Bones 3.10 The Man In The Mud

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Bones 3.10 The Man In The Mud

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sides up for the Man In The Mud at livejournal Bones spoilers. Only 3 so far and nothing of interest TJ-wise. There will no doubt be more on the horizon, so I'll keep the eyes peeled and I'm sure you lot will too. :wink:

PS I have heard talk before, I think (though not here), about Bones re-using names from its own or other shows' catalogues. I notice the victim here is a motorcycle racer named Tripp Goddard .... wasn't there a Tripp on that old photo with Hodgins and Terry Bancroft? Interesting.
word count: 96

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

More sides and still no Hodgela action. I've decided, however, that I like Lance Sweet's partner April. She seems to get on very well with Brennan and there is a nice scene where the 2 of them and BB relax over a potter's wheel. So rare that we see main characters relax! When are we going to see Jack and Angela going to the cinema or indulging in creative activity outside the lab? You can't tell me Angela doesn't have some kind of creative hobby to de-stress!
word count: 93

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

... Yeah, when are we going to see Angela's apartment or the mansion and see Jack and Angela living their lives? I know we've been over this before, but it's as if the characters don't have a life outside the lab. By the way, do we think Angela has finally moved in with Jack? Seems like she would by now...
word count: 63
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I'd also love to see another side to Zack. Obviously he's most in his element in the lab at the Jeffersonion, and probably like a 'fish out of water' everywhere else, but I'd still like to see something.

Like his big apartment over Jack's garage. Or what he does when he's not at work. Or hear more about his experiences in Iraq, how it affected him. I know he can be a bit of a robot, but something's gotta make that character crack, and I want to see what it is.
word count: 97

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Agreeing yet again. This is something I've posted all over the place and not just here!! Zach I think needs a girlfriend or some sort of a confidant who understands the way he thinks and talks. He's turning into 2-dimensional comic relief and I don't like it. Actually, April is exactly the type of person I am thinking of (and it doesn't sound like her relationship with Sweets is all that secure, apart from the physical side). If she can get on Brennan's wavelength she could cope with Zach no prob - get him out of himself, find out about Iraq. Eric deserves character development now they've sent him out there. I want to see him in the car with Jack. At the moment you'd imagine Booth and Bren are the only people who ever use motorised transport! And of course Eric can sing. Very well indeed. Could Zach sing??!!
word count: 157

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hell, I don't even need to see Zack get a girlfriend. In fact, one of my little pet peeves with TV shows is the need to show every character hooking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend, as if that's the only way one can find fulfillment. Real life isn't always that way. Some people don't find someone right away. Zack's an unusual guy -- realistically, that potentially makes it difficult for him to find someone with whom he can connect.

Before we jump into the realm of Zack dating, I'd love to see him connect on a more emotional level with one of his colleagues. Jack's the one he spends the most time with outside of work, I'd wager, at least considering the car rides and the fact that they're living on the same property. It would be great to see him confide in Jack (especially considering he already kind of insulted Jack and/or hurt his feelings by refusing to be his best man; therefore, I think Jack needs a little something from him in order to feel like they're actual friends). Or confide in Booth, given the Iraq topic and that obvious way in which they might be able to finally understand or bond with each other after all this time. And of course Brennan is the one who seems to truly 'get' and appreciate Zack, so it would be lovely to continue that relationship by having her listen to him at a time when he really needs to express something.

I get that he's robotic, I get that he's an odd bird, I get that he's a genius. Now I need a little crack in that metal exterior. I need to see the man show some emotion. It's in there somewhere. What will it take to bring it out?

(And yes, I think hearing him sing in some capacity would be lovely. If they'd break down and show him outside of work for a moment, they could even write it in as simply as briefly hearing him sing in the shower.)
word count: 358

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sinkwriter72 wrote: one of my little pet peeves with TV shows is the need to show every character hooking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend, as if that's the only way one can find fulfillment. Real life isn't always that way.
Extremely perceptive point! :D I absolutely accept that. I certainly wasn't thinking Zach should find a kindred spirit just to echo a tired TV cliché. OK, maybe not a g/f, but a connection. I was thinking of one outside his immediate lab circle because it might get him out into the big wide world a bit, but you're right - both Jack and Booth now have interesting connections with Zach which are crying out to be worked through. The best man affair has made Jack think a bit more about Zach instead of taking their easy quipping relationship for granted, and Booth has gained vastly in respect for him. I don't think he would approach Bren on an emotional level at the moment, though. Simply because both of them have trouble talking about anything too personal. But who knows?
word count: 184

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Bones 3.11 The Man In The Mud

Post by begolden »

Posting during a commercial break. So far, just a scene of Hodgins sifting happily through mud in the lab. Some of our east coast friends must have seen the episode by now--no spoilers?
word count: 34

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Just finished watching the episode. Some fun King-of-the-lab talk between Hodgins and Zack. Instead of being competitive about their roles in solving the crime, they worked very well as a team. Sadly, very little Jack and Angela interaction, although we got to see a pretty generous slice of Sweet's personal life.

Interesting note: The scenes for next week's Player Under Pressure seemed to be the same scenes shown originally--Jack with longer hair and beard. Perhaps they refilmed but didn't bother refilming the preview.
word count: 90

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Thank goodness for the free TV Guide, otherwise I wouldn't have known that Bones was back! I've become a very, very bad fan, I know. But with the proposed date change, and then all the confusion over when it was returning (first April, then May, then back to April) ... who can blame me?

I did catch the episode, though I had to tape it and watch later. Lots of thoughts ran through my head during the viewing, and I have to say I was satisfied with the episode. I could feel my frustration begin to build with all of the Sweets/Brennan/Booth scenes, and then the mention of pottery class ... but it was actually a cute scene, and I kind of enjoyed it. And though Sweets remains my most least favourite character, I did sort of feel sorry for him at the end of the episode. Poor guy. Though I'm beginning to think that he and Brennan should maybe hook up...

Not much Jack/Angela at all ... but I caught some cute looks in the scenes they shared. Michaela was looking amazing, as was Tamara with the little high-collar thing they had her wearing. And TJ ... great, as always. I see that we're getting a bit of an overgrowth of stubble, and I'm wondering if he's heading back to The Full Beard. Anyone know?

Definitely loved all of the scenes with Zack and Jack ... competing for King of the Lab, and then sharing the title. And also, Jack's calling Brennan and Booth and demanding they thank him and give him credit (which he DID deserve!). That was a really cute moment.

The plot itself was ... just okay. For the first part of the episode I could have sworn I had already seen this plot before ... and it's very similar to an episode of Ghost Whisperer, revolving around sisters/girlfriends and racing related deaths. Though Bones had fewer ghosts!

What did the rest of you think??
word count: 335
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Well, obviously I don't know yet! Someone out there give me plot details, I need more than enticing chunks!
(welcome back Kimber, terrific to see you, we have missed you no end!)
word count: 33
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Hey Kimber! Missed ya! How is everything in your part of the world?

Sorry Steph, there really isn't much else to tell (at least from my perspective). I live only for the TJ scenes, and between Kimber and I we've told all there is to tell. Everything else is in the nuances of TJ's acting, which you'll have to see for yourself. It was really the Bones/Booth/Sweets show the other night. Let's hope next week's PUP keeps some Jack and Angela moments intact, or at least replaces them with comparable scenes.
word count: 99

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Fingers crossed.
Yes, I've seen it now - the ever-reliable sidereel.com had a selection of sources, one of which worked for me. You're right, BBSweets all the way (loved April, she was so quirky and sweet, Lance doesn't deserve her, definitely duck egg with cobalt there...Is 'Lance Sweets' a name or an instruction btw?). TJ and Eric made what they could of their bits, which meant some very well acted but tiny scenes, and we barely saw Angela. Talk about under-used! Oh but it is nice just to see and listen to TJ again. I've really missed him!
word count: 105
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Hi ladies! Thanks for the warm welcome back ... things have been busy in this end of the world, and I've been spending more time outdoors and not online. Now that Bones is back (at least for a short while), I'll try and be back here routinely!

This was definitely a big BBSweets ep ... and not much Angela at ALL! Sad. Good Zack/Jack bits, and you're right, Rebecca, TJ made all of this scenes amazing with his acting! It's just mesmerizing to watch and listen to him when he speaks :)

Glad you were able to see it, Steph ... Sweets' (ex) girlfriend was adorable, and I liked her a lot, too. She was quirky, but completely opposite of what Sweets seems to be.

Did anyone else notice the extra beard growth on Jack? I wondered if maybe they're leading up to the scenes in PUP next week, where I assume TJ will have a full beard again (unless they've redone ALL of his scenes). Still sad that we are going to be denied the adorable Jack/Angela moments proposal wise, but maybe we will get something new in place (and not more BB moments??).
word count: 199
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Did any of you feel that a bit of the old Jack Hodgins was back in this episode? I felt it in the scene when Zack was irritating him. I thought we saw a bit more of his edge returning. Personally I liked it! :D

(I'll have to rewatch it to find and tell you the exact lines or moments I'm thinking of, because I just finished watching tonight's new episode Player Under Pressure so my mind is filled with those scenes instead. I'll get back to you.)

In general, I thought the Jack and Zack scenes were funny and fun. And though I still think that Sweets is taking too much time away from our original cast, I actually liked him in this episode. But it may have been because I loved the pottery scene. Booth and Brennan throwing clay at each other (hee), Booth and the horse he made (impressive!), and Booth in that bandana (hot, yet unusual, to see him out of his suit and tie)... all good stuff.

See, that was natural and playful and sexy, those scenes with Booth and Brennan. Way better than a kiss orchestrated by a character who'd never care to do such a thing. I liked this so much better. Subtle and fun. That's my thinking, anyway.
word count: 221