Bones 8.01 The Future in the Past

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
MarinaDuister
Fan

Bones 8.01 The Future in the Past

Post by MarinaDuister »

The season 8 premier.
Well, what to say. I could list a lot of things that were so AMAZING about it!
The washingmachine for instance, just like the spoilers said. So funny!! Or... Ang! So sweet how she wanted to protect Brennan although Booth hated her :romance-smileyheart:

And then, ofcourse, I have to mention the Hodgins/Pelant scene. Me, myself, I found that HORRIBLE!! Until before this episode, Hodgins image was sweet, and a bit weird. But now? Some weird dude that easily strangles another dude? Those muscles though ;) hahaha

And then Pelant? Who is not actually Pelant? What's going on here?!
word count: 102
"What about love? What do you have to say about love?" -Angela Montenegro
"It's overrated. Most of the time." -Jack Hodgins

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: 8x01 The Future in the Past

Post by skftex »

Okay, I have to say, I thought this episode was better than all the other Pelant episodes so far.

I liked that Booth was angry with Angela, because it made sense. Though I know there is going to be issues with Booth/Bones because of her leaving that will come up in other episodes, I did think Booth was too calm when he finally saw Bones again.

I thought Clark was funny about his binders, and I liked that Brennan loved the idea when they sneaked her into the Jeffersonian. And Hodgins face when Brennan asked him why his findings were in Clark's binders cracked me up sooooooo much. Hodgins: "Seriously?" Blank stare from Brennan. Blank stare from Hodgins then "I'm sorry." HAHAHAHAHA This reminded me a lot of some of the scenes from the early seasons between them. My only problem with that was, wouldn't the FBI be watching the Jeffersonian if they were that intent on catching Brennan? And sending away all the security guards should have alerted them something fishy was going on.

I didn't understand why Flynn was at the party after Brennan was cleared. He never seemed like someone that was their friend-even when Booth was upset with Angela you could tell they were friends, Flynn just seemed like a jerk FBI guy, not someone they'd invite to celebrate with them. I guess they did that because at the end we don't know if he is a good guy or a bad guy and they wanted us to see that despite all of it, the team seems to trust him.

How did Angela know how much of the triangle code to highlight just based on what Sweets said? And she never tried to take the sides before, in the whole three months she'd been trying to crack it? A blank face is Angela's thinking face? LOL

And now, THE SCENE EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT!! I find it interesting that everyone was surprised that Hodgins could nearly kill Pelant. And everyone is kind of shocked and upset by it. But you know, it seemed right to me. Hodgins is very loyal and VERY emotionally attached to the people around him, and he'd feel very threatened if he felt that someone was going to hurt those people. Especially someone like Pelant, because they never know what he will do. I think a lot of us could get to that point if we felt we needed to do it to protect the people we care about. TJ, of course, was FABULOUS in that scene but then like Hart Hanson said, TJ will do anything and not only will he do anything he can pull it off. AND HOW!!! :shock: I love that today it seems like people are talking as much about this scene (and it was the reason that "Hodgins" was trending worldwide on Twitter last night) as they are the "washing machine" scene, which I barely registered with me. I have different priorities I think. :wink:

word count: 508
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

So overall, I loved the episode. Like Sharon pointed out there were a few things that I didn't understand, like why Flynn was at the party and how Angela solved the triangle. I honestly thought there would be more explanation or more depth to solving the triangle, so I was a little disappointed on that part of the show.

I'm sorry Marina, but I LOVED the Hodgins/Pelant scene! :romance-smileyheart: Hodgins is similar to Bones and to most of the characters on the show in that he would do anything (including kill) in order to protect the people he loves. Brennan herself admitted on the season 7 finale that she would kill under certain circumstances to protect her family. I also loved the scene because it showed another side to Hodgins, the tougher, more protective side as opposed to the sweet, geeky side. It just reinforced that he's the perfect man. :icon-lol:
:romance-inlove:
word count: 153
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

MarinaDuister
Fan

Post by MarinaDuister »

I have to agree on the party/triangle arguments. It was just weird. I mean, one minute he's their 'enemy' and the other he suddenly is their friend? Whut?
And more explenation about the triangle would've been handy too, it's just weakening the show :(

Some of your arguments about the choking, well, I have to agree but I stick with that I think it ruins the whole sweet Hodgins image. Sure, it's because he cares about his family, but just.. I get why, but he's supposed to be sweet! Cute! (Handsome!) And you're saying he's acting similar as the rest of the team now. That's just something I liked about him, he was different. Yeah, ofcourse I still like him, he's our Hodgepodge (hahaha) BUT I LIKED THE OLD HODGY BETTER!
:) xx
word count: 141
"What about love? What do you have to say about love?" -Angela Montenegro
"It's overrated. Most of the time." -Jack Hodgins

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I shouldn't come in on this before I've even seen it, but nonono, we can't just assume Hodgins doesn't have a dark side! What TJ is creating here is a complex human being, not a cute cipher, and we have all seen him as the sometimes angry, uptight Hodgins of the early seasons. Being in a loving relationship has stopped him being distant and mistrustful of others to some extent - but it's all still there. I look forward to having TJ convince me totally as usual.
word count: 91
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

skftex wrote: And she never tried to take the sides before, in the whole three months she'd been trying to crack it?
Well, Angela had been staring at the triangle for 3 months, looking at it over and over from the same perspective. Being emotionally connected to Brennan, maybe she wasn't able to work at her best. When Sweets came back to the case and added a fresh set of eyes, she was able to break that block. Just an idea. :D
word count: 83
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

ThyneAlone wrote:I shouldn't come in on this before I've even seen it, but nonono, we can't just assume Hodgins doesn't have a dark side! What TJ is creating here is a complex human being, not a cute cipher, and we have all seen him as the sometimes angry, uptight Hodgins of the early seasons. Being in a loving relationship has stopped him being distant and mistrustful of others to some extent - but it's all still there. I look forward to having TJ convince me totally as usual.
Yeah, I would like to learn more about Hodgins before he was at the Jeffersonian to make him so angry in the beginning. I want to know what happened to his family and his personal history to have a perspective on how far his character has evolved. I look forward to the writers touching on that someday.
word count: 150

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Yes, we all hope that, but disappointingly we have been hoping and asking for 4 or 5 years without response! Everyone else has a past!!
word count: 25

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Another thing I forgot to mention on my earlier posts: Why was Pelant pulling up Clark's file with a smile on his face? I'm sure they'll probably get into that in future episodes, along with the alarm clock/4:47 thing and why he took a pic of the baby's room in the last episode of season 7. Just more stuff to speculate on I guess..... :eusa-think:
word count: 70

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

ThyneAlone wrote:Yes, we all hope that, but disappointingly we have been hoping and asking for 4 or 5 years without response! Everyone else has a past!!
I concur vehemently, after all we know something about everyones' past: Sweets, Angela, Cam... but Jack? His past is still a mystery.
word count: 49

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

stargazer563 wrote:Another thing I forgot to mention on my earlier posts: Why was Pelant pulling up Clark's file with a smile on his face? I'm sure they'll probably get into that in future episodes, along with the alarm clock/4:47 thing and why he took a pic of the baby's room in the last episode of season 7. Just more stuff to speculate on I guess..... :eusa-think:
I think he hacked Clark's profile to read his email to Booth, that's why Cam told Clark to send the information via email, she knew Pelat would have tried something to enter their system, and this gave the FBI a reason to arrest Pelant.
word count: 118

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Bones 8.01 The Future in the Past

Post by stargazer »

Oh, yeah. You're probably right! I was afraid they were going to kill off another squint like they did with Vincent, by having Pelant go after him.
word count: 28

AmyLynn
Fan

Post by AmyLynn »

Yes, the 'code breaking' of the triangle was weak and a bit lame. Overall though, I liked the episode. Kinda worried about what is going to happen with Max though. Got a feeling he is going to go after Pelant, and that whole meaning of the flower thing at the end has us wondering. I do think Flynn is on the wrong side.
I take it that whatever Pelant did to the alarm clock that he switched hasn't been figured out yet. I wasn't happy with last season's finale and that they went this way with the story line, but I enjoyed the turn around. I'm just glad that Brennan dyed her hair back at the end, because she just should not be a blond.
Hodgins- I LOVED the Hodgins/Pelant scene and feel it showed that even though he's a sweetie...he's not a wuss. Every once in a while I think they make his character too soft and this just reminds everyone that he can be that virile take charge man when the need arises. It shouldn't be a suprise if you think back to the Grave Digger episodes. He would have/could have killed her, and with good reason.
It'll be interesting to see what this season brings!!!
word count: 219

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I had forgotten about the alarm clock. Good point AmyLynn. And nice to see you posting-love getting a lot of different perspectives on things!

And Theresa you are no longer under approval restrictions! Yay!
word count: 35
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

:eusa-dance: Hurray! I have seen this! Running late of course, but still!

First of all, Pelant is still irritating all sorts of things out of me. He is such a brat. I am extremely disappointed they are not putting him away for good instead of saving him to crop up unconvincingly at another juncture. I too loved the scene with the strangling. Hodgins is a strong, loyal and moral person, why would he not want to kill Pelant in the same way he wanted to kill the Gravedigger? I need to feel the danger in Hodgins. He does have a dangerous side and TJ does it so well, makes him truly multifaceted.

I liked the way they trapped Pelant with the email, but I really did think (and think every time we are unfortunate enough to be dealing with a serial offender) that it was all just too clever, too complicated. How Angela could have worked out that code, how the guy could have written it all out in the first place, how Brennan could have done all that careful disinterring without being caught? And communicating via flowers - hmm, really? Flynn's sudden complete character volte-face, well that is just inconsistent writing.

Despite all these glitches, already well documented in this thread, I was still cheering to see them all back and still working for each other. Clark's binders - superb! It's clear that there are going to be relationship ramifications now that Angela and Brennan have had secrets from their respective partners - bring it on! Hubby and I enjoyed this one and, as I said, a great opportunity for TJ not to be 'cute'. He is, after all, the scientist, and hearing his cold, scientific detail of everything that was happening to Pelant was simply mesmerising.

A propos of nothing in particular, have UK fans of Silent Witness, Bones' English rival, observed that they have just acquired a maverick forensic scientist who has anger management problems - named Jack Hodgson?!! :)
word count: 333

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

Soooo finally I could watch this episode!!! Yes!!! Season 8 arrived on French TV this Summer.
I have to say that I have missed some episodes of season 7 so I have missed several things. It's the first time I see Pelant, I haven't seen the babies before and so on.
But I didn't feel lost though, this is not so bad :)

Soooo... Where to start...?
Pelant... Well, to be honest, I don't know who this bad guy is but really... He is the less interesting bad guy I've ever seen. He has no charisma, a poor background and really you are not surprised by anything he does. Like I said, I haven't seen him before and I wasn't impressed at all during this episode.

Talking about Pelant, makes me think of the MOST interesting scene ever in Bones: Hodgins strangling this man!!! Hahaha oooh what an amazing scene!!!
Hodgins doing everything he thinks is good to protect his family is SO Hodgins! This scene is the best surprise of this episode! Wow! For once we see how far he can go and then... How he realises that it would be a bad thing for Brennan and stops what he was about to do...
But really, I liked this moment so much!!!
Amazing TJ!!! What an amazing job he's done! His face has so many expressions in such a short time :-) TJ definitely rocks!

Oh and on a very personal note: what is this horrible wig??? hahaha seriously, they could have done much better than this stupid unrealistic wig :D

Done with this one ;) Now... Next episode!!! Hehehe yes, we have 2 in the same night :D

:happy-smileyflower: Véro
word count: 285
The waffle conspiracy...