Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by ThyneAlone »

Amen to that, Sharon!

I'm so sorry to hear about your great aunt, Sherry. It sounds as if your family has had such a horrible time lately, and I do feel for you and them. I hope the funeral goes as well as this kind of thing can be expected to, and, as I said, you are in my thoughts.

And Sharon, I never knew your mother was having such difficulties upsetting her routine and life in general. All the best to her for a speedy recovery. Look after yourselves.

Much love to you both, my friends.
word count: 98
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Hey Ladies..
I know I've not been around lately.. with work, gym - there's not much free time to get online, okay sometimes I don't feel up to it..

So much have happened to all you I don't know where to start.. I'm scared that I'll forget someone. My thoughts are with all of you - with trouble at work, death in the family, break ups, school.. HUGS!
Hope none of you will hold it against me.

Hmmm what been going on with me.. major changes at work (mentioned this before), had a health scare 1½ week ago - began to have stomach pains and dizziness at the same time.. Had me really scared that i last weekend call the emergency treatment service, hoping they could ease my worry.. with the description he got of my symptons and who I am he felt that it was the signs of diabites which scared the shit out of me.. I did however told him that I was a risk with my wight (like I didn't know that, doh!! ) also that I had lost a lot of weight, going to the gym almost daily and seeing a dietician.
Was told to contact my regular doctor whom I have an appointment to see tomorrow in order to get a full check-up.

However after visiting my dietician and telling her all about this, she suspected it just to be a virus which had been going around.. and now I feel like myself again.. thank god!

The last time I told how it was going with my "little" project - changing my lifestyle for the better.. I had lost 6,5 kgs, so much more has come off since then.. now it's 13 kgs!! Very soon I will not saying how many kgs I've lost only that's I'm in the double digits.. I'm not proud of it, so therefore the exact number will be only known by myself, dietician and my trainer and family.
But all I can say, dear friends in Liverpool - you're in for a surprise when I return in August :-)

Okay I better stop now.. I have to get up really early tomorrow in order to leave work earlier than normal - won't and can't miss my appointment!
Hope to be around a lot more, I miss all of you!

xxoo
word count: 399

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi everyone,

Sherry, sad to hear about your great aunt, love to you and yours. Sharon, I hope your mum continues on the road to recovery. Steph, you work too hard; when you get chance to catch your breath we will definitely have to meet up, maybe grab a bite at the dock again. Hanne it's really good news about your weight loss, looking forward to seeing you in August.

I'm still waiting for my compensation which is a pain. Once I have the cash I'm going to get some work done on the house. I also want to invest in a Mac book pro as this will be useful for my writing and as I want to do more photography. I'm going to invest in a decent digital SLR camera too. That way when the blog is up and running I can put some photos up there. I'm on a mission to lose weight like you Hanne and I'm hoping to purchase a Wii to use that for fitness. Plus I'm starting to do some walking with my friend Lesley. Decided on a change of hairstyle too, slightly shorter than now; I think I'm going with a long graduated bob with fringe (we'll see how that turns out!).

Love to everyone

Catch you later

Jude
word count: 225

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Just testing to see if I can post. :( Testing to see if there is problem with color format. I keep getting an error trying to post in the Twitter thread.

It was the little thing TJ put a the end of the tweet, something done with a phone. Interesting!
word count: 49
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Today my aunt was mowing the lawn and she must have kicked up a rock or something with the mower because it apparently went flying... and completely shattered the window of the back passenger seat of my car.

*Cut to me in slow-motion: Noooooooooooooooo!*

:D

:eusa-doh:

CRAP.

My poor baby.

On a good note... I am done with the spring session of school! :eusa-dance: Whew. :greetings-clappingyellow:

Seriously, those last 2 to 3 weeks were rough. Mainly because I had a lot to do, and for one of those projects, it involved working with a group... and my team members stopped pulling their weight the final 2 weeks of class. Damn it.

Oops... more to this story later! My mom's calling me back at last. Must chat with her; it is, after all, Mother's Day. :D
word count: 135

FishFlyingBy
Fan

Post by FishFlyingBy »

Sherry, sorry about your car. Hopefully it's covered by insurance.

It seems as if a lot of people here are in middle of school exams or projects. I also have one more moth filled with exams and presentations. In June I'll be finished and I, hopefully, will be holding the economics certificate in my hands.

June 15th will be my last exam, French speaking. I'm extremely nervous about that one, since last time, my speaking partner and I burst into laughter and they had to end the exam early because we couldn't calm down. My speaking partner only got to say one sentence and then, suddenly, she cracked and giggled through the whole exam. Luckily, I still passed. Probably because the first part went okay for me, until the examiners told me to face my speaking partner while discussing a topic together and I then had to look into her laughing face, and ultimately, burst myself. :eusa-shifty:

It's just, when I have to look into a laughing face, I have to laugh too and in combination with nervousness, it gets even worse.

At least I have something to look forward too now, because as soon as all this is over, my friend and I are going on vacation together. Probably, San Francisco, Paris, Rome or Stockholm.

Have a great week everyone.
word count: 225

MarinaDuister
Fan

Post by MarinaDuister »

I got on this sofa because of Steph...
Well, about me:
I am Marina, I live in the Netherlands and I am 14 years old (still young :D) I 'met' TJ in Bones, although I had seen him in the Grinch before, but I didn't know back then it was him. I am currently studying at a TTO school (2 languages) and thats how I came to English. In my free time I do badminton and hang with friends, but I also spent a lot of time watching Bones (I think I have actually seen all episodes now) or TJ films on YouTube (GO YOUTUBE!). But I am sorry, I have to leave now, school is about 50 minutes away on bike so I have to leave :angry-banghead:

Bye bye!
word count: 129
"What about love? What do you have to say about love?" -Angela Montenegro
"It's overrated. Most of the time." -Jack Hodgins

FishFlyingBy
Fan

Post by FishFlyingBy »

MarinaDuister wrote:I got on this sofa because of Steph...
Well, about me:
I am Marina, I live in the Netherlands and I am 14 years old (still young :D) I 'met' TJ in Bones, although I had seen him in the Grinch before, but I didn't know back then it was him. I am currently studying at a TTO school (2 languages) and thats how I came to English. In my free time I do badminton and hang with friends, but I also spent a lot of time watching Bones (I think I have actually seen all episodes now) or TJ films on YouTube (GO YOUTUBE!). But I am sorry, I have to leave now, school is about 50 minutes away on bike so I have to leave :angry-banghead:

Bye bye!
Hi Marina, and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you're going to like it here. Your English is really good. It's great that you get to go to a school which allows you to learn different languages.

Have a great day. :text-welcomewave:

Anya
word count: 176

MarinaDuister
Fan

Post by MarinaDuister »

FishFlyingBy wrote: Hi Marina, and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you're going to like it here. Your English is really good. It's great that you get to go to a school which allows you to learn different languages.

Have a great day. :text-welcomewave:

Anya
I want to thank you all for the warm welcome here, I didn't know fans would be so close! And I know it's great we have TTO here, it gives great opportunities to work internationaly in the future. Thanks for saying my English is good, I've been working on it :P I met an English girl when I was 9 so I got a little English knowledge back then, but since I am on an English School Program I learn more everyday, about half of my classes are given in English!
And I do have a great day, although it's kind of awkward.. Yesterday, me and my sister called this radiostation (radio 538) to vote for some kind of music ratings... It is called Maak 't of Kraak 't (make it or brake it literally translated) and you can win a prize package from it, which I won :) Although I wished there was something else in it (a ticket to NY maybe?) i am still happy because one of the prizes is not really, well, for my age. And since I forgot to buy my mom a present for Mom's day (I'm sorry mom) I decided to give it to her and now we are both happy!

I was talking to a friend of mine in the break, also a Bones fan, but now even she is getting annoyed by the fact that I kind of adore TJ... O me, o my, why am I so lonely in being a bones fan here?

Love, Marina
word count: 307

Wendy
Super Fan

Post by Wendy »

Hi Marina!

Welcome to the board :) Another Dutch person to talk to. :greetings-clappingyellow:

Just dropping by to say hi to everyone here. It's been ages since i was here. I promise that i will be back next week to tell you what i've been up to lately :)

I hope that everyone is doing well.

*Hugs*
word count: 56

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Hello Marina! :text-welcomewave: Have fun here! :-)
word count: 5
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

MarinaDuister
Fan

Post by MarinaDuister »

I'm sure I'll have fun, I just mean, it's all about our favorite actor! (I hope so atleast) And Wendy, so awesome there are actually other Dutchies who like TJ soooooo much :D In what region do you live?
Xx
word count: 42

Wendy
Super Fan

Post by Wendy »

MarinaDuister wrote:I'm sure I'll have fun, I just mean, it's all about our favorite actor! (I hope so atleast) And Wendy, so awesome there are actually other Dutchies who like TJ soooooo much :D In what region do you live?
Xx
Hi Marina,

I live on the westcoast, Rotterdam to be exact :)

Today was the first really warm day in The Netherlands. And as for me, i don't like it. (Probably one of the few people on the planet who doesn't like this weather) I become very slow and lazy :D

But i managed to do some grocery shopping since i had nothing to eat (literally!). After my job interview on monday 14th i went to my parents place for a couple of days. When i returned i had to work for 5 days straight. Today was my first day off and i have tomorrow off as well :greetings-clappingyellow:

As far as the job interview went: i didn't get the job unfortunately. But i can still work at my weekend job (since half of the staff is constantly ill/on vacation/not showing up at all), so that is something positive.

Hope everything is well with everyone!
word count: 201

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by cutenebula »

Welcome to our new memebers :-) You will have so much fun here with all the great people you will meet (^_^)

Hi to all of you and apologize to all of you too for I didn't come here for ages...

Well, I'm stil studying and I am in my last week of school.
Which means that I have my exam on next Friday and the subject is pretty pretty hard to be honest.
I have to paint a real like 19th century bookcase, 2,20m x 1,80m of size, with a hidden door (actually it's supposed to be a painting we would do in someone's home to cover this hidden door close to the bookcase), of course filled with books and strange objects in the 19th century atmosphere and a representation of the romantic painters on the wall.
And of course make a very good fake wood to make it look real.
So I'm in a real hurry to find some pictures and informations on Internet as we had the subject on Friday afternoon and we only have 4 days to prepare this and realise it all (including a sketch of the room and estimate and invoice our work plus a 1 hour test which we didn't know we would have).

It's a really short time to make it, we all think only 2 of us will have it all done on time. And I don't think I'll be one of them. I'm trying to figure out how it will look like and we are not allowed to prepare the sketch at home, our director wants us to do everything at school.

So tomorrow morning we'll have our 1 hour test, then spend the day preparing our paper walls, drawing our sketchs and hopefully start drawing our bookcase. If I can start the painting on Monday evening it would be great. But I'm not sure of it.

Plus, I'm so stupid sometimes, I forgot all my notebooks at school, so I can't study them for my test. I'm trying to find some informations on Internet which could be like my course, but really I feel like it's going to be a bad moment for me...

Oh well, in 1 week I'll be free to relax a bit and spend more time with you :-)
Hope all of you are fine :-)

Véro

Ps: what would be my life without excitement hu? :D During the last thunderstorm my screen computer imploded and I've lost my ethernet connection. So I had to buy a wifi usb device and I'm using an old screen which totally ruins my eyes, but at least I have Internet again :-)
word count: 460
The waffle conspiracy...

FishFlyingBy
Fan

Post by FishFlyingBy »

Hi Véro

That seems pretty hard, creating a piece like that in such a short time. But not long anymore and you'll be done with your studies, just keep looking forward to that. Good luck Véro!

I'm in middle of exams too. Today I had German writing and economics/ society and tomorrow business management/ accounting plus French writing in the afternoon. After that I'll have another business exam plus German speaking and French speaking. Luckily, I'm exempt from English because I obtained the Cambridge Advanced Certificate a few years back. Otherwise I would have two more exams.

I also can't wait until it's all over and am really looking forward to my trip to Sweden and France in July.

Anya :greetings-wavingyellow:
word count: 128

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

That project sounds very challenging, Véro! I bow down to your art skills. I took 2 classes that required art projects to be done, and it was probably one of the toughest semesters I've ever had. I am not an artist! So I admire those who can make such beautiful works.

Sadly, you'll be finishing class just as I'm starting again. I had 3 weeks off after I finished my spring semester, and today I'm starting the summer session. 8 intense weeks of school ahead of me! *sighs dramatically*

Most of the classes I have left to take for my associates' degree were not available this summer session, so I have to take the 2 'general education' classes that are required as part of the degree. One's a business class two nights a week (*grumbles*) and one is a an intro to psychology class.

Sharon, are you taking summer classes?
word count: 156

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Véro I'm sure you'll do well on the project because you are awesome!!! :happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

Sherry, yes, I'm taking two classes. Statistics and the History of Math. My classes will only last a month though, start on June 11th and finish on July 6th. With a day off on the 4th of course. They are each 2 hours and 50 minute long classes-five days a week. Unfortunately I have a 2 hour break between them which means I'll have to stay at school all day. Sigh. Leave at 8:30 am and probably make it home by 5:30 pm. Long hard days, even sitting in class and paying attention for 2 hours and 50 minutes is a challenge. Especially if the classroom is hot. :shock:
word count: 129
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Aaaah (wise nod) Hot classrooms. I know it well. Had a kid fall asleep in mine last year and it wasn't just because of the lesson! Think I need to investigate at what point it becomes illegal to teach without some effective form of ventilation.

Good luck to all who are doing exams. Hope the markers get it right - it's major stress assessing them. Véro I adore your work, I think you are amazingly gifted and I am sure you will do well in this. Anya, soo great to see someone committed to languages even if it does involve all those oral exams. All the best!

Sherry, Sharon - I have never understood this summer school thing. You have time off at such different periods from us and for different lengths of time. Please tell me how it works! Do schools do it as well or is it just colleges and universities?
word count: 154
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

*waves at Steph*

Most high school and college students I know (and myself included, back when I first got my bachelor's degree years ago) do not attend school in the summer. Unless they're trying to finish their degree faster or do more than one focus. I'm taking summer classes because the people who fund my schooling want me to get my associates' degree done as fast as possible, so that means attending all year 'round (fall session, spring session and summer session).

Which, unfortunately for me and my mental health, can be a huge drain, both physically and emotionally. I'm feeling pretty burned out from going-going-going all the time. For the past year and a half I feel like all I've done with my life is work and school and homework. For the most part, I have really enjoyed what I'm learning, but after a certain point I find myself wanting some variety in my life, some breathing room, some time for other activities, seeing friends, going outside my main 'four walls,' playing with my hobbies, and in general just RELAXING.
word count: 189

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Yes, here the schools are finished this week (high school, middle school, elementary) and they do have summer school but that is usually for students who failed courses and need to make things up.

However, at my university, summer classes are usually full, because so many of the students at my school work and go to school so they don't always manage to take a full course load (4 classes or more) each semester, so if a course they need is offered in the summer they usually take it to try to keep themselves on track to graduate. Most students at my university take 6+ years to graduate because of the economy, a lot of them are direct contributors to their family welfare-especially the students that come over every day from Mexico to attend school.
word count: 137