Bones 5.19 The Rocker In The Rinse Cycle

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 5.19 The Rocker In The Rinse Cycle

Post by ThyneAlone »

I have a feeling that if DB had been in tune she would have been singing a reasonable harmony. ;)
word count: 19
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Hm.
I loved the guitar as the murder weapon.

Is it pathetic that I knew the Asian guy did it?
I think I need to stop watching so many movies. And trying to profile people on TV shows. :roll:

lol and the guy from buckcherry, really?
He's really unattractive. Too many tattoos, for one thing.

Er... Another thing.. I thought it was kind of, well, hot the way Angela was all over the guitar stuff... But I'm a swinging door :oops:

Uh... What else. I watched it last week. haah.
I loved then Brooth *shivers* *ahem*... Booth and Brennan sang together. It made me happy.
I think she was singing off-key based on her interpretation of the rock and roll genre.
It's different than her singing something seriously.
And she was having too much fun :clap:
Yay for laid back Tempe.

The testicle part had me and my step dad laughing pretty hard, I have to say.
And the bits falling from the top of the washer.

HA. Okay, I think I'm done.
(:
word count: 175
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

What's "a swinging door"?
word count: 5
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

kayleigh_marie wrote:He's really unattractive. Too many tattoos, for one thing.
Actually, though I'm not one for tats, I do like the look of him. There's a modicum of sensitivity in that face.

Yeah, what is a swinging door? :cry: :?:
word count: 43

boo
Fan

Post by boo »

My guess is she's bisexual (swings both ways) :lol:

Gosh, I didn't realize that was the guy from Buckcherry!! :o It wasn't the guitar player surely, cuz I kept thinking what a terrible job this "actor" was doing of pretending to be a guitarist.

They get some really big guests on this show. I wonder if he knows one of the stars personally.
word count: 64
I demand another beetle. Jeff has a groin pull.

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

ThyneAlone wrote: Actually, though I'm not one for tats, I do like the look of him. There's a modicum of sensitivity in that face.

Yeah, I get that. But his character rubbed me the wrong way...

And Boo is right. :lol: I didn't mean to use my flax terminology on you.
It just comes out. lol
word count: 58

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

kayleigh_marie wrote: And Boo is right. :lol: I didn't mean to use my flax terminology on you.
It just comes out. lol
Ah. I thought that might be what you meant.
word count: 32
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

:doh: Of course. Thanks guys!
word count: 4

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

lol sorry if I made anyone uncomfortable :?
word count: 7

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Not me. :P
word count: 2

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Nor me. Why would you? :)

But thanks for being sensitive and considerate!
word count: 12

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Okay, this episode is from season 5 so my comments are old news, but... it's been ages since I've played here on Tj's site and I thought I'd warm up to posting about season 6 by watching the final four episodes of season 5 first. Hey, what can I say? Sometimes I've got to do things at my own pace! :D

I'll mainly be reiterating what most everyone else said, but I thought I'd post it anyway. Just to let you know I'm here and starting to post again. *waves hi to Sharon and Steph and Simone and Jade and Jude and everyone else whom I haven't chatted with in far too long*

First off, the FX team outdoes itself again. That flesh falling from inside the washing machine? GROSSSSSSSSS. :mrgreen:

(But I did like the 'girl talk' about lady parts, between Cam and Brennan. It seemed realistic, and I liked their candor.)

First dialogue I loved:

HODGINS: Condom. (examines it a little more closely) Unused. Never mind.
ME: (choking on my dinner, trying not to laugh)

CAM: Is there a testicle up here?
HODGINS: (glancing over at Arastoo) Four that I know of.
ME: (laughing again)

I must be tired, because I keep laughing at all the testicle humor. Especially how Booth and Sweets keep cringing as Brennan talks about ways in which the victim might have lost one. Heh.

And by the way, in reading all your posts wondering why these seasoned scientists would be squeamish about a body part, I really do think that the characters didn't necessarily have issue with the testicle itself; I think they were grossed out by what HAPPENED to it. Kind of like how Brennan was once grossed out by the idea of a decorative ring being ripped out of the victim's belly button. In this instance, the idea of a testicle (prosthetic or otherwise) being shattered into bits was probably a bit of an OWWWWW thought to everyone on the team. Cringeworthy, indeed.

I know some of you liked the music moment between Booth and Brennan but for me it felt too orchestrated, too convenient. I found myself eyerolling, even if I did like the line that harkened back to the original 'Hot Blooded' moment; good continuity there. I just felt the actual playing music together felt too forced into being a "BOOTH AND BRENNAN HAVE A MOMENT" moment, you know? So it didn't tickle me like it could have. (That, and... oh, David. I love you, but please don't quit your day job to try and become a rock 'n roll singer.)

However, I did enjoy Booth's enthusiasm about rock 'n roll. That felt very consistent with his character. And I like Brennan's comment that she plays all sorts of cultural instruments. That's totally believable. I think she would have traveled a lot and tried to learn as much as she could about the cultures she visited, including trying out their instruments. I'm actually kind of bummed that they didn't have her NOT be able to play the guitar and instead offer to play Booth a song on some totally out-of-the-ordinary instrument that he thinks is bizarre. Missed opportunities for more natural humor, I think. Or maybe it's just me.

I love that Angela knows her guitars (especially given who her father is). That's a terrific detail. And of course, Hodgins finding it hot is completely in character. LOL. And she wasn't wrong -- that guitar was gleaming and gorgeous.

A big yay for Cam going on a date. I really liked that side story. It was very sweet. And I gotta say, I did laugh when Michelle gave Cam the third degree like she was the parent and Cam the child. I can't blame her for being squicked -- if my parent started dating my doctor, that would be way too awkward for me to handle; I wouldn't want to continue seeing the doctor, not if they were going to be dating. I thought that aspect of the episode was probably the nicest part of the entire thing, very believable, very natural, very sweet. And I like Cam with this guy. I think if she were to end up with a dominant guy, that might not necessarily be what she needs. I think Cam's had to play the hard ass at work for so long, it might be nice for her to find a nice guy, a gentle guy, someone who will give her the space to bring out her softer aspects.

Another moment of dialogue amusement:

SWEETS: You know, the guitar has long been recognized as an unconscious symbol of copulation. The head and the shaft are phallic, the body feminine. Maybe our killer was acting out of sexual confusion.
BOOTH: Or maybe someone just wanted the guitar. Wouldn't you?
SWEETS: Yeah.
BOOTH: Yeah.

LOL.

I never thought of the guitar as a symbol of copulation. I thought it was a straight out phallic symbol. I've seen how some guitarists are with their instruments on stage. *laughs uproariously* Totally phallic. :lol:

The case wrap-up:

I don't buy that killer. I just… the way he leapt off the stage and willingly went with Booth with a simple (and oddly joyful), "I couldn't let that poseur play… it was worth it. Whoo!" It seemed to be brushed off too easily. Is he psychopathic? He didn't care that he'd killed a human being, not in the slightest? Why, because he was having too much fun playing his guitar?

This episode's case seems to fall into the pattern the writers seem to have in these newer seasons of making the victim unworthy of sympathy. Why? So we won't care about the victim's death, and won't care about whether or not the case resolves in a way that makes sense? Or, so we won't care if the case wraps up too quickly and neatly right at the end in the last couple of minutes?

Kind of a bummer, especially after the interesting aspects of the case, in which the guitar itself was used to kill the victim and could be examined in pieces in order to catch the killer. That was a part I really did like a lot. (And of course, that Hodgins found the final piece of the puzzle is always a delight. *GRIN*)

Though I have been weary of the standard 'Booth and Brennan meaningful talk' at the end of every episode, I did like this one because both David and Emily played their parts subtly, and I liked the fading exchange about how he couldn't believe she passed on Led Zeppelin tickets instead of offering them to Booth. Heh.

Overall, a decent, nicely paced episode. Not a bad one for my re-entry to watching and commenting about this show. :D

To borrow from Booth and Brennan, I'm back, baby, I'm back! ;)
word count: 1179
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh