Bones 6.23 The Change in the Game

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
delphiekat
Super Fan

Bones 6.23 The Change in the Game

Post by delphiekat »

Sharon, I guess you're a psychic after all :) Or you know the show too well :D

Good episode, but come on, don't call that "the biggest bombshell in Bones history"!!! I mean, Castle season finale was what I call a bombshell (although it did remind me of a certain Bones ep), but here, we've seen it coming for the whole episode...

I loved the continuity - Buck and Wanda :) I didn't see it as a lack of originality, but more as a way to make sure Bones remembered their aliases... And it was cute how they were eager to play "girlfriend-boyfriend" for the underccover... But are we back in the 80's? The hair, for both of them, must be a couple decades old!

Hodgins face with the hot sauce was priceless. Actually, Hodgins has pretty much been fantastic for the whole episode, as usual :D

The scene just before they had the baby was so romantic, and I couldn't agree more with Angie about Hodgins beautiful voice - wasn't it you Vero who told him in a previous chat? Michael Staccato Vincent Hodgins, a nice gesture for a lost friend (and the baby was wearing the funny hat!).

And as I've said before, I thought the ending was very predictable, the way Bones has been talking about "their" child wouldn't be like this, "their" child wouldn't be like that, all episode. Also, knowing that ED is pregnant helps :) I loved Booth's reaction though, just like in "The End in the Beginning" although I would have loved to see a bit more, a hug or something. But on another hand, it's hard to change a behavious that has lasted for over 6 years, and it was in character for them...

So overall, I really liked the season finale, but I'm sure some will not agree :D

See you next season, Hodgins, Angela and Michael, Bones, Booth and cute little baby, Cam, Sweets, and all the surviving squinterns...
word count: 335

Kelly
Fan

Re: Bones 6.23 The Change in the Game

Post by Kelly »

OMG! Welcome Michael Staccato Vincent Hodgins! You are so blessed to have such amazing parents! Congratulations goes out to Booth and Brennan, too, but tonight was all about Angela and Hodgins's great news.

I'll be the third person to say that I liked this episode. At first I got angry about that brat of a birthday boy. Ugh! I just hate kids who act that way! It makes me want to slap them across the face! I'm glad seeing the body parts coming down with the pins scared him out of his wits. He deserved it! The girl got on my nerves, too and I'm glad how Booth handled it. One can really tell he's a father.

The parts in the episode that I liked were Wendell and Hodgins being together checking out the skull. I didn't know that someone could die from a broken nose. The way Hodgins reacted each time Angela came into the room was great. Do all fathers-to-be act like that? I also liked his reaction to the hot sauce. Angela was fine with it, but he wasn't. That's like me and my best friend. She's fine with hot stuff but I'm not.

Booth's enthusiasm about going undercover with Brennan was shocking, but nice to see. Brennan was pretty hyped about it too. Her dad being suspicious of something going on between them wasn't a surprise, though. I wondered when he'd get a clue. I mean, the two psychiatrists figured it out really quick. Why couldn't dear old dad? Anyway, Buck and Wanda were great. I liked the last time B&B went undercover and I was glad to see it again.

The twists and turns of the case kept my interest and sometimes that doesn't happen. Sometimes I can leave the room and get busy doing something else and then come back to the show after I hear that a commercial had ended. It would seem that I hadn't missed a beat of the story. Angela and Hodgins helping Wendell while they were in the hospital was funny! I actually laughed at the scenes where Angela was coaching Wendall on what to look for and what to do with the equipment.

So, this was the season finale, huh? What should expect next Thursday? Reruns of the season that I missed? Is that how television works after season finales?
word count: 411

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I agree, their hair was horrible! Completely unrealistic. The "Buck & Wanda" thing was a nice nod back to the circus ep, & Brennan's comment about how she's almost his fiancee reminded me of the Vegas ep - "We're more engaged to be engaged."

I was surprised that nobody jumped straight to bowling-themed murder weapons when they were going down the list. The first thing I thought to look for was a bowling ball or pin. True, it wasn't one of those things, but still, given where he died, it seems like it's a good place to start. :P

I have to say right now that I LOVE HODGINS! TJ was great in this episode. Still a lot of the goofy comic relief, but also some nice counterpoints with the moment of (brief) calm right after her water broke, & then the seriousness in the final birthing scenes. Just wonderful overall. And Angela is so right about Hodgins' (TJ's) voice - "like hot tea & honey." I love just listening to him speak.

I didn't understand why Brennan waited so long to go to the hospital. She made a big deal about how if Angela went into labor, she'd have to leave, but then she stayed til the end anyway.

I was sort of expecting the baby to be ok, but it's still a relief to find out for sure. :) I like the name & loved the little hat! So cute. How awesome of a dad is Hodgins going to be?

-A couple lines that I found amusing:
"I have a family. Well, sorta. The woman that I see sometimes, her kid seems to like me."

-"This is like watching Michelle do her homework."

A couple lines that I found annoying:

-"solving a baby" ??? I know the lady was trying to contrast that they were supposed to be focusing on the birth, but still, it just didn't work for me.

-"Buck's on the truck." Seriously? That whole bit. Ick.

It seemed pretty obvious what Brennan was going to say at the end. I kept waiting for Booth to get a clue. His expression was a nice parallel to "The End in the Beginning" & I suppose we can stop looking for hidden clues now, because I think that's all of them. :D BTW, Emily's belly was painfully obvious in some of the scenes.

And so now we know for sure that B&B hooked up. It doesn't even feel like much of a cliffhanger this season. It was more like everything was tied up. If they're not officially a couple now, I don't know what could possibly bring them closer together. It'll be interesting to see how they run with it next season, although I can't say I'm looking forward to the idea of infants & toddlers taking over the show. :roll:
word count: 480
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

losersaxplayer
Fan

Post by losersaxplayer »

DUDE. My jaw dropped farther than the end of the Mentalist.

Totally loved the whole thing! Hodgins and his keys.
word count: 20
"Never, Never, Never Quit" - Winston Churchill

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Can't believe that season 6 has come to an end :cry:

Already going through withdrawls :D thank god for the DVD's..

THis is going to be short because I have a lot of thoughts especially about the bowling theme (will try not to be all technical - as you all know I've bowled in my sparetime in a league).

For now I just want to say that I agree with Kat about the bombshell, this didn't feel like it (Castle's season finale did feel like it though). Although I was relieved to know the baby was alright and that we finally got confirmation that B&B did get together and that she now is pregnant.

Gonna watch it again later, need to clean the appartment - my family is comming by in a few hours.. will be back later and go into more details and get a bit technical from the POV as a former bowler.. :think:
word count: 157

~*Ali*~
Super Fan

Post by ~*Ali*~ »

Awwwww, so much floating around in my head. I’ll need to catch up a bit. One question. Did they or did she use Booths little friends?

TJ and Michaela where wonderful. Oh and I had a feeling they’d add Vincent's name in there. It’s a lovely guesture.

:D
word count: 51

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

This is gonna be a lot shorter than my usual reviews, simply because I don't have much to say.

I neither liked nor disliked the episode. Yes, the Hodgela baby stuff was cute, the baby even cuter.

With Emily's pregnancy I can't say I was totally surprised by the ending, however I truly did NOT like how it was set up. I mean, I don't want a soap opera, but not even giving the fans a simple kiss after 6 seasons?
How will this go on? We will see them work as always and then at the end of the episode they say "Ok, let's go home?" because the writers feel everything else would be too saccharine?
And this critique is coming from me, who still thinks that Hodgins and Angela are so sappy at times they might be ripped out of a Nora Roberts novel.

So I don't care for what happened, but I didn't like the way it did happen.

Oh and I wonder why Cam gets less screen time for the last episodes than any of the intern. I spent half the episode waiting for a gimpse of her . Then there are two short scenes with her on the phone and that's it. Together with Tamara's absence at the Paley center that worries me a bit.

And besides HH efforts to not change the dynamic of the show, I think thatif more and more babies keep popping up we might soon be watching "Parenthood" or "7th Heaven" Bones-style.
word count: 261
HODGINS: Well, hello, my exotic princess.
CAM: What a charmingly inappropriate greeting, Dr. Hodgins.

TNPrincess14
Fan

Post by TNPrincess14 »

Overall I think I loved the Season 6 Finale - there were huge positives and negatives but the positives outweigh the negatives.

I was raised in bowling alleys so I found the over exaggeration of the bowling personality sterotypes to be both insulting and endearing. This was definitely an episode where I had to keep myself from correcting every mistake they made pertaining to both rules and etiquette of bowling. At the same time, it was hilarious to see glimpses of people I know in the charaters in the bowling alley! I LOVED Booth yelling at the "horrible child"!!

As far as solving the murder, really, the lab was out-of-character. These absolutely brilliant scientists did not immediately rule out bowling related weapons?? SERIOUSLY?!?!? And Cam's three whole lines (give or take) in the FINALE?? Her entire staff was out of the lab and she was just there for Wendell to have someone to talk to?? The vibe there seemed really off to me but I also understand that what was happening at the lab was not the point of the episode.

The labor and delivery was very realistic and reminded me of my first child's birth. There was panic and fear and grouchiness all around, but at the same time there were those moments of unnatural calm and love. Major bigger than big time kudos to Michaela and TJ for their performances!!!! I agree with everyone else about the name - it is appropriate and beautiful.

My reaction to the Booth and Bones personal story line is confusing even for me. We have all been waiting for six years to see the relationship finally happen and now that it is apparently happening, we are not getting to see it. On the flip side of that, one of the greatest things about the cast of Bones is that each of the ensemble lead actors is so talented that they can tell you more with a small look than with twenty lines of dialogue. Brennan was excited to go undercover, but there was a suble "even more lit up" look to Booth telling her "you can be my girlfriend". Acting like a couple while undercover seemed to be more of a chance for them to be a couple in public like they have been in private. The way they looked at each other and especially showed affection when told to by Brennan's father tells us that they have reached the point we all wanted them to be at in their relationship. For me that point is both of them feeling the same thing at the same time and accepting it.

Unlike some others reviews that I have read online today, I did NOT pick up on the fact that she was pregnant until the final conversation. I thought their comments regarding what "their" children would be like was just a way to show that they both now acknowledge being together and having a family was inevitable and accepted. I felt really, really dumb for missing that Bones was pregnant - when I re-watched the episode it was kinda obvious that the plot was being set up for that revelation.

When all was said and done last night my daughter, Cassie, turned to me and in her more drama queen way said, "Oh My Gosh, Mommy, I can NOT wait until next week to see what happens!!" That was when it hit me that we have to wait FOUR FREAKING MONTHS for the next new episode - I explained this to her and we pouted together!!
word count: 595
Jenny
"God is a little formal. Hodgins will do." - Dr. Jack Hodgins

TNPrincess14
Fan

Post by TNPrincess14 »

hanneDK wrote:Can't believe that season 6 has come to an end :cry:

THis is going to be short because I have a lot of thoughts especially about the bowling theme (will try not to be all technical - as you all know I've bowled in my sparetime in a league).

:think:
:lol: :lol: :lol: hahahahahaha!!!!! you said "spare" time :lol: :lol: :lol:
word count: 56
Jenny
"God is a little formal. Hodgins will do." - Dr. Jack Hodgins

AmyLynn
Fan

Post by AmyLynn »

All right. First off, what a beautiful baby!!! I loved the shot of him as he's looking up at Angela and I swear he was smiling at her!!! The name: I fully expected Vincent to be used though I was hoping they would go Zachary Vincent. I know they had already said Michael Joseph, but I was hoping. I'm not crazy about the staccato though especially when you take into consideration the meaning of the word...lol

The episode itself wasn't one of my favorites. It seemed rather uneventful where the murder story plot was considered. I did get a kick out of B&B and their undercover characters though. I did like seeing how Angela's absence in the lab effected them as a team. It goes to show they are all important to the team. One question though...When did they change the name from 'The Angelator' to the 'Angelatron'? I'm thinking I missed something some where.

I am dissapointed in not seeing a little relationship stuff going on between B&B. I agree we've waited so long to see them together I feel a little cheated about not getting to experience a true kiss or something.

No shock with the Brennan pregnancy. I am just glad they are writing Emily's pregnancy into the show. I hate it when they try to cover up an actresses pregnancy.

I feel the Hole in the heart would have made a better season finale, but as long as they don't come back next season and make it all a 'dream' or something stupid like that, (Angela's comment when asked by Brennan what was it like and she replied a dream scared me...) I guess I'm happy. After all Brennan and Booth are (hopefully) finally together and Angela and Jack have a healthy little boy.

I do hope that Tamara let's her hair grow back out over the hiatus. I loved Emily's new style, but just can't get myself to like hers.

And as always every person on that cast did a marvelous job. Proud to be a Bones fan!!!!
word count: 360

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

@AmyLynn: The Angelator was the 3D holographic box that they used in the earlier seasons. The Angelatron is the new system she has. I believe it replaced the Angelator at the beginning of Season 5.

Angelator

Angelatron

Last edited by jade.stormcloud on Fri May 20, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 37
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

TNPrincess14 wrote: I was raised in bowling alleys so I found the over exaggeration of the bowling personality sterotypes to be both insulting and endearing.
Me too!! I bowled in the youth/high school leagues and worked in one for almost 8 years. I was sitting there going that's just so stereotypical...but true. :D

A few other things bothered me about the bowling alley: One is that they spent too much time on the random bowling shots...it's like we get it already. Also, it is not "improbable" to get a 7/10 split. I've actually gotten a few in my life. Maybe if several splits were picked up I'd be suspicious, but it's possible! And Booth hardly bowls but has a 280 average? Really? If I were him I'd be a pro bowler instead of FBI agent.

At the beginning I actually thought the skull was going to come out of the ball return. That would have really freaked the kiddies out :P I loved that they revived Buck and Wanda..."There's my muffin at work" :D Lots of funny lines..."You sound like you watch PBS on purpose." "She was raised by wolves until she killed and ate them"

"Chips, flakes, shards, fragments, slivers, chunks, lumps, shavings, snippets; this is what I do." (I think HH just likes to mess with TJ sometimes).

Random yay for a cutie Southland actor on the show (Hercules)!

-Amused by how Max ended up in the wheelchair. Loved how he picked up on B&B's relationship and encouraged them to be more affectionate throughout.

Why is it that even with "pregnancy brain" Angela was the smartest person in this episode? "You're bowling...he was found in a bowling alley." Duh.

All that aside...Michael Sticatto Vicent Hodgins. :clap: Just perfect...I thought TJ and Michaela did a wonderful job with all the L&D scenes. Voice like hot tea & honey, the Adele song, love all of it. I also appreciated that they addressed the issue of the epidural. So many times in TV/movies it seems like it's not an option just to add to the drama, but Angela wanting natural was very true to character. The roller coaster of emotion was pretty realistic too, although I had an epidural and my ex was likely high at the time (yeah I picked a winner) so we were pretty calm.

Okay, so I hoped/sort of predicted that ending and I was initially ticked. I mean we've been waiting SIX YEARS and we don't get to see anything? But after thinking about it and reading HH/SN views on it, I'm okay with it. Now they have to figure out how to be together as a couple and be parents. They've already been "together" for so long, dating would seem kind of silly. Booth's face was priceless at the end too.

So I guess it's obvious I liked it, looking forward to next season.
word count: 504
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

AmyLynn
Fan

Post by AmyLynn »

Thanks AngMT. So the Angelatron is the other thing, huh. You know I'm dissapointed in myself these days. I used to pride myself on picking out the little nuiences in shows or movies, now I miss half of them! Ever scince I had my son my mind works on half power...lol...I think he stole my brain cells!!
word count: 60

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Okay I'm back althought much later than I had planned.. and I still want to keep this review simple :-)

Think I'll start with Hodgins and Angela.. (I don't have kid so I have no idea of what's it's like to be pregnant or in it's final days - what I know comes from my sisterinlaw who's due date is today!!!! )
Although TJ yet again provided us with the comic relief to this episode I found it quite cute when thinking of it's relations to Angela's pregnancy.. Him having his fries with hot sauce and almost choked.. Must say he was highly jumpy everytime Angela stopped by to see what he and Wendell were doing, thinking that she had gone in to labour.. And then when she finally goes into labour he doesn't realize a change in her voice untill she begins shouting at him and his reaction to it, acting extremely claming LOL. TJ must have talked to his parents on how they reacted when it was time - well they have been through it couple of times - so he had a lot of experience to pick from to use. ;-) Loved him in this episode!
Jade.Stormcloud: And Angela is so right about Hodgins' (TJ's) voice - "like hot tea & honey." I love just listening to him speak.
Couldn't be more right about that!

Michaela did a wonderful job on making us believe that she was going through labour, well she had me convinced. Loved her yelling at Hodgins - was in some why expecting her shout at him, that he was never to touch her ever again but she never did. If she did, I must have missed it.
Both Michaela and TJ did it amazingly good - they work so good together, they make me believe in their relationship they play.
Michael Staccato Vincent HOdgins - adorable name and a really cute kid, and them honoring Vincent it was perfect.
Okay guys, was it just me or did your ovaries also jump a bit when Hodgins emerged with his son on his arm! Damn!!!

As for Booth and Bones, something was going on with them, the way they were acting between them was a lot different than they used to.. Don't think I've ever seen Bones been so eager to go undercover and she was the one to suggest it - didn't see that comming, even Booth was fond of the idea of them doing it..
And Max noticed something was way off with Bones eagerness - he saw the change and that there was something with them. Liked that he gave them a small nudge in the bowling alley - that they should show some affections.

Must get this off my chest - the hair and clothes OMG! I agree with who ever said it: the hair and clothes was so 80's!

Okay guys, can't hold it back any longer.. must..comment..on..the..bowling!!!

Like to begin with that there's nothing more worse than having a kid's birthday party right next to you - hate it!
I couldn't agree more with Jenny and Angela on few of their comments.. It is so true and scary that we actually can act like that - some more than others. I also had really trouble to keep my mouth shut during some of the scenes:
1) at the beginning when we saw Booth and BOnes walk directly on the lanes - Because it shouldn't be possible to walk that easy on lanes. And why hadn't they been forced by management to change shoes before walking on the lanes, thank god it's not me that has to clean it! Because the littles dirt can effect how the ball reacts.
2) Booth drinking so close to the approach yet another "no no".. had someone push him and he would have spilled some soda and a player in bowling shoes with no covers had stepped on it, then he or she would have some serious problems on the approach.
quote:
Jenny/TNPrincess14: I was raised in bowling alleys so I found the over exaggeration of the bowling personality sterotypes to be both insulting and endearing. This was definitely an episode where I had to keep myself from correcting every mistake they made pertaining to both rules and etiquette of bowling.

I also had trouble with it.. one of the things I didn't agree on entirely was how we act around the opponant.. we don't yell, give them the look or ridicule them on how they play.. (some might do it) but I would never think of doing anything like that, it would be so wrong. And their and your's concentration would be affected and your game would suffer a great deal.
And you don't accuse eachother of changing the ball's surface or anything like that - that's entirely up to the judge to comment on that if there are grounds for it - to give a warning or suspend the player in question. Another thing we do actually talk to our opponent but in a really kind manner before/during/after a match, we congratulate when difficult setting/line-up has been made. If you're lucky you make good acquaintances - because we see the same people at every tournament there is..
The way the kid reacted that is not that unusual, I've seen people in their 20's acting like that when their game goes bad - don't know who's worse, men or women?! However some are more controlled than others in their way to handle bad games..
Angela/AngMT: Me too!! I bowled in the youth/high school leagues and worked in one for almost 8 years. I was sitting there going that's just so stereotypical...but true.
A few other things bothered me about the bowling alley: One is that they spent too much time on the random bowling shots...it's like we get it already. Also, it is not "improbable" to get a 7/10 split. I've actually gotten a few in my life. Maybe if several splits were picked up I'd be suspicious, but it's possible! And Booth hardly bowls but has a 280 average? Really? If I were him I'd be a pro bowler instead of FBI agent.

If I had an average of 280 I would still play! But it's highly unlikely I would ever get higher than 165 which I am pleased with, eventhough I now stopped playing (some of you know why). Had I been in Booth's place I wouldn't be working as a FBI agent, I would so be on the tour (can't remember the names), I've seen some of the tournaments on tv..
Some of the shot we saw Booth made, some of them should never have given more that 3-4 pins, never a strike - could easily see it from the way he let go of the ball and where/how it landed. As for the 7/10-split (again and I agree with Angela) you can get it - you don't see it that much, although I've never done it but I have managed to get a couple of the more tricky settings by a miracle!

The accident "The Raven" had because of a grudge against him.. that seriously hurt! I've tried to get my fingers stuck in the holes during release and it hurts like hell. For one thing you tend to get a bad setting or a gutterball and you're affected during your next couple of shots.. It's no fun.

To sum up a good episode but I don't feel like it was a cliffhanger unless he is expected to act badly to the news or she announce she plans to get an abortion but that's highly unlikely.. I had hoped that he would hug and kiss her after being told he was to be a father again.

Think this has to be my longest review and I'm sorry for any errors in my spelling and grammar.
word count: 1364

missbee193
Fan

Post by missbee193 »

Okay so this episode was spoiled for me. It was actually what got me very obsessed about Bones. I liked the show at this point but was only very new to using social media and all that. So when I saw this news, I think over twitter, I basically rushed off to watch the episode.

And I loved that Michael Vincent was born during this ep! Made it even more epic. I cannot listen to Make You Feel My Love by Adele without getting a little bit emotional now. Hodgins and Angela are such a good couple and I'm so glad they got their happy ending. I can't wait to see what's ahead for them in season 9 and 10! Yay for season 10. :banana-dance: :dance: :happy-cheerleaderkid:
word count: 129
Hodgins (to Brennan): What you have is faith, baby. (Brennan laughs) Sorry, the "baby" thing is a reflex...

emi13
Fan

Post by emi13 »

When I first saw this episode it was on dvd and I didn't know that season seven hadn't come out yet. I was freaking out after the episode was over and could not wait to see the next episode. I rewatched this episode about ten times now! This was one of my favorite Tj episodes where his character really stood out and his acting skills were SUPER amazing!
word count: 70
Dr. Jack Hodgins: Up and forward are only two directions. Science should look in all directions.