Bones 6.02 The Couple in the Cave

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Bones 6.02 The Couple in the Cave

Post by SmackyKennedy »

So I guess I'll be first...

I thought this was a much better episode than the premiere. At least we're back to focusing on the case a bit more. I actually missed the bad guy this time too, but looking back on it now and how needy the ranger was it's like :doh: Probably lack of sleep--I've had about 2 hours since Wednesday.

I like Hannah. There, I said it. :shifty: She has a strong personality and doesn't seem to be intimidated by B&B's relationship. She handled herself well with Brennan's bluntness about her and Booth, especially with that "thanked him sexually" comment. (Oh Brennan :roll: ) I'm looking forward to seeing where this all goes. It is a bit weird seeing Booth kissing someone else--it's just not right, you know? But I understand it's for a reason, so I can look at the big picture. I suppose there are worst things than seeing more scenes with DB shirtless. :wink:

I feel for Brennan. She is obviously struggling with her feelings. I think Emily's doing a great job with it.

Happy to see Clark return. Very funny scene with the sexual frustration and how the tables were turned on him for a bit. :D The sneezing thing was a bit over the top as far as the team ruling out a suspect. If you are really angry enough to hurt someone would sneezing stop you? Of note, I read a tweet where Eugene Byrd indicated he hit his head by accident when filming. If that's true awesome that they kept it in.

And of course, TJ! Trying to fix his hair while talking with Hannah on the speakerphone? :lol: Adorkable. Cute he was sucking up to Angela after losing his head over Hannah. At least she played it cool--some hormonal pregnant women might have gotten upset over that. I guess she knows she has nothing to worry about!

I guess the best thing I can say about this episode is that I want to watch it again to absorb everything. Not many of the last episodes have done that.
word count: 358
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Re: Bones 6.02 The Couple in the Cave

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I just want to apologize right off about how negative this gets. I thought about not posting it, but decided just to give warning & let you read it or not.

I don't know if I liked this episode any better than the first, although there were parts that were enjoyable. I thought Clark was hilarious. He was the best part of the episode for me.

Hodgins was cute, but it seemed like it was just a repeat of the "bombshell from the bomb squad" story from "Soccer Mom in the Mini-Van."

I don't mind Hannah. What I DO mind is the continuing focus on the B&B not-relationship. Every scene & every conversation that they have apparently has to have some focus on the triangle drama, as if we can't understand the tension & import of the situation without them beating us over the head with it. I also find it weird the way everyone's just decided to talk openly about it. When did that happen? Was there some agreement that when they all came back, people were suddenly going to be blunt about B&B, & pretend that it's always been in the open & not just something where everyone's shooting each other weird looks & pretending to denial & obliviousness?

Anyway, it's not like I can commit to the Hannah/Booth relationship, because is there any way we can possibly believe that it's more than another obstacle for B&B? I believe Hannah loves him. I even believe that he loves her, but we know it won't last, & knowing that, there's no way I'll invest myself emotionally. They'll never be real to me, because all the time, I know that at some point it's going to fall apart. It's just a delaying tactic.

It's gotten past the point where I feel emotionally invested in B&B, either. The way they've been acting, I'm not even sure they belong together anymore. Yet, I know the writers won't drop the storyline & move on, either. They'll beat this dead horse until they feel they've eked every last frustrated drop of hope out of the audience, & then, they'll finally let the characters come together in a too little, too late, anti-climactic, who-gives-a-crap-anymore ending. Sorry. Frankly, I think I'm just getting burned out on the whole "we can't have happy couples" thing that everyone seems to do. I find myself more & more irritated with that in every TV show. 3rd parties showing up, drama being created, couples torn apart just as soon as you think things are going to go well for a change. I'm just sick of it.

Anyway, I'm really sorry for all the negativity. I'll try not to vent so much next time.
Last edited by jade.stormcloud on Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 480
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ooh Jade, I haven't heard you so bummed with turns of Bones events for a long time. If ever. We are all getting a bit cynical about the BB thing, I guess. 5 seasons, enough is enough already. It's a record we are all playing more and more, although Sherry and Sharon were the first I registered with major doubts, and I am as sorry as all of you articulate people to see a show of such rich cast talents and great team storylines subsiding and becoming sadly one-dimensional.

With all that understood, I have to say that the ever-superior cast managed to mould it into something half credible. The title alone broadcast that it was going to be focused on couple relationships and we were directed towards a possible 'triangle' motive at one point. The dead couple was even found by a feuding couple (a disappointingly clichéd one too, woman lambasts partner for losing his way)! And then we did have Daisy and Sweets (where exactly does that ambivalent relationship stand at the moment, by the way?) referred to as well as a couple of short H/A scenes. DB and KW made a very good job of being in love – Hannah really is very attractive and full of dynamism and joy, she’s hard to hate, although the relationship, as you say, cannot convince because it won’t last - and ED did her usual subtle job on inner reactions with her face, which unfortunately was made less subtle by the constant lengthy close-ups of it. It must be really hard to perform a whisper of jealousy flitting across the features for up to 15 seconds. Another cliché would be the individual who is left abandoned at the bar with a half-consumed drink while a potential partner makes off with someone else. Very film noir. <<rolls eyes>>

I have to echo your astonishment at the sudden team consensus to talk about the relationship, and slight annoyance at the character inconsistency that adds Clark to this mix for a cheap laugh or two. I mean, his speech, who says stuff like that??! It really is rather wooden drama.

The writers did make a gesture towards the idea of teamwork by making Cam and Hodgins, as opposed to Brennan, the movers and shakers in the final identification of motive and murderer. Hodgins’ work seems very important this season, so why don’t they give him a little more screen time? I also liked the continuity nod to Booth’s addiction experience; good that he knew so much about AA and similar organisations and their modus operandi.

Hodgins and Angela. I’m finding it now jars a bit when the newly-wed Ange still calls her lover by his surname – don’t know why, it’s never bothered me previously in their relationship. I hope they are not just going to do all that mooning at work again, which so characterised most of S3. Now that they are married and, moreover, prospective parents, I want to see changes. We need to see them move in together and interact outside the lab. Argue over painting the nursery, whatever; we should have moved past minor cute little-boy scenes with Jack finding another woman attractive. Time to see them in family context and making compromises.

So the case was yet again subservient to the relationship arc, which was a shame, as I found it quite interesting this time, since we did follow a succession of events and motivations. What did the couple have in common, where had they met, since their social classes were so far removed? The wronged partner conveyed the other side of the dead man’s personality very well – there we were admiring him for choosing to die beside his lover, but he had made his other relationship untenable with his behaviour. And then the ranger, the ex-military, who scarily could not see the wrong in what he had done. Couple of gripes though. 1) All that George Clooney nonsense. The picture didn’t look like George Clooney and it was a lame joke first time round, never mind at the 3rd or 4th bludgeoned reiteration. 2) I didn’t quite see how they worked out that it was a murder. The couple hadn’t been hit; they’d fallen from a height. Where’s the leap to ‘they were pushed’? 3) Slightly overdone sneezing scene.

Sweets should have kept the face fungus. He looks like a teenager again and that is a loss of authority imho.
word count: 764
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

~*Ali*~
Super Fan

Post by ~*Ali*~ »

Yeah what is with that Angela his name is Jack try using it. Apart from that I thought it was sad seeing DR B drinking alone at the end. I still have a ? in regards to Hannah. But I am thrilled that I’m up to date with New Bones as I found an online site I can see it on. :D

Ali :D
word count: 62

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Slightly overdone sneezing scene, Steph? I thought it was WAY overdone. :lol: That was nuts. It just went on way too long for a bit that wasn't even that funny.

Jade, you've got nothing to apologize for. You are entitled to your opinions and you stated them eloquently. And unfortunately, like Steph pointed out, you're actually singing my song, too. I couldn't find fault with anything you said in your post. These are all frustrations I've felt with the writing for some time now. A good long time now. :(

Especially the beating-us-over-the-head with Booth/Brennan romance stuff in almost every scene. It's getting ridiculous. I want to say to the writers, how dumb do you think I am that I need to have this pointed out to me by every character? That they need to have conversations about it throughout the episode? It's ludicrous. For a show that's supposed to be all about the character development over all else, they're ignoring their own characters in choosing to over-emphasize this one area. And it's surely not doing a good service to the Booth and Brennan characters to be treated this way either. They're not getting any true character development anymore, because their scenes seem orchestrated to hold them back and fit where the writers need them to go instead of allowing for genuine and meaningful interaction. The same goes for all the characters. It's very wearying to me as a viewer, not to mention insulting to my intelligence. I don't understand it. I really don't.

As for this episode, I will say that I thought the picture had a slight resemblence to George Clooney, enough that it did make me laugh the first time someone was shown the sketch and responded with, "Wait -- George Clooney killed that woman?" Heee. But yes, like with most things these days, they beat that joke into the ground. It got ridiculous.

I second Steph's plea for scenes with Jack and Angela out of the lab. It's time! Well past time. And necessary for the evolution of their relationship.

As for Angela calling Jack 'Hodgins,' I don't really mind that. But I come from the X-Files where the two main characters sounded weird if they ever called each other by their first names. The only time they ever did was for rare and important emphasis, which made it really effective. In the case of this Bones episode, I didn't really notice it except in one moment when Angela seemed to use it as a light 'warning' when he was spending too much time checking out Booth's girlfriend on the TV monitor. Which made it an amusing 'Hodgins' to me. But it doesn't trouble me because she's probably used to calling him that. I won't mind it if she interchanges it with 'Jack' every once in a while. :D

I do agree, though, that we should see more meaningful stuff for Jack and Angela. I don't believe Jack would be that insensitive to Angela's feelings. We're human beings and therefore not blind when it comes to other people's attractiveness, and I don't have an issue with him saying, 'Wow, Booth's new girlfriend is beautiful,' just as I wouldn't have an issue with Angela noting the same (or saying it about Brennan's paramours, either), but it's not believable to have Hodgins continue to behave like that, getting all rattled over Hannah and behaving like he did in that one episode Jade pointed out. Surely there are better uses for screen time for these characters than one-note jokes.

As for Hannah, I felt like the writing leaned too hard on commenting that she and Booth are in love. The dialogue got pretty ridiculous in that regard, what with everyone saying it and commenting about it in almost every scene. It got to be too much for me. I wanted to say, who are you trying to convince, writers? Because I don't need to hear it -- I need to SEE it. And I do think we finally got to see it in some playfulness in that bedroom scene, when Hannah grabbed Booth by the tie and pulled him back to bed with her. Then I felt it was a natural moment, fun and believable in a way that all the talking and talking about it don't show.

In an overall sense, I like Hannah. I think she's smart and strong and seems fun. But like others have said, it's tough to commit to the relationship on screen when you know the writers are already planning for it to be over so they can institute Booth/Brennan.

I join Jade in the weariness that it may feel like too little, too late by the time they do bring Booth and Brennan together -- it will likely feel wedged in at the last minute under the writers' insistence that it's somehow supposed to be seen as believable 'character development' when really they haven't put in the work to SHOW it. Way too much telling us what we're supposed to be seeing rather than spending quality screen time showing us the depth of all the relationships on this program. It's disappointing for a show that has so much promise and possibility.
word count: 911

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I agree that I'd like to see them start showing some outside-the-lab stuff for H&A - the changes in their relationship, the new marital & parental issues - but I loved the mooning stage of their relationship & I hope they can maintain some of that. I don't see any reason to write married couples as lacking in passion. My sister & her husband have been married 15 years & have 3 kids, yet they still act like newlyweds half the time (kissing all the time, cuddling on the couch & grabbing each other's butt), & I think it would be great if H&A could maintain some of the same level of fun infatuation that they always had. I also have no problem with her calling him Hodgins. Using the last name is not necessarily a stand-offish gesture. I've often been called by my last name, even by friends. If someone had always called me by my last name, I'd find it weird if they suddenly changed, actually.

I'd also find it odd if Brennan started calling Booth "Seeley" all the time. Once in a while, during a serious moment, their first names may seem more appropriate, but for the most part, I think their names for each other will likely always be Bones & Booth, not Temperance & Seeley.

I agree about Sweets. I liked his look better last week.

As for the Clooney thing, I only saw a very vague resemblance, & only after someone else mentioned it first.
word count: 251
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

jade.stormcloud wrote: I loved the mooning stage of their relationship & I hope they can maintain some of that. I don't see any reason to write married couples as lacking in passion.
Oh, I absolutely agree. Nothing against passion! But there was an unrealistic feel to their S3 period of mutual adoration, a kind of stagnation as they waited for the interminable husband arc to finish. I don't want that. I want passion that is right there rooted in a forward-thinking building of a life together. As you do, by the sound of things!
jade.stormcloud wrote: I also have no problem with her calling him Hodgins. Using the last name is not necessarily a stand-offish gesture. I've often been called by my last name, even by friends. If someone had always called me by my last name, I'd find it weird if they suddenly changed, actually.
That's why I find my reaction odd. I guess it's a personal thing. If I had a male friend, in the past, it was not uncommon for me to call him, affectionately, by his surname. But if the relationship became a serious one I stopped doing that, so I see first name terms as more intimate.
word count: 211

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Well, thought that this one was slightly better than the season opener, but that could be because we did get more of Hodgins.

Jade, I hope you'll always feel you can post your thoughts, good or bad. I honestly think that all sorts of opinions about the show make the discussions more interesting! Though this time, I pretty much agree with everything you said. Though I am not one that likes Hannah. I don't hate her either, but she was too....something. LOL

You know, I never have thought it was weird that Angela calls him Hodgins. I guess because when you get to know someone and use a name for a long time, its hard to change to calling them something else. Though I guess you'd think sometimes she'd call him Jack. Not something that is important to me though. I also loved the S3 mooning and am okay if they are happy.

I do wonder where that Hodgins from season 1 went, because that whole thing where he's all awkward talking to Hannah (and yes, I also thought immediately of Soccer Mom in the Mini-Van) or any woman is not the same guy that smoothly talked to that delivery woman or always had dates. Its just a backward transition for me.

I also thought the drawing looked like George Clooney or enough like him that people would see it when they were showed the photo. And I thought the first time they showed it and the girl said "He killed her? He always seems so nice in the movies" I thought that was funny...the next 3 or 4 times it was less so, because it was beating a joke to death. Like having someone explain a punchline. Sigh.

I knew the minute the park ranger showed up in Booth's office that he was the killer. Didn't know WHY but knew it was going to be him, I thought that was way too obvious, the attempting to "bond" with Booth.

Sharon

word count: 341
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

SHaNe_C
Fan

Post by SHaNe_C »

the sneezing scene sucked. it wasn't funny and it was like the repeated gross-out scenes on family guy. that sucked. and how they were milking the george clooney thing for all of it wasn't funny either.

this episode had some funny parts, though. like hodgins talking about the news, hey i agree with the guy! LOL

hannah kida looks like taylor swift except older. is booth with taylor swift in ten years? messed up! LOL
word count: 78

Elle
Fan

Post by Elle »

I have to say that I had the ranger pegged from the beginning. It felt like a repeat of "The Headless Witch in the Woods," where the killer appears so pathetic and desperate, finding a connection with Brennan (parents were gone, had siblings) and Booth (fought in war). Surprise... NOT.

As to the can't-get-enough-of-each-other-ness of Season 3, I would LOVE to see more of that, and here's why:

Once you get past the morning-sickness stage of pregnancy, blood flow increases, and basically what happened on the security tape that Cam showed Angela ("Player Under Pressure")... happens. All the time. Or at least, the potential is there, but you might be limited by work. (I hope I've been sufficiently vague... and that other parents here, like Steph, can laugh and agree.)

So, basically, them showing more of that would be accurate to Angela's pregnancy. :wink:

My question for TJ actually stems from this episode, so I'll wait to hear what he has to say during the chat in a few weeks.

That being said - I admit that I like Hannah. I'm not crazy about B&B, and I'll say that I wouldn't have thought of it if the writers hadn't stuck tension in every. single. episode.

Sweets needs to reattach the glue and cat fur... I mean, facial hair. It was dashing. Clean-shaven, he looks about sixteen, which I'm sure is part of the continuing joke. Maybe Daisy should tell him to keep it. If he and Daisy don't stay together, I'd love to see a reappearance of Tattoo Girl from "The Gamer in the Grease." Just for fun.

Clark was hysterical in the ranting scene. The drama about the sneezing was overdone, but I think only Clark could have pulled it off and remained in-character. That being said - I am not a fan of Clark's character.

Daddy Hodgins has made me squee a bit more than I should have, I admit. And I'm curious to see if Angela will be revoking her LOOK DON'T TOUCH policy now that she's pregnant. She seemed irritated/amused at Hodgins' obvious reaction to Hannah. (Pregnancy hormones... oh, the good old days...)

Applause to Michaela for NAILING Angela, by the way. Whatever she's channeling for this part of Angela's character, it's working.
word count: 404
Elle
law-geek mom to Pirate ('07)
Red Sox Nation

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

(I hope I've been sufficiently vague... and that other parents here, like Steph, can laugh and agree.)

I loved being pregnant. :dance:

So, basically, them showing more of that would be accurate to Angela's pregnancy. :wink:
Especially with these two! There are so many fun moments they can have with them this season--I just hope they give them the screen time.
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I loved being pregnant too. I didn't have sickness. Never felt so healthy or looked so good. My hair was amazing.
word count: 22

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I've never been pregnant, but I'm pretty sure I get what you're saying. ;)
word count: 16

AmyLynn
Fan

Post by AmyLynn »

I actually didn't mind this episode, though I have to say I didn't really pick up on the ranger thing.
jade.stormcloud wrote: I also find it weird the way everyone's just decided to talk openly about it. When did that happen? Was there some agreement that when they all came back, people were suddenly going to be blunt about B&B, & pretend that it's always been in the open & not just something where everyone's shooting each other weird looks & pretending to denial & obliviousness?
My take on that is because before both Booth and Brennan were in denial about their feelings with each other so the team tip toed around them with it, but once Booth opened up and admitted his feelings it was like it gave them the 'green light' to talk about it. Just my take on it. It doesn't really bother me.

Hannah...I'm still undecieded about. The character herself is somewhat easy to like. At the same time if you get invested in her character and they finally ever do put Booth and Brennan together, you know chances are she's the one that's going to get hurt, then you have to feel bad for her, cause no matter what eventually, Booth is more to Brennan than just her close partner, and that relationship has to be experimented with by the writers. I don't like the fact that someone is constantly being emotionally hurt. Booth because of his unrequainted feelings for Brennan...Brennan because of her incapability of feeling and now I think being forced to feel...before that it was the Hodgins loving Angela...why can't everyone be in a happy place for at least a few episodes?
Oh well. I have a felling that this season is going to be a mix of hits and misses for the writers of Bones.
word count: 317

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

@ Steph - Didn't get the George Clooney reference when we talked on the chat box about my boss. But now I know what you meant. Btw., I don't think the guy on the picture in this episode looked like George Clooney.

Well, that's all I have to say about this ep. It's been a while since I saw it.
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

English Al
Fan

Post by English Al »

A better episode but I didn't like the whole George Clooney thing. Now if he was going to make a cameo as himself that would have worked.

Sadly it was pretty obvious what happened. They made too much of the park ranger (where was Yogi?) losing someone.

Thinking about the pregnancy I was never sick during them either, but then my wife carried the kids :D
word count: 66

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi everyone

Ok now I'm freaking out because I came at this season convinced that I'd hate it and I read the reviews here and elsewhere which were not that positive, but, I'm really liking it.

I guessed the culprit straight away, didn't know why, but knew it was him. That didn't matter though I still liked the story.

Hannah is very cool and I actually think that her and Brennan would get on well in different circumstances. I thought it was really emotional when Brennan found out how Booth and Hannah met 'cos I think she felt that she had that saving each other bond with Booth and she looked sad when she knew that Hannah did too; it was interesting the way Booth tried to play it down .

I liked the fact that everyone was finally open about the B&B thing; I thought Clark saying what he did was quite amusing and I don't know why but it didn't really come across as that ooc to me.

I loved Hodgins being all smitten with Hannah and the fact that she was the one person who hadn't totally dissed his conspiracy theories. I like that dynamic with Hodgins and Angela, him being doe eyed about someone and her just with the roll your eyes attitude 'cos she knows its her he loves.

I obviously have a very strange sense of humour 'cos I thought the George Clooney thing was really funny and I seriously cried laughing at the sneezing scene, it just tickled me.

So far this season I haven't really felt the sledgehammer thing with Booth and Brennan I think because now its out in the open and it just feels natural that it would be spoken about. I find it interesting that Booth obviously hasn't told Hannah about his real feelings for Brennan and I'm guessing that won't go down well when it comes out which it probably will.

Finally I liked the ending, well liked may be the wrong word, I thought it was effective and I do not for one minute think that Brennan is happy at all with Booth's relationship but I do think that she has managed to convince herself that she is.

Anyway I reckon that's all for now, roll on next epi.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 401

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Okay, I've rewatched this episode (I think I saw the first five or six episodes of the season and then everything else will be completely new to me), but I don't have much of a change in attitude about the overall episode. Everything I said on page one of this thread, I still hold fast and firm to. And I still agree with Jade. :D

But I did jot down a few more comments during my rewatch:

Hodgins - not smooth with the comments about future (pregnant) Angela becoming as big as the Hindenburg. Word of advice? Don't ever do that. (However, Tj was adorable saying "More to love!")

Kudos to the F/X people, once again. Those bodies were DISGUSTING! (Bet Hodgins had fun dealing with the maggots, though. What am I saying?!? GROSSSSSS! LOL.)

I hate to harp on this, but… what IS the purpose of Sweets on this show? Is he working for the FBI? The Jeffersonian? Is he still supposed to be evaluating Booth and Brennan? (If not, what business is it of his who Booth dates?) It drives me nuts how random he is within episodes. Drives. Me. Nuts. And I think it's incredibly unprofessional of him to keep harping to Booth about the Booth-Brennan relationship. It's not his business. Sweets is so darn nosy. They work together, they're not really friends, so… what the hell is doing butting in like that all the time.

Plus, I still contend he's not needed out in the field as an assessor of whether or not someone's telling the truth. It troubles me whenever they have Booth ask him that kind of question -- it has long been established that (of the two lead characters Booth and Brennan) Booth is the one who is good at reading people, going with his gut, telling whether or not someone is lying. It annoys me when they give that task to Sweets now, and act like Booth is no longer capable of it. Like he's just the brawn to everyone else's brains. Booth *does* have capabilities of his own. *grumbles*

I'm still laughing at Tj's comic timing when Angela catches him looking at Hannah on TV. The way he tries to make it up to her, complimenting her excessively, and she's all "Keep going." So he just lays it on even thicker: "Goddess on high, mother of my unborn child, love of my life…" *GRIN* Funny. Obnoxious, but funny. Tj sells these moments, no matter what.

Even though his starstruck behavior was unbelievably insensitive (given that he's now married and has a child on the way), I do like how he behaved while on the phone with Hannah, talking up conspiracy theories and assumed governmental cover-ups. I like that the writers keep bringing that piece of his personality forward every once in a while. He may have changed and softened his sharpness after dating and marrying Angela, but some pieces of his personality from the early seasons should always stay intact -- his humor, his drive, his brilliance at his work… and his quirkiness. :D

I like that everyone seems to get along with Hannah, that the writers aren't vilifying her or turning her into some piece of a jealous triangle. (So far, anyway.) She seems like a capable and bold woman. In fact, she seems like Brennan (the Brennan I knew and loved before the writers started altering her and treating her like a damsel in distress). So that's interesting. (And of course sad for Brennan. A case of too little, too late? For now, anyway.)

I continue to like the brief little bits and moments we get between Hodgins and Cam. It's not often, but they get these funny little lines together that are so fun. Like how Hodgins joked that Cam could be his assistant (in helping him with the tires), but she turned it around on him, reminding him that she is his boss so he is HER lovely assistant. HA. Love that.

Hodgins: (pondering this) Well, at least I'm lovely.

Indeed you are. ;)

As many of us seem to be saying in this thread, the overall episode leaned so hard on the the Booth-Brennan relationship, even through characters who don't need to have a part in that. I still contend that the writers do this way too often.

However... I did like the ending scene conversation between Booth and Brennan, about the nature of love. Brennan made some believable (for her character) scientific arguments, and Booth's drive about the passion and selflessness of love were just as heartfelt. It's those conversations that make the relationship between the two of them. Such arguments are illuminating character discussions and serve much more purpose in an episode than all those scenes that beat us over the head with the over-the-top, overused, 'You know you two are in love.'

Side note: I'm fascinated by the seeming similarities between Booth and the man who turned out to be the killer. They both were in the military. They both have a ranger title -- Booth was a Ranger, this guy is a park ranger. They both want to protect the people that they love.

The huge difference is that Booth is an honorable man who believes in justice, while the killer was someone who thought he was doing the right thing but in his blind grief and anger went far beyond what is right.

I wonder what it would take to bring Booth to that point, or if he ever could. At any rate, interesting, very interesting.
word count: 946
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh