Bones 8.03 The Gunk in the Garage

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
AmyLynn
Fan

Bones 8.03 The Gunk in the Garage

Post by AmyLynn »

So I've been waiting for someone to start the discussion for this epi and no one has, so I guess I will. :D I liked it!! Even though there wasn't the normal B&B interaction, I thought it was a nice change. (Don't get me wrong, I love B&B.) I thought it was a fun episode.
Hodgins in the begining with the gunk falling on his face...awesome. Though I wonder how disciplined you can be not to automatically shake intestines off your face..it was funny!!
Booth behind a desk... ya, right! So are kevlar vests considered uniform or equiptment??? Hmmm.
But my main excitement in this episode was the possibility of Sweets finding someone other than Daisy. I just do not like her character, never have, and would love see that split!! And I really liked the new agent. I think they would make a cute couple and Sweets needs more excitement in his life!! Daisy is just so flakey!! And when they put the two of them together it makes Sweets look like a goof. :icon-rolleyes: But the kiss between Olivia and him at the end... I'm hoping we have a new love connection! :romance-smileyheart:
The case was interesting. I'm not sure how much I believe that the twins could be in the same place at the same time and not notice each other, but maybe it was just a very large convention?? The one thing that did bother me with this episode was 'the mistaken identity'. Maybe I missed the explanation both times I watched it, so fill me in if I've missed something, but the cup was set on top of the wrong guys car?? I could understand if he shot the wrong guy, or beat the wrong guy... but if the wife had given him the info and the details of the car (I would think she'd give him the liscence plate number too), how does he bomb the wrong twin's car. That has nothing to do them being identical and a case of mistaken identity. Even if they drove the same car, the hitman would have needed more than make/model and color to carry out the hit, hell, there are two other cars just like mine in my town and I live in a small town. That bothers me.
But overall, I liked the episode. I would like to see little Michael here soon. I'm dying to see what the little guy looks like!
word count: 419

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Bones 8.03 The Gunk in the Garage

Post by stargazer »

I agree! I thought this episode was really fun! I liked the unusual pairings of the characters; Booth and Cam, Sweets and the new FBI agent, and Bones and Hodgins. :romance-smileyheart: I especially loved the playful nature between Brennan and Hodgins when they were blowing stuff up together as opposed to the usually more serious nature Bones has towards Hodgins. :D I also think that the new FBI agent (can't recall her name at this moment) is a cute fit for Sweets.

It is a very good point that the hit-man should've known which car was his target and wouldn't have confused him with his twin. Another thing that bothered me a little was the difference of the two bombs. The first one blew up when touched, but the second one didn't explode even though it was being handled by several different people. I'm no expert, but you would think that the hit-man would stay consistent and use the same type of bomb, especially since it was unexpected that he killed the wrong twin and had to plan another murder on short notice. Maybe that's just me watching too many crime shows! :icon-lol:
word count: 198
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Thank you for starting this Amy Lynn! :) I hope that others will just start them when there isn't one yet! :eusa-clap:

I don't have much to say about this one because it had waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too much Sweets for my tastes. The good part was we didn't have to deal with too much Sweets AND Daisy being there (I'm with you on that Amy Lynn, I really, really do not like Daisy). But I also don't much like Sweets so that always ruins the episodes for me when he has a huge part.

I did absolutely LOVE Hodgins' face when Cam gives him the wire and then tells him that way he didn't have to blow up anything in the lab. :crying-pink: :crying-pink: :crying-pink: :crying-pink: And then I did really like that he STILL blew things up! KING OF THE LAB!!! (I know he didn't say it but he was!! LOL) And I liked the fact they let him have a scene with Bones and how excited they both were about it! So cute!

So I think I'll ask TJ about that gunk falling on his face and how he possibly could be brave enough to TALK while it was on his face. EWWWWWWWWWWWW. :shock:

I also wondered about the car/wrong twin. And good point about the bombs Kathy! :eusa-think:

Sharon

word count: 224
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Okay I asked TJ how long he had to have that stuff on his face and how they convinced him to TALK while it was on there and he said...

"Haha
I loved it :)
I was saying "Lets do it again and let me try to speak with it still on my face" the line I said about big chunks wasn't in the script we came up with it on set heehee"

Weirdo. HAHAHA But it was great, really it was.<--this part is me, TJ only said the stuff in green.
word count: 93
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

And something else, just because it is cute, not because it really has anything to do with this particular episode...

:0) at work shooting ep 8-6 with Wendell and cam right now
Hi from the future :)
word count: 37

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

The gunk on the face thing was awesome and so funny. Cam kept taking the little chunks away though, meanie. :) Wonder if there were blooper-worthy laughs through that scene. Brennan and Hodgins getting their geek on together was fun too.

Okay, so I love Sweets (unlike some people :eusa-shhh: ) so I don't mind when he's featured more. Sharon, you must have liked the part where the woman beat him up then right? But like most people, I do not care for Daisy so I was excited to see that he might have a new love interest, and the ending was sweet. Overall, I thought the new agent was a little weird though. Not sure if it was the acting or maybe the character is supposed to be that way? Have to wait and see, I guess.

Excellent effects at the beginning with the car bomb. My 4-year-old "Is that his foot?" Yup. Sorry about the nightmares, kiddo.
(DARN YOU FOX FOR MOVING IT TO AN EARLIER TIME AND LOCKING IT ON YOUR WEBSITE)

I can't get into too much detail with the case because of multitasking with the kids makes it hard to concentrate, but you all make some good points about the car/mistaken identity. Shouldn't she have given him a plate number or something?

I love how the twins were separated at birth and are exactly alike. I've read stories like that in the past and liked how they used it here.

I thought the actress who played the guilty wife was hilarious. And she was all matter-of-fact at the end about still waiting for him to kill her husband. Was it the same actress who played both wives? I know they looked similar, but like I said, multitasking.

Random tidbit: The woman who directed this episode also directed the episode of Castle that aired that night and one of the guest stars was in both episodes too.
word count: 329
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

losersaxplayer
Fan

Post by losersaxplayer »

I liked it. I like the guts. I liked Sweets being all bad ass. I didn't like Booth being all desk Jockey.

Totally in depth and well thought out I know.
word count: 32
"Never, Never, Never Quit" - Winston Churchill

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Oh, the Booth desk jockey comment made me think of how much I LOVE CAROLINE. She owns every scene she is in. That is all. Good night, Cheries.
word count: 28
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Sharon, that is hilarious that TJ actually enjoyed having that stuff on his face and did it more than once!! :icon-biggrin: I wonder sometimes what they use to make the "gunk" on the show. I'm sure it can't be much better than actual guts, lol!!

I actually really like Sweets and John Francis Daley. So much so that I went on Netflix to watch some the episodes of Freaks and Geeks. It's crazy because he looks almost exactly the same as he did as a kid only a taller. His face hasn't changed at all! Lol!

I have to agree that Daisy gets on my nerves.
word count: 109
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Well I have absolutely nothing against John Francis Daley at all. He's fine, he portrays Sweets just fine, I just don't feel the character is necessary.
word count: 28

AmyLynn
Fan

Post by AmyLynn »

The difference in the bombs... well there wasn't any difference really. They were remote detonated. The 'bomber' was in the garage watching for the 'vic' and when he grabbed for the cup he detonated it. That's how and why he was hurt himself, the blast threw him into the fusebox I believe it was. The reason the second cup didn't blow is because they shot him after Sweets grabbed the cup and he wasn't able to detonate it. :D
word count: 82

AmyLynn
Fan

Post by AmyLynn »

Oh, and I LOVE Sweets...lol
word count: 6

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Good point! It's nice to have other people to bounce ideas and opinions off of. :)
word count: 16

MarinaDuister
Fan

Post by MarinaDuister »

Okay, let me start by saying this:

I LOVE ANGELA!! Well, in a non-lesbian kind of way. She's like the cupid in Bones!! and she's all creative and loving and somehow manages to say the right things to make people do things... Things they want and don't want all at the same time!!

And then this episode... Again with the cupid, way to go Ang!! I noticed nobody said anything about the ''your brilliant wife'' scene. That's too bad, I liked it! AND MADE ME SO FREAKIN JEALOUS :crying-pink:

And then the intestines.. He actually said that Sharon? HE'S AMAZING!! And then the blowing up things... Oh the feels :romance-smileyheart:
Just the Hodgins like we know him and love him :D

And about Sweets and agent ?? (Sparling? was it Sparling?).... I have nothing really AGAINST Sweets.. I just... Don't... like him too much.. Do I say that right? I like the interaction between him and that agent (IT WAS SPARLING! OLIVIA SPARLING!), rather than Daisy. Daisy still annoys me sometimes. Well... Yeah she does..

OKAY NOW GIMME MY NEXT EPISODE FOX ^_^
word count: 185
"What about love? What do you have to say about love?" -Angela Montenegro
"It's overrated. Most of the time." -Jack Hodgins

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Amy Lynn, thank you, because I didn't get that the bombs were remotely set off AT ALL, but that makes a lot more sense. :-P

Well Marina, that is what TJ told me when I asked about the intestines on the face. LOL And that sort of enthusiasm is just so like him, he definitely does everything full scale, so while I still think he is insane, it wasn't that surprising that he'd love that scene. HAHA :icon-mrgreen:
word count: 79

MarinaDuister
Fan

Post by MarinaDuister »

So insane but at the same time adorable :)
That bomb made me wonder too!! I mean, how come the first one was placed there, making it go of with the slightest touch, while with the second one that guy was swinging the bomb around ( alot may I add) and it didnt go of?!

And ya know what I just thought of: that killer told Hodgins and Bren there 4 sausages stolen (I suppose there were explosives in there?) and there were 3 sausages used in the bomb. What happened to the last sausage?!
xx
PS: sorry for possibel typing errors, it's an iPod post so typing isnt perfect ;)
word count: 109
"What about love? What do you have to say about love?" -Angela Montenegro
"It's overrated. Most of the time." -Jack Hodgins

Ali:)
Fan

Post by Ali:) »

Hi Everyone :D So Im currently watching this ep at the mo and may I add Season 8 starts in Australia on Sunday. Woot :eusa-dance: I’ll be adding more to this comment after I’ve finished watching. :icon-biggrin:
word count: 38

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

No-one will connect with this at all but I definitely had a couple of Buffy flashbacks during this. One was that magnificent introductory explosion with bits of body parts everywhere flying out of the fireball (“a good argument for valet parking”). The other one was the moment when Sweets was saying to Olivia “I like you. You’re smart, and really good at your job…”, so reminiscent of Willow’s first real connection with a werewolf (not that I think Olivia is dangerous or anything)! There were a couple more, but I won’t dwell on them, as lots of you won’t recall even the former. What I will say is that they were moments of good direction and scripting and it’s good to be reminded of them in another favourite show. In addition, the self-actualisation Synergy group with its cultish effect on its followers brought to mind an ep of the sadly cancelled ‘Lie To Me’ in which the leader of a similar money-spinner was debunked. So this one sparked some nice memories of box sets comfortably ensconced on my shelves. But what of the episode itself?

Well, one thing I really loved was the frequency of TJ’s face on my screen and not just in lab context. I rejoice mightily when he is out in the field with all that enthusiasm and fun. The scenes in the lab with the team were a joy as always, with the traditional relaxed banter initially, then TJ actually struggling with his expression as he tries to agree that Cam has helped him stop blowing up the lab! The scene in which Hodgins excitedly produces a detonator wire which Brennan mistakes for a suppository, then elatedly introduces them all to his mutant cockroach egg, of which we now all know we have probably ingested hundreds in our food and water (“Cool, huh!”) was laugh-out-loud funny. I also enjoyed the familiar explosion replication, only missing Zack’s boyish delight (after all this time!); but it was reassuring that Brennan was involved and happy too. As usual Cam’s deadpan reaction was a great source of humour (“Requisitioned?” “I left a note”). I’m not convinced by him never really liking that shirt though. I’m sure he’s been seen in similar loads of times. Out in the field, paired excellently with Brennan – I have thought they work well together ever since ‘Aliens’ – it was interesting to see him actually visiting the demolition company and offering some expert advice on the junction box. Best of all, that hilarious intestines-in-the-face scene and his plea for Cam to take the big pieces off first. Superbly played. TJ is such an anchor to this group whose members play off one another so well.

As has already been noted, a lot of this episode seems to focus on unusual pairings. OK, we get a few lovely, natural moments with the more regular Hodgins/Angela and Booth/Brennan couples; but we also see Sweets with someone who isn’t Daisy and isn’t BB either, and that rare event, a proper Angela/Sweets interaction; Booth being rescued from his bureaucratic nightmare by his former lover; the aforementioned Brennan/Hodgins collaborations; and two near-identical couples with equally horrible relationships (incidentally, did you notice that Brennan spotted the identical twin connection even while Angela was still puzzling about he reconstruction being wrong – and supported her friend?). Gina Carlson was a particularly appealing criminal in her bald, matter-of-fact admission to having hired a hitman to detail her husband, having thoroughly researched with 65 online searches for contract killers (“So the guy I hired got the wrong man – how is that my fault?”)! Refreshingly honest and in-your-face, I thought, enabling us to look back on her insincere reaction to hearing of her husband’s death and subsequent laying into Sweets (“Why would you put me through this?!”) with an entirely different perspective. We were also able here to reflect on the scarily similar Langella woman whose first reaction to her husband’s demise was “Who killed him”? and who gave a little defibrillation to that old joke “Why do you want your husband dead?” “You’re obviously not married.”

Like Sharon, I’m not too enamoured of Sweets as a character, but his partnership with Olivia Sparling (why didn’t they go the whole hog and call her Clarice? lol) does open up new possibilities. Daisy – and thank goodness for that young woman’s five-day absence – moons about after Lance in a quite emetic fashion and thinks he is brilliant. With Olivia, who rolls her eyes expressively at his every attempt to introduce a psychological perspective, he has to sharpen up and prove himself. It’s great to observe them striking sparks off each other from the outset – she goes straight for the jugular to get hold of those security tapes, while Sweets would have preferred a slightly gentler approach in order to prevent Franklin ‘lawyering up’. It’s interesting to follow Sparling’s feelings moving from dismissive to admiration to attraction, apology and flirtation, helped in no small way by Angela’s impressive manipulation of Lance’s ‘specific data’ to winnow down the victim pool. Inevitably, it is Angela who also immediately spots Sweets’ attraction to Olivia and teases him about it while they survey the security tapes that prove both twins were at the same seminar (“Please don’t use linguistic indicators that I taught you against me.”).

Hodgins’ massively satisfying lab explosion segues seamlessly into Booth frustratedly and violently ripping up some of the endless ocean of paper in which he has been buried thanks to Caroline having reduced him to deskwork and budgeting in the hope of some distant promotion. Apparently, the government doesn’t function without toner. I can certainly confirm from experience that schools don’t. It is Booth’s near-absence from the scene that has enabled other relationship dynamics to be explored; but, though an intriguing experience for the viewer, it is infuriating for him. His one contribution to the case prior to the all-action finale, in a phone call to Sweets, is a striking one, cutting to the heart of it all (“Yeah, cause people, they never lie”). Did anyone notice that Sweets’ protestation about Booth hanging up without saying goodbye “It’s our thing cos we’re close” echoed Zack’s of long ago? Anyway, Booth is certainly channelling some pent-up clown-shooting type rage by the time he gets out, abandoning Cam to her fate, to help his friends. And it’s scarcely surprising. To be suddenly diminished to the point of having to argue the toss about whether Kevlar vests are uniform or equipment must be appalling, especially as part of the reason for his acceptance is so that he can achieve some kind of financial parity with Brennan. Brennan senses this and is clearly worried. It’s indeed difficult for an alpha male not to be the main breadwinner, and the “it’s just money”/”rich people always say that” argument is a very common one. The one thing I felt didn’t ring true here was Brennan’s ‘sad eyes’, apparently a habit acquired since Christine’s arrival. Since when has Brennan been manipulative? She is usually more direct than this, even over such banalities of life as brightly coloured strollers. The final scene, that reassuring intimate discussion tailing off into the credits (“Christine would love a new grill..and a tool box..”) is far more convincing.

In addition to all this, we get an action scene where Sweets gets shot and helps Sparling and Booth save the day. The pace really picked up with those frantic phone calls between plaza and lab – rapid identification, a warning to Carlson to hide, the shooting. And of course Lance’s reward for playing the hero, which seems to throw some doubt on the Daisy relationship.

I am quite happy with the bombs being remote-detonated but I am not particularly happy with the matter of the car. It’s quite a stretch to imagine that a self-respecting contract killer wouldn’t ensure he was hitting on the right vehicle, even if he hadn’t cottoned on to the frankly dubious premise of twins who knew nothing of one another being at the same place at the same time.

On balance, another good one, I think.
word count: 1415
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I guess they didn't call her Clarice because the character from Silence of the Lambs is Clarice Starling, so both names would be different. :)
word count: 25

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Mmm it's just such an obvious reference though, isn't it!
word count: 12
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro