Fox does it again

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Fox does it again

Post by ThyneAlone »

well, according to reliable sources at the fox.com boards (I'll seek out the actual announcement for you when I have a moment), the next new 'Bones' ep to be shown in the US will be 'Baby In The Bough' on Feb 22nd!

They certainly are stretching out the other three eps known to be finished! OK, they have the strike to consider, but at one every two months they could make them last till June.

Fox has never been known for viewer friendliness or even for being a friend to the hapless excellent series that stray into its all-devouring path. I really am getting irritated now on behalf of all our 'Bones' fans who are having to put up with this nonsense.
word count: 125
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

*heavy sigh*

I just...

*shakes head*

Executives at FOX, I don't understand you. Don't even get me started on Firefly, but now messing with Bones? Don't you dare do it.
word count: 33

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Actually, I thought that was about normal for almost all TV shows in the US. They wrap up sometime before Christmas, though granted it was earlier than usual this year because of the strike, and rarely do new shows come on in January unless its a show that is in a split season and starts in January like they did with 24 once I believe. I think I read that the Christmas episode of House will be shown at the end of January :?: :roll: which granted is a month before Bones starts again, but the whole point of waiting to show what they have is to stretch it out into the sweeps time, and have new episodes to show, assuming the writers strike is over and they manage to film new episodes.

Anyway, I think that once it starts up again, we will not get one new one a month, it'll probably be mostly new episodes til the end of the season again based on the belief the writers strike is resolved before the end of January.

Sharon
word count: 178
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

skftex wrote:Actually, I thought that was about normal for almost all TV shows in the US. They wrap up sometime before Christmas, though granted it was earlier than usual this year because of the strike, and rarely do new shows come on in January unless its a show that is in a split season.
Hi Sharon! :D
It feels good to have an optimistic 'Bones' voice in here. I was basing my thoughts about getting a new ep every couple of months on the worst-case scenario of the strike not being resolved early. Every time there is hope and a fresh sit-down to negotiations there seems to be a walkout, which is not sending the best signals.

You are, of course, right about sweeps, a time which has annoyed me intensely since I discovered its existence - when I was able to watch Sky 1 showings, they were naturally affected also - and must frustrate US viewers hugely. As a UK fairly-infrequent watcher (the more channels we get, the more rubbish they seem to show, and I like witty and entertaining stuff with intelligent dialogue. Not 'reality's' greatest fan!), I am going to put my hands up and say I don't understand it. I even once tried looking the concept up on Wikipedia, still don't see why it happens. We have nothing to compare here. Mind you, over here Friday night is not such a killer either; even though, obviously, some of the demographic drops off, it is not such a death knell as it appears to be across the pond. So, is sweeps a good or bad period for the US viewer, and how often does it happen? And why?

My personal experience with Fox is not a particularly miserable one, though I have to say I was pleased when 'Buffy' changed networks, but I can't believe how much it messes the fans about with changes of programming and timing, promises of doing one thing and then doing another. I suspect if that happened so often here, stick-in-the-mud as I am, I might not follow my programmes around. There are a lot of people like me, creatures of habit, and I think the ratings here would suffer quite badly. :(

So, sweeps. US pals. Can you explain it to me in words of one or two syllables? It genuinely does confuse me.
:? :oops:
word count: 400

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

I echo Sherry's *heavy sigh*. When I read this over on LiveJournal I just couldn't believe that Fox was doing it AGAIN! I do understand they're trying to stretch our their episodes and all, but still ... to leave us hanging with no new Bones until the end of February? That seems like an eternity!!
Last edited by KimberHodgela on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 57
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Well ThyneAlone I'll try to explain sweeps-no guarantees I'll do a good job of it though! There are 4 sweeps periods, February, May, July and November. Basically its how the networks measure television viewing (through Nielson ratings) and also how they determine the advertising rates. So if a show does really well during a sweeps period they can charge the advertisers more to air something during the time slot of that particular show. Thats basically the purpose. Hope that makes sense.

I know that the UK tv shows tend to air differently, because I like Midsomer Murders and it doesn't seem to have many shows a season like a typical U.S. season does. Not that we can get that over here anymore. Sigh. Also I've noticed that you seem to have SO much reality TV, not that we don't, but I have friends in the UK and they tend to talk about a lot of reality tv-and not much else (as far as TV is concerned).

FOX is notorious for messing more with the schedule based on sweeps than other networks here, but they all do it to some degree. But then FOX usually has to delay some of their shows to November because they cover Major League Baseball-playoffs and the series.

Basically February is usual for new episodes after the holidays, though not necessarily that late in February.

Sharon
word count: 239
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sharon, that actually really helps. Soooo, that means the actual sweeps period must be quite good from a viewer standpoint because the networks need to compete for viewers with new eps of their best shows? But not so good in the run-up because you get a lot of reruns? Unless your show gets edged out because reality telly draws sweeps ratings maybe?

Yes, our system is different. A lot of series are only 8 or 9 episodes, in extreme cases like Jonathan Creek even fewer! We don't have syndication to worry about. Which means we can also do a show if need be without a large team of writers, sometimes one writer might do the lot!

Reality airings have certainly taken over a lot of TV time here. It's why I don't watch, I can see why many do, but it's a personal taste thing, I just feel it debases the medium. There are so many more inventive things you can do on TV, it just seems lazy to rely on formula all the time; though of course some formula does make a neat safety net.
word count: 191

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Usually reality tv shows get put in place of regular comedies, dramas, etc. that don't do well so don't get to air a full season. Usually new shows will film less than 10 episodes and then if the show fairs well during the premiere and Nov. sweeps it'll get the go ahead to film what is needed for a complete season. Sometimes a show can premiere in September and be gone less than 3 episodes later, thats when they tend to stick some reality TV show in that slot as a filler. Basically what I've noticed is that we get new stuff from whenever the season premiere is-which with FOX can be anywhere from sometime in September to sometime in November-to a few weeks before Christmas. Then shows usually pick up again with new episodes from February to March, a few reruns in the end of March to April and then new episodes to the end to May. Sometimes that varies depending on the show and its network. But basically yes, sweeps time is usually when all the good episodes are on, all the dramatic "you've got to see this!!" stuff that they think will draw in viewers.

Most reality TV shows aren't "full" seasons, even those that do well like American Idol. It starts in January and runs through to the end, can't tell you how long because I don't watch it. Full seasons usually being from Sept/Oct. to sometime in May-at least that is what I call a full season. :)

I agree about reality TV, I just don't care for it. I have to tell you I tend to blame the British :wink: for some of the stuff that shows up here because often my friends in England will be talking about a show 2 years before some Americanized version starts up here (re: Strictly Come Dancing becoming Dancing with the Stars!).

Sharon
word count: 327

Callieach
Fan

Re: Fox does it again

Post by Callieach »

If you don't mind me butting in, the latest news seems to be that we won't be getting new episodes until May. Seems Fox is preparing for the writer's to be out of it for a while.

And when we do get new eps, there'll just be 'The Baby In The Bough', and, rumour has it, the episode that was pulled last April because of the Virginia Tech Shootings. Hope they tweak it lots.

*sighs*
word count: 79
xox.

"I am not a party trick!"

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

I hope we (in Germany) don´t have to wait so long for the third season to start!
word count: 18
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Callieach
Fan

Post by Callieach »

I'm sure you'll be okay. I don't know what the normal wait time is for you guys, but I can't see why you should have to suffer just because our people are being wanktards.
Still, maybe we should all just cross our fingers and hope this gets better soon.
word count: 53
xox.

"I am not a party trick!"

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Man, I hope so! Wow.

This has got to be horrible for all the crews out there. As someone who was recently laid off (along with her entire office building, department by department), I know how difficult and stressful it is when you're out of work. I really hope both sides come together and find a resolution soon.
word count: 59

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ditto to all that. Wanktards! <<giggles>> Just love that word.
Callieach wrote:If you don't mind me butting in, the latest news seems to be that we won't be getting new episodes until May. Seems Fox is preparing for the writers to be out of it for a while.

And when we do get new eps, there'll just be 'The Baby In The Bough', and, rumour has it, the episode that was pulled last April because of the Virginia Tech Shootings. Hope they tweak it lots.

*sighs*
Callieach, I know about the depressing May news; I've updated in the 'Schedules' thread and advised constant references to the listings, which seem to be changing on an almost daily basis. I was under the impression we were going to get all four completed eps <<headshake>> Not too much to ask is it, after months of reruns and a spell on Fridays?
word count: 153

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Callieach wrote:I'm sure you'll be okay. I don't know what the normal wait time is for you guys, but I can't see why you should have to suffer just because our people are being wanktards.
Still, maybe we should all just cross our fingers and hope this gets better soon.
Thanks, Dakotah, for this encouraging words. I really hope they show it right after the 2nd season! Oh, and welcome (back) to tjthyne.com! :)

Just a question to you all. Is it the 4th season you waiting for them to show?

Simone
word count: 97

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Hiya Simone,

No we're actually waiting (with baited breath I'll add) for them to continue showing the rest of S3. Due to the writers strike, there are only 2 (3 according to recent news) more episode that have been filmed and are ready for airing, therefore at the end of November (after showing episode 3.10) Fox stopped showing the new episodes and went onto repeats, and now according to recent press releases they're gonna be airing the two/three new episodes from sometime in April (I think).

Sorry if that's not very clear :oops:
word count: 98
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Thanks, Wil, for that information. We in Germany are at the end of season 2, so I think we have to wait a little longer for season 3, too. But maybe they will show a few eps of season 3 here, soon. Really hope so!
word count: 45

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Your very welcome! Over here in the UK what they air on the TV is only a few months behind the American schedule, so the people who have the right channel don't have to wait very long for the new season and such, once all the rumours and stuff start flying around the internet. Being so far behind do you manage to stay away from spoilers and such? I hope you don't have to wait too long for season 3 (and short haired adorable TJ of course :wink:) to start, maybe by the time it does air in Germany all this writers strike stuff will be over and done with and you'll be able to watch the season in all it's complete glory...instead of with huge gaps like the rest of us *sigh*
word count: 137
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

willowwood wrote:...
Being so far behind do you manage to stay away from spoilers and such? I hope you don't have to wait too long for season 3 (and short haired adorable TJ of course :wink:) to start, maybe by the time it does air in Germany all this writers strike stuff will be over and done with and you'll be able to watch the season in all it's complete glory...instead of with huge gaps like the rest of us *sigh*
Yeah, that would be great! :)
I love spoilers! Always want to know what happens next! Love TJ´s new haircut! :)
Simone
word count: 105

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Callieach wrote:If you don't mind me butting in, the latest news seems to be that we won't be getting new episodes until May. Seems Fox is preparing for the writer's to be out of it for a while.

*sighs*
Right now, according to SpoilerFix, Baby in the Bough will be aired April 28th, which is a Monday. SpoilerFix is showing them airing like this so far:

Baby in the Bough-April 28
Man in the Mud-May 5
The Wannabe in Weeds-May 12 (last episode recorded before strike)
The Player Under Pressure-May 19 (season 2 episode that was pulled, "tweaked slightly")

http://www.spoilerfix.com/bones.php
As the name implies definite spoilers on this page so don't click if you don't want to know. :)

Sharon
word count: 172

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

skftex wrote:
http://www.spoilerfix.com/bones.php
As the name implies definite spoilers on this page so don't click if you don't want to know. :)
Thanks, Sharon! I will definitely check it out!
Simone
word count: 37