Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by skftex »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:Oh, to have enough money to contribute a larger amount to TJ's campaign for Theatre Junkies Moment Series... :eusa-shifty:

Alas, I was only able to give what I could, and I'll have to hope that some day soon his group will either bring the series to Chicago for viewing or put it on a purchasable DVD. I really want to see it!
Me too, gave what I could but it isn't much at all. I'm sure he understands and appreciates whatever anyone can give though. :)
Sinkwriter72 wrote:
P.S. The music in the trailer for it draws me in every time. Sharon, do you know who wrote the music? (Or would you be able to find out from Tj for us?) :romance-smileyheart:
Well, I'm fairly certain it was TJ. I was talking to him one night and he e-mailed me some things he was doing at the time, and one of them was the Moments trailer he was working on, and I seem to remember him saying he did the music. But if I have a chance I'll ask him to make sure I'm not spreading false info. ;)
word count: 196
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

If he wrote that beautiful music, I may have to propose to him. :icon-mrgreen:
word count: 13
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Might be a wee problem with that but you go ahead and do that. Well once I find out if he actually wrote it of course. ;)
word count: 26
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

LOL.

But, Sharon... the music.... it's so pretty, it calls to me.

:D
word count: 13

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:If he wrote that beautiful music, I may have to propose to him. :icon-mrgreen:
skftex wrote:Might be a wee problem with that but you go ahead and do that. Well once I find out if he actually wrote it of course. ;)
I know I have not been that much around lately, mainly because of work, gym.. so when I get home the desire to go online ain't there like it use to be - having to stare at a computer screen for 8-9 hrs..

Okay, have I missed something lately???? I'm thinking of Sharon's comment to Sherry's.. :eusa-think:
However I would like to donate but not sure if I'm able to - is for US citizens only or?? But, my finances aren't that good this month, had to cut back on PT (personal trainer) :( eventhough I'm getting a tax return but that's not being "released" at the end of the month.

Okay, in some other news - 10,4 kgs since late october has been lost, thanks to dietician and trainer and myself.. I'm only 2 kgs away from my first goal and when I hit that mark in two weeks (that's the plan) I'm allowed to buy a new bag, it's put on hold :-)

Better get going now - the laundry, light cleaning and then PT time -twice today, 1st w/ trainer and then later classes.. I know - crazy!!
word count: 240

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

What do you think you missed Hanne?

I wish more people would give something (it doesn't have to be one of the amounts listed) to TJ's Moment series thing, because I don't think people really know how hard that probably was for him to ask. :( Everyone wants something from him but aren't willing to help him do the thing he loves best. Hanne, I think you can give, because it allows you to give via paypal or credit card, you'll just have to take exchange rates/fees into account when putting the amount. And I believe it did ask me what country I was in.
word count: 110

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:If he wrote that beautiful music, I may have to propose to him. :icon-mrgreen:
No proposal necessary. He didn't write it. I asked the name but he said he'd have to look it up for me. He was on his way to work so couldn't check it today.
word count: 52

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

skftex wrote:I wish more people would give something (it doesn't have to be one of the amounts listed) to TJ's Moment series thing, because I don't think people really know how hard that probably was for him to ask.
I think I can understand that, Sharon. Sometimes I think it's really difficult to be a creative person and at the same time want to be able to make money doing what you love, because we'd rather concentrate on the creating of the project, not on selling it which is a whole other animal altogether. I think I would make a terrible salesperson. I just don't like to put a price on the things that I do (which is difficult when freelancing, doing websites), and I imagine the feeling is similar when you have to try to promote your work and get it out there. I don't envy TJ that part of it.

But I respect so much that he and his friends in Theatre Junkies are getting out there and doing what they can, both creatively and otherwise. So I wanted to contribute. I want them to succeed and be able to make more films and put on more plays. I want to be able to see their work. My only wish is that I could have afforded to give more. Perhaps if I were more established in my own job, I could. Maybe someday I'll be able to be a bigger benefactor of the arts. I sure would love that. :D

In the meantime, I hope people give whatever they can. Even the smallest amounts can add up to something really helpful. After all, we're here because we believe in and enjoy TJ's talents. Why wouldn't I want to honor that and keep it going if I can?

Frankly, I think this kind of approach is the wave of the future, in a way. Not so much the big conglomerations of networks and channels and such, but rather the independents making use of all this new media. The internet can be such a useful tool in that regard, in ways we never could have imagined even 10 or 20 years ago. The reach stretches farther (all over the world) and the actor/musician/artist can be closer to his or her fans at the same time and get their support in many ways because of it. It's like we get to be a part of the process, supporting it from the beginning, rather than simply buying it at the end of it all, you know what I mean?
word count: 441
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

FishFlyingBy
Fan

Post by FishFlyingBy »

I just contributed a little something.
I really hope that one day I'll be able to see all the great movies they're making. Their stories are so deep and moving. I loved Validation and would love to see Shuffle as well. Who knows, maybe one day.
word count: 48

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Anya, that is very kind of you. I hope you will get to see them too!
word count: 16

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Just went and gave them some "lunch money" lol. I just really want to SEE all this stuff now, including the other B&W ones I haven't seen yet. :)
word count: 30
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Yay. Very nice of you Ang, and TJ told me the other day every little bit helps so I'm sure he'll be thrilled with your donation. :)
word count: 28

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

So, spring break time for me. And it is very nice here and the poppies are blooming on the mountain, probably the best bloom we've seen since 2005. Yesterday my brother went out and took pictures so I thought I'd share them with you. I think he takes excellent pictures, much better than I would ever do. So this is maybe 2 miles from my house, I can see the mountain in these pictures from my house but not the flowers so much because of other houses, just to get an idea what it is like around where I live (partially for Anya since she had once asked if we'd show where we lived and I didn't ever post anything for her). The third picture is my favorite. :)

word count: 132

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

So pretty!!!
word count: 2
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

FishFlyingBy
Fan

Post by FishFlyingBy »

Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures Sharon, and thank you to your brother for taking them. I have never been to Texas yet, but hopefully one day, my friend and I will make the trip across the U.S. we are always talking about.
word count: 45

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi everyone. Really sorry I haven't been around this week, its been a really hard, sad week here. On Monday night my brother called us, his wife had collapsed. After spending all night at the hospital she sadly died early Tuesday morning-she was 47 years old. So this week was spent trying to help my brother deal with all of that. The memorial service was this morning. I probably won't be on much the next week or so, due to a test coming up and needing to help my brother with some things he has to do.
word count: 100

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Oh my gosh, Sharon! That's devastating. Do the doctors know what it was? It's so sudden, and she was so young. :icon-confused:

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. *hugs hugs hugs*

Let me know if you need anything whatsoever. <3
word count: 44

FishFlyingBy
Fan

Post by FishFlyingBy »

It is so sad to hear that Sharon. I'm sorry that you and your family have to go through this.

I wish there was something I could do to help. I'll be thinking of you and your family and I wish you lot's of strength. *hugs*
word count: 49

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Thanks Sherry and Anya. :)

Sherry, apparently she had pneumonia and didn't know it, she was sick over the weekend but it was a cough so they thought it was a cold. But then being sick caused her to not want to eat, and she was diabetic, so not eating caused her blood sugar to spike, and then she had a heart attack and collapsed. They actually got her heart started again, they had to do CPR three times before she got to the hospital, and the hospital wasn't that far from where they lived. But she was breathing only with help of a machine. And her brain had been without oxygen too long during the times they were trying to resuscitate so there was no brain activity. So when she went into arrest again early Tuesday morning they just didn't try to resuscitate again and let her go, she was already gone anyway, they were just keeping her alive. :(
word count: 162

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Oh, Sharon... that is so awful. I'm so sorry. :(

It's such a scary thing. My older sister had pneumonia a couple of Christmases ago, and she ended up in the hospital. She kept telling me it was no big deal, but I still thought it was upsetting and kind of scary because you just never know. Sometimes things happen. And she's my big sister, so I can't handle the thought of anything happening to her. Just like I can't handle the thought of anything happening to my younger brother, either.

I am so sorry for your brother's loss. I can't imagine what he must be feeling right now. Or any of you. It's terrible to lose the ones you love, but I think it's even harder when it's so unexpected and startling like that.

If you want to talk, just let me know, okay? *sends more hugs your way*

xoxoxoxoo
word count: 160