Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by ThyneAlone »

One of the main problems with all the parenting advice flying round in our time is that we start to lose confidence in our decisions and turn to 'experts' for assistance - which is yet more confusing, or even distressing.

This will be what you already know but can always use a little reinforcement: follow your instincts. You know the child best, as well as the web of experiences, people and support which surround her. No doctor or teacher can know her that well. Hope you both have fun!

Personally I tend to be a bit blasé about extremely expensive royal pageantry, but it's good to see enthusiasm during an economic downturn, and a wedding is particularly symbolic of hope and optimism for the future. It will also look fantastic. I'll be interested to see the dress; Diana's didn't suit her at all and she looked uncomfortable in it, which I suppose presaged the unease the marriage was to bring. Fingers crossed that Kate looks radiant and relaxed. :)
word count: 171
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Don't you just love a monday off!?!?!!!!! HAPPY EASTER, again! Oh, and I'm off the whole week! YAY! :dance:

I will watch a bit of the royal wedding, too, I think. Also curious about the dress!
word count: 37
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Haha! Have you read up on what she has to stop doing/can't do, once she's in the family?

I admit.. I'm very interested in the dress as well. haha.
word count: 33
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

No, haven't read it, Kayleigh. But I think there's a lot on that list! Must be hard sometimes. :?
word count: 20

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi all!
Well, today's the day. No, not the Royal wedding, sillies; the chat! It has to be said I have only a peripheral interest in this (no, not the chat - the wedding!), although the pageantry is fantastic and I know hubby will be drawn by the military display and I will love the choral singing. I don't get especially excited about royal events, though I am not cynical as some are! I guess I'll watch some of it, as I am still curious about the dress :) .

Chat; after a wonderful day off from work I'll be putting up the thread in Talk TJ shortly before 1pm Pacific, which is English 9pm, Western Europe 10pm, Australia 6 tomorrow morning? Please read it as it will reiterate the rules we need to abide by. As far as questions are concerned, I'll request them from those who have stated definite intent to ask a question starting with those who haven't had one answered before and proceeding to pull-out-of-the-bag! Of course everyone can come in and comment and talk even if you haven't got a question; I'll just interrupt when I think another one is due. Many thanks to all, particularly to TJ for putting this time aside just for us!
word count: 220

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Steph! Its 10 pm for Western Europe and 6 am for our Australians! I'm not interested in the wedding either, woke up and there they are though, all over my yahoo news! Sigh.
word count: 34
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ooops apols - duly edited.

I know why I did that. I was thinking about the chat being between 9 & 11 for me so absentmindedly put 11 instead of 10 as a start time, sorry to our European cousins.

As for Australia, I was just going by what Ali said in the chatbox, being aware that Australia has its own different time zones and that their DST starts when ours ends & vice versa!

Trust I'll be more awake this evening...sore throat has returned with a vengeance so I'm not 100% brain-in-gear...
word count: 95

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

I'm so glad we have FB and Twitter. I can see just enough of the Royal Wedding coverage to satisfy my curiosity without having to get up early to watch it. I don't sleep enough as it is; there's no way I'm getting up at 4 am unless my kids are awake! I thought the dress was lovely though...although if it were me I'd probably pick her sister's dress for my own wedding :)

Happy my ex said he wanted to get the kids this afternoon, just in time for the chat. :dance:

Like that Sharon and other peeps are starting to put their own pictures up...Thinking about it but I'm dying my hair later this morning so it could be scary! :shock:
word count: 129
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

hm. pacific time? So doesn't that make it now?
I'm confused. lol.
word count: 14

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

I have just realized that I thought backwards. I'm 3 hours ahead of pacific time, I believe. Hahaha.
I need to sleep more.
word count: 24

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I am always doing that, especially on the chatbox!!!
word count: 9

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Haha I feel dumb.
I set an alarm and everything.
And then the site was abandoned when I got here and I was like O.o
Oh. Ooops.
word count: 28

~*Ali*~
Super Fan

Post by ~*Ali*~ »

For me if it’s night here it will always be day there. lol That how I work it. lol :clap:
word count: 20

~*Ali*~
Super Fan

Post by ~*Ali*~ »

ThyneAlone wrote:Ooops apols - duly edited.

I know why I did that. I was thinking about the chat being between 9 & 11 for me so absentmindedly put 11 instead of 10 as a start time, sorry to our European cousins.

As for Australia, I was just going by what Ali said in the chatbox, being aware that Australia has its own different time zones and that their DST starts when ours ends & vice versa!

Trust I'll be more awake this evening...sore throat has returned with a vengeance so I'm not 100% brain-in-gear...

It was 6am for Ang in Sydney and 7am for me in Bris as we don’t have DLS.
word count: 116

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Thanks Ali, I had quite a strong feeling that something like that was the case. Confusingly there are quite a few countries where DST doesn't apply. I know almost all of South Africa is without it for instance.
word count: 39

delphiekat
Super Fan

Post by delphiekat »

Even more confusing - Sharon correct me if I'm wrong - but some states don't follow DST, I think Arizona is one of them
word count: 24

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Arizona is the only one that doesn't so their time is either Mountain and Pacific time.

But imagine this, at one time PARTS of Indiana didn't have DST. So one county used it, the next over might not, the one after that uses it, that can really mess you up! (Ask Toby, Josh and Donna from the West Wing! HAHAHAHAHAHA) But I believe that they no longer do that and all of Indiana now has DST.

I actually thought Ali and Ange were in the same place in Australia so when I saw Ange say it was 6 am for her I thought that covered Ali as well. But now know they are not in the same city-I know I should have known it before but well I didn't remember! LOL
word count: 135
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

Hey hey hey!
How are you all? Let me sit a little bit on this sofa... Just the time for me to relax, a little break in my work :-) :sleeping-sleep:
... Ooooh... Much better now :mrgreen:
Ok, here are the little news in my little world since last time I came here :-)

:techie-computer: Well nothing really exciting or interesting, been working a lot yesterday and today... Well, I still have some work but not as much as yesterday and I feel that my brain is melting, some kine of intellectual regression...
Whatever, I have some news that could become interesting if things take a good twist. One of my coworkers told me to send a resume to a director in Rennes who could need an assistant within the 2 coming months for a long term contract... He told her about me and she seemed interested as I allready know the work and so, she told him that I should send her a resume... That would be great!!!

So, today, my main work was to send this resume, of course :-) Which I did and I really hope to be contacted soon. I know she is very busy and that it may take a little time. But it's done, so I just have to be patient and wait :-) I'll let you know if something good comes out of all this :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Ok, so now I still have other things to do, so I think it's time to go back to my duties...

:techie-hiding:
word count: 248
The waffle conspiracy...

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Still very sad that I wasn't at the chat. :cry: TJ is so amazing spending a bit of his time with us. But I was in Düsseldorf at a convention. Well, you can't have it all. Next time I will be there. Would have been easier with a notebook. Maybe I buy myself one. Haven't read the chat thread yet. I will do it tomorrow. Maybe then I will be less emotional...and less tired. (Had to go to work today, and it sucked. Need to change something!)

None the less I had a great time at the convention. Maybe I will bore you all with a report next weekend. :wink: :) We'll see.
word count: 116

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

For those of you who haven't read it on facebook, I had a car accident on Thursday. :auto-crash: I bumped into the car in front of me, because... well, because I was stupid! :angry-banghead: I actually don't know why this happend. I just haven't seen that the car in front of me slowed down. Sh**! Really angry about myself. I'm ok, and the woman in the other car, too. But my car is broken. Still don't know if it can be repaired. Would only makes sense if we get used parts. New parts would be too expensive. The car is now 15 years old. Guess I will get some information on Monday. I really love my car. It would be very sad to lose it. ...and it is my fault! :(
word count: 133