Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
Akarana
Super Fan
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:21 am
Location: Germany

Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by Akarana »

I hope I didn't just miss the thread for this episode, because I couldn't find one and so opened this one.

It wasn't that I didn't like the episode- that would be too strong- it was just a really "blah" one- for the lack of a better description. And one that just had too many coincidences in it, in my opinion.

Starting with the beginning when the skull was just spit out by the fish while Booth and Brennan were at the aquarium. That's the first time I thought "Oh yeah, right. How convenient".
Then they find all kinds of little evidence that must have been in the samples of sand Hodgins "vacuumed". Did he take the whole aquarium ground with him and searched it or how could he find all those little evidence thingies in the endlessness of the aquarium tank? I mean that thing is enormous and he finds all that this quickly?!
Also astonishing was how quickly Brennan found the human remains in the tank. Did the fish tell her where to find them? Again, I want to point out how large that tank is and she goes in, dives around two corners... well not really because she calls "Over here" in Hodgins direction without having been around the corner. And tada- there's the skeleton.
And then last but not least the murderer just happens to be there at the aquarium when the victim is there- another coincidence. I wouldn't have minded one, but all of them in one episode? They should have named it "The predator and coincidences in the pool".

For me as a Cam fan it was also a blah episode because she was barely around and when she was her famous one-liners were missing.
Did anyone else feel like Clark stole her role and her line when he gave Hodgins the advice? Usually that 's such a Cam thing to do, the whole "I wanna stay out of it and pretend I don't know, but then I just can't keep my mouth shut and say it"- thing.
Back in season 3 Hodgins went to Cam to ask her for advice when it came to Angela (even if they cut half of the scenes) and Sweets and Booth do the same when it comes to their "girls", so I really feel like it should have been her talking to Hodgins.

Talking about Hodgins and Angela- and no, I'm not going to rant again- they, unintentionally, made me laugh today and finally understand. I was wondering the whole time why the heck Hodgins keeps crawling back to her and forgives her time and again for all the crap she puts him through. Today I understood. :D "I like scary" Hodgins says so innocently and I finally get it. He obviously needs the "scary" kick of having his heart broken again and again. Angela likes scary as well- so be it. I'm sure he's in for one hell of a ride if they get bak together. A really SCARY one. :lol:

Last but not least: I don't know why, but Hacker creeps me out. For me he seems to try and be one of the "cool" kids, but he tries a bit too hard and that makes it uncomfortable to watch and kind of... creepy?! Like the outsider in school who tries just a tad too hard to belong- and that puts him in the corner once again.

I liked the woman for Booth though and their scens were not as hard for me to watch (not hard because I want BB together, but hard because it's so uncomfortable it makes me cringe).

All in all a very "blah" epi. I want more Cam, less Hacker, more lab research and less coincidences.
word count: 639
HODGINS: Well, hello, my exotic princess.
CAM: What a charmingly inappropriate greeting, Dr. Hodgins.

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I'd just like to apologize up front for the negativity. I was not overly impressed with this one, probably because the whole B&B drama was so uncomfortable that it dragged down the whole ep for me. The show started right off with the 3rd party stuff, & so, sad to say, my very first thoughts while watching were "Ugh! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!" Not a good way to start an episode. That's pretty much how it ended for me, as well. There were some good bits, but then every couple minutes we were beat over the head with Bones & Booth "moving on" which irritated me all over again.

Anyway.... some good stuff: I thought it was pretty funnny when the fish literally coughed up the skull. It was also pretty cool the way Hodgins figured out time of death (although, I doubt the coral appreciated being sliced up). :D

And now we're back to the drama. No, Bones, it's NOT okay to bring up your sex life to the guy you just rejected. Although, she got a taste of her own medicine there when he turned the conversation right around again. Jealousy is not fun for anyone. I keep reminding myself that I no longer care whether they get together, but that doesn't negate the unpleasant feelings. Even if I'm not invested in them being together, I still don't like them being unhappy & uncomfortable. When characters keep acting in ways that lead to their own suffering, it can lead to me disliking, not only the situation, but the characters themselves. :(

But then, we get a lovely, hopeful Hodgins/Angela moment. Despite their past drama, I still managed a happy little sigh. I like hope. I like potential. At least they're not currently in a miserable, hopeless state like B&B. For some reason, the "scary" comment reminded me of "The Girl with the Curl" when they had that moment of connection talking about swings ("How high can I go"... "What if I jump off before it stops").

Another amusing moment: Apparently, children are sociopaths. Ah, that's why I don't want any. LOL :D

"She may be on the market for a new intern." HAHA! I was impressed that Clark noticed the bitterness under Jack's snark & called him on it. I had actually expected him to just go with the joke & get a little nervous considering how freaked out he was by Angela's attentions during her celibacy phase. Then, there's another good Clark moment - swirly time! Apparently, Bones is going bobbing for apples, but doesn't want to get wet, so she's using Clark instead! LOL. That's okay; interns don't need to breathe. Didn't she try to strangle him last time? Poor guy's going to really suffocate one of these days. :P

And....we're back to the drama. "Bones, you're the standard." Great line, but would have been so much more fun & squeal-inducing a few weeks ago. Now, it's just kinda sad. The only good thing about the 3rd party dates -- Brennan realized that silly "no fraternization" rule is not written in stone. Otherwise, the dates were fairly cringe-worthy for me (especially since I don't really care for either of their potential significant others; Hacker's a doofus, & I found Booth's new girl just disturbing for some reason). However, I actually kinda wish they'd ended there & not had a B&B moment at the end. It seems to me that since most of the ep was about how they were both trying to move on & connect with new people, it would have made more sense for it to end with them apart with their new prospective others. While I tend to think it may just be the writers pushing for a B&B end scene no matter what, it's possible that, in this case, it's actually intentional, as a way of reinforcing that B&B are meant to end up together no matter what they try to do.

.... I still think it would have been better with them apart. :mrgreen: Opinionated? Me?

Anywhoo.... so, there were a couple funny bits, the tank was pretty enough, & it was a nice H/A moment when they stood there watching it, but UGH! so much 3rd party stuff with B&B. Anyway, this will never ever make it as one of top favorite episodes. In fact, it's bucking for one of my LEAST favorite eps. So sad. I'll have to just keep watching last week's ep, & hope that next week is better.
Last edited by jade.stormcloud on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 780
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

User avatar
skftex
TJ Team Validator
Posts: 2304
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by skftex »

Well first off let me say this to Jessi....Cam not being around much, that definitely was true, but then if you look at the episodes from any season, you'll see that often one of the regulars (other than Booth or Brennan) often have an episode or two where they don't show up much, sometimes its because they have something personal going on at the time and so they aren't given a very big load, and that was probably the case with Cam (Tamara Taylor) for this one. It happens with Michaela Conlin and TJ too. For example, when Devil in the Details was shot, TJ was in NYC for most of it.


Okay, on to the episode..

Again, the case was so minor in this one that it didn't even seem to matter who killed the guy or why. We didn't really get to find out much about him so didn't care at all about it even when they told why.

I did think it was funny when the fish barfed up the skull. Definitely a new way to find body parts! Though I do understand your point Jessi about coincidences, often that is the case with the show so I guess I just let it go.

I absolutely hate Hacker, I think he's an idiot. And all his jokes about his position and how he got there aren't funny. I realize the point is that he is an FBI agent and having Brennan date an FBI agent is the whole point of this particular little story...just as now Booth is going to be dating a scientist. Hmmm what do you think THAT is supposed to signify? (Hit us all over the head with a club why don't you, because MAYBE there is one person out there that watches Bones that doesn't get that Booth and Brennan are supposed to be together...sigh)

Jade, I agree that it should have ended with Booth and Brennan apart. I think it would have worked a lot better as the impact of it would have been almost as good as the end of the 100th as far as what is going on with the characters as a couple. But of course, we have to have a cute B/B scene instead...(see above comment about hitting us with a club..)

Hodgins and Angela...I liked those scenes because it did go back to the nice connection they had back in the beginning where Angela seemed to be the only one that got his jokes and Hodgins the only one that truly appreciated Angela's comments. And Hodgins standing and staring at the aquarium and practically ignoring Brennan...gotta love that face TJ made. LOL

Okay that is about it. I didn't hate it but I doubt I'll watch it a lot. :)

Sharon


word count: 483
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Akarana
Super Fan
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:21 am
Location: Germany

Re: 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by Akarana »

skftex wrote:Well first off let me say this to Jessi....Cam not being around much, that definitely was true, but then if you look at the episodes from any season, you'll see that often one of the regulars (other than Booth or Brennan) often have an episode or two where they don't show up much, sometimes its because they have something personal going on at the time and so they aren't given a very big load, and that was probably the case with Cam (Tamara Taylor) for this one. It happens with Michaela Conlin and TJ too. For example, when Devil in the Details was shot, TJ was in NYC for most of it.
Yeah, that's true. There are other epis where Tamara barely has any screentime, for whatever reasons, and I always notice (bc she's my favorite).
In this episode it was just bugging me more then usual because I think some Cam humor wouldn't have hurt in it and might have loosened up the whole episode. She always makes me laugh (k, and sometimes even cry) and there wasn't a lot I could laugh about this time. The scary comment from Hodgela, the ratpack joke by Brennan... maybe one or two other scenes that made me smile and that's it. I just missed Cam more than I usually do when she's not around much.

And I don't know why but that thing Clark said, though I believe it was originally scripted for him, just really felt like a "Cam line" to me.
Hope next episode she'll be around A LOT more :D
word count: 275
HODGINS: Well, hello, my exotic princess.
CAM: What a charmingly inappropriate greeting, Dr. Hodgins.

User avatar
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator
Posts: 2699
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:30 am
Location: Northwest UK, near Liverpool

Re: 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by ThyneAlone »

I have to admit I quite liked this. I like eps that look good and are well directed, and this could hardly fail to please visually with all those magnificent underwater scenes. Admittedly the scenario was unlikely, with the coincidences that Jessi rightly points out, and the improbable killer using a most bizarre method when all her charges were in the building, then apparently being able to drag a heavy male body to a tank and throw it in. It does concern me how little we seem to be connecting with the victims these days. We learn about them very superficially and they are relegated to second or even third story. Don't get me wrong, my favourite bits remain the character development, but I am nevertheless interested to know who committed the murder which is being investigated so carefully (and why)! Because I love the careful process that is still so well done in this show, how the research done by individual squints all comes together (that’s why I dislike the episodes where some random element provides the final clue). I could sit in a lesson and learn from Hodgins, if I could get round to listening to his words and not just his voice. He knows so much and TJ makes it sound actually interesting and invests it with excitement and passion.

I know what you mean about the BB development, Jade, but I honestly didn’t object to it, even quite appreciated the change. For me it’s such a relief that they are doing something normal, and trying to get on with their lives, that I don’t find it awkward. I found those overdone, contrived moments of supposed sexual tension much more difficult (incidentally, on this I share with a couple of you the feeling that a BB finale doesn’t work here). I can’t stand Hacker, I find him really smug and irritating; nevertheless I think Brennan needs at least to think about moving on before opting for Booth, as she will doubtless do in the end. Same with him. You can’t remain suspended in that unnatural situation forever; life intervenes. But of course it’s the two new love interests who are the real ‘predators’ of the title, I think! Tangentially, I still want to see a new love interest for Jack to make Angela a little bit less complacent that he'll always be there to go back to.

Loved: Clark and his advice, suddenly showing that not only is there a lot more to him than we have seen, but also that he has picked up an enormous amount about his colleagues even while protesting that he didn’t want to (I too missed Cam, but I thought this was more powerful through emerging from a character who might not normally make such observations); Angela and Hodgins’ ‘scary’ moment, which I think was certainly intended to hark back to the ‘swings’ conversation and connection – and incidentally describes the same risk-taking feelings; the fish-barf; Brennan and Hodgins in the water, which, apart from being visually stunning, reminded me of the pirate ep, The Man With The Bone; Hodgins and his coral. As a matter of fact I eagerly devoured the TJ moments here as it is rare we get so many – more than we have had in a while and, as Sharon says, plenty for him to do with that face of his!
word count: 576
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I didn't even notice that the ep was Cam-lite. I seldom do until someone points it out. I think Cam is great & I always enjoy her humor & interactions with the others, but I guess I'm not nearly as invested in that character as some of the others.

I definitely agree about the murder storylines seeming to get less focus. While I don't think it's crucial for it to be the main point of the episode, it's nice to have that empathy for the vic & their family, or at least interest in the solving of the case itself. This one did have a couple interesting science facts - the blue vodka, the coral rings, & the method of murder, but I wasn't particularly interested in the vic, the motive, or the killer. Too true about how TJ always injects that excitement & passion into Hodgins' work, though. I love that.

I don't mind that the dynamic between B&B has changed. I like that the elephant has spoken & won't go back to being silent, but I think I'd prefer not to see the dates. Maybe they could just mention that they're each dating & we could then see the effect on them, but they could keep the actual people off-camera (Hodgins & Angela did that once or twice), because I just really don't like Hacker or Catherine.

As for Jack having an interest... I would have liked to see that before, but now... it seems like H&A are too close to a possible reconnection to start throwing someone else in between. He's got to be sensing the potential that has risen up again as far as they're concerned & I wouldn't think that he'd risk that by turning to someone else right now. I may be wrong, though. I don't think it would actually ruin anything if he dated someone else. After all, he's repeatedly mentioned that he'd like to get back with Angela & she's never verbalized a similar interest, so she certainly couldn't hold it against him for continuing to date others. I guess I could go either way on this topic.

It may not have been a fun ep for me, but I've been enjoying the discussions so far. :)
word count: 388
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

User avatar
SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy
Posts: 562
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:08 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by SmackyKennedy »

So I'm half and half on this one. I did think the underwater scenes were great and wish there could have been more, like Hodgins had to go back for more evidence :mrgreen: Really interesting science with the fish being a murder weapon, the coral , etc. I do agree with everybody about the murderer getting less focus. I think they should have mentioned the teacher had fibromyalgia at the 1st meeting, built up some empathy, given a clue. If there was a clue I missed it. Need to watch again, although will likely be fast forwarding though most of the non-TJ moments.

I enjoyed the moment that Clark and Hodgins had, and it was interesting to see that Hodgins apparently still has a bit of anger going on there. Kind hope he can let that out with Angela at some point. He's been so sweet to her but he has to be hurting about the situation. I also don't think it would be a bad idea for him to see someone else for a bit. We have plenty of time for their happy ending too.

"children are sociopaths... :laughing-rollingred: And loved the grouper (was that what it was) barfing up the skull. Love their gross humor.

As for B&B....Hated the dating scenes. I think it would have been enough just showing them in passing, like Hacker picking Brennan up at the lab, etc. like at the beginning of the episode. That was plenty for me. I dislike Hacker too, but that's mostly because I can't get his Drew Carey character out of my head. That diner scene was just really awkward for me! I do actually like Catherine so far. Other than liking Booth she hasn't done anything wrong in my opinion. Hacker's just always been annoying.

I agree it seemed out of place to show B&B together at the end. I think Hodgins should have taken Angela to the aquarium or something or even Booth/Parker or Angela/Brennan having a moment, I don't know.

On Cam, I'm watching season 3 now and am really getting a better appreciation for her this time around, so I hope she gets a little more development too. Hear a love interest is coming up for her. :D
word count: 385
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:41 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by Jude40 »

Hi everyone

Firstly I have just watched the epi and am still cooling down from the scene with Booth and Catherine in the aquarium he was absolutely smokin' hot in that scene omg!

I have to say I was really pleasantly surprised by the epi 'cos it hasn't had that great reviews but I really liked it and although we all know that B&B will end up together I reckon Booth and Catherine fit really well together she is kind of a Brennan/Angela combo sassy and smart. It was interesting to see that it appeared to be Brennan who was strugging more with 'moving on'.

I know I'm in a minority but I actually quite like Hacker too; he makes me smile. However, I don't think he's believable as the deputy director of the FBI.

So Hodgins and Angela appear to be on the brink of a reunion I loved the scary scene, I also thought that showed a lot of Brennan's character development, she clicked on to the fact that she should make an exit and I don't think she would have done not so long ago.

I loved the scene with Booth and Sweets taking the kids cameras when Sweets mentioned the murder and Booth 'saved' him I think DB and JFD work really well together.

I liked the irony of it being the very work orientated Clark who got Hodgins to start to 'wake up to his reality' as Angela would say.

Finally I get to my fave bit, I have to say I never thought there would be one as good as. 'reason for wanting a gun?' 'To shoot people' but I have a new tied fave Bonesism, the ratback 'they must be extraordinary rodents' you gotta love her.

Anyway that's all for now roll on next epi 'Hot Blooded' here we come!

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 321

Sandy
Fan
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Spain

Re: Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by Sandy »

Hi guys!!How are you?

The truth is that the episode was not bad ....The case has not been so intense .. as Hi folks! such?

The truth is that the episode was not bad ....
About Booth and Brennan i expected more jealous, especially by BRENNAN ... Cathy .. well ..is a great gril.. but the people hate her.. Lol.
Andy .. is a great guy, funny .. but sometimes I think how he can be Booth´s boss and director of the FBI, because sometimes it seems rather silly .. ajaj and I do not see him with to Brennan. They dont make a nice couple.
ahh I loved Hodgins and Angela´s scenes .. was so cool see again their feeling... i want thay back together again.

hehe was funny when Clark made the victim .. ahh like Zack in his poor Brennan pish his face in the water .. jajajaa while others have astonished faces.

Im waiting the next episode!!! will be great!!! Hot blooded sin and dance yeah!!

Rock´n roll baby!!! :dance:
word count: 167
Image

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:09 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by hanneDK »

Hmmm :think:

I have struggled a lot with myself whether to make a post with my thoughts on this week episode..

Can't say that I hated it or loved it.. it was, as Jessi puts it so well, BLAH!
Couldn't find the right word untill I talked with Jessi on FB.. :-)

I don't really have much to say because for once I didn't pay that much attention to the story.. well untill Hodgins appeared.. :lol:

As Steph said:I could sit in a lesson and learn from Hodgins, if I could get round to listening to his words and not just his voice. He knows so much and TJ makes it sound actually interesting and invests it with excitement and passion.
I'm with you Steph on that.. If Hodgins had been my Biology teacher in school I would have been a lot more attentive in lessons - for various reason.. :roll: :D
And to quote Jade:But then, we get a lovely, hopeful Hodgins/Angela moment. Despite their past drama, I still managed a happy little sigh. I like hope. I like potential. At least they're not currently in a miserable, hopeless state like B&B. For some reason, the "scary" comment reminded me of "The Girl with the Curl" when they had that moment of connection talking about swings ("How high can I go"... "What if I jump off before it stops").
Being a H/A-shipper I hope that a reunion will happen soon.. the question is just how has HH etc., planned that to happen?!I really loved the scenes between them, now that they have begun to realize that they really belong together..

Sorry.. but that what I really has to say.. not much.. mostly H/A..

Hanne
word count: 293

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by jade.stormcloud »

hanneDK wrote:If Hodgins had been my Biology teacher in school I would have been a lot more attentive in lessons - for various reason.. :roll: :D
So true. LOL.
word count: 27
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:46 pm
Location: NY, US

Re: Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by kayleigh_marie »

jade.stormcloud wrote:
hanneDK wrote:If Hodgins had been my Biology teacher in school I would have been a lot more attentive in lessons - for various reason.. :roll: :D
So true. LOL.
:dance: My science teacher, for three different classes, was so similar to Hodgins, and so cute. I think that started MY attraction to cute science buffs ;)

On to my thoughts of the episode.

I don't like the idea of Brennan and Hacker. And to be honest, I don't like seeing the discomfort and the tension between Brennan and Booth.
But it's necessary. They confessed their love for eachother, and it's bound to make for some awkward times together. If Hart hadn't put it like that, then I wouldn't like the show at the moment.

I have to say, I like Clark the best of the interns at the moment. And him "breaking the cardinal rule", in my mind, is his way of saying he's finally comfortable in his surroundings, and we may see it some more.

There were a lot of coincidences in this epi. I agree there. But I think the episode flowed well enough.

"I like Scary." I don't know about anyone else, but I got a familiar Hodgela tingle there. Though I'd stated last week that there would be some what of an awkward conversation, and expected to be right, I'm glad I wasn't. I liked that scene.

And come on. "I couldn't walk, so I swam with sharks."
What kind of an idiot is going to believe that drivel?
:shifty: Sorry. I think those self-help seminars are the most ridiculous ideas... I know some people are desperate to be better, but believing a man who was paraplegic went and swam with sharks, and came out with the use of his legs? That's a bit pathetic.

Er... Ha. I think I'm done, I may watch the epi. again soon and add more.
word count: 328
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by jade.stormcloud »

kayleigh_marie wrote:They confessed their love for eachother, and it's bound to make for some awkward times together. If Hart hadn't put it like that, then I wouldn't like the show at the moment.
Actually, they didn't really say that they loved each other. Not explicitly. Booth said that he wanted to give them a chance, & with his talk about couples that are together their whole lives & how he always knew, it could certainly be implied that he loved her, but it was never overtly said. I find that slightly encouraging in a weird way, because it means that conversation is still to come. At some point, those words have to be spoken or the issues at hand have not truly been addressed. Just my own opinion. As someone on another forum put it... this couldn't be the real MOMENT for them, because the real moment would have to have those words (or something to that effect). Anywho, just a thought.
kayleigh_marie wrote: And come on. "I couldn't walk, so I swam with sharks."
What kind of an idiot is going to believe that drivel?
:shifty: Sorry. I think those self-help seminars are the most ridiculous ideas... I know some people are desperate to be better, but believing a man who was paraplegic went and swam with sharks, and came out with the use of his legs? That's a bit pathetic.
I do think that a lot of self-help gurus are likely shams, scamming people out of their money by preying on their hopes & fears. However, I don't think I'd call the people looking for help "pathetic." "Desperate," perhaps. It's so easy to give in to fear & hopelessness, especially for someone like the murderer in this story who suffered constant pain. If they've tried other routes to heal themselves or their lives, & they feel that they are out of other options, they'd likely be willing to try anything. And I imagine that, despite the writer's primary motivations, & despite the true origins of his self-help mantras, he may have been able to truly help some people. The concept of facing our fears is a valid one, & whether his story was accurate or not, it may have given people the courage or hope to keep fighting in their own lives.

On a bit of a philosophical tangent, I think there is a difference between truth & TRUTH. We can find TRUTH in fiction all the time. Myths & stories shed light on universal ideas & ideals, & they can affect us in unexpected ways. I have been moved by novels or TV shows, touched or inspired by the characters & stories they contain. Those characters & stories may not be real, yet still they have sometimes managed to change my life. I always loved this quote by Richard Bach: "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies & heartbeats." It's true. It's amazing sometimes to realize how much more of an effect the characters in my books or on TV have on my life than do my neighbors.
word count: 533
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

AmyLynn
Fan
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:04 pm
Location: Gouverneur, New York
Contact:

Re: Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by AmyLynn »

I am in the 'not a fan' of Hacker as well. His humor is lame and he does try to hard, and well, he's not that great looking either.

I am finding myself less interested in the vic and killer, I'm not sure why, what's changed? It's almost as though in my mind it is a secondary plot instead of the main plot. I am paying so much attention to the character relationships and sub plots that every once and a while I am like oh ya, we're looking for a killer...I almost forget that the show is a forensic show not a soap....lol

I did love the murder weapon in this epi though and thought that was pretty creative.

I do wish that they would not have Brennen almost rubbing his [Booth's]face in her love/sex life with someone else. I love both those characters, and I really don't want to start disliking either one, which will happen if they portray Brennen in that light.

One of my favorite things about the Bones Series is the chemistry that ALL the actors have among themselves. And Bones and Booth's are topmost at that list. However it seems to me that this 'awkwardness' the writers have created by bringing the attraction to light between them but not following through, has dulled the chemistry between the two actors that I have always appreciated. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they don't have any anymore, it just seems dulled a bit.
word count: 264

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist
Posts: 310
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:46 pm
Location: NY, US

Re: Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Yeah, but I think they did so in their own way.
Though the phrase, "I love you" wasn't said outright, they said it.
So I really understand the awkwardness. As do most adults, having loved at some point, and it didn't work out.


And don't take it the wrong way. I was talking about that instance in particular.
I don't mean all people who believe in self-help gurus are pathetic. Just in my opinion, that story was so far-fetched.
There could be some truth to some self-help seminars out there, but that one just struck me as bull.
word count: 105
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Bones 5.18 - The Predator in the Pool

Post by jade.stormcloud »

kayleigh_marie wrote:Yeah, but I think they did so in their own way.
Though the phrase, "I love you" wasn't said outright, they said it.
So I really understand the awkwardness. As do most adults, having loved at some point, and it didn't work out.
Oh I totally agree about the awkwardness. What was said was more than enough to create a very difficult situation. I was just pointing out that while the sentiment was certainly expressed, those actual words had yet to be spoken. Even when talking to others, Booth has never said outright that he loved Brennan, but merely kept silent when they said it. I just find that interesting & think there must be a reason that the writers have kept those words as yet unspoken.
kayleigh_marie wrote:And don't take it the wrong way. I was talking about that instance in particular.
I don't mean all people who believe in self-help gurus are pathetic. Just in my opinion, that story was so far-fetched.
There could be some truth to some self-help seminars out there, but that one just struck me as bull.
I wasn't offended or anything :P, I can quite understand your incredulity at his story. I think I was just trying to say that if I were to pick up one of his books, I'd probably care less about the truth of his story, & more about the usefulness of his theories. I'm of the belief that truth & inspiration can be found in the oddest places sometimes. Of course, this comes from the person who majored in Philosophy & has on her non-fiction bookshelves everything from "The Oxford Study Bible" to "The Tao of Pooh." :D (....Even given that, I probably wouldn't buy his book. lol)
word count: 301
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke