Bones 8.12 The Corpse on the Canopy

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Bones 8.12 The Corpse on the Canopy

Post by skftex »

I know a lot of people are going to LOVE this episode but something I just can't get over, and it is dumb. Sorry but Hodgins would not be poor just because someone accessed his portfolio. He owns CORPORATIONS. So are these companies suddenly going to go POOF because someone messed with some computer code? Are the people that RUN these companies suddenly not going to know who their boss is, the board of directors are going to go to work the next day and say "Oh say, it looks like we were sold in two seconds in the middle of the night, weird no one mentioned this to us." Even if Pelant transferred ownership to some non-existent person, there would be soooooooooooo many people that would know that it didn't happen, and official documents, on REAL paper (because yes, businesses still do use paper contracts oddly enough) to prove that he is the owner. Everyone doesn't suddenly have their memory erased because they keep trying to convince us Pelant is so smart. It is dumb, and it will continue to be dumb if they keep trying to tell us that Hodgins is poor and no longer owns the Cantilever group. Maybe it'll take a while to get that sorted out but he'd still have access to money, believe me, no rich person would put themselves in a situation where a computer glitch could wipe them out.

TJ of course was great in this episode, and parts of it were interesting but unless they give me a better explanation for him being poor (like the Men in Black came by and mind-wiped the thousands of people that would be working for the Cantilever group) I'll be very disappointed. I know that Hart Hanson regretted making Hodgins so rich, he's said so and now he thinks he's found a genius way to take care of it, but it makes absolutely NO sense.

Sorry, I promise if others post on here I won't come back and wipe out everyone's excitement about this episode, but I just couldn't keep this in anymore.
word count: 362
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Bones 8.12 The Corpse on the Canopy

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

No, Sharon, you're not alone in this. :D

I will first say that TJ did a wonderful job. He ALWAYS does a wonderful job, and this episode was no exception. The terror, the panic, the anger, the fear... he portrayed it all with terrific, believable intensity.

That said, however, the Pelant stuff is a huge plot hole.

I said this to Sharon in an email tonight and I'll repeat it here:

What's ridiculous too is that making Angela and Hodgins poor doesn't just make the two of them poor. It destroys the Jeffersonian. Hodgins has pointed out on numerous occasions that the Jeffersonian is funded in large part by the Cantilever Group. So if the money has been 'stolen,' are they going to recover it anytime soon? Otherwise, doesn't the whole Jeffersonian shut down? (Or a large part of it, whatever they can't afford?)

So Hart can't just crack jokes about Hodgins and Angela needing to live off bagels and whatever's left in the Jeffersonian refrigerators. He'd have to completely change how the Jeffersonian operates because they as a company now have no money. How are they going to pay their staff? How are they going to pay for all the use of all that expensive equipment and whatever is needed to run it in order to solve crimes?

I also refuse to believe that Pelant is so awesome with covering his tracks that no one in the FBI would be able to follow the money trail and find where it went. They've managed to track him down along the way so far. It's just way too convenient that everyone is some level of incompetent compared to Pelant.

So what does this loss really do? If they're not willing to completely up-end the Jeffersonian as a plot point (and they sure didn't seem to even mention it -- shouldn't Brennan have been panicking at the end of the episode that they'd lose all their funding, their equipment, their employees, their interns, whatever?), then it's like they're just doing this half-assed in order to play with the 'fun' of Hodgins and Angela having to deal with having no money.

I also don't like that the show's characters seem so divided. In the past if something this traumatic happened, they would all band together as a family. They'd all be there for one another. In this episode, it was like there was "Booth and Brennan" and "Booth and Sweets," just like always, and then the rest of the Jeffersonian team. Where's the fearless leader Booth when Hodgins or Angela needed comfort and support? He's there looking after Brennnan, and Sweets (so that Sweets would still be alive to 'profile Pelant' if Booth got killed), but he doesn't seem to have much love and attention for the rest of the team anymore. Shouldn't he be bonding with Hodgins and/or Angela about protecting their child (given that he would anything to save Parker or Christine, if he were in the same boat)? Shouldn't there be time for some of that, to keep the viewers connected to all these characters as a team? It bothers me that the writers don't do that as often anymore. They seem to keep the show segregated to 'Booth and Brennan' with Sweets, and then the rest of the team. It makes this show not feel like it's about the 'team as family' anymore, which was a part I loved the most.

Another thing that troubled me is the whole lung thing. I like the lengths Angela and Hodgins were willing to go through to find answers if it means stopping Pelant. However, I can't believe we didn't see Brennan or Cam walk in on them BIOPSYING THEIR OWN LUNGS, or at least have Cam give them hell for it afterward, not because she can't understand why they did it but because it was so dangerous and reckless and they should have had someone help in case anything went wrong. It seemed like a very dramatic step for the two characters to take, but in the end it was treated like no big deal, which kind of takes the air out of the proverbial tires, you know what I mean? It doesn't seem as big a deal if there's no follow-through besides the 'hey, we're going to do this' and then cut to 'okay, we're done and it was uncomfortable but here's the results we got.'
word count: 773

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

I loved every second of the episode and I really believe that TJ rocked, it was his episode, and he was acting like someone under the influence of some drug, he was SO shocked! I mean, it's not the first time we saw Hodgins that mad about something, but what I really enjoyed is that he continued to do his job, no matter what.

I disagree about the Pelant storyline being a huge hole, though.

1) Money issue.
It's true, Hodgins clearly said the half of the Jeffersonian donations comes from his group, but this doesn't mean they (the writers) are not addressing this problem in the future episodes. Plus, when you usually make donations, you did them at the beginning of the year, so I guess they are covered for now, and I think that Jack & Angela are going to do something to have back their money.
Another aspect is that they can always found others investors, I mean the fact that Jack was a big donor, doesn't mean he is the only one.
I don't think this is a subject they are going to let down like it isn't important. And I honestly think that by the end of the season they are going to have their money back, but writers wanted to show us another and new aspect of H&A relationship.

2) The characters are divided?
I didn't see that too. Actually what I experienced watching the episode was quite the opposite. Even Brennan didn't particularly shine in this occasion, because everyone have done something to track Pelant down, whiteout being the "undiscussed protagonist". I think the rhythm of the episode somehow prevented from seeing them all together, speaking about what they were doing or what the consequences were.
Still Hodgins and Angela called B&B first when they discover the body in their house, Cam defended Hodgins' action with Sweets, Booth told Sweets that if something would have happened to him, he would have been the one who could stop Pelant and be there for him/his family, Angela shown an unconditioned faith both in Jack and Booth.
Their bond and trust in each other, to me, is evident trough all the episode.
And yes, nobody entered the room during the Angela & Hodgins lung thing, but I don't see that as a lack of consideration, more like a lack of time, they couldn't show us everything in 45 minutes, and this was A&H moment, their own, where we have seen the love and the trust they share.
My point is: just because they don't openly say something, doesn't mean is not there. And this is something I felt trough all the episode, and something I love about this show.

I mean, really, to me this was one of the best Bones episode ever.
word count: 481

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Actually omelette, corporations don't give a huge chunk of money at the beginning of the year. If the Cantilever group is responsible for HALF of all the Jeffersonian's donations, it wouldn't come in one large chunk. Corporations in the United States
work in quarters, but with that sort of amount of money they are talking about, even their quarterly donations probably don't go in one huge chunk, it is probably more of a monthly thing-with a quarterly impact. No they didn't say they WON'T address the Jeffersonian's money problems but if the Cantilever group is broke (and just think of all the unsaid ramifications THAT would hold if they really are such a big corporation...thousands out of work, not just people at the Jeffersonian) there would be a MAJOR impact on the Jeffersonian almost immediately. Sure they could get another donor but that isn't as easy as walking out into the street and asking, it'd take months and months and probably would have to end up being a lot of donors rather than just one. And while that is going on, the impact of it on the Jeffersonian SHOULD be major. Of course we don't know how it is going to be handled from here. We shall see.

And because of all of this I have finally realized what my main problem with Pelant is, it isn't just that they keep trying to convince us he is smarter than Brennan, Hodgins, Angela, Booth, Cam and Sweets put together, though that bothers me because he IS NOT that smart, or he'd never have fallen for the lets spam him and confuse him bit. It is that they have never really given us a reason he is so intent on messing with the people in the Jeffersonian. Honestly, if he could do the things he is said to have done, he'd be messing with GOVERNMENTS not just 6 people who work at a museum. If he could do what he did with that drone, AND with Hodgins money, why not do that to several governments of the world, start world war III and just sit back and enjoy the show? He is portrayed as liking the power he has, enjoying killing people, so seems like he'd enjoy that more than what he IS doing. WHY is he worried about these 6 people? I know they gave some sort of reason back in the first Pelant episode, but since they didn't catch him the first two or three times it seems like he'd have decided they weren't really a threat to him at all, that he IS smarter than they are, kill them all, and move on to creating even more chaos in the world with the skills he has. I just don't get the WHY, so I'm not willing to suspend my disbelief-and convincing the watcher to do that is a very important part of entertainment.

By the way, just because I don't like this particular storyline (because I do feel there are TOO many things they don't think about when writing them and then take the easy way out), doesn't mean I don't like the show. And yes, I thought TJ was brilliant in it but honestly when has he NOT been brlilliant? Even with the not so intense stuff.
word count: 575
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

skftex wrote:By the way, just because I don't like this particular storyline (because I do feel there are TOO many things they don't think about when writing them and then take the easy way out), doesn't mean I don't like the show. And yes, I thought TJ was brilliant in it but honestly when has he NOT been brlilliant? Even with the not so intense stuff.
This is how I feel. :D

By the way, Booth as badass is always my favorite Booth. I like when he's laser-focused like he was in this episode. It's much better than when the writers have him behaving like a clown (which I think diminishes him and the intelligence he does have as a person and an agent).

I just wish his only focus wasn't on Brennan or Sweets. That's what I meant about showing more of the 'team as family.' Yes, we get Cam being concerned about Hodgins' sanity, and we get Hodgins and Angela having such wonderful faith in one another -- but my point is, we always get that. That's the Jeffersonian team looking out for one another. I love that. But I don't think we get enough of Booth and/or Brennan looking after the Jeffersonian team anymore. They look after one another, and they look after Sweets (whose presence on a weekly basis still escapes me; I think he's overused as a character). But Booth and Brennan don't often have moments with their team anymore.

I loved seeing a scene between Brennan and Angela in this episode, and I wanted more of that. Yes, the pacing didn't really allow for it, but I think that's part of the problem. I think we spent too much time on scenes of Pelant doing stuff, and not enough time on the Jeffersonian team as a whole (Booth, Brennan and the team together in various ways and combinations, especially being there for Hodgins and Angela). I think the intimate moments are what makes this show special, and if they gloss over them or don't bother to have them with their key players anymore, then it loses its heart, which is the whole reason I like watching the show. You can't just have the melodrama; you need the heart. If you look at an older episode, they had the drama and intensity but they also took time to show Booth and/or Brennan connecting with their team.

I think it's so important to show that. They can't just tell us that Booth and Brennan love their team; they need to SHOW us that. And I don't think they show us that as richly as they used to.

On a different note, I did love that little contraption Hodgins dug out to use to communicate so they wouldn't have to do it online or via their burner phones (which Pelant somehow was able to access, did they ever say how that was even possible?). I liked that they had to go old school in order to send messages. And it cracked me up the first time Hodgins sent Booth a message and everyone in the FBI office was all, "Is something burning?" LOL. Very clever. I do like when Jack's geeky but brilliant mind comes out in fun and unusual ways.
word count: 567

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

LOL The Enigma machines. Those were great. By the way, Pelant didn't access it, I thought at first that happened too because Booth's was burning, but it was just smoking a bit because it hadn't been used in so long. Right after it was smoking they sent Hodgins a message using it, and he sent one back, so I think it was just that it hadn't been used in YEARS.

The Enigma machine played a key role in WWII because it was used by the German military, and in 1938 the Polish first managed to break the code, then later, Alan Turing and his group in England broke ciphers, as it was used by the German U-boats the British (am I allowed to use British in this case Steph? LOL) managed to capture one (I think in 1941 or so)-then several others were captured (UK, Canada, US) as the war went on. The movie U-571 is a BAD movie that is about the capturing of the Enigma machine. It is bad because it makes it look like the first one captured was done by Americans when we didn't get one until 1944. So in the end, the Allies were able to break a lot of the German codes without the Germans even knowing the Allies were doing it, which was a HUGE deal. And so ends my history lesson on the Enigma machine.

However, Hodgins couldn't possibly have the last two as I'm sure there is an Engima machine in one of the museums in England (not sure which one, but think there is one that has something to do with Alan Turing...) and they also just auctioned one in England last year that sold for 85,000 pounds. But that kind of embellishment in the show I can live with because it was a cute way to use a machine that had a very important part in history and VERY Hodgins like! :) Now he can auction off his two and not be that poor anymore. HAHAHAHA

Oh as for the lung biopsy, the fact that it was just Hodgins and Angela, I understood that. Because Cam would not have let them do it, nor would she have done the biopsy. I kind of liked that Angela was willing to do that for Hodgins, with such a slim chance that they would get anything out of it. I do wish they had mentioned it later to someone else once he knew what the gas was, but I guess time issues were why that didn't happen. :)

And I also loved Hodgins in the scene with Sweets (gasp LOL) because he's all manic and TJ does that so well. And TJ's crazy poofy hair he has now just made him seem even more insane at the time. Like the evil scientist. LOL
word count: 483

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Oh no, Sharon, I realized the machine was smoking because of lack of use. That's what I thought was hilarious. All these current agents are probably so used to high-tech materials, and here they have to use this odd little machine and it's smoking and no one knows if it's because it's broken or because it's working or where the smell is coming from or whatever. Heeeee. That was a fun point in the episode. :D

I meant how did Pelant access their burner phones? How did he even know they had them? How could he find connection to them even if he figured they might get some? I thought that was highly convenient.

But yes, Hodgins as mad scientist is a hilarious look for him. And I've always liked when he gets intense and hyper, so this was a good episode for TJ. (One of my favorite lines he's ever spoken came from Hodgins freaking out, during The Blonde in the Game: "I can't just guess! I have a process!" I LOVE that line. It says so much about him as a character.)

P.S. Look at you getting all historical with your facts about the Enigma machine. Your advisor is an idiot and should have let you get that history minor. :eusa-snooty:
word count: 221
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Oops, was logged in as tjadmin and posted. Didn't mean to do that so deleted that post and re-posting as me! LOL
Sinkwriter72 wrote:Oh no, Sharon, I realized the machine was smoking because of lack of use. That's what I thought was hilarious. All these current agents are probably so used to high-tech materials, and here they have to use this odd little machine and it's smoking and no one knows if it's because it's broken or because it's working or where the smell is coming from or whatever. Heeeee. That was a fun point in the episode. :D

Ohhhhhhhhhh, at first I thought Pelant smoked the Enigma machine so thought that was what you meant. LOL
Sinkwriter72 wrote:I meant how did Pelant access their burner phones? How did he even know they had them? How could he find connection to them even if he figured they might get some? I thought that was highly convenient.

No clue, but I guess he's so techy he could do that without them having to explain it to us how he did it. I'm not even sure what a burner phone is in the first place, so no clue about that at all! LOL
Sinkwriter72 wrote:But yes, Hodgins as mad scientist is a hilarious look for him. And I've always liked when he gets intense and hyper, so this was a good episode for TJ. (One of my favorite lines he's ever spoken came from Hodgins freaking out, during The Blonde in the Game: "I can't just guess! I have a process!" I LOVE that line. It says so much about him as a character.)

I love that scene too! I like how Angela calms him down and gets him to figure it out. :)
Sinkwriter72 wrote:P.S. Look at you getting all historical with your facts about the Enigma machine. Your advisor is an idiot and should have let you get that history minor. :eusa-snooty:
HAHAHA She was all snooty about it too, like it was the dumbest thing she'd ever heard. Not sure how it would hurt HER but whatever. And I didn't even have to look up what the Enigma machine was, I knew it as soon as Hodgins said it! ;)

By the way, a bit of another Bones connection, Stephen Fry has often talked about Alan Turing on Twitter, and I think he is the reason I know there is a Enigma machine somewhere in a museum in England, because he posted a picture of it once. :D
word count: 434

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

skftex wrote:Actually omelette, corporations don't give a huge chunk of money at the beginning of the year.
See? I didn't know that at all, thank you for explaining me.
If those are the facts, I guess this will be an unresolved issue, even if A&H are going to have their money back. But I guess it's impossible that every aspect of a particular storyline is perfect, with no flaws :)
And because of all of this I have finally realized what my main problem with Pelant is, it isn't just that they keep trying to convince us he is smarter than Brennan, Hodgins, Angela, Booth, Cam and Sweets put together, though that bothers me because he IS NOT that smart, or he'd never have fallen for the lets spam him and confuse him bit. It is that they have never really given us a reason he is so intent on messing with the people in the Jeffersonian.
About that I disagree, just because we don't know his reasons doesn't mean those reasons are not believable. We just don't know...yet.
And he doesn't want to mess with Governments or start world war III, because he has a pretty specific target, we do not understand his behavior, but he is concentrating all his efforts targeting our beloved team. It's not interested in nothing else. Why?
That's the reason I'm trilled... I want to know why!
And yes, I thought TJ was brilliant in it but honestly when has he NOT been brlilliant? Even with the not so intense stuff.
About that we totally agree, even though I personally think he is even brilliant when intense stuff is in the air! LOL

Edit: I loved the Enigma machines! I read a book, years ago, called "Enigma", that was all about encrypted codes and those machines, it was pretty interesting!
word count: 320

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

omelette73 wrote:
skftex wrote:Actually omelette, corporations don't give a huge chunk of money at the beginning of the year.
See? I didn't know that at all, thank you for explaining me.
If those are the facts, I guess this will be an unresolved issue, even if A&H are going to have their money back. But I guess it's impossible that every aspect of a particular storyline is perfect, with no flaws :)[/color]
No problem. But you do see why we think that there would be immediate impact for the Jeffersonian now. Of course we do not know how that is going to be dealt with yet, but I don't think they are going to make it to the extreme that I think it would be if this were a REAL company suddenly going under. LOL

omelette73 wrote:About that I disagree, just because we don't know his reason doesn't mean those reason are not believable. We just don't know...yet.
And he doesn't want to mess with Governments or start world war III, because he has a pretty specific target, we do not understand his behavior, but he is concentrating all his efforts targeting our beloved team. It's not interested in nothing else. Why?
That's the reason I'm trilled... I want to know why!
Well that is my point, they haven't given us enough to even HINT at why, so I find it all so unbelievable that he'd only care about messing with these 6 people. In any story they have to at least give you something to keep interest, and in my case, they haven't given enough! I don't think they need to give everything away, just give us a little better explanation than we were originally given, because with the skills they keep giving him, and how smart they claim he is, it seems like by now he'd be bored with them. So give me a little more in WHY, not all the why but just maybe a hint??? I'm just not believing enough of it to enjoy the Pelant storyline at all. For me this is a big problem. I've actually liked a lot of season 8 but get disappointed with the convoluted Pelant stuff every time. :(
word count: 390

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

skftex wrote:No clue, but I guess he's so techy he could do that without them having to explain it to us how he did it. I'm not even sure what a burner phone is in the first place, so no clue about that at all! LOL
I think you have to watch a lot of cop shows or spy shows. :icon-mrgreen: A burner phone is a cheap cell phone you can buy without contract or even putting your name attached to it in any way. You can add minutes to it, use it for your shady purposes (or, in this case, Booth keeping in contact with the team without being tracked) and then toss it when you're done. You 'burn' it, as in throw it away once it's served its purpose. Bad guys on shows use them so no one can trace them when they're calling for ransom, calling each other with updates to their nasty plans, or for whatever nefarious purposes. Good guys can use them too, especially if they're trying to stay under the radar because their lives are in danger, as the team's lives were in this episode.
skftex wrote:HAHAHA She was all snooty about it too, like it was the dumbest thing she'd ever heard. Not sure how it would hurt HER but whatever. And I didn't even have to look up what the Enigma machine was, I knew it as soon as Hodgins said it! ;)
I don't even understand that 'reasoning' of hers. If anything, you'd think they'd be all over getting as much money out of you as they could, in paying for classes, so what's ONE extra class on your roster? Ridiculous. Plus, having more well-rounded training can only help you in your quest for jobs! And then there's the added bonus of this thing called ENJOYMENT?! LOL. You clearly enjoy history and are very knowledgeable with it, so why not allow you to enjoy your final semester of school? I would have argued with her. :D

P.S. to Omelette -- don't let our arguments bring you down. :icon-mrgreen: I think Sharon and I (and some of the posters that have been here the longest) have had many a discussion about what types of thorough storytelling we enjoy, so we're probably pretty jaded when it comes to Hart's follow-through. In the most recent seasons, he just hasn't followed through with certain plots the way we thought he should, and it made the story the poorer for it. So we're probably a little more leery in believing that next week they'll come back and show the Jeffersonian in any way affected by losing almost all its funding. It can get pretty frustrating. But trust me, we bitch about it because we care. LOL. We want the show to be the very best it can be, overall and so TJ can get to do fun and amazing storylines, and it's frustrating and sad when things fall short of that high goal.
word count: 518

omelette73
Super Fan

Post by omelette73 »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:
skftex wrote:
P.S. to Omelette -- don't let our arguments bring you down. :icon-mrgreen: I think Sharon and I (and some of the posters that have been here the longest) have had many a discussion about what types of thorough storytelling we enjoy, so we're probably pretty jaded when it comes to Hart's follow-through. In the most recent seasons, he just hasn't followed through with certain plots the way we thought he should, and it made the story the poorer for it. So we're probably a little more leery in believing that next week they'll come back and show the Jeffersonian in any way affected by losing almost all its funding. It can get pretty frustrating. But trust me, we bitch about it because we care. LOL. We want the show to be the very best it can be, overall and so TJ can get to do fun and amazing storylines, and it's frustrating and sad when things fall short of that high goal.
LOL it's impossible to bring me down, believe me.

In our Bones Italian Forum we discuss about every single episode...a lot!
You'd be surprised by the amount of pages we have written speaking about the show, and everyone has their personal opinion about what they like or do not like.
Believe me, I'm not a newbie when it comes to discuss Bones, and I have my amount of disappointments and enthusiasms too, so basically you don't have to worry about that at all, but thank you for saying, I appreciate that.
I just like to talk about the things I love, even if - or probably even more - when my opinions do not coincide with others :)
word count: 293

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

omelette73 wrote:I just like to talk about the things I love, even if - or probably even more - when my opinions do not coincide with others :)
You are in the right place, then. :icon-mrgreen:

Actually, there's a line from a show I used to watch that I'm reminded of in reading what you just posted. It's a show called Sports Night (although the showrunner who wrote it -- Aaron Sorkin -- also used it again in his next show The West Wing). One of the main characters gives this awesome speech to one of his employees, where he says this:

"It's taken me a lot of years, but I've come around to this: if you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people.
"If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

I've always loved that saying, because it seems to speak about wanting the mental challenge of it, so that you can consider things from all angles and consider things you hadn't even thought of but someone else might. That's what I love about a good discussion.

So, whether or not any of us agree with one another, thanks for being willing to have a good discussion! :D
word count: 206
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Something I was interested to see in this episode, Hodgins was still wearing the rubber band. I know TJ says that he has had it in every episode, along with the watch and the badge, but we don't see it that much really so wasn't sure it was still around. It is the first time I think I've seen it this season, he is usually so layered up and long sleeves. I do wonder when Hodgins will finally not need the rubber band anymore, but I suppose the events from this episode might make him have to use it a few times. I do wish we would see him snapping it every once in a while since he is still wearing it-though I guess it isn't so easy on TJ's wrist when he has to do that! : :eusa-shifty:
word count: 143

AmyLynn
Fan

Post by AmyLynn »

I am really glad that I am not the only one who has some negative feelings about the whole Pelant thing. I honestly have not liked the Pelant storyline or the episodes that deal with it. I get so frustrated that he has that much 'power' and is seemingly untouchable. Ugh!!
I also had big problems with the entire money loss plot. It's just not plausable to me. It was mentioned that Hart wasn't happy that he made Jack so rich...why? I like that idea...lol Hot and Loaded...what's wrong with that? lol
I haven't had time to read all the comments, so if this has been brought up, ignore me...lol But I have a question that has been bugging me. I have not missed a single show, so unless I'm just loosing it in my old age... was the whole thing with him changing the alarm clock in Brennan and Booth's room in last season's finale ever explained? Did I miss something, cause I'm still trying to figure out what that was all about and usually I catch on to things fairly well. So if I missed something can someone please point it out to me??
And thank you for pointing out the rubberband...lol I am constantly rewatching my seasons 1-6 (haven't gotten seven yet, I'm a little behind there) and I keep saying I have to watch for it in the recent shows and see if he still has it, but once the show is on...my attention is not on his wrist....lol So now I know.
I am hoping that the Pelant storyline will soon come to an end because it's getting old and frustrating!
word count: 295

AmyLynn
Fan

Post by AmyLynn »

And remind me not to use that color font again..yuck...that is way too dark...lol
word count: 17

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Yes, that color is a bit dark but I just highlight and read, because that will make it white. :)

First off, no you did not miss anything, unless I completely missed it too, they haven't addressed Pelant being in their house AT ALL. :?

If you want to look for the rubber band in this episode, it is very visible when Cam is taking Hodgins blood. He's wearing a short sleeve t-shirt at that point, and they did a good angle where I could see it very clearly. :) I will admit, I don't always remember to look for it, but this time I had just thought about the rubber band and asking TJ about it about so it was on my mind at that time. Now that I think about it, I wonder if he is wearing it in the opening scene, since he isn't wearing long sleeves then...does Hodgins wear his rubber band to bed? HAHAHAHA

Oh and I only have seasons 1-6 too, because I wait for the prices to go waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy down. I'm hoping that some of the stores have them this year around Christmas like they did last year, for less than $10! Then I can get season 7. LOL
word count: 211

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

What an intense episode! I loved every minute of it. I honestly think that it was one of the best episodes of the whole series!

TJ did an incredible job on this episode. He makes me truly believe his character; Hodgins’ fear and desperate protectiveness of his family as well as proving how huge his heart is by giving up his fortune for some unknown girls (although, I would hope that most decent human beings would do the same). TJ just continues to get better and better. :eusa-clap:

I know that my opinion differs from most here but I’ve liked the Pelant storyline from the beginning. I love the puzzles, codes, messages that have to be interpreted, etc. that Pelant provides. He really challenges all of the characters and brings out their best work. A perfect example is the team being able to work without computers or electronics of any type, and they just BARELY missed catching him. I look forward to finding out what Pelant did with the alarm clock and why he’s targeting the team.

I can see both sides to the previous discussion concerning Hodgins losing his money. It should play a major part to the Jeffersonian’s funding, however per Hart’s interview, they’re going to focus more on how this will affect Angela and Hodgins, and less on the Jeffersonian. The writers have to choose which aspects they want to focus on and at the time that this episode was filming, it hadn’t yet been confirmed that they would be back for Season 9. I admit that it leaves a pretty big hole but maybe they had other stories that they felt were more important to tell.

Caroline! I love her! As serious as this episode was, I am always delighted to see her in an episode. She always has something quick and witty to say.

I noticed Hodgins’ rubberband in the blood draw scene, but I didn’t realize that he had been wearing it this whole time! I thought that once he got married and had a baby he wouldn’t need it anymore. I wouldn’t think that he would have any more anger management issues, other that the whole Pelant choking incident, but that was perfectly understandable. :icon-lol: I’ll have to pay more attention when I watch older episodes to see if I can spot it.
word count: 400
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

One thing I always liked about Jack being wealthy is that it helped with the whole angle of differences between Booth and the original squints. In the beginning, there was a wonderful (and fun) difference in that the squints were so smart and Booth was a different kind of smart (go-with-his-gut smart). I loved how they slowly began to appreciate one another's talents and strengths. And with Jack being rich, that brought another level of conflict (and therefore dynamic energy) between Booth and Hodgins, because Hodgins wasn't just super-smart but also had grown up in a different financial bracket than Booth ever could have conceived as a kid, so I thought that was fascinating. I thought it opened up all sorts of ways in which Booth and Hodgins could butt heads but also find ways to understand one another beyond those differences (especially that money isn't everything and that there's nothing wrong with being smart, either gut-smart or book-smart).

So I don't really understand why Hart would have such an issue with Hodgins being wealthy. I think that bit of information about him created a (pardon the pun) wealth of opportunities for both his character and Booth's. In fact, I wish we got to see Booth connect with Hodgins more often. They used to, but ever since Sweets came on the scene, it's like that Hodgins-Booth relationship went out the window. That's a disappointment to me. They were always so dynamic in their scenes together. I always wanted to see more scenes of Hodgins having to go into the field with Booth, like when he did in that one episode where the refrigerator blew up (Brennan's, I think?) and Booth was injured and Hodgins ended up having to come with him when Booth finally figured out the case. Those scenes with the two of them in the hospital when Jack came to visit him, or when Jack drove Booth to the scene of the crime where Brennan was being held captive... those scenes were rich with interesting character development. To me, anyway. I miss that.

P.S. to Sharon, I went back and looked -- Hodgins is not wearing his rubber band on either wrist in the opening bedroom scene. Makes sense that he would take it off for sleeping. Kind of like taking off a wristwatch, I suppose. :D
word count: 404

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

The best beloved and I sat and watched this on Wednesday night with increasing disbelief.

I'm just going to echo Sharon and Sherry on this; they have said everything that I said when I saw the episode. In fact, I am whizzed back mentally to everything I have felt about the serial killer arcs on Bones in the past. Why, why the ridiculously complex and convoluted codes and puzzles? What if they hadn't worked things out? Would everything still have happened the same way? If Pelant wanted to empty Hodgins' bank accounts, why not just do it, without all this ludicrous killing to provide hints? Anagrams. Cryptic crosswordy clues to put our heroes to the test. Honestly. They haven't sketched this guy as a real enough character for me to be convinced that it's just his warped mind at work. I mean, what about the practicalities? How does he get this flayed body onto the bed canopy in exactly the position he wants (anybody care about the victim btw?!) Not only would it have taken him hours, but wouldn’t Hodgins and Angela have been covered in blood before he was finished, never mind a drop or two on Jack’s nose as he awoke? And then the identification of the mysterious drug used to put them out; biopsying their own lungs really does seem a bit bizarre and far-fetched. What a useful coincidence that this helped lead them in to Serberus.

TJ was brilliant in this, bringing back fantastic memories of his anger management issues and his despair over the Gravedigger. But even he didn’t alleviate my doubts. I have hated every serial killer apart from Epps, just because I don’t believe in them. I know one has to suspend disbelief, I really do know it’s just a show, but burying a car out in the desert without an awful lot of machines and a large number of accomplices? Secret societies and bits of people being assembled to form a skeleton? Complex codes in saliva? The invariable targeting of a small group of people when it would plainly be more intelligent to apply one’s skills and malice more profitably? Really, Hart? Really?
word count: 372
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro