Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Dr.Valentine
Super Fan

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Dr.Valentine »

ThyneAlone wrote:Well, I hope you don't think it means we don't care. It isn't a frivolous reaction, it is genuine concern and relief that it wasn't so much worse. Now you look after yourself!!!

Oh no, I know that it means you have the best intentions for me in mind :]
word count: 55
"Work hard, and love the work and the 'work' becomes nothing other than the love." - TJ Thyne

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

Hi Christine. I read all the posts and empathize with you. I experiemented with something I saw Rachel Ray do and I set my pinkie and ring finger on fire as a result. My school nurse and friends told me to not try to be Rachel Ray anymore. I'm Kelly Louchart. I need to be me, not her. I know I'm immature, so that's why they had to talk to me that way.

Hi everyone. I've got some good news and bad news. The bad news is that my eye sight is getting worse than it already is. I'll keep the medical terms to myself. I have had a droopy eye lid in the right eye since I was born and it's even droopier now. The opthalmologist is considering sending me to someone else to determine whether surgery is worth it. My left eye is a mystery as to why everything is blurry. I am already dealing with a scar on the cornea and the doctor "suspects" that's the cause. More tests are going to be ran in two weeks.

The good news is my internship is done and the portfolio with the report is handed in. I had a good weekend with my parents and the lack of stress from the internship was a big reason why. Fall semester doesn't start until the end of the month, so I have some freedom for a little while.

I hope everyone else is having a good summer/holiday.
word count: 255

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Oh my gosh, Kelly! That's it! No more people setting themselves on fire! :naughty: I forbid it! We want everyone to be healthy and happy.

:D

Seriously though, what were you trying to make? Was it something involving a torch? (Like creme brulee?)

I'm sorry to hear about your eye. I hope your doctor gives you good news. What outcome are you hoping for? Is there something they could do that might help you with your vision? Or to help lift the eyelid?
word count: 83

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

LOL! You know how Rachel uses a long towel in order to drain pasta? Well, my towel wasn't long enough and it had fringe on each end, so the fringe caught fire and since my hand was there...I digress.

I'm hoping for clarification and answers with my eyes. Hoprfully my mom being with me this time will help. The right eye can look forward to a blepharoplasty, where the surgeon finds some unnecessary skin between the eyelid and brow to remove it. That will automatically raise the eye lid. The surgery may be only cosmetic, though, not improving my eyesight at all. With the left, the tests will hopefully answer why I'm blurry all the time. If the scar is the problem, the only way to correct that is to get what's called a corneal transplant. So, we'll just have to wait until Aug. 25 at 4 o'clock Eastern Standard Time for the tests to be done.
word count: 164

Dr.Valentine
Super Fan

Post by Dr.Valentine »

Kelly! I'm so sorry "/

My friend Haley has the same issue with her right eye, she always joked it was the only way she could "cock her eyebrow" haha, but I don't think she had the blurry vision along with it :( I hope the tests go well!! Let us know if there's anything we can do, research, pray, anything!
word count: 62
"Work hard, and love the work and the 'work' becomes nothing other than the love." - TJ Thyne

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Kelly--sorry about your eyes, that's tough. It's frustrating that medical science has come so far but ophthalmology seems to be lacking in some ways. I'm very nearsighted with significant astigmatism. Recently I was told that I was given the most specialized contacts available and if they don't work I'm out of luck in that area. A surgery such as Lasix may not be that successful either. I'm comfortable with my glasses, but I'm more worried about the fact I'm only 31. I'll be blind at this rate! Good luck with the tests! Fingers crossed for you. Oh and I say colander next time :wink:

On another note I registered for eHarmony today and did the VERY long "dimensions of compatibility" questionnaire. :doh: I initially was optimistic about the site since my mom and stepfather met through it, but found it a little frustrating. It's like are you very sensitive, somewhat sensitive, or not at all sensitive? Well, sensitive as in I cry at movies or I'm offended easily (no) or sensitive to others (I think so)?

Some are really hard to know how to answer: how do you rate yourself on a scale of 1-7 in attractiveness? I don't think I'm ugly, but I'm no model and don't want to come off as egotistical.

After going through everything I only had 7 matches in the entire US (I selected anywhere in the US since I'm able to relocate if necessary). Seven? So either I'm really difficult to live with or they REALLY narrow it down. One did sound kind of promising-a psychologist. :think: He'd probably find more to analyze than love about my little family though :P I can't even see their pictures or find out more about them without paying $24 a month which I can't afford to do, so that kind of ended that little experiment for now. I may have to ease up on some requirements if I go back to it. I put chemistry/attraction was VERY important (yes, I want the fairy tale). Not sure why there were even lesser options for that question?

Anyhow, best just to wait (impatiently)for now, I guess. :?

Take care everyone! :geek:
word count: 381
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Chemistry and attraction are high for everyone you'd think? I mean, people might date someone they aren't attracted to but that eventually has to come or what is the point? LOL
word count: 33
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Eyes are supposed to be the window of the soul and the fact is that the world we live in is ever more visually inclined. Not surprising that the loss of any efficiency there frightens us. I personally, have had excellent vision most of my life, but computers and endless reading and marking are taking their toll. I now notice that one of my eyes is doing most of the close-up stuff while the other works the distance. I probably need glasses and it's about time I had a test - it's been ages. My mum has had a cataract op recently too, my husband has always had a slight squint and I once had to deal with a youngster with a detached retina while on a school trip to France, so I know that eye problems can be very distressing: good luck to you both.

Sharon has summed up the main reason why I don't like the idea of cyberpairing, that you can't feel chemistry over the Net. And Ang expresses another - that those questionnaires can never be specific enough to the individual. As for rating your own attractiveness, well how impossible is that?! So subjective by its very nature. I've got this asymmetrical face and rather overweight body that, given my lack of self-esteem, I'd probably rate about a 3 or a 4, but I know for a fact my partner thinks I'm a 6 or so! Nevertheless, if only 7 matches were turned up, it must mean they've narrowed it down to some extent. Pity that money now becomes an essential! Again - good luck. :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :handgestures-thumbup:
word count: 276
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

Christine – Thank you. Prayer is appreciated right now. My church has me on their prayer chain and I have pastors praying for me. We aren’t only praying for the doctors to have wisdom, but a way to pay for all these appointments since I don’t have vision insurance.

Ang – That Lasix surgery is a joke for my condition. I hope it isn’t for yours. It worked on my mom, but she doesn’t have scratched and permanent scarred eyes. I empathize with you about being so young and going blind. Basically, I’ve been going blind since age 5 when the second surgery to fix the right eye lid failed. Thirty years later, the eyes are showing more and more signs that it will happen soon. I’ve even been thinking of how my life would be without my sight. First of all, I won’t be able to continue on with this forum and then there’s my Facebook page. There is one positive so far, I don’t have to stop reading. I can learn Braille or invest in books on tape. Well, I better stop thinking about something that may happen soon or may not happen for another thirty years. This is something to talk about with my social worker.

Far as eHarmony, you specified the exact reasons why I haven’t tried it. Those specific questions require one to know oneself and be confident in what they say to be true. Even the television commercials stump me with the questions that are asked. Being a major depressive, it takes my medication, cognitive therapy, and daily compliments to think positively about myself. I definitely would not be compatible with anyone from that site. The psychologist you spoke of, though, made me wonder how that date would work out. I remember daydreaming once of dating my psychologist. He knew how I ticked and it made our relationship closer than the average couple.
word count: 327

Dr.Valentine
Super Fan

Post by Dr.Valentine »

Ang! EHarmony is a great step :] It means you're totally ready to find someone, and you're moving closer to accepting yourself fully and putting who you truly are out there for the taking!! Woo Hoo dating! Good luck if you decide to subscribe, and good luck even if you don't :] There's always the random elevator hottie :wink:
word count: 60

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

A quick message to Sharon and Steph:

I just saw the notice about all of us being able to have a Talk with Tj this Saturday, and I just wanted to say, WhOO! FUN! :dance:

:happy-wavemulticolor:

This should be a very interesting experiment. :D All I can say is, everyone remember to refresh your screens as you go along! Hee.

Thank you, Tj! You are a very brave and generous man. :mrgreen: Looking forward to chatting with you!

Hmm... I wonder what I should ask. :think:
word count: 81
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Yes, yes, thank you TJ for doing this!! And to Sharon and Steph for coordinating! :clap: :dance:

Kelly: Just to clarify, I don't think I'm going blind but definitely headed to "coke-bottle" frames if the progression doesn't slow down. Didn't mean to diminish the severity of your condition, I was just venting. Good luck with your tests!

Just mommy bragging: My son who is almost 3 has now tested out of the early intervention program, meaning he is average or above for his age in terms of development. I had put him in the program since my oldest has autism but he is doing great; no signs of delay at this point! And my oldest started 1st grade today (thank goodness) He did so well in Kindergarten that he no longer needs to be pulled out for special education help, just regular 1st grade class. Excited and relieved :clap:

I just took the eharmony profile down for now...Had a girls' night last night that helped me feel a lot better about the situation. It will happen eventually!
word count: 180
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

silverwings
Fan

Post by silverwings »

Hi!

I feel like I should introduce myself a bit more...

My real name is Casey, but you can just call me silver or silverwings. Um...I'm sort of shy. I wear glasses but will probably get contacts soon. I can be a bit of a fangirl at times so please bear with me on that :D (please?) Not many of my friends watch Bones (let alone know much (or even anything!) about TJ, lol)

I hope to major in geology/mineralogy. I'm thinking about getting a dog (Golden Retriever? Cocker Spaniel?)...my friends are weird...(one of them told me about the Norwegian Blood Eagle, a type of torture that I think was mentioned in one of the episodes?) I like using ellipses... :P

Okay, that wasn't really much, but I have nothing else interesting to mention.
word count: 139
"Look no further than their art and you will have gathered their very souls." - TJ Thyne

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Casey! (or silver) It is good to know your name. Thanks! I know you aren't going to believe this but I'm shy as well. Or I can be, not so much online but in person I tend to be a bit more quiet. Shocking I know!
word count: 49
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Welcome to all the newbies! I hope you find lots of fun and friendship here online at TJ's site!

:text-welcomewave:

Sharon (skftex) and Steph (ThyneAlone) are our helpful, fearless leaders, so if you have any questions or concerns about the site, they are awesome people and will have plenty of answers for you. And everyone else here on site is so friendly and kind, any one of them will likely chime in as well. Enjoy your visit! Come back anytime, check out the multitude of threads, and join in on the discussions!

We here love a good conversation. :D

Sherry
aka Sinkwriter72
word count: 101
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

SirRose
Fan

Post by SirRose »

Fearless Leaders! Great to be able to put a title to a name!

Hey, silverwings, I'm new around here, too. We could be newbie buddies! :mrgreen:

Just dropping in to the OT thread to wave at everyone and up the hype for the chat with TJ on Saturday! Who's planning on joining it?

AngMT wrote:Just mommy bragging: My son who is almost 3 has now tested out of the early intervention program, meaning he is average or above for his age in terms of development. I had put him in the program since my oldest has autism but he is doing great; no signs of delay at this point! And my oldest started 1st grade today (thank goodness) He did so well in Kindergarten that he no longer needs to be pulled out for special education help, just regular 1st grade class. Excited and relieved
That's great news for you son! I was in and out of special ed programs/testing for most of Elementary school, and though I didn't have any type of developmental delays (I was in it for ADHD/behavioral problems, then they did another bunch of tests and apparently I hit the "gifted" markers, which makes me curious as to waht those tests look for at all) I was friends (and still am) with many of the kids in the groups that did. One of my best friends has High Functioning Autism, and I have to say that seeing people with developmental problems or mental/physical birth defects as human beings instead of laughingstocks early on in life is one of the most positive things I've been a part of.
word count: 279

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

AngMT wrote:

Kelly: Just to clarify, I don't think I'm going blind but definitely headed to "coke-bottle" frames if the progression doesn't slow down. Didn't mean to diminish the severity of your condition, I was just venting. Good luck with your tests!

Thank you. I'll let you and everyone else know the results as they come in.

About TJ Saturday, I don't know if I'll have the guts to come on the site to chat with him. That's how shy I am. Something did happen on Facebook earlier today that I'm going to post in that forum.
word count: 107

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Kelly, I really really hope you decide to come. TJ is the sweetest man on earth and he's doing this for people like you, who care enough to show up and spend time out of YOUR day to talk about him and be interested in his work. Why don't you just show up and at least lurk and see how it goes?
word count: 64

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I second that, Kelly! Tj (and the rest of us) can't see you, we definitely will not judge you in any way, and besides that, we're all a friendly group... there's nothing to be scared of here. We'll help you and chime in and encourage you! :mrgreen: Trust me -- you'll be glad you did. :dance:

*nudges you gently*

LIke Sharon said, come to visit, lurk until you feel comfortable, and then pop on in! If it helps, think about what you might like to ask ahead of time, and even write it down so you won't feel flustered in the moment. How does that sound? :D
word count: 109

Kelly
Fan

Post by Kelly »

Thanks you two. I guess I'm nervous because I don't know how this works and I've never spoken with a celebrity before. I trust you all that you'll be supportive of me and the other newbies in the group. I don't remember who said it, but the phrase "You fear what you don't understand" coems to mind. I don't understand how the chat box box works and so I figure I won't understand how TJ can talk with all of us. Writing down questions and silently observing, posting comments on what I read sounds fun. Reading people's posts and commenting in chat rooms on Myspace got me started with that mess. Is that kind of what I'm up for Saturday? What about the time zone thing, too? I'm sorry I'm acting this way. I've been called immature lately at work and I guess I'm showing it on here.
word count: 162