it for a while. I'm not particularly a BB shipper, although obviously that's why many fans are delighted with this scene; but I am very pleased that the writers have stepped back a bit and stopped being quite as crass with the innuendo and the pushing together of Brennan and Booth. This felt subtler and more natural than we had during S3 and some of this season.

And yet other bits of the episode were laugh-out-loud funny, in contrast with the rather horrible and macabre stuff that was happening on stage. Stephen Fry as a glam rock star - and one called Naughty Comet! - that was wonderful (and incidentally what an absolute delight to have him back); Brennan telling Clark to get down on all fours - that guy has some great facial expressions - and the insistence on the correct pronunciation of 'skull' in Norwegian. Not to mention Sweets the baby duck. :animals-duckie: Hilarious. They must have fun shooting some of these scenes.

For once this season has given me significant character development, a glance at a different culture, a focused forensic investigation that helped with identifying the culprit, a good laugh and a satisfying overarching theme (of how our minds work to determine our present course from past experience) all at once. Yes - I liked that. Seriously missed Jack there, though; I hope they intend to use him more as we move towards the end of the season. It was, however, pleasing to see how relevant Angela's work has become of late. I was starting to think they were omitting her contribution. Go team! :)
word count: 608
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Lorenith
Fan

Re: Bones 4.21 Mayhem On The Cross

Post by Lorenith »

Wow I don't have much to say right now I just finished watching it and wow that was a heavy one.

Also I'm glad I waited till my headache was mostly gone...
word count: 34

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi All

I'm with Lore on this one, very heavy indeed. For that reason I'm not sure saying I enjoyed the episode would be the right use of words, but I did think it was really, really good and Stephen Fry was an added bonus.

The story was very dark but the fact that Sweets, Bones and Booth survived their traumas to become good and valuable individuals contrasted well against the very sad outcome for the smling little boy in the photo who ended up garotted and crucified. Seeing that photo, knowing the boys fate really affected me I have to admit.

I was also really affected by the scene with Sweets, Brennan and Booth, John Francis Daley, Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz were all excellent in that scene. I must admit I've always felt that when Emily shows emotion as Brennan she is really affecting but its actually David that made the most impact on me. One line and the expression on his face literally made my stomach churn.

Anyway, all things considered a really good episode giving a lot more insight into some of the characters and the acting was fab.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 201

ForensicMama
Fan

Post by ForensicMama »

This was definitely a great episode. I loved it. I loved how they gave more of a background to all characters. i.e. We didn't know before this point that Brennan's foster parents abused her, we didn't know about Booth's suicide attempts or Sweets' childhood. I loved Wyatt (as always) and the whole episode was, like you said, well structured. It was fabulous.

~Mama
word count: 68
Blogger, Temptress, & Miss America All In One Compact Little Package
http://bonesspoilers.blogspot.com

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Yaaay, Stephen Fry! And how funny was his back story? Lead singer in an 80's glam band? :lol:

I will apologize now to all of the Sweets fans on this forum. Sadly, I'm still in the I-Hate-Sweets club. I resent the fact that we get to hear all about his tragic childhood, and still have no idea about Hodgins' childhood or parents, except that they were stinking rich and owned the Jeffersonian. Sweets has definitely taken on third billing on this show, now that he has this tender bond with Brennan. :roll:

Oh, and what's with all the crazy broadcast dates these past two weeks? Bones was on last Wednesday, Thursday, Monday, and then Thursday again. I wonder how many viewers missed these extra episodes?
word count: 128
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Let me give you guys a silver lining for Hodgins.

He might not be getting the development or screen time that you want, but he has been having more chances to interact more directly with Brennan (more so than just "I found this on this and it means this" with some wit thrown in!)

One of the keys to getting better development in Bones is often seems to be how much the character interacts with Brennan or Booth. Hodgins arguably has the least interaction with either of them, of the entire cast where as Sweets as their therapist works with them all the time, even if they mostly just brow beat him! Angela often has heart to hearts with Brennan, and even Cam has more ways of development through Booth (her sister, their relationship, her father, and then the most recent one with Dr. Welton).

The fact that he's getting some little scenes with Brennan that he normally wouldn't get means that some day he might get some development outside of his relationship with Angela.

Maybe I'm being wistful here but still! lol
word count: 186

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

*glass-half-full face :D*
That is an excellent point *hand waving, choose me for your team please!*
It is true that because the squints are seen chiefly in their reactions with Booth and Brennan we didn't see huge amounts of them at the season's start, because BB were in a bit of a glass bubble reacting to one another. But more positive storylines are definitely emerging. I would personally like to see Hodgins with Booth more, that was a good, sparky relationship much explored in various fanfic and showing some real progression during S2. They were opposites in many ways, what with the money and the conspiracy theories et al, but that was what made it so interesting. More please.
word count: 122

ForensicMama
Fan

Post by ForensicMama »

Well, there was an interview... and I hope this isn't considered a spoiler... from HH and someone asked if there would be more love in the lab. He replied that there might be lust in the lab. Perhaps they are working the angle of a Hodgins crush on Brennan. I had suspected a Sweets crush on Angela... yay me... and now that he's afraid of her father lol, I began to wonder about Cam and Hodgins getting together... which I think would be awesome. But Brennan is off limits lol... although I think it would be cute if they went on a date... one that would epically fail haha because they make better friends than lovers and they both are in love with other people (Angela & Booth).

~Mama
word count: 130

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

That is definitely weird...and awkward sounding.

Awesome.

(I can already hear the shippers storming the studio waving torches and pitchforks!)
word count: 21

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

ForensicMama wrote:Well, there was an interview... and I hope this isn't considered a spoiler... from HH and someone asked if there would be more love in the lab. He replied that there might be lust in the lab. Perhaps they are working the angle of a Hodgins crush on Brennan. I had suspected a Sweets crush on Angela... yay me... and now that he's afraid of her father lol, I began to wonder about Cam and Hodgins getting together... which I think would be awesome. But Brennan is off limits lol... although I think it would be cute if they went on a date... one that would epically fail haha because they make better friends than lovers and they both are in love with other people (Angela & Booth).
Don't worry about spoiling, most people who don't want spoilage avoid the reviews here if they haven't viewed the episodes yet. Mm, intriguing! Cam and Hodgins have an interesting vibe, with her pretty tolerant of him kicking against her rules, and Hodgins looks up to Brennan hugely, as we have seen most recently with him telling her he has learned from her to look at things from all angles (was that Science In The Physicist?). He might be a bit too in awe of her to actually date her - I don't know. But it would be fun! And if he dated Cam we would have the issue of a semi-paternal relationship with Michelle as well. I would actually like to see what a bond like this would do to the lab dynamic!
word count: 268

Nelbel
Fan

Post by Nelbel »

I loved this episode! The end was pretty intense though, I wonder what hodgins wold have looked like dressed how Sweets was , with the make-up too. :?: :D
word count: 27