Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I probably wouldn't have even remembered until well after the fact, but you brought it to my thoughts, Shannon, when you mentioned your own upcoming 1-year anniversary!

Steph, it's funny -- for a while there it felt like it was just you, me and Rebecca, and a few stray people who don't seem to pop in anymore. But what fun we had. :D And then Sharon came, and it's been crazy ever since! (HAHAHA Just kidding, Sharon! Kisses!) :mrgreen:

I can't believe I've been chatting here for 3 years now. Wacky! But very fun. You all have been lovely, and I'm glad to be here. :romance-smileyheart:
word count: 110
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Congrats Shannon on your 1 year anniversary (in 3 days) and also a congrats to Sherry on your 3 year - wow. :occasion-balloons: :occasion-balloons:

My anniversary won't be for another month and 13 days..

I love this place.. you always feel welcome whether it's on the boards or in the chat..
:text-thankyouyellow:
In my opinion it's all about TJ and I don't feel (while I've been here) it have drifted away on that part while friendships have been made, quite the opposite.. :D :romance-grouphug:
word count: 83

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Rain wrote:p.s. am I the one "super cool" person who writes down everyone's screen name and then beside it their real name? :P haha
Well Shannon, I could try and excuse it with the fact that I take my job really seriously, but I have a small file containing real names, birthdays, jobs, places of origin, joining dates and any other info people feel happy to give. You can't make people feel special if you forget things about them. That's the way I look at it.
word count: 90
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I have a file with login name, real name, & places of origin for many people. Of course, with my computer out of commission, I have no access to it right now. :P
word count: 31
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

Rain
Fan

Post by Rain »

haha I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

I feel the exact same way Steph, its nice to reference things people have said even if its just a small thing like where they live. Its just hard sometimes with all our fantastic people....which is why I need to write it all down :p
I only have login name and real name but I think it might be a good idea to do places of origin and small facts.

Lets all be super cool together!!

:) You guys rock! you all put such smiles on my face when I come here.
word count: 103

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:I was just reading this thread and got to wondering to myself, when is MY joining-the-site anniversary? I knew it was in July but couldn't remember the date. Just looked it up and guess when it is? TODAY!
Happy Anniversary Sherry!! And to you too Shannon!

ThyneAlone wrote:Yes Sherry, you were one of the earliest, a few days before me. The site has profited massively by your presence and long may you make your home here. <<hug>>
I agree!!
Rain wrote:
Steph - You guys do a fantastic job on this site. I agree with Christina, after all this time its still all about TJ. But your right Steph the parts where we can all talk about ourselves and get to know each other are equally important. I think we have the perfect mix.
Shannon, all of you that continue to come here and spend time are the ones that make it so great. It'd be nothing without each and every one of you!! And Steph keeping the boards spam free and organized and pleasant!
Sinkwriter72 wrote:
Steph, it's funny -- for a while there it felt like it was just you, me and Rebecca, and a few stray people who don't seem to pop in anymore. But what fun we had. :D And then Sharon came, and it's been crazy ever since! (HAHAHA Just kidding, Sharon! Kisses!) :mrgreen:
:o

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
word count: 235
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

skftex wrote:
ThyneAlone wrote:Yes Sherry, you were one of the earliest, a few days before me. The site has profited massively by your presence and long may you make your home here. <<hug>>
I agree!!
Aw, shucks, Steph and Sharon! Thanks!! :mrgreen: *beaming proudly* You make it fun.

:romance-heartstiny:

Love all around!

Switching gears... I'm currently banging my head against the computer monitor. I've got a final project for the summer class I'm taking, one in which I need to make a web site from scratch. :think: I spent this evening messing around with margins and div tags and setting up very basic structure (a navigation menu, a copyright footer, and sections of a banner/logo and for the general content on the home page) but.....

I can't figure out what font and image to use for my logo/banner, and I can't figure out what sort of color scheme I'd like! *headdesk headdesk* I kind of need that before I can proceed with the building of my pages.

Of course, I could concentrate on writing up the text for it first, but I'd really feel better if I knew some basic things for the site itself (like color) so that I'm not rushing to decide on that when I need to be inserting the text and messing around with the layout of that.

:doh: ARGH.
word count: 231
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

Gee, Sinkwter, it sounds like we're both doing homework this weekend. I have my internship paper to start and portfolio to put together. Far as your homework, I don't know much about what you're doing, but the colors and text should go based on your theme of the website. I'd think that coming up with a theme would make the puzzle pieces fall right into place. I remember in Intro. to Computers class, our teacher gave us just the beginning basics to making a website. Our theme was our favorite things. That was easy for me. Favorite color: purple, favorite animal: tiger, etc. Good luck with your website construction. It sounds as if this is really taxing on you.
word count: 123

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, Kelly! How's your internship portfolio homework going? :D Mine's not nearly as taxing as I make it sound -- I was just being melodramatic to express my frustrations. :lol:

The theme of my web site project is... me. :oops: Just saying that makes me feel like an idiot. *GRIN*

Mainly, what I want to do is focus the site on my creative aspects -- the types of writing that I do (pop culture commentaries, general essays, and fiction), and have a page for music (for that one, I thought I might even include a couple of audio files of my singing).

So, it's a creative site, a portfolio type of site, I suppose.

My favorite color is blue. Yes, Steph, I think that blue is my 'color.' Heee. I love many shades of it and often gravitate to it first. I don't know if it expresses my 'personality' but it is my favorite. :D And thanks, Sharon, I saw your comment in the chat box about using different shades of blue! LOL. You know me well. :mrgreen:

But as much as I love blue, I do want to find some contrasting colors so it's not all monochromatic. I like earth tones, too; brown works well against blue (depending on what brown it is). But I feel like I'm missing the third color, the critical ingredient that will make the site 'pop.' Something that will keep it light. I want the site to be cheerful -- not too obnoxiously colorful, but I do want something light or bright. I'm still pondering.

How's everyone else doing today? :greetings-wavingyellow:
word count: 266

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

Hi Sinkwater! It's nice to hear from you during your homework break. I'm multi-tasking with mine. While doing laundry, I've gotten my activity sheets together even though they aren't complete and thought about how I want to construct my cover page for the report. I thought that I would put the radio station's logo on it. I did that for the memo I had to write to my teacher; did a letterhead for it.

You're webpage sounds like it's going to be awesome! I remember that I had to create hyperlinks to my favorite websites and a marquee. I'm sure yours is going to come out great. Mine doesn't exist anymore. It was only posted on the college's web server for a month.

Yeah, I'm interested in what everyone is up to today also. It's my first weekend being on this site. Is it this quiet every weekend?
word count: 161

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

ARGHHHHHHHHH! Stupid Internet Explorer ate my post. :angry-cussingwhite:

I don't have time to rewrite it in entirety, so as they say in "The Princess Bride," let me sum up.

It's actually Sinkwriter. :mrgreen: But I can see why you might have gone with 'water.' It makes more sense. But I have my reasons for going another way with it. Heeee. Regardless, you can call me Sherry, if you like.

You're doing laundry -- I'm dusting! Whoo, look at us multi-task! Or, I was until I came into this room and dusted the computer and thought to myself, as long as I'm here, might as well check my messages... :shhh: :shifty:

So, what is this thing you're working on? Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Are you creating something for a specific company (you mentioned a logo)?

I don't know how awesome my web site will be, but I'm sure going to try! :dance: And yes, we have the option of putting our finished project up online ourselves, or using the school's web server. I'm not sure which one I'll do, but if any of you are interested in seeing the final work, I can let you know!

As for the quietness of the site... it varies. Depends on time zone, if people are on vacation, or if they have a lot of stuff to get done on the weekend. Sometimes you'll see them pop up in the mornings or the later evening. It's tough to say. You just never know when you'll come across someone chatting away here. :D Check the chatbox, and of course the threads to see what's new and what's going on. Either way, I hope you enjoy it here and find it lots of fun!

:text-welcomewave:

Sherry
aka Sinkwriter72

Now, let's see if I can get this message to post without the browser eating it. Then I can get back to dusting so I can get it done! There are much more fun things I'd like to be doing than that drudgery. As I imagine you probably would rather be doing other things instead of laundry. Hope you have a good day, whatever you do!*GRIN*
word count: 374

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

Oh Sherry, I'm so sorry for mis-reading your handle! :oops:

I just ran out of quarters, so laundry is done for the week. Dusting for me will have to wait after I clutter-free the apartment. I have an inspection coming up, so I need to multi-task.

Since May 17, I've been interning at the college radio station and now that my 150 hours are up, I need to gather daily activity sheets, examples of my work, write a 3 to 5 page report, and include a cover page. If I'm forgetting anything, I better look through my internship packet again. I know that all this is due Aug. 6, so I do have time. It's just the sooner I get it done the better. I want to do a good job, like you do. You can count me in for looking at the finished product. I'll probably put my report up on Facebook in the Notes app so my friends and family as well as radio networks can read about what I did and what I'm now capable of doing for after graduation.

I am definitely having fun being a part of this wonderful site. It's not often that I get to talk to people about my favorite shows , books, or anything I do/like. All of you have been so kind, warm, and inviting. Sharon even added me to Facebook. :D I understand that the different time zones are a factor and everyone has a life outside of this site, so I will just keep tabs on my e-mail. Besides, the more of the show I watch, the more I'll be able to resurrect some of the old forums. :idea:
word count: 290

boo
Fan

Post by boo »

Any Chuck fans here? I :romance-heartbeating: Chuck so much and it would be fun to find someone else who shares my two fave tv shows.
word count: 24
I demand another beetle. Jeff has a groin pull.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Boo, I'll answer your question with only three words:

DON'T FREAK OUT.

:mrgreen:
word count: 14

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

boo wrote:Any Chuck fans here? I :romance-heartbeating: Chuck so much and it would be fun to find someone else who shares my two fave tv shows.
I'm a fan, so look me up on Facebook, add me, and then we'll talk. I don't want to compromise the integritiy of this site by talking about another show. The name to look for is Kelly Louchart. If you don't find me, I'm on TJ's pages. I'll gladly talk with you about the show. As I said earlier, I don't have anyone to talk to about the shows I like. I'm glad I'm here so I can talk about Bones and TJ. We can talk about Chuck via Facebook. Thanks.
word count: 127

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Remember, this is one of our few offtopic threads, Kelly! I'm happy to move this subject to Random if you wish, or you could simply carry on the discussion there - Random contains some of our other interests, and swings happily between music, art, sport and other shows and actors that we like.

New arrivals: Because each of us has many facets besides our appreciation for the man who drives the site and inspires us, Welcome is basically about us, the members, and the wider world. Hence the Sofa to talk about ourselves, our achievements, our concerns etc., Random for our interests outside the TJ world, an Intro thread for new members to dip their toes in and be greeted, and also somewhere we can talk about major happenings in the world at large. TJ is already slightly embarrassed that there is so much about HIM here (sorry, mate, it's your site!) and has even in the past urged Sharon and me to put up our own bios (which we feel is inappropriate) so we feel justified in having an 'us' corner. You only have to look at the 'five things' thread in Talk TJ to become aware that he's keen to know about us. So don't worry too much about a bit of cross-fertilisation! It's great to have your contribution!
word count: 226
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

Thank you, Steph, for that clarification and reminder.

Okay, Boo, I have been a fan of Chuck since season 3 started. A friend of mine urged me to watch it and as soon as I laid eyes on Adam Baldwin, I've been hooked. I have been a fan of his for years, but lost touch of his work because of moving and finances. Zachary Levi is good eye candy, but he's literally a day younger than my brother. Even though my friend and I have had a falling out, I am still anticipating season 4 to begin. I am eager to see Chuck's mom. I hope you saw the season finale. If you didn't, I'm sorry I spoiled the surprise. Now it's your turn. What got you watching the show?
word count: 136

Dr.Valentine
Super Fan

Post by Dr.Valentine »

Christina speaking! Well, typing really x]

I've been thinking...everyone's always so miserable, alone, depressed, and they think they're the only ones..But, we all feel the same. All of us, together, are the same. If we could take five minutes out of each day to talk to the person to our right, a stranger, at a strange time, in a strange place, I know we'd all be dealing with the same problems! Love, loss, money, lonliness, envy, anger, but we isolate ourselves to a point of insanity, pushing the possibility of reaching out to one another so far away for so long we've lost the ability...The ability to share what truly needs to be divided amongst us..

Pain..

We can't do it by ourselves. We NEED those five minutes to cry over him, scream about his ignorance, freak out about never being happy or secure or loved, we need to scream at each other! Hate each other, envy each other, fear each other!! We need to FEEL each other!!

Maybe, just maybe, in those five minutes..We'll make a stranger happy..

~A random thought by Christina
word count: 195
"Work hard, and love the work and the 'work' becomes nothing other than the love." - TJ Thyne

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

Update on my internship. It's over. Actually, I went over my 150 hours. I had my evaluation today with my supervisor. For the most part, I did well, but I tend to dwell on the parts of things I don't. I'm trying not to, but like my boss said, that's the determined, conscientious side coming out in me. He noticed that I continually strive to improve myself and even though the internship is over, he's going to keep me on as a volunteer and work with me on my weak areas. My report is due Aug. 6 and my supervisor needs to have a meeting with the coordinator, so it'll be interesting if I get called into "the principal's office". lol.

By the way, I got my next two movies from Netflix. The Human Contract and Ghost World.
word count: 145

Dr.Valentine
Super Fan

Post by Dr.Valentine »

That's a good thing, that your supervisor person wants to keep you on :] I'm sure you're a great worker, seriously! Haha, Don't worry, I bet your "worst" is ten times everyone else's "best" :]
word count: 38
"Work hard, and love the work and the 'work' becomes nothing other than the love." - TJ Thyne