Bones 6:20 The Pinocchio in the Planter

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
llamalah
Fan

Bones 6:20 The Pinocchio in the Planter

Post by llamalah »

I really liked this episode.

Wendell is my favourite intern, he seems to have better relationships with the others and reminds me a bit of Zach in that regard (without the awkwardness).
I like that he and Hodgins have worked through the Angela mess and remained good friends... though I did have a giggle at the death plan comment.

Everyone seemed to be in it a lot more.. or more equally.. which totally makes up for last week. Nice to see you back Sweets!

Random observation:
- At the diner everyone was eating berries.. or in Sweets case he was 'eating' a muffin - that had not bites out of it.. in any case... No Fries? sad.

Booth's honesty about his underwear was fun. Im glad the clown really was a crook! heehee.

erm.. my brain is fried to comment further as I havent had coffee yet this morning but I wanted to get this discussion under way!

Llama
word count: 158

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Bones 6:20 The Pinocchio in the Planter

Post by skftex »

I liked this episode too. I'm not fond of Wendell because no one will ever convince me that he isn't a horrible friend...but that is subject for another time. I LOVED the whole thing about plotting his murder.

I did think it was mean of Angela to put Hodgins call to voicemail but I like the way they resolved the whole thing, and Hodgins saying he hated the painting was wonderful. It was nice to see him take charge a bit. I do understand Angela needing to not think it is all good and happy all the time, because she is worried. I do see a bit of TJ in that smile all the time attitude so I loved that he said in the chat that Hodgins is TJ.

Something else that made me laugh, the comment Brennan makes at the end of it, about "That is one less clown out on the streets" I'm not afraid of clowns but still, that was funny!!!

Can't think of anything else right now. :)

word count: 176
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

TNPrincess14
Fan

Post by TNPrincess14 »

I pretty much agree with both of you in general regarding the episode as a whole.

Regarding Wendell, I do like him and the chemistry he has with the other characters but I am pretty sure I know why you think he is a bad friend and if I'm guessing right then it is a very valid point.

I was kind of bummed with Booth's confession of a lie that he had previously told to Brennan. I had a feeling when he promised to tell her something that it would not be anything really significant. I don't really know how to explain but the final scene (aside from the "one less clown" line) just left me feeling "eh" for lack of a better word.

I liked that Hodgins told Angela that he hated her painting although I personally liked it alot!! For a TV couple, they are pretty "real" people and the issues they are having are just like any other couple. Their honest conversation was a good example of how to speak and react to each other with respect in order to reach resolution rather than letting things build and become worse.

Oh, and did anyone else catch the name or the scent of the lotion Cam was wearing? Not important to the overall plot at all but was just wondering if they said what it was and I missed it. Need to make sure it's not the lotion I wear!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
word count: 246
Jenny
"God is a little formal. Hodgins will do." - Dr. Jack Hodgins

llamalah
Fan

Post by llamalah »

Sharon - I understand and agree with that Wendell was a bad friend... but at least he was honest about what was going on. Plus Hodgins won! :-D

TNPrincess14 - I don't think they did say what lotion cam was wearing. Just that it wasnt perfume.
word count: 44

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I don't really have a lot to say about this episode.
Booth's "lie" turned out to be rather anti-climactic. It wasn't even really a lie at all. I thought it would be more about his feelings for her, or something interesting, anyway. Then, it just turned out that he "lied" by not telling her that he appreciated her being there when he was going through his rough break up. That's not a lie. That's not even a lie by omission. That's maybe taking someone for granted, at worst.

Other than that, the only things that stand out for me in this ep were the worms (EWWWWWWWWW) & the car ad (look, it parks itself!). Seriously? We can't park our own cars?

In re the "Wendell is a bad friend" thing: If y'all are talking about Wendell dating Angela, I don't agree that it makes him a bad friend. Hodgins & Angela had been broken up for over a year, & Wendell hadn't even known the two of them when they were together. Also, it wasn't as if Wendell went out of his way to intentionally pursue Angela. He merely reciprocated her attractions when she approached him. As was pointed out already, Wendell did go out of his way to confront Hodgins with the knowledge, & I'm fairly certain that if Hodgins had just been completely unable to handle it, that Wendell would have backed out of the relationship.

However, I can't say that I didn't find Angela entirely lacking in couth when she hooked up with Wendell. The suddenness, the lack of consideration, not only for Hodgins' feelings, but for the possible impact on the working environment, seemed entirely out of character given her initial hesitations about dating Hodgins back in season 2.

Finally, I know most of y'all will disagree with me on this, but I'd actually say that I found more fault with Hodgins' actions than Wendell's during this affair. While his anger & jealousy were only to be expected, I found his "I'm your guy" speech to Angela during her false pregnancy to be in incredibly poor taste. Offering to move in with, or marry, your best friend's current girlfriend seems a little bit more in lines with "bad friendship" than just going out with someone's ex. I really thought it was out of line for him to say that while she was still with Wendell (& supposedly pregnant with Wendell's kid). I know I may be alone in my feelings on that, though. Even the Boothers seem to melt over the "I'm your guy" speech. :P lol
word count: 447
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Well I do think Angela was wrong too, but she wasn't worried about Hodgins feelings ever really so that didn't surprise me. But Wendell was portrayed as Hodgins friend, and he KNEW that Hodgins wasn't over Angela. It doesn't matter if he knew them when they were together or not. Friends don't do that to friends. But then, the world we live in excuses people going out with married men or women because "you can't help who you fall in love with" (that isn't from Bones but it definitely describes the idea of current society). Thing is, you CAN help what you do about it. And Wendell could help it (well other than the fact that it was written that way of course HAHAHAHA). He knew, he didn't care about Hodgins, he cared about himself. End of story. Even when he told Hodgins he was kind of who cares what you think about it, I'm telling you so I can look like a good guy and Angela wants it. Whatever dude. Lousy friend.

Hodgins was wrong with the I'm your guy thing too, even though Wendell is a louse, he didn't need to try to swoop in because they had troubles. I have to admit, I loved him saying it, but it still wasn't appropriate. Anyway, as I said, no one will ever convince me Wendell is a good friend. And I'm thankful I've never had a friend like him! LOL

Sharon
word count: 256
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Yeah, I have to agree everyone was at fault with that whole triangle...

But...If I were to get inside Hodgins' brain I'd say he was thinking that he'd better step in and let her know how he felt before Angela did something stupid or something she would regret--let her know there was another option, not necessarily wanting to steal her from Wendell. I know he did want her back, but I don't think that was the only reason he said it.

I just loved the speech because I want someone to say that to ME. :romance-inlove:

----

And very cool that TJ confirmed Hodgins pretty much=TJ. Like Sharon, I've noticed it too. He doesn't seem to be that different in interviews than he is from the show.

As for THIS episode:

Agree with everything Sharon said about Angela/Hodgins in this one. I enjoyed it overall, lots of funny moments, especially with the clown and Hodgins plotting Wendell's death. Booth and Brennan didn't seem as awkward as they have been and I'm actually enjoying their relationship again.
word count: 186
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Whoo, another one about being upfront and honest and seeking truth, what on earth are they working towards? ;) Well, tell you what; not an admission of love if Booth still won't admit to Brennan that he was lying when he said he'd moved on!

I would have liked to have seen more examples of the 'honesty' policy. OK we know that everyone disliked this guy because he was so abrasive about telling exactly what was on his mind instead of respecting the codes that govern human interaction and oil the wheels of society; but I could have done with hearing more about what he actually said! And I did think it was a little bit naive and puppyish of Wendell to pick up that ball and run with it even though he knew what trouble the victim had had with it! :lol: Cam's reactions were perfect though, hilarious.

Of course my main focus was Hodgins and Angela, partly because well, duh, and partly because their relationship is (surprise) seemingly being developed and becoming interesting. It is a bit annoying to see how much Angela is still in control, and capable of being mean, but also encouraging that Hodgins is learning how she thinks and adjusting his behaviour accordingly. As some of you say - his thoughts about the painting certainly surprised Angela and were a statement of intent not to be bullied! Couples should learn from each other, and little spats are part of that. Facing up to pain is part of it too, though I personally don't think Hodgins has been as relentlessly optimistic as Angela is making out - well, not onscreen, anyway.

Wendell? Really don't care, never particularly liked him anyway (sorry peeps whose favourite he is!). I think he's bland and undefined as a character and I never thought he would have had the stones to respond to Angela’s come-ons, so I didn’t really believe in their fling. But they were both inconsiderate of Hodgins. They could at least have kept their professional lives separate instead of parading in front of him.

Oh yeah and the clown, what was that about? Apart from reminding us a) of Booth's phobia and b) that unpleasantness and misery can indeed lurk behind a false smile, he did seem slightly out of place..
word count: 390
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Steph, Wendell was never one of my favorites either, I didn't care one way or the other about him. I didn't mind when he was on the show, until the Angela thing, now I think he's a horrible character and I don't want to see him. LOL
word count: 51

~*Ali*~
Super Fan

Post by ~*Ali*~ »

Ok so here we have a bones ep with no added extras ie The Finder lol
And were also back to our normal ep where we find out the Toyota Prius can park it’s self. lol

I liked this ep however why is it alway Hodgins with the problem? It’s never Angela being the one thats annoying.

This whole truth seeking is good in some ways and I also agree with Steph “What are they leading up to?”
It was great to see more of Cam as well. It was well balanced and that the kind on ep I enjoy the most.

My face intern is Mr Vincent Nigel Murray. But of cause I’d much prefer Zach even thou he’s not an intern anymore.

Ali :banana-fingers:
word count: 129

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

~*Ali*~ wrote:My face intern is Mr Vincent Nigel Murray. But of cause I’d much prefer Zach even thou he’s not an intern anymore.
I hear you!
word count: 29
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro