Hart Hanson's Variety interview - thoughts please?

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Hart Hanson's Variety interview - thoughts please?

Post by ThyneAlone »

This interview was referenced in the Random thread, so I thought I'd bring it up here for proper discussion.
Assimilate, consider and comment!
http://community.livejournal.com/bones_ ... tml#cutid1
word count: 31
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Re: Hart Hanson's Variety interview - thoughts please?

Post by jade.stormcloud »

LOL. I just posted a link to it in the random thread. Same interview, different link. :)
word count: 16
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi everyone,

Before I make any comment I'd just like to say total repect to HH for creating a show which I absolutely love to watch, however...

Apparently the fact that the show has more viewers reflects well on the S4 finale. Well, each to their own with the finale, I really didn't like it, won't stop me watching though. I do think that viewing figures, especially for that show had more to do with all the pre show talk which HH helped to keep going than with the quality of the episode. Which leads me on to my next point...

If HH says he's never going to say what is going to happen in the show (which is fair enough even though I am the nosiest person on the planet and love to know in advance), then why doesn't he just stick to 'I'm not saying' rather than come out with ambiguous statements (maybe its got something to do with those viewing figures again). I mean he said the other day that he was surprised that people thought Booth had amnesia and it wasn't meant to appear that way, yea right! If it wasn't meant to appear that way then what would the whole cliffhanger thing be that Emily took great delight in telling people about.

To be honest I'm starting to get a bit sick of the whole B&B thing, its wearing thin and there are other characters in the show. I've said it before and I'll say it again that there is absolutely no reason why they can't put the characters together romantically, yes it would be a challenge to the writers but I'm sure they could rise to it. I think its more unbelievable that after four years they are still dancing round each other like a pair of young teenagers, personally speaking if I was in Brennan's shoes it would have taken about a week, or maybe two if I was playing hard to get!

Talking of Brennan I cannot agree that she has got better with people etc, I've been watching the earlier seasons recently and she was actually more emotional and feeling then to some extent, what about 'Boy in the Bush' and 'Boy in the Shroud' she showed great empathy in both. I think nowadays she can be quite unfeeling and a bit callous, I mean she has basically called Booth a loser and stupid this season, and there have been times when I've really felt she needed a slap. I think she was also more quirky and individual when the show first started. Also, again I've said this before, how can she possibly be a best selling crime writer when she's so clueless with a lot of modern cultural references. This is not a swipe at Emily by the way who I think is excellent, its more a pop at the writing.

Finally I'm not sure I like the whole romantic comedy thing either, I must have missed when the show went into that genre. Yes it does have elements of that, and I like the comedy, particularly from TJ by the way. However, I much prefer David B as Booth when he's being sincere and caring then when he's being comedy Booth who comes across as a bit two dimensional.

Anyway that's all just my opinion and whatever happens I'm going to carry on watching although I have to say that 'Lie to me' is creeping up there in my affections at the mo.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 613

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Well, here is my problem with HH's saying that Booth didn't have amnesia, that he was just confused because the dream was so real. In order for him to be confused about which Brennan she was, he'd also have to be confused about the fact that he is an FBI agent and she's a forensic anthropologist. Because in the dream where they are married they are club owners and have nothing to do with the FBI or the Jeffersonian. So, either way, some sort of amnesia going on there...

And, I still believe he lied about the finale. And I have to agree with you Jude, just say nothing, not these ambiguous statements. I do read spoilers but if he said nothing, we'd still have other spoilers. The difference is that when I read something HH says I believe it is what is going to happen, when I read a spoiler from some other source, I'm not surprised when it doesn't happen. Same thing happened with Gilmore Girls, the writers said something and then it turns out she did EXACTLY what she said she wasn't going to do. Its annoying. And yes I do know the solution is to not read spoilers or just don't believe them. LOL

As far as Brennan having more people skills now, I'd say yes and no. What has changed is that she doesn't seem to care so much about the victim anymore. Even when she was clueless about everything else, she was always the biggest defender of the dead-their story deserves to be heard. So that leads to another thing...

If the dead body comes first, then the stories of the characters revolve around that, then why is the story about the victim an afterthought in most of season 4?

I think I need to read the interview again, but Jude I think all of your points are really really great!

Sharon

word count: 330
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I'm undecided about whether I think HH lied to us. There was some talk for a while about the sex scene being a scene from the future rather than part of the AU, but it's unclear whether that's the case. If it's a future scene, then he could have a leg to stand on, but if it's just AU... well, it's hard to know whether you can believe anything he says. I do agree that if they're not going to tell the truth, they just shouldn't say anything at all.

I also agree with Jude that Brennan seems to have gone backwards sometimes in her ability to interact. She seemed to have more respect for other cultural differences in the first season than in this one. If I had to choose, I'd probably have to say that I enjoyed her spark & character more in the first season than now. Part of the problem is that she was so confident & tough in earlier episodes, but now, the writers are having her question all of her previous views & I think it weakens her & makes her second-guess herself far more often. Lately, it seems like every single time she has a decision to make, she turns to Booth for his opinion instead of relying on her own judgement.

I think part of the lack of focus on the victim comes from the fact that they have Brennan in the field far more than in the lab. She's not really seeing & connecting with the victims as much as she used to. She's too busy running around with Booth, questioning suspects & looking for cop clues rather than forensic clues. That's one of the reasons that I think they should have Brennan back in the lab more next season. Bones & Booth need to reassert their places & skills. I think it would also be beneficial for the B&B relationship. Less time together means that the writer's would be free to make those moments more poignant & meaningful.

I don't have an opinion on the amnesia thing yet. My initial inpression when watching the ep was that he had amnesia, but I have heard that it's possible that he's just confused from his dream. I'm planning to hold off on any judgement on the topic until I see how it actually plays out next season.

Sorry for the long post.
word count: 410
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke