Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
JustJulz
Fan

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by JustJulz »

I probably will watch the OSCAR's. But I think here we get a delayed telecast, so its a bit of a moot point. I'll already know who the winners are by the time we get to see it here. I'm rooting for our Aussie bird Cate Blanchett. Blue Jasmine was excellent. I haven't seen half of the movies that are nominated, but once they are available here on our pay TV I'll probably get to see them. :D
word count: 82
In beer, there is strength. In wine, there is wisdom. In water, there's bacteria.

I drink vodka!
:dance:

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Hello ladies!!! First of all, congrats Vero on your new job!! I'm excited to see finished pictures of your incredible talent. :)

Welcome Jules!! :text-welcomeconfetti: My name is Kathy and I live in FL. Congrats on your upcoming anniversary!! 30 years is incredible! I've only been married 13 years and I feel like I want to strangle him sometimes. LOL!!! Vegas will be a blast! I've never actually been there, but I want to go to visit one day. :)

Nothing really new in my world. Just normal life, work, housework, family, etc. I'm hoping to take some time off in April during my kids' spring break or when/if my parents come to visit from New Mexico in June. Don't know exactly what we're going to do, but it's exciting just being spontaneous and doing whatever we want. :)
word count: 143
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

JustJulz
Fan

Post by JustJulz »

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Haven't had much time to spend here as I'm busy with last minute arrangements for a friends wedding (which is today), and of course our US holiday. We fly out in 5 days and I'm SO excited, nervous, overthinking everything, but mostly relieved that its finally here. It's been a year in the planning. I'm looking forward to spending more time here when we get home in 2 months... TWO MONTHS! OMG.. now I'm nervous again! LOL.

Catch you later! :dance:
word count: 91
In beer, there is strength. In wine, there is wisdom. In water, there's bacteria.

I drink vodka!

HanaTheAwesomeOne
Fan

Post by HanaTheAwesomeOne »

Hey Jules
I heard you visited the set today? :)
Have Fun in the States, Very Jealous (of not only the set visit but that you're in the States) I wanna Go Back! Lol. I miss the U.S.
Wait?! Am I allowed to say that here lol.

word count: 48

HanaTheAwesomeOne
Fan

Oh Sorry I haven't been Posting much I'm going in to my 4th Week at Uni and Working Part-Time & it's already been Pretty Full on. Uni is craaayyyy but oh so Fun lol. I hardly have a Social Life though Lol. And I haven't even caught up on Bones yet =/ Yeah I'm rambling now lol. Koz I'm like half asleep and its only after 6pm LOL. Anyway hope All is well.

Peace.

- Hana :banana-dance:

word count: 82

JustJulz
Fan

Post by JustJulz »

HanaTheAwesomeOne wrote:Hey Jules
I heard you visited the set today? :)
Have Fun in the States, Very Jealous (of not only the set visit but that you're in the States) I wanna Go Back! Lol. I miss the U.S.
Wait?! Am I allowed to say that here lol.

I did visit FOX yesterday thanks to Pam and the wonderful Michael Peterson who set up our visit of the lab set! Nobody was at the set as they had finished shooting but we had a great time. I can say that it looks way bigger on TV. Brennan's chair in her office is very comfortable. The bone room is great! And the whole place is pretty interesting with all the vials of liquids, microscopes and scientific equipment everywhere. Sitting on the couch in Brennan's office and the couch upstairs on the mezzanine overlooking the lab below was amazing! It was a dream come true for this little Aussie!
word count: 161

I drink vodka!

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

That's so exciting Jules! I would love to visit the set one day. :)
word count: 14
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi lovely people.
I really have abandoned you all this time, haven't I? Forgive.
I have been living a twilight zombie existence over the last month or so. Computer time has been unrelieved report writing and work preparation; at work itself I have been teaching right through the day, skipping lunch hours daily to give speaking test individual tuition. I was very ill last week because my resistance is currently so low, but have had to hold on till the bitter end to do the mock speaking exams and make all the horrendously complicated arrangements for my departure for France with 37 small children in just over a week.

With the help of a very sympathetic department head I finally managed to persuade the powers that be that I am not coping with the load at the moment and need breathing space. They have just taken on someone new to help with the German next year, truncated my full timetable and arranged it so that I don't take a form in September. And as I sit here at 10pm tapping at the keyboard as various very quiet and reflective music plays in the background I recognise the truth of it - I really have almost stopped being a human being. Even my efforts to keep up my singing have been counter productive - rather than re-establishing a healthy work-life balance it has exhausted me further, to the point of barely being able to sing properly, never mind make a joyful noise. And I keep coming home late and falling asleep, which doesn't make for good nights either.

I am still watching TV occasionally and Wednesday night is my Bones night so you might get some reviews when I feel up to it, or even some conversation! In the UK we have just seen the one about eyeballs in the school casserole. Oliver and Daisy together, omg they are not going to pair them off, please tell me no, that would make for too much irritating in the room!

I have quite a lot of stuff to catch up on next week (vacation starts tomorrow) and will try to get in here - it's been far too quiet lately. Thank you all for being here for me and being non-judgemental!

Loads of love,
Steph xxx

And I'm just going to leave this white rose on the table beside you as I move off silently. :)
word count: 408
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Found the rose - Thank you, Steph! :-) :romance-smileyheart: Wow, you're so busy. Hang in there! *hugs*
So, now you have some vacation and then start a trip to France?

Hey, I can help out with the German, too! - Not a teacher, though! Is that a problem??? ;-) LOL

I need to catch up on Bones and then leave some feedback. Sorry, at the moment I'm so in love with BATB and "Vincent"! It's hard to focus on something else. But hope to watch some Bones next weekend.

Not much news with me! Job still sucks! Wish I could do that: :sci-fi-beamup: Where is Scotty when you need him?!?! :-?

Hope to chat with some of you again, soon. I keep missing you here.

Bye, and take care! :greetings-wavingblue:
word count: 125
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Steph! I hope you are having a good vacation! Sorry I meant to reply the other day but things are a bit crazy here now. I hope the next time I feel like I can put in a new floor and cabinets and sink in the kitchen someone will slap me upside the head and tell me to forget it! Started this morning around 9 am, thought we'd at least get the floor down today and at 8 pm barely started. Ended up having a lot more work to do with the sheet rock behind the old cabinets than we thought, had to go back to the home improvement store 3 times today. I don't think anyone wants to know what lurks underneath cabinets that were installed in 1958. HAHAHA We got 3 floorboards down (we are installing a wood floor OMG what a pain LOL) and our bodies gave up the ghost for the night. :obscene-hanged:

Hi Simone! Sorry your job still sucks. At least you have a job. That probably doesn't help though. Just kick me. HAHAHA ;-) I hope you can watch some Bones and comment. We've been sorely missing comments. So much so that I was planning on asking TJ for a chat in April but when Bones came back and very few bothered to comment, I think I'll just skip bothering him. Which means no more chats until after season 10 starts. Oh well.

Jules I saw your pictures on twitter when you got to go to the Bones set. COOL!

Hi everyone else!!!

word count: 263
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

skftex wrote: I was planning on asking TJ for a chat in April but when Bones came back and very few bothered to comment, I think I'll just skip bothering him.
That's fair. Just wanting to underline though that I would have made a huge effort at reviewing the eps I have seen, if I had had any time or health to do so (I haven't even managed to see the second one you sent me yet, though I am hugely grateful for it!). And maybe others are in that boat too....

As far as vacation is concerned, well, the bit of the weekend that wasn't taken up with one of the nastiest stomach bugs I have suffered in a looooong time was devoted to yet another concert and church. I now need to mark the mp3s I made of my mock oral exams, email them to my students with feedback, arrange times during the holiday when we can meet at school to do more practice and prepare for the Normandy trip which will occupy all of next week, followed by the usual choir Easter commitments. Prepare material for the last Peer Support meeting and vet the application forms for next year's group, make arrangements for an upcoming German performance afternoon, respond to possibilities of a native speaker coming to help next term and an exchange visit. And carry out all household tasks as hubby is away on exam duty most of this week. Back on the 24th. I just want to go to sleep all the time! I've only just got up today at 11.30 and my eyelids are already drooping.

Apologies for the whinge. At least I am ON holiday. Quite plainly you, Simone, are mentally worse off than me - at least I don't loathe my job - (and you know, you don't have to be a teacher to give these guys the speaking help they need!) and you, Sharon, are physically worse off - what a titanic job you've taken on! Well done! And look after yourselves, both, or I'll end up with nobody to moan at. ;) :)
word count: 359

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

I'm so sorry you've been sick Steph! It's not fun being sick when you're supposed to be on vacation. Feel better soon and try to enjoy the rest of your time. :)

That sucks about your job Simone. I know how it feels to hate a job. I love my current job, but I've had several in the past where it almost made me sick to my stomach thinking about going into work. Hopefully it gets better for you or you can find something else that's a better fit. Hang in there. :)

Wow Sharon! That's quite the project you've taken on! I know that things like that are never easy and they rarely go as planned. Maybe when it's all complete, if you want you can post some after pictures. :) We have lots of plans for our house too, but so far we don't have the funds for everything we want to do. Maybe one day.....

This last week was spring break for my kids so I took them down to Orlando to enjoy the new Legoland that opened a few years ago. Unfortunately, my hubby couldn't get off work, so it was just me and the kids. My son was in heaven! One of his favorite things in the world are Legos, so this was a dream come true for him. LOL! We had a nice mini-vacation at the park, swimming in the pool at the hotel, eating at Planet Hollywood in Downtown Disney, and playing put-put golf. By the pool I met a nice family from London who were on vacation to go see the Disney parks. Their little girl enjoyed telling me all about London since I mentioned that I've never been there. It was awesome hearing about Big Ben, King Henry the 8th, and the catacombs under London, told by a very bright 9 year old. HAHA! They were all very sweet and very entertaining. :) Overall, we had a great trip, minus the minor traffic trouble around the city, but I should be used to that by now. LOL!
word count: 356

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Kathy, the kitchen won't be that spectacular since it is an old house we are very limited without a complete remodel and we can't afford it. :) We just have to do the sink/cabinet because it was so old the sink started falling in one day while I was washing dishes. That was fun. :icon-rolleyes: And I had bought new flooring a few years ago and someone was going to install it for us but he ended up not being able to, so it has just been sitting in the storage, so since we had to rip out the cabinets we decided this was a good time to do the floor! UGH NO TIME IS A GOOD TIME TO DO THE FLOOR. HAHAHAHAHA

I saw some of your photos from your mini vacation. Looked fun. I'd LOVE to go to LEGOLAND, I love Legos! I have some. :D

Steph, yes, I know that sometimes it isn't easy for people to post. :)

word count: 163
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

yes I know that Lego obsession! Both my boys grew up through Duplo and then Lego. I'd love to go there too, albeit to the slightly more local one!

If you can forgive me for being an old fogey, I still reckon it was more interesting when you had to design and build your own creations rather than follow instructions for a ready-made pattern like iwth Airfix. These young people, moan, moan, no imagination... I must say though that one of the funniest Youtube vids I have ever seen was a Star Wars prequel Lego animation accompanying Weird Al Yankovic's brilliant narrative parody of American Pie. There are lots of them up now but this is the original, entitled 'The Saga Begins':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbb5CYC6JTs

of course if you haven't seen the original Star Wars film it won't mean much!

Still in wonder at what you have been doing, Sharon. Show us some before and after pics! :)
word count: 166

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Hahaha! Thanks for sharing that video Steph! I love all things Star Wars, so that was awesome! :) I actually brought home a couple Lego souvenirs for myself; a little R2D2 and C3PO, along with a Frodo, Bilbo, and Gandalf since I also love The Hobbit and LOTR. :D I also have a set of my own from when I was a teenager of the space shuttle. My son likes to build his own stuff as well. We always start out building the sets but he ends up changing them or adding to them pretty quickly. I have to say that he impresses me with some of the things he comes up with. Maybe he'll be an engineer on day. LOL!

Good luck with the renovations Sharon! I hope the rest of it goes smoothly. :)
word count: 134

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too late to show before photos. LOL I'll try to get an after photo. We still aren't finished but the main work is complete. We have sink pipes to put in and that is it! We were going to do the pipes tonight but found we are missing a piece so stopped for the day. Pipes in the morning!

EDIT: Okay here it is. We installed the floors, the cabinets were unfinished so I did the stain on them, we cut and fit the countertop, and installed the sink. We also had to replace all the drywall behind the sink as you can see from the spackling above the counter, which we'll either paint or put a backsplash there, haven't decided yet. And ignore the marks on the other wall, we haven't cleaned up entirely. :P

word count: 141

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Nice job Sharon! I'm very impressed that you did this on your own! It looks great! :) Those countertops look a lot like the ones my parents just installed in their kitchen. This makes me want to run down to Ace Hardware. LOL!
word count: 43

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Thanks Kathy. I've never done something like that before but I can read so if I wasn't sure how to do something I either looked it up on the internet, or asked A LOT of questions at Lowes :D One poor guy answered questions so well we kept going back to find him! My brother pretty much did the floor, I just put down the liner and kept things clean ahead of him so he could lay the boards without having to do other things. I didn't do it all by myself. No way I could carry those counters and I also don't much like to use power saws (though I love my drill! HAHAHA) so he did all the cutting unless it was hacksaw cutting, then I could do that. :P
word count: 134

HanaTheAwesomeOne
Fan

Kia Ora Whanau (Hello Family) :D
Haha yeah I Slightly stalked u on Twitter, Jules. As u know ;) HAHA.

First Of All Sorry for not Posting in the Bones Thread (Or at all other than the C-Box) I've been EXTREMELY Busy with Uni & by the Time I get Home its Late&I'm Tired As. I haven't even watched the Last 3 or 4 Latest eps, I keep meaning to but I have too much to do...But Fair Enough Mama Sharon :)

So Yeah Uni has been Full On but OH SO FUN! I pulled an All Nighter Last night bkoz I had 3 Assignments for Writing Class due today (They were my first kinda Legit Assignments for the year :) lol) but I had done 2 last wk but the Last One I was drawing a Blank for aaageees so I I was up till 4.30am this Morning determined to finish it&I did :D HAHA. SO Glad those are done :)

Anyway Sucks to hear some of u are sick. Get Well. And Yeah I know what its like to Hate your Job but hang in there something better will come up for you :D

And MAMA Sharon that's So Cool :)

:banana-dance: :happy-cheerleaderkid:

word count: 205

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Nice job, Sharon! I couldn't do that! You have pics while you where working on it? :tools-hammerdrill: :angry-banghead: :chores-mop:
skftex wrote:
Hi Simone! Sorry your job still sucks. At least you have a job. That probably doesn't help though. Just kick me. HAHAHA ;-)
OK, where is the kicking smilie??? I NEED IT!!! Let's see if I can find one that fits! Maybe that one: :violence-fencing: ;-) - so many violent smilies. Well, they don't fit! :romance-smileyheart: Somehow you are right. I should be glad I have a job. :-? :icon-rolleyes: Well, ...

Steph, have a great vacation! Hope you can relax a lot and have fun!
Last edited by TJ4ever on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 100
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.