Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by ThyneAlone »

Oh God Sharon I am so sorry. Don't know what else to say. Can't imagine why I didn't spot this earlier. And am ridiculously feeling that I want to help - like how could I, ever?

We love you and feel devastated for your family, especially your brother. We are here for you if you need us.

Steph xxxxxxxxxx
word count: 61
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

....I haven't been in here in ages. I'm sorry :c Life has been REALLY hectic. Those of you who are on my facebook know I've been complaining a lot lately.. lol.
There are some things I feel no need to broadcast all over the place, so I will keep it short. I am dating someone on parole, and his parole officer and counselor have been jerking us around.. On a VERY short leash. So I've been, well, less than happy. He's a wonderful man, and made a stupid mistake..
He's working on things, and admits what he did was stupid. We're trying to make it through this.
Work has finally picked up hours, so I've also been working a lot.
I moved in with my cousin and her boyfriend, things got weird at my aunt's house.
My sister just turned 16, and having pretty much raised her, it's been stressful.
Good news? I have none. Lol. My car is still falling apart, and I have no money to buy another one. So I'm just hoping it doesn't die before I can come up with the money to get another...
I've been sick on and off... blah blah blah.

Anyway.
/hugs for Sharon
I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your Sister-in-law. That's horrible.
My thoughts are with you and your brother. You know we're all here for you when you need us.
I'll try to read up on everyone's lives over the past few months over the next few days. <3
word count: 272
Aha! Unidentified particulates. The two sweetest words I know.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Kayleigh! Sorry you are having so many problems. Hope things start working out for you. And thanks for the rest. My test is over, but I have a lot of stuff to do this weekend so don't know how much I'll be on, but hopefully some and hope some people start showing up here more often. :(
word count: 59
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Sharon--I'm so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law, that's so scary. :cry: Hugs to you and your family. And,of course, as everyone else has said, you can talk/rant all you want here.

Kayleigh--I really hope things look up for you soon! You often make me smile/laugh with some of the things you share on FB so thanks for that!

Well...not much happening here really. Working my fingers off lately trying to get enough $$ for my move to Florida. Crazy kids are still crazy. :D

I'm going make use of my Hulu and watch all of this season's Bones episodes before Monday. With it being on so early here it was hard to concentrate on them with my kids being awake, so they're all a blur. Maybe I'll throw some reviews up too.
word count: 144
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

I plan on being here more often.. I know I just vanished for awhile. :icon-sad:

I WANT TO MOVE TO FLORIDA. TAKE ME WITH YOU?
I'll keep your house clean and your kids fed. xD
word count: 35

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

I WANT TO MOVE TO FLORIDA. TAKE ME WITH YOU?
I'll keep your house clean and your kids fed. xD
So essentially a nanny/housekeeper eh? :eusa-think: I can't pay you but there would be free WiFi. :D
word count: 38
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sharon, I'm so sorry! That's awful and so sad! Sorry I wasn't here for a while. Just read it! My sincere condolences. How are you holding up?
All the best to you and yor family! Thinking of you!
word count: 41

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Echoing those thoughts again, Sharon. Hi Simone! Long time no see! Great to talk to you again.

Well, as you all know, I have been out of touch for a week in Mayenne in France. The weather was so gorgeous and the outings so delightful that the baggage of 28 9-11 year-olds didn't seem quite the stress it had promised to be; but the 17-hour journey by coach and ferry was more than exhausting and when I returned home (at 2.30 Saturday morning by the way!) the prospect lay before me of 3 really heavy Easter services singing at church. I am now recovering from all of the latter. Ie, only just out of bed and aching all over. Since one of our excursions was to a small family chocolaterie I am also suffering from cocoa poisoning. Belated Happy Easter to all.

It's really annoying that Bones has started up again in my absence!! I do hope you lot are going to be kind and give me the reviews I crave, as I haven't yet found a good alternative to the late lamented Megavideo and Sky Living will linger some time before airing it, I'm sure.

Missed you guys. Hope all is well with you all and will definitely see you around.
word count: 220

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi Everyone

it's been ages since I've been on here, kinda fell out with 'Bones' for a while and lost a bit of contact with what TJ has been up to but I've started watching the show again now (btw Steph if you check out sidereel the day after the US screening you can usually catch a link that works for a few hours). Been watching Warehouse 13 a lot and doing the blogs on Syfy.co.uk but that is on hiatus at the moment while they film season 4.

Sharon I just wanted to say I am so sorry about your sister-in-law it's terrible when anyone dies but when it's so sudden the complete shock is horrendous as well. Love to you and yours.

I've had a different few months. My dad, who is 91 now, fell and broke his hip last October. It was fixed but he has not been able to regain the ability to walk and whilst he was in hospital the slight forgetfulness increased and he does not remember much anymore. Due to everything he is now in care. I am still in the house but I have to be aware that if it is eventually sold the balance of the £550 per week fees will be owed.

My dad has been more clingy over the past few years and I think as a result I've been more susceptible to being ill; I've had laryngitis twice and a really bad chest infection; as a result I'd had about 8 weeks off sick in 3 years and work decided to fire me in March. The good news is that as they recognise the problems have been due to issues with my dad they have agreed some compensation so I'm taking a bit of time to develop my writing and I'm in the process of setting up my own blog. Hopefully I'm going to do some voluntary work too before I look for future employment.

Still loving the quizzzes, I was on one a couple of weeks back; I didn't win but it was cool watching myself on TV.

Anyway that's my news, hi and love to all.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 383

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Ang - sounds perfect! I'll cook too. Unless you like to cook. We can take turns. (:

Steph - things seem crazy over there! Hope you're remembering to have fun!!
I'm actually just catching up on Bones right now, and should write a review or two the next time I watch the episodes... You know me and my need to watch them over and over!!
can't wait til we can see you more often (:

Jude - I'm sorry you've been so sick, I hope that things look up. And I'm also sorry about the job... hoping the writing works out!! I know I'd love to stop getting writers' block and get some of my stuff done. haha.
Hope all is well where you are. (:

As for me?
John and I broke up. And now hours at work are going back down... Seems things just couldn't stay good.
My grandmother's cancer has moved into her bones and organs as well. So that's another.... stressful bit.
Good news is that I haven't been sick in awhile, and I have some Bones and Supernatural to catch up on, and a handful of books to read to keep me busy.
Not to mention the weird dreams I've been having lately. They sure do help with my writer's block. (:

Hope to see more posts when I come back in a day or so.

hugs, love, and all that good stuff to everyone! :romance-heartstiny:
word count: 247

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Hello :greetings-waveyellow:...

Well, bad news Kayleigh--Florida isn't going to happen, at least not this year. :( There is just no way I can get the money together in time. Owe too much in taxes again. Plus, I found out they don't have a prekindergarten program that I can afford for my youngest (it's free here). I've also had a nagging feeling in my gut about it for a while now, like it's not the right thing to do or something bad would happen when I got down there. Oh well... I need to figure out where to find some happiness and not sure moving is the key. I suppose I'll figure it out someday :).

Some of you probably saw that I got off Facebook and Twitter (this is likely temporary as I'm already missing it). But I have been a lot more productive! I'm trying to focus more on getting some artwork done. My family is on me to paint murals and such for people, but I really need to get some practice and a decent portfolio together first. People tell me I'm good but I feel hopelessly untalented when I see the stuff others can do.

What else...if you follow Castle and Stana Katic at all you've probably heard of the Alternative Travel Project. Basically, it's an initiative to give your cars up and walk, ride your bike, etc. I actually cut way back on my car usage and managed to go 35 days on a single tank of gas (I'd normally use 2+), so I was pretty psyched about that. I LOVE walking or biking everywhere too, really clears my head. It's just a little more complicated with kids sometimes. Need to whip them into shape a bit :wink:

I'm still keeping up with Bones, but I'll always be 8 days behind since Fox locks their site. :evil:

Hope things start looking up for everyone soon! ((hugs))
word count: 332

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Ang - Awh. :c Well my dear, I hope so too!
And not for my fantasy of getting out of dodge. But because you seemed to excited!! I think Pre-K is expensive here, too. But that's NY for you. I hate this place sometimes. lol.
I've seen Vero's art, but I've never seen yours. ;o I'd love to, if that's not a bother.
I have been cutting back on my driving, too. But it hasn't all been with my consent. I live in an apartment complex. It's basically 3 apartments to one unit, and they're all next to each other and across the way from each other, so parking is a bit tight; especially since there are 3 cars to this apartment.
Well, there are also pine trees across the way from my house, and we don't like to park under it because the birds like to poop on your car. So we practically fight for the spots directly in front of the apartments.
Well, the woman and her boyfriend next door, who ALWAY park in the spot in front of their door and in front of our door were really pissing me off. So I parked in front of our door, and so did Ally (my cousin). So the woman had to park back further. Well, yesterday, my cousin's car was gone. So when we came back, she was parked 2 inches behind my car, facing it, and then his Jeep was parked about 3 inches away from the front of my car,, also facing it. They parked me in.
Lol. I hate people.
That's my whine/rant of the day. (:

I hope everyone is doing alright, and it's as beautiful where you are as it is where I am... Even though I have to go to work in 20 minutes, and work until 930. :angry-banghead:
Have a lovely day everyone!
word count: 324

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

HOLY MOTHER OF WHAT THE HELL!?!?!

It's been trying to rain for a little while this late evening, and all of a sudden the sky just split open with the loudest, longest crack-n-rumble of thunder I've heard in a long while. It made me jump and clap my hands over my ears, I was so not expecting that!

And then I curled up into some weird back-to-my-childhood protective pose with my hands tucked under my chin, and I said, "EEEEEEE!"

Yikes. :shock: That was a little scary. I want my mommy.

I am such a big baby.

:icon-mrgreen:

Seriously, I am surprised we haven't lost power or something. The storm is really disturbing right now.
word count: 121

kayleigh_marie
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by kayleigh_marie »

Oh wow! That's insane.
I probably would have done something similar.
With a few expletives added... Haha.
Hope all went well!
word count: 22

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

A few downed tree branches, big and small, but nothing truly terrible. Thankfully.
word count: 13

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hey Sherry, that sounds seriously awful. I'm so glad there weren't any casualties. The weather here doesn't 'do' extremes on the whole – you know the kind of thing, we complain of being too hot when it’s only in the seventies! – and recently we have simply been experiencing depressing, grey rain. Nothing dramatic, nothing scary, just discomfort and chill. After the delightful noonday heat in Northern France and occasional brilliant blue skies here over Easter, silhouetting blossom and magnolia, it’s dreary to be back in shivery damp. Still, can’t complain; I’d have resented the imminent return to school tomorrow far more if it had been a warm, golden day.

This has been a strange vacation, as in not really being a vacation! Apart from the school trip I have been into work three days running for 4 or 5 hours at a time, training up worried pupils individually for their language speaking tests in a couple of weeks, compiled an exam, prepared a big PowerPoint for a presentation on Friday, written up minutes of meetings, fulfilled massive church choir commitments (last week was a big Titanic memorial service with a specially-composed anthem dedicated to chief engineer on the ship Joseph Bell, who lived locally) and done a very large pile of marking. Admittedly I have had some lie-ins and a day out in Chester, and I certainly didn’t have to do much housework because my boys had buffed the entire house to a gleaming state while I was off in France; but I don’t know that I’ve relaxed a great deal. It hasn’t helped that my brother is still very stressed looking after my dad and has mysterious arm and chest pains plus high BP, or that my husband’s cousin has just had a cancerous tumour removed from her brain.

Jude, I’m sorry to hear about your dad and your job obviously, but you sounded really positive when I texted you about it so I hope the break does you good and enables you to do something with your writing. Trust you enjoyed the Liverpool-Everton semi-final! It’s always an emotional and difficult time in our mixed-loyalty household after one of these clashes. Son no.1 required much alcohol and many hugs while no.2 was jubilant. Fingers crossed for the final though I gather the rail people are carrying out works over that weekend which will make it very hard for the Scousers to get down to see it and then to get home afterwards. Typical!

Ang, that’s a bummer about Florida, but if your instinct tells you it could be a mistake it’s probably right. It does sound to be an expensive move anyway. I look forward to seeing some of your artwork. We are a creative little bunch here!

Kayleigh, sounds like life is treating you pretty badly. Having to move out and then illness, work probs and a relationship breakup are a horrible and highly stressful combination, so be kind to yourself and get some serious pamper and relaxation time in – as far as you can. I am jumping up and down with indignation and sympathy about your parking difficulties. I love living where we do but the one drawback is the number of idiots who park illegally at the end of our cul-de-sac, making it nearly impossible to get out, not to mention the people who block our driveway with large vans. I don’t drive myself – I have mild epilepsy and get no ‘warnings’ of seizures, although it’s been more than a decade since I had one – but the 2 boys are both now learning, the elder actually picking up again after taking a course of lessons 4 years ago before embarking on his uni course and the younger starting from scratch. It will be an advantage to them both in their job search, but we might well have to win the lottery to finance their insurance once they pass their test. I agree that using the car less is a definite step in the right direction, and hopefully the lads will be mindful of this if tempted to drive for short journeys.

Well, like I said, back to work tomorrow. The next 3 weeks will be hellish, but after that the exam classes go on leave and I will have time to breathe again, so I’ll be more available. Also catching up with the Bones watching. Take care all of you!
word count: 761

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

How's school going, Steph? Are you almost done?

How about you, Sharon? Is this your final week of classes coming up?

I've got 2 weeks left to go! This upcoming week I have a major presentation to do on Wednesday, based on a 9-page paper I wrote and turned in this past week. And I have a final exam for my Thursday night class. Then the next week I have a final exam for my Wednesday night class, and a final presentation to do for my Thursday night class. It's a mishmash, and a ton of work! This past week I've stayed up until 2 or 2:30 in the morning every night.

It doesn't help that I work with a group for my Thursday presentation, and they are inconsistent with their time and their efforts. I feel like I have had to corral them the whole way, to get them to get their work done. As it is, last night we were supposed to turn in a storyboard layout of our project, but one member of my group didn't come to class and has YET to email me her portion of the assignment. Our teacher was gracious enough to give us an extension, but it's only until the end of day today (tonight) and she still hasn't contacted me or sent me her work! This is why I'd rather work alone. If I can't work with people who are willing to be dedicated to the assignment or project or whatever, I'd rather do it myself. I want to work with people who are enthusiastic and hard-working and love what they're doing (or if they don't love it, they'll at least TRY to do the work to the best of their abilities, you know?).

Anyway, how's everyone else doing?

Véro, I saw in the chatbox that you finished your class and are preparing for an exam. Good luck to you! :D
word count: 338
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:How's school going, Steph? Are you almost done?
You jest, surely! I still have so far to go and so much to do that I have stopped giving homework, at least for the time being. Monday and Wednesday I conduct my frankly terrifying oral exams (students poorly prepared – some are idle but basically the decision was taken far too late that we should do these particular tests, so teachers have been under massive pressure, working right through lunch hours and after school every night – and we are recording digitally for the first time, and there is a lot that can go wrong!), then somehow I have to get volunteers for Peer Support from next year’s 6th form before they all go off on exam leave about a week later, then there are exams to prepare and mark in a ludicrously short period, then I have about 120 reports to write, some, I suspect, necessarily during my supposed week’s holiday at the start of June, then I have to organise a workshop day for visiting primary school kids (on my own – the rest are all off taking French and Spanish trips), finally collapsing on the final day, which is I think July 7. And then I’m off till early September. What with my mother’s sad decease and my brother’s and father’s lack of health this has been a pretty s**t school year. :(
Sinkwriter72 wrote: I have a final exam for my Wednesday night class, and a final presentation to do for my Thursday night class. It's a mishmash, and a ton of work! This past week I've stayed up until 2 or 2:30 in the morning every night.
…and as usual I am not the only one suffering incredible pressure, so I will stop moaning! Good luck with all that. You must be exhausted. Our thoughts are with you.
Sinkwriter72 wrote: This is why I'd rather work alone. If I can't work with people who are willing to be dedicated to the assignment or project or whatever, I'd rather do it myself. I want to work with people who are enthusiastic and hard-working and love what they're doing (or if they don't love it, they'll at least TRY to do the work to the best of their abilities, you know?).
Couldn’t agree more. I think Wendy’s had a similar experience. Being dependent on others to do their part is frustrating even in a choir, and on a work project it is a nightmare. For the most part I am happier sorting logistics out - and singing - alone! At least if it goes awry I only have myself to blame! And I don’t understand why people don’t feel guilty at being ill-prepared and letting others down – I’m in a small concert tonight and haven’t even rehearsed my solo, and then next week church choir has a big service on while I am away happily watching Shuffle. Sometimes you just HAVE to rely on others…but I still feel awful about not doing my bit.
Sinkwriter72 wrote: Véro, I saw in the chatbox that you finished your class and are preparing for an exam. Good luck to you! :D
I saw it too! Best of luck Véro!
word count: 561

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

And the hits just keep on coming... *eyeroll*

That girl who needed to email me her portion of the assignment? Still has not done so. I had to turn in the rest of our assignment without her work, because the assignment was due and we couldn't wait for her anymore.

But that's minor in comparison to the phone call I got earlier today. My great-aunt has passed away. :(

She was my grandmother's sister (this is the grandmother of mine who passed away 2 years ago in March, the one I'd been living with). After my grandma died, the very next week my great-aunt's son had a heart attack and passed away as well. Then, within the next year my great-aunt's husband died. She's been through so much over the years (cancer, severe arthritis, injuries) and has toughed it all out, all the way through. She'd been doing so well. But she and my grandma were so close, and she was really pissed off at my grandma for 'going' before she did (she told me this at the funeral), and we think losing her sister, and then her son the very next week, and then her husband the next year... just sucked the fight right out of her, you know? Her health deteriorated so quickly after that.

It makes me so sad, because she was a really cool lady, and because I wish I'd taken more time to talk with her, get more stories out of her about her childhood and about my grandma and our family history. Even if she was ready to go (as she told her daughter), it's still such a huge loss.

Anyway, I'm going to cram my homework into this weekend as much as possible, get my media class presentation ready as best as I can, and then I'm taking off work Tuesday and Wednesday so that I can drive with my aunts to Green Bay for the funeral. We'll come back home Wednesday during the day, and then I have class that night. Fingers crossed that I'll be able to do my presentation without totally screwing it up because I haven't had time to practice it. :icon-confused: I'm not even going to think about my Thursday final exam for my other class. I'm just going to have to cram in studying for it Wednesday night after my other class is done. There's just not enough time for everything, but I'd rather get a crappy grade on this presentation and exam than not be there for my great-aunt's funeral. F*** it. There are more important things than grades.

Sleep would be nice, though. :eusa-shifty:

thanks for listening. <3
word count: 464

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Aww Sherry I'm so sorry to hear about your great aunt. :( ((hug)). Glad you are taking off for the funeral, I do believe you have your priorities just right.

This coming week is my last week of classes. I have an informal presentation to do group work but luckily my group is just three people and I've worked with them before so know they'll do their work. I really do understand your problems with it though Sherry. I've been there. I want to kick people like that. :roll: We then have to do a formal written portion of the unit we present which is due Sunday May 6th at midnight. I'm gonna make them e-mail their stuff to me so I can check it all because I'm an anal grammar and spelling person. Then on Monday, May 7th I have my math class final at 4 pm and I'm finished for a few weeks. I'm taking two classes in June, which will be 4 week classes. I'm sooooooooooooo close to finishing but I can't get into two classes I need in the fall, and I HAVE to pass both the summer courses or it'll delay my graduation (which right now looks like it could be May 2013!). I should be able to get into the two classes based on my status but waiting hoping I can get in without having to go through all the paperwork hassle. Sometimes classes open up again when people get their grades for prerequisites.

Three weeks ago my mother had major reconstruction/replacement surgery on her knee, and was in the hospital for 5 days and then the rehab for about 9 days, but she hated it there so once she was able to walk she came home. Still have to help her with some things but she is doing SO much better at home than she was in the rehab hospital. They were messing with her medication, and she was constantly tired and her blood pressure was crazy low (and she takes medication for HIGH blood pressure). Within days of coming home and getting back on the right medication regimen, her blood pressure is back to normal and she isn't tired all the time. Besides all of that, it is so much easier for me for her to be here, because I was constantly having to go up to the hospital to take her food because she hated the food they gave her (understandable). The therapist evaluated her today and said she was doing REALLY well, and that they'd work with her three times a week just to get her to where both her legs do equal work and also to get it to where it bends more than she can now. So it was a rough few weeks but she's been home for over a week now and all is good. :)

Sorry you've been having a hard time Kayleigh, and sorry you aren't going to be able to move Angela. I know you were really excited about that. :( Steph, I don't know how you don't just collapse from your work, that just makes me even happier that you will be taking a break next weekend and seeing Shuffle! :greetings-clappingyellow:

Sharon

word count: 554
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro