Bones 5.03 The Plain In The Prodigy

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Bones 5.03 The Plain In The Prodigy

Post by ThyneAlone »

Honestly! I leave the place for 5 minutes and either there is too much to read when I get back or you all abandon me! Is there no in between? Everybody must have been pretty busy over the last few days I guess! Or maybe peopling the chat box instead.

So what did you all think of this one? Overall I am feeling that the start of this season has been a little tentative, like the show isn't quite sure what it wants to be or do. It's a bit like a rewind. The BB references have definitely been slightly toned down in favour of more full-on attention to the cases, which is no bad thing (except that there isn't enough acknowledgement of the Big Events at the end of last season - almost as though the op didn't happen. Writers in denial as well as the alpha pair?); and the victims are receiving marginally more respect even though they are still dying in unpleasant fashion. But in S1 and S2 of this show the family relationships between the squints were much more evident and they had far more interaction than is the case thus far this season. The communications between them were a bit mechanical and stereotyped - Clark with his traditional dislike of the personal/work mix for example. But that was for comic relief and I am quite pleased to have the latter turned over to someone other than Booth. I suppose I need to give it a chance; after all, there are interesting things projected according to the rumours this time round. But this is a TJ site and he isn't getting much meat at the moment, so this is my slight initial rumbling of discontent.

On the positive side, there was lots to like. The plot was much easier to follow, save that it was another one of those where the guilty party didn't actually emerge from the investigations, just seemed to be tagged on at the end as an afterthought. We did see a lot of Cam outside the lab, and I loved her developing intimacy and understanding with her adopted daughter. Although when Michelle first appeared last season I thought she looked too young for her age, and I now feel she looks too old. She and Cam looked like sisters at one point!

But at last I sense coherence in the overview of an ep. It had a theme! To wit, the decisions and responsibilities inherent in growing up. Michelle needed to listen to Cam and make an informed decision about the possibility of sex with her boyfriend (though, looking back, I am not sure whether Cam's a great role model; relationship with an ex in a work situation, leaping into bed with Grayson Barasa at the first opportunity), and Levi had to think very hard about what was more important to him, his beliefs or his music - an incredibly difficult dilemma at his age. Both young people made a remarkably mature impression. It was a pity that Booth diluted the impact of this at the end with his bull-at-a-gate veiled threats to Michelle's boyfriend. Suddenly Michelle's decision seemed less significant, as if it all depended on the male attitude to the relationship, whatever she thought about it. For someone prepared to wait as long as Booth has for a glimmering from Brennan, it seemed oddly out of character. Admittedly we have seen all his protective instincts in full flow on many previous occasions.

On the whole I liked this one. The start of the season has been a little subdued so far, but is showing promise. What do you think?
word count: 620
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Bones 5.03 The Plain In The Prodigy

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

Hmmm, not sure about this one, after the Bones does CSI of last week this was a bit like Bones does Cold Case, I don't mean the nature of the case but the feel of the epi, high in sentimentality, and I don't think anyone doeas that better than Cold Case.

However, I did quite like the ending, except they should have concentrated on the parents and the victim rather than showing B&B exiting the house, that looked so false to me.

I loved Brennan's not in the spirit of Rumspringer comment, its funny how high and mighty she gets when she's offended by something especially when you think how offensive she can be sometimes.

I didn't like the way the case was resolved, what was that about, ok we've just spent an entire episode learning who could be responsible and then it turns out to be someone completely out of left field who is explained by a Booth commentary, while I'm on the subject of Booth I do love the new adjective 'Boothy'.

TJ was looking about twelve in this episode with the more clean shaven look, more stubble is good! God that comment was shallow but hey a bit of shallow is good for you!

I quite liked the Cam/Michelle relationship but I'm thinking the whole thing was a bit easily and cosily reasolved in true Hollywood style. I actually quite liked Booth playing the heavy, using the new adjective, it was quite a 'Boothy' thing to do.

I liked the theme of coming of age and the conflicts that can bring, I did think it was a bit simplistic but I was nearly in tears at the thought of someone damaging their own hand and I have to say I reckon acting honours in this one should go to the guy who played the Amish brother, that scene with Booth was really powerful.

Anyway, I liked this episode but its one of those that I may revisit once or twice at some point not like some which I've nearly worn out on DVD or Sky+. I virtually always watch two ot three times though with the exception of two epis, 'The End in the Beginning' (get it, but still think WHY????) and 'The Finger in the Nest' (liked the epi but it has animal death and I would need at least two boxes of tissues).

Anyway I digress still liking season 5 better than 4 just didn't find this one particularly memorable.

Btw just seen the gag reel for S4 on fanpop and its hysterical, gotta say working with DB must be like working with your average five year old sometimes.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 463

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I liked it. It likely will never become one of my favorites, as I tend to enjoy more those episodes that focus on the characters. We had a good B story with Cam & Michelle, but as Cam's not my favorite of the characters & Michelle is basically a stranger still at this point, their interaction is not something I'm going to be dying to watch over & over again.

I loved seeing the sex talk issue resolved, though, and the revelations it brought out in the others. I think they did a great job of showing how a good, honest discussion of this topic could go. I also think the decision was addressed fairly and with respect. They did an admirable job of showing that it's important to take the decision seriously & to trust in yourself.

The focus on the victim this time around was nice. Some times last season the victims became objects of derision or humor, never becoming a person that either the characters or the audience sympathized with. I feel that these first few episodes this season have really re-upped the bar on bringing home the humanity of these people and helping us to see the tragedy of their deaths. We are being reminded again, as we were in the beginning, that we are all connected & that every untimely death effects us all.

I did not mind, at all, the fact that the killer was sprung on us at the end. He was just a nobody that came suddenly out of the blue. It was random & unexpected, like the crime itself. It's the shock, the pointlessness, the frustration, & the offensive audacity that some unknown should step in and take everything away at the last moment, that is the very heart of it. We make choices in our lives, we look at the evidence & make our selections, but in the end it can all be taken away by chance, ignorance, blind greed or uncaring cruelty. It's appalling, it's unfair, & that's the point.
word count: 340
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Nice commentary, Jade. I'm with you on all of that except the unconnected killer at the end, and actually I find your argument very persuasive. Random horrible things do happen in real life.

I guess once again this is the result of my own tendency to regard a TV show as a fine-tuned work of art rather than a reflection of reality, and my consequent need for structure and continuity! I think on balance you win!
word count: 78
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro