Bones 4.26 The End in the Beginning

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
Link
Fan

Re: Bones 4.26 The End in the Beginning

Post by Link »

Well, just saw last episode... And i have to say : i'm very disappointed ! You all said everything there is to say... Really weird ep that they could have done in middle season maybe, but finale ? Really ? :roll:

About Jude's theory ("what if it was 'The End in the Beginning' as in that's how Bones and Booth end up"), i don't believe that's possible because in the sex scene you can see that Brennan wears a wedding ring (since they are married in the dream if i'm not wrong) and i don't think they would end up married in reality just like that ^^

Anyway i'll try to catch up with all of your comments to see if i can add anything ! (i've been away for a while since i was in India for 3 weeks so i missed a lot)
word count: 147

Ellen
Super Fan

Post by Ellen »

I have just come up with a thought: The entire episode was obviously Booth's dream, perhaps they could have made that a little more clear at first, for example, every so often maybe there could have been some hint that Booth was in surgery. For example, something could happen every so often, like maybe things become blurry, or voices muffled, or Booth just gets very confused in the dream. I'm not entirely sure how this would have added to the episode, it was just an idea I had that I thought I would share. :D
word count: 96
"What if it doesn't end like that? What if it doesn't go wrong?"-Dr Jack Hodgins

Katesimon
Fan

Post by Katesimon »

I'm so glad it WASN'T just me. The really was the worst episode ever.

The only high point for me was TJ's narration. As a big fan of audio books I suggested to TJ in a Myspace message I thought his voice was perfect for narration. I was right. I really love being right.

The culprit in this debacle is Mr. H. The actors can only work with what they were given and this was pure dreck. After the worst season he gives us the worst finale. He angers us with writing out Zack. Bad season finale. He really ticks us off breaking up Angela and Jack, bad start to season. Then he gives us the a season of the worst episodes with the only exception being the ep with Booth trapped by the Gravedigger. It wasn't stellar, but the Booth/Parker scenes were Bones at it best. Booth's faith gets him through tough times. Then Mr. H. reduces Booth's heavenly assistance to the affects of a brain tumor.
That insults everything Booth believes in.

And lets talk about that - a brain tumor, amnesia, and entire dream episode! That isn't the Bones we've come to love. That's a REALLY bad soap opera.

Okay, bottom line. The economy. Seriously. How long does Mr. H. think he can keep doing this before he destroys the fan base. No fan base, no ratings. No ratings, no job. I'm just saying....
word count: 247

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

See this thread is proof that the episode failed. Because despite HH's insistence that it wasn't Brennan writing the book and it wasn't Booth dreaming, people still see it as exactly one or the other. He keeps saying it was "a meeting of two minds". I don't buy it. And apparently many many other people don't buy it. I do think that Jude's theory that the first part WAS real is very possibly true-but as she said, it was true for sometime in the future, not that they got married that just like that. That in the end, that is how Booth and Brennan are going to end up. And since HH believes this episode was for the "loyal fanbase" he probably thinks that'll appease them, I have news for him, while I didn't start watching the show from the first episode, I still consider myself a loyal fan, I watch it every week, I watch it more than once usually, and I did watch ALL the episodes I missed once I decided I wanted to watch this show. But that episode in no way was meant for me-there was absolutely nothing for me there other than Zack showing up-I love seeing Zack. :) I'm loyal because I'll be watching in season 5, and 6 and however many it lasts...yes, mainly because of TJ but still..I'll watch.
word count: 242
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

Wow. I just can't get over how many people seem to hate each & every episode. I'm not saying all of you hate them all, but it seems like every single episode there are people complaining that it's out of character, too unbelievable, jumped the shark, etc. It's so depressing to see so much negativity on all the boards toward my fav show. :( Oh well.

I just wanted to add a couple things about the finale to help enlighten or confuse some ppl more:

Was it Booth's dream? A story that Brennan was writing? For those that don't follow HH's Twitters, he has said that the finale was neither Brennan's book, NOR Booth's dream, but was an "alternate universe that they created together."

Was the first scene the future? The clock in the first scene tells time differently than the one in the second. The first displays time normally, the second in military time. When asked about apparent differences in the clocks between the first scene & the second, he commented that "Everything was done on purpose ... everything was done for a reason ... everything means something ..." So, we know there's a distinction for a reason, but what reason? If the first scene is the future, what does that engagement/wedding ring on Emily in the first scene mean for the future of our characters?

Regarding the question of science :techie-typing: vs. the spiritual :angelic-green: /supernatural :scared-ghostface: :

I personally don't believe that the tumor negates the possibility of divine assistance. Perhaps all the tumor did was stimulate a portion of his brain that made him more succeptible to receiving visions. Thus, his illness could have been a way of making him more open to receiving the wisdom offered by the spirits/higher powers/his own subconscious/etc. Or perhaps some higher power merely utilized the effects of his illness as an opportunity to speak to him. One could also interpret the scene at the end of "Hero in the Hold," where Bones appears to interact with the spirit, as evidence that perhaps there is more than just an illness involved.

In "The Headless Witch in the Woods," just as in "Hero in the Hold," we are left with two possibilities and can decide for ourselves whether there is an actual spirit, or a more scientific explanation. In "Skull in the Desert," how does Angela determine the direction that her friend walked? Was it as Bones said, that Angela subconsciously picked up subtle clues, or was there a more spiritual explanation? I personally enjoy the fact that the writer's seem to leave the questions of science vs religion & the supernatural open, allowing us to interpret things in whichever way we choose.

Sorry if this got a little off-topic, I just wanted to reply to some of the things that were said here. While not the most enjoyable episode for me, I still think the finale was genius in its own way.
word count: 499
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Update/Correction concerning my previous post. This is just in. Apparently HH spoke in TV Guide about the finale, and about next season. Here's some of what he said about the finale:

HH - "It wasn't an out and out lie. It was a strange combination of two people's experiences - a book Brennan wrote and then deleted and a dream in Booth's head."

HH - In response to Booth saying, "Who are you?" HH said, "Shame on me that almost everybody thought he out and out just had no idea who she was. I'm unhappy that didn't come across. Oh, if I could redo it."

OK, the second one I can see. Some people had already postulated that Booth was more confused about which Brennan she was, as opposed to actually being amnesic. But the first statement is a direct contradiction of what he sent out in his Twitter when he said " It wasn't a dream, it wasn't a book, it was something else. The meeting of two minds?" Now he's saying it's BOTH the things that he said it wasn't. I'm a little bit AARGGG at you right now, HH!

BTW, the article also refers to the sex scene as a "hallucination." So, maybe not future sex after all. :/
word count: 220
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hiya Jade, sometimes we are a bit critical of the episodes here, but then its because we know they can be better. Season 1 & 2 were proof of that. They don't have to be just like that, but starting with Season 3 a definite shift happened. But then I started watching Bones in Season 3 so there was definitely something there for me or I wouldn't have watched all the episodes I missed (all of Season 1 & 2 and part of 3) in a week. I do like the show, I STILL like the show, I just wish that some of the old hadn't been completely wiped away to focus on Booth/Brennan so much and to abandon the team and the lab and idea of the team as a family as much as they did.

Yes, I absolutely HATED the finale, but I liked more than one episode in season 4. I just watched The He in the She again last night because it was on, and I thought looking at the whole of Season 4, it was one of the better ones. I also liked Fire in the Ice, The Doctor in the Den, The Girl in the Mask, and thought for the most part The Critic in the Cabernet was great. I'm sure there are others,

I do also believe the natural thing for this site is that we are all going to be a bit harder on the characters/people we aren't quite as invested in. Here, we ALL are invested in Hodgins and TJ. Its natural that we pretty much like everything he does...we are here because of him. So the others bear the brunt of the criticism because we see that with a more critical eye. Though we do criticize the choices that the writers make for ALL the characters-especially Hodgins. I just want you to know, Bones is still my favorite show on TV, and I imagine most of the others feel the same way. We just want it to be the best it can be and don't feel it has been quite up to that this season. But I'll be there watching it in season 5 too! :)

Now for the other things...see, HH saying different things just makes me believe he has NO idea what he wrote and now he's trying to explain it away because people didn't understand it. If people didn't get what he was trying to do, okay, chalk it up to an effort that failed but don't change your story about what it was suppose to be! Sheesh.
word count: 444
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

I'm not sure that there are any episodes that I've hated, although I have a hard time watching the Epps eps. :) I hated that character so much! I actually only got addicted this year, then had to go and get caught up online. Obviously this season has done something right for me, because it managed to pull me in. There are certain characteristics from earlier seasons that I liked and wouldn't mind seeing a renewal of, but I'm still loving the episodes as they are.

As for what HH is up to.... I'm just not sure yet. For all we know he's just flat out lying so he can catch us off guard with whatever he throws our way. :P Who knows? Anyway, I'm still looking forward to next season. So long still to wait.... <sigh>
word count: 142

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Oooooo the Epps episodes are some of my favorites! Though yes, I hated the character, I thought the shows were really good!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
word count: 22

Ellen
Super Fan

Post by Ellen »

HH - In response to Booth saying, "Who are you?" HH said, "Shame on me that almost everybody thought he out and out just had no idea who she was. I'm unhappy that didn't come across. Oh, if I could redo it."
. :/[/color][/quote]

I think I'm starting to understand! I knew there was some kind of great message hidden in this episode! It's just a shame that it didn't come across, because, I feel that if it had, this finale would possibly have been one of their best (Providing, also, that they brought Zack back properly)

I also think I understand the whole thing about "Not Booth's dream...not Brennan's book." It was an off the wall episode that was a mix between Booth's dream and Brennan's book, an alternate reality. It's still a little mixed up, but I think I'm getting it more now, and like I predicted, I love the idea!

"Who are you?" not meaning "I don't remember you." but instead meaning "Who are you inside? In relation to me, who are you?" If that makes any sense. I think that's great, and I'm so disappointed now, that this message was too well concealed to be found, because it really is great!

Perhaps, in order to get this message across more efficiently, perhaps Hodgins shouldn't have narrated. I'm not saying he wasn't good at it, because he was, his voice is perfect for narration, but I think that we would have had a clearer understanding of the theme of this episode if maybe the narration had alternated between Brennan and Booth.

Also, Perhaps we could have seen Bones as a very mysterious character, one minute she is talking to Booth like a close friend, and the next she is being secretive, acting as though she doesn't know or trust Booth as well as she does. I don't think it should have been that way with all characters, just Bones, because this way, we see who Bones is in her own head, and we also see that Booth is mixed up in his own head about who she is (again not as in not remembering her). I hope that makes sense.

Goodness...I seem to have rambled on for a while...oops. I actually think I might watch this episode again bearing HH's words in mind. Now that I know the message of the episode, maybe I'll understand it more when I watch it again. It's just too bad that the meaning actually had to be explained, and wasn't clear enough for us to find alone, but at least we know now I suppose.

It's still a little manipulative of Zack's character, but I guess it fits in with the message. I hope they realize that Zack was a much loved character, and that we miss him dearly, and perhaps they will make the characters visit him more...then again, that takes me to a new theory all together. I'll make a post.

Let me know what you thought of this post. (I'm so sorry for it's length! My longest ever I think!)

x
word count: 544
"What if it doesn't end like that? What if it doesn't go wrong?"-Dr Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hmm, if Hodgins hadn't narrated, we would have had an extremely TJ-lite episode there! But I do see your point, Ellen.

As far as being negative is concerned. Honestly? I don't think we are. I found a lot of things I liked in the finale, and said so in my initial post here; in the final analysis, I didn't hate it, but I didn't feel it did what it aimed to (as HH has now practically admitted) and so found it unsuccessful. Especially as there were fine opportunities to deal with other issues (and with the team feelings about Booth) that were being passed over.

Because we are dealing with such stellar actors here, eps tend to be praiseworthy in at least a couple of areas; but I have seen what I would call a decline in the actual writing since the BB focus became the most important thing.
word count: 154
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro