Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by skftex »

Lore I'm thinking it probably was a teenager...but still was very funny to me...I guess because I'm older than TJ so I see the "creepy" thing from the other angle!! :dance:
word count: 34
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Of course we missed you Steph! Have you enjoyed the new DW special? (Is this right or do I need to ask: Did you enjoyed.... or Did you enjoy...??? - grammar is not my thing! :oops: :wink: ) Hope I'm gonna catch it somewhere soon, too! And I hope you had a great time in France!

Jan, wow you gonna have 5 kids! That must be very time consuming!

OK I need to tell you what happend today - well yesterday because it's after midnight here in Germany. I bought myself a new car! That happend so fast. I'm still in shock! :wink: I was looking for a new one a few months now but didn't find the right one with the right price. Well, the one I bought now costs a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it is so cool! But I always question such decisions. Was it the right one? Is the car ok? Isn't that too much money I need to pay for the next - I think - about 4 years? Can I really afford it?
I was surprised myself that I made this decision. It's always a bit tough for me to do so. My family was surprised, too, that I didn't even call and ask them, but I needed to close this subject - and everything happend so fast! I hope it was the right decision! That all must sound a bit confused and I must say I am a bit confused!

Oh, and I will miss my old car! But I have about 4 months to "say good bye", because I will get the new one in August. But it's sad! I think I will cry when I give him away!

OK, enough now! I will go to bed, soon, to have enough power searching Easter eggs! :)

Good night!

Simone.
word count: 309
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

oooh What sort of car did you get?

And what color :D

It's always fun to get new stuff, even if it's hard to let go of the old stuff. :3
word count: 32

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Lorenith wrote:oooh What sort of car did you get?

And what color :D
Hi Lore! Thanks for asking! Forgot to mention that! :) It's the new Ford Ka in "Sunrise Red" :) ! I hope it was the right decision! But, well, after 4 years I can decide if I will sell him to the car dealer and buy another one or keep it. So I think for the next 4 years it's the right decision! It's just a bit smaler than my current car.
Lorenith wrote:It's always fun to get new stuff, even if it's hard to let go of the old stuff. :3
Yeah, I guess you're right! I'm always very attached to my cars so as you said it will be hard to let go! Hope I will have fun with my new car!

Simone.
:auto-driving: :auto-layrubber:
word count: 143

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

giggles
Fan

Post by giggles »

Thanks for the congrats :) Could I ask you girl a favour and help me pick a good name for my little boy? lol :D
word count: 23

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ooh, difficult one, Jan! What sort of names (I won't ask for specifics, it is not wise to go throwing out details of your kids in open web discussion)) do your girls have? Modern, old-fashioned, religious, nationality-specific, famous people's or characters' names? It is good to have 'matching' ones.

I couldn't believe the considerations necessary when choosing a child's name. Surname-compatibility with name and initials (no silly stuff like Teresa Green or her brother I. P.), no unflattering contractions, something liked by both parents and, preferably, grandparents, nothing that can be 'skitted' at school.. it goes on.

Give us a clue and I'll think seriously about it.
word count: 115
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Just saw DW - Planet Of The Dead! Hm...well, there are better episodes!
Simone.
word count: 14

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Didn't you like it, Simone? I really enjoyed that one, what with the lovely Dubai backdrop and the London bus and the horrifying planet eaters..and it had an Anomaly! I know you like Anomalies - or would that be just the Henshall kind?? ;)

If you promise to take the answer to the Random Thread (which is more geared to our interests outside TJ), I'll ask you...what's your favourite DW ep?
word count: 74

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Is the chat box acting wonky for anyone else? It keeps timing out for me right now.
word count: 17

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ah I'm glad it's not just me. It does seem to happen more at some times than others. That's how I get double posts - it times out, tells me the posting has failed and then puts the message up anyway just as I re-post!

I can only say that it doesn't seem to be a consistent problem; we'll keep an eye on it; tell me when it plays up.
word count: 75

oonagh
Fan

Post by oonagh »

i flicked through the page and it was strange, I saw big grilled cheese sandwich and then socially retarded, the poor sandwich!
Can we eat cheese on the sofa, promise I won't eat the crumbly kind, a bit of leicester, but rather a bit of brie!

Well what can I say, apart from this is all really interesting, and that i have just watched 3 episodes of Bones in a row, not on the sofa, left that behind me.... hee...the bed is calling to me........grr

Ok OK , who is this pedantic wanderer??? well let me see, I am Oonagh... yep...that is pretty much it, I do have s surname, but it is vile...

I am a pharmacist...wait intake of breath....soooooo booooorrrrinnng yaaawwwwnnn... actually back to college to do be a scientist, love Bones love the sofa, ... there are smilies on the side of this page and they are looking at me... definitely have to go now, they are wobbling and one has big feet or are they ears...need my eyes tested, CAOI WOW and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
word count: 182

giggles
Fan

Post by giggles »

WOW!!! :shock: lol

Right I dont mind giving out my kids names here :) They are Amber Calum, Summer and Tyler. I like unusual names but its harder to pick boys names that are different. We were going for Ethan Thomas but I have gone off them!! lol. Now Hayden is creeping into the lead but I'm still not sure!! The names I like are Caleb, Cillian, Kirren, Dane.... but my hubby really doesn't like any of them!! lol :? I'm sure I'll pick loads before he's here!! lol
word count: 91

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

You got a lot of C's in there, how about Casey?
word count: 12

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

OK - you like unusual names, 2-syllable on the whole, so rhythmic, and final -n as well as start C or K.

Kane, Kean or Kelvin for K and N?

or simple -n endings, which you find in Celtic, Latin and Hebrew names like Martin, Warren, Aylwyn, Dunstan, Merlin, Cadogan, Ivan, Jordan, Tobin, Nathan, Finn and Morgan (Quentin would be appropriate for a 5th child but tends to be associated with the eccentricities of Quentin Crisp)?

Or maybe carry on the nature/Summer theme with Storm or River?

or go for unusual famous names such as Noah, Orlando, Jude, Oscar, Keanu?

Those are the ones I thought of randomly. But I also unearthed quite a good website to browse with your husband. Hope it helps!
word count: 125

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

I like Damian or Connor!

Just would like to tell you that I cancelled the order of my new car. I realized that I cannot afford it. Well, I should have thought about that before I signed! I didn't want to buy that car but the car dealer somehow made me to. :teasing-signhere: Well, I shouldn't do such things alone! I'm gonna keep my old car now. I love it so much anyway! I really wanted a new one but now that I made that decision (after a panic attack and 2 sleepless nights :roll: ) I'm somehow very reliefed! Hope everything went right with the cancellation! *knock on wood*

Simone.
word count: 112

giggles
Fan

Post by giggles »

Some great names there but we still can't agree on 1 lol xxx
word count: 14

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I was promising to say what I did in France but haven't had time to write anything in detail! It was fairly busy from the supervision point of view. One of the boys somehow and stupidly managed to purchase a pellet gun while we were there - strictly forbidden. He will be dealt with properly when we return to school - I didn't want to wreck the remainder of his vacation by telling his parents about it as soon as we returned, but it's not something we can ignore. Then there was the boy who poured a bottle of water all over a dorm-mate's bed, and another who poured a bottle of Coke all over someone from a balcony. And finally one of my superbly supportive colleagues woke up delirious and with a raging fever and sore throat on her last morning!

However, as usual we managed. The first time I went someone had a detached retina, and once you've coped with that you can do practically anything.

The schedule was much like last year - fifteen hour coach/ferry trip taking us onto the borders of Normandy and Brittany (lucky it wasn't this week, the French fishermen's barricading of the Channel ports would have caused chaos!), outings to Laval market, a French hypermarket, Mont St Michel, St Malo, a small chocolate factory and an animal sanctuary, plus afternoon activity sessions including fencing, archery, zip wire, aeroball, initiative exercises and wall climbing and evening entertainments including a Blind Date session, a treasure hunt, a French quiz, a fancy dress parade, a brief disco and a talent show - with a little bit of extra time devoted to watching Liverpool FC's defeat on Sky Sports on Wednesday. As you can see it is a horrendously packed itinerary, but it's always huge fun. What do I like about it? weeeeelll...

I love getting to know my colleagues better. We were a stunning team this time. I love the sharp air, the occasional moo or bleat and the singing of unfamiliar birds at dawn in the chateau's gorgeous grounds. I love hearing French spoken round me again. I love walking the walls of St Malo with their fantastic vista over the harbour and the narrow streets of Mont St Michel in any weather (it rained this time!). I love the picturesque villages unfolding in our wake as the coach streaks through the countryside. I love choosing gifts for my family, especially at the chocolate shop! I love the food. You'll never get bread and croissants like it, and it's all substantial, very French and delicious. I even love getting the odd text to and from home so I can tell everyone how I'm doing. It's just all really hard work but simultaneously so exhilarating. Nothing like it.

That's as short a description as I can manage. It's a trip that is a nightmare to organise (I took real trouble to arrange a visa waiver for a boy with an Indian passport, only to find out at the very last minute that he was ill and unable to travel) but fun to be on. I imagine I'll be doing it for a while yet!
word count: 544

Lorenith
Fan

Post by Lorenith »

Sounds like you had a good time despite the shenanigans of all the boys!

I guess boys will be boys though huh?
word count: 22

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi All

Just making a quick visit and catching up with the conversation.

Steph it sounds like France was a blast and seems like the boys' antics made it very interesting!

It reminds me of when I was at Aigburth Vale girls school and we went to Rouen. Some of the older girls got into major trouble for buying alcohol, my friend nearly broke her neck falling off the top bunk during a card game and we had the fire exit blocked with a wardrobe 'cos some German lads kept trying to sneak up the back stairs, fun and games.

Just wanted to add my thoughts to the name discussion, my fave boys names are Milo, Shea and Finn.

Another quick one, I don't know if anyone has caught American Idol this season but I'm liking Adam, very dramatic and cool.

Anyway I'm off to make some minestrone soup in a mo and then I think I'll have a chilling afternoon there's some 'Bones' on Sky then the footy and just for today I'm a blue.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 187

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

LOL that sounds like an amazing Rouen visit! I don't know whether I'd like to do it with older kids or girls - they cover up their tracks better and tend to be keener on seeking out alcohol and the opposite sex! Still, all part of life's rich tapestry, hey?
Jude40 wrote:just for today I'm a blue.
Oh, deffo. Son no.2 also, and I expect to be throwing lots of texts back and forth to son no.1 who has just returned to uni in Leeds! :( miss him..
word count: 93