Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by TJ4ever »

Yeah, Rebecca, wish you a lot of fun! Say hi to Steph!
word count: 12
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi sweeties, yes; we are all hugely excited about Rebecca's visit even though we will only be able to meet for one evening before she and her companions head back over the pond!

Rebecca - I will unfortunately be at work until at least 4pm. Ian should be around from about 2.30 unless he gets taken for cover at school, in which case he could be only a little earlier than me. We're looking round for a restaurant that will suit everyone, so is there any type of food that members of your party favour/hate/are allergic to? Let us know. And have a wonderful, wonderful time. Seeing you will be fantastic!
word count: 115
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Hello Steph,

After 4:00 it is! As far as the restaurant goes, none of us are too fussy and will enjoy whatever type of food you suggest. We'll eat anything from Indian to sushi to traditional English fare--no problem!
word count: 42
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

whooaaaaaa! so rebecca is visiting Steph ... look at that, it's great! good luck with the trip and I hope you have an amazing time together. It's an awesome feeling when you get to know in person the people with whom you chat regularly through forums and emails. I've met 6 bones fans from my own forum and it's great, every time we meet we have some big time chatting nosense about the show, characters, cast and of course, about life...sometimes....when Bones' topics are over.. hehehe.

I was going through a bones group over facebook when I came across this manip pic of TJ, firemen style. Crazy stuff around facebook (HA! this coming from the person that manip brennan/booth pics to make it look like they are in their own wedding!!)

anyway, i thought it would be nice to share it with you all. It was funny when I first saw it. And by the way if any of you have facebook add me -you can search me by my complete name Sofia Fagnilli. ;)
word count: 180
~ s o f i

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara »

O_O

Granted, I create manips for fun to blow off steam all the time (I spent waaaay too much time making book covers at Outpost Gallifrey a while back) but I am a little wigged by fireman!Hodgins.

(Granted, that doesn't mean I haven't watched the season one wrap reel multiple times, just to see Michaela totally lose it when TJ walks in in his pants and messenger bag and nothing else. Corpsing = always hilarious)
word count: 78
In a world full of Uma Thurmans, everyone has an inner Janine Garafolo who needs to be taken out dancing every once in a while.

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Yeah, the German team made it to the final at the European Soccer Championship! :D The game is on Sunday! I´ll keep you posted!

Simone
word count: 25

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

Tara wrote:O_O

Granted, I create manips for fun to blow off steam all the time (I spent waaaay too much time making book covers at Outpost Gallifrey a while back) but I am a little wigged by fireman!Hodgins.
So you are the artist behind the pic! hahaha it's great, you did an awesome job with it. Really (the gag reel scene was very inspiring i see :P ). Sorry if you didn't want it to get posted over here, ( i can remove it if you want ) and don't worry, I do the same as i said before but with pics of emily/david...like here. I don't watch doctor who but those book covers are awesome, and you did a loooot!
word count: 126
~ s o f i

mariposa
Fan

Post by mariposa »

sofilps wrote: anyway, i thought it would be nice to share it with you all. It was funny when I first saw it. And by the way if any of you have facebook add me -you can search me by my complete name Sofia Fagnilli. ;)
Hi Sofia,

I just signed on as a fan earlier today (well, technically, yesterday). I was going to post some more stuff about me on this thread and I saw that you're in Bs. As. My family and I were just there! We spent 9 days in Bs. As. and a week up at Puerto Iguazu. We are moving to Bs. As. in probably 3-4 years. We LOVED it! My maiden name is Pezzotta and I'm half-Italian, so I TOTALLY loved the culture - and the food! A lot of my Spanish came back, but I can't wait to tackle the language learning intensely. More on that later ...

Ciao!
word count: 158
Mariposa
"More matter with less art." (Gertrude, in Hamlet, Act II, scene ii)

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ahhhh, sofa time at last. I fling myself down on the cushions and a mocha appears magically in my hands. Can I get you anything, Marie?

How could I possibly be so steamrollered by schoolwork as to miss such an extraordinary individual moving quietly to our window seat (that's the look-out-and-comment-intelligently-on-the-world-outside one btw - there are far too many people squashing up there at the moment)? Welcome to you! I have had such pleasure perusing your remarkable, articulate contributions this morning (positive proof - I was nearly late for my 6-weekly hairdresser's appointment while I polished them off like a sumptuous meal, and that is practically unheard-of) and feel so privileged to know so much about you, your family and your forthright love of true acting talent. To find out as much about me you will have to cruise the very early pages of this thread - at least until I manage to discover whether we have the software here to create proper profiles a la MySpace and, on a smaller scale, other forums of this type.

Suffice to say that I am one of this unruly, quirky but lovable crowd's moderators, and I should have greeted you as soon as you wandered in, but Sherry, who generously stepped into the breach there, will confirm that as an educator at the end of term and tether, I have been buried in admin of late -red tape no fun to breathe in, I promise you, still a good 100 or so reports to do, with the same number behind me, and an Induction evening on Monday - and have had to limit my visits to the point of cold turkey. Rebecca, our other mod, and yet another teacher, is already on vacation and making her way round England, Scotland and Ireland even as I speak. I'll be meeting her for a meal in my city of Liverpool next Friday - so excited!

We have a vast well of talent here, as I believe Sherry has told you elsewhere - actors, singers, artists, poets, writers of various genres - I love coming here. You asked elsewhere about fanfic. This is fan fiction, writing for the masses, which existed before but exploded onto the Net for quite obvious reasons - where fans take the characters they love, be it from literature, film, TV, whatever, and weave their own scenarios about them. Some are sisters to literature themselves, beautifully crafted, maintaining the characters, situation and dialogue. Some are specific genres - adult stuff, angst, same-sex pairings, alternative universe. Some are dross, but the writers do get the chance to grow and develop and receive (usually) helpful feedback from their more experienced colleagues. Sites like fanfic.net, to which a couple of our members belong, are like a writing democracy. A warning though - they're huge!

I am married with two gorgeous sons, 19 and 15, I teach French and German to 11-18-year-olds, write poetry and am involved in various branches of drama and choral singing (my husband, who teaches drama, also does a lot of semi-pro and amateur operatic work). I have moderated since 2001 on a support website for sufferers of epilepsy, from which I also suffer in a very mild form (don't drive, but that has been the only frustration, it's never hindered me any other way). Plus I love all kinds of craft in my spare time, mainly making teddy bears for friends, relatives, charity and commissions. One of our members here has received a handmade teddy from me, and if anyone else is interested and doesn't mind giving me his/her address (and I would expect people to be chary of that on the Net), I'm more than willing to oblige; my holidays commence on July 10th and I will be turning to my old friend the sewing machine for relaxation.

I hope you feel thoroughly welcome here - here's your coffee, did you want sugar? - and spend many happy hours trawling our banks of wisdom and spreading the TJ love.

Steph x
word count: 687

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

mariposa wrote:Hi Sofia,

I just signed on as a fan earlier today (well, technically, yesterday). I was going to post some more stuff about me on this thread and I saw that you're in Bs. As. My family and I were just there! We spent 9 days in Bs. As. and a week up at Puerto Iguazu. We are moving to Bs. As. in probably 3-4 years. We LOVED it! My maiden name is Pezzotta and I'm half-Italian, so I TOTALLY loved the culture - and the food! A lot of my Spanish came back, but I can't wait to tackle the language learning intensely. More on that later ...
Hi Marie! First of all, Welcome to the board!! :) Second, how great to know that you've been around here lately, maybe you've found the city in a mess because we are going through some government vs. people issues...but I hope that everything went just fine. I went to Puerto Iguazu when I was younger with my parents, it's beautiful right? I loved it. So you're coming to live here, WOW! that's a huge change...isn't it?
You can practice your spanish with me anytime! hehehe You know that it's weird to know someone that likes our food, but now i'm thinking, as you are half italian...we have things in common...some. :D
word count: 235
~ s o f i

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Hi Tara!
I watch Doctor Who from time to time, too. Liked the old Doctor better. Last time I watched it there was a new, younger one. :?

Do you watch PRIMEVAL, too? I love it! Douglas Henshall is so great! (Not as great as TJ, but very close! :wink: )

Simone
word count: 49

English Al
Fan

Post by English Al »

I'm going to but in and say I'm a big Doctor Who fan (classic and present). Patrick Troughton is my favourite Doctor (although I didn't start watching it until the mid-late 80's - I was only born in 82 lol).

I tried to get into Primeval but didn't like it (or the CG) but my wife watched the first series.
word count: 65

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara »

sofilps wrote:So you are the artist behind the pic!
erm, nope, not me! I was just saying that I enjoy doing manips in otehr fandoms, but I'm a little wigged by the NSFW ones. I think it's the putting someone's head on someone else's nekkid body that I flail and run away--but sticking heads on clothed bodies I'm weirdly okay with.

Glad you like the DW bookcovers, though! I really loevd them--I am good friends with the artist who currently does all the Doctor Who and Torchwood covers, and he has been giving me great pointers and useful critical feedback. I don't work in print much--just digital art, since I am a web designer in my day job.

I was an Old Skool Who fan (I started with the Fourth Doctor when I was in my teens, but really loved the Fifth Doctor best, because I was a huge Campion fan and loved Peter Davison's work, and can't wait to see his current series as well) who is a die-hard New Series fan as well. I think Chris Eccleston was extraordinary in the part, and am really enjoying Tennant as well. He's turned in some brilliant performances the last two years. I particularly loved "Human Nature" and really hope it wins the Hugo.
word count: 227
In a world full of Uma Thurmans, everyone has an inner Janine Garafolo who needs to be taken out dancing every once in a while.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

English Al wrote:I'm going to but in and say I'm a big Doctor Who fan (classic and present). Patrick Troughton is my favourite Doctor (although I didn't start watching it until the mid-late 80's - I was only born in 82 lol).

I tried to get into Primeval but didn't like it (or the CG) but my wife watched the first series.
Ah we have something in common, Alan! My house is a haven for Who fans. Having an obsessive 15-year-old in the home is strangely liberating, you have a watertight excuse for your own obsessions. I loved Patrick Troughton too, he was one of the heroes of my youth. The other one I quite liked during the classic showings was Peter Davison, because he was younger and so gave a slightly different spin on things. But Tom Baker put me off for a long time, I stopped watching; there was this archness, this knowing quality about him sometimes, I felt he was overplaying for laughs and not taking it seriously enough.

And, about Primeval; we watched the first series together, as I quite liked the actors, and then I lost interest. It was like a story going nowhere with something different coming through the holes each week and really, who cared about the time-prowling wife? Yes, that was the trouble; I need to care about the characters I watch and believe in them. That can be removed from me by poor writing or incompetent acting. I think TJ has been encumbered by some pretty silly scripts in S3 of Bones, but he delivers it all with such skill and conviction that I believe in Hodgins wholeheartedly.

Born in 82 and 3rd child soon to arrive? Good grief man, I wasn't even married when I was your age!! :)
Tara wrote:I was an Old Skool Who fan (I started with the Fourth Doctor when I was in my teens, but really loved the Fifth Doctor best, because I was a huge Campion fan and loved Peter Davison's work, and can't wait to see his current series as well) who is a die-hard New Series fan as well. I think Chris Eccleston was extraordinary in the part, and am really enjoying Tennant as well. He's turned in some brilliant performances the last two years. I particularly loved "Human Nature" and really hope it wins the Hugo.
Yes to all that. Though maybe I saw Davison in a rosier light, having disliked the Fourth Doctor. Have revelled in the 9th and 10th, as you seem to have, and the writing has been superlative. Just watched the penultimate ep of S4 of New Who and I can't wait for the big finish next week. I'm sorry that Russell T Davies is handing over the charge of the programme, but at least Steve Moffat is a more than reliable replacement!
word count: 492

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara »

*lolz* In 1982, was 9, and probably still in my "Wonder Woman" and "Greatest American Hero" phases. I'll be 35, but alternate between feeling like I'm ancient, as I've surrounded by young people where I hang out online, and being the baby of the group as a lot of my friends are in their 40s and 50s.

I'm REALLY excited for Moffat's tenure. I just watched "Press Gang" (yes, I am 15 years behind the rest of the universe), and I thought "Jekyll" was BRILLIANT. I think RTD did some amazing things and was exactly what the Beeb needed, to revive the series, but I am really looking forward to the new team in 2010. And selfishly hoping we'll get more Rob Shearman NuWho eps, as "Dalek" is one of my all-time faves.

I admit, tho, I didn't warm to Torchwood until series 2, because the writing was so uneven in series one. "Sarah Jane Adventures" is my fave spin-off by far. Just excellent writing, and it's fantastic to see a mature woman still looking gorgeous and kicking ass.
Last edited by Tara on Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 189

English Al
Fan

Post by English Al »

Poor TJ, he isn't getting a look in. Actually he'd make a good American Doctor Who.

Sylvester McCoy was the Doctor I grew up with and his stories were brilliant compared to most of the Tom Baker ones. Davison is also a favourite of mine. I love the fact he came back for the Children in Need special so he could get his own Top Trumps card. Not sure if that happened but he is getting his own Action Figure along with some more of the classic Doctors and enemies.

Steve Moffat will do a great job. His episodes of the new series have been the best, and RTD knows it! Press Gang was fantastic and I regularly watch the DVD's over and over again.
Born in 82 and 3rd child soon to arrive? Good grief man, I wasn't even married when I was your age!!
I was married in 2003 (5 years on August 2nd!!). Lilli was born August 11th 2005, James October 22nd (my mum's birthday) 2006 and the newbie is due July 4th (it will be very independent). AND THAT'S IT! NO MORE :lol:
word count: 192

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

I love PRIMEVAL! I love Douglas Henshall (cute accent!)! I love the stories and I love the special effects in there! They are filming now series 3 in which they want to explain, why Claudia has disappeared and now Jenny is there. I love the Cutter-Claudia/Jenny relationship. Cutters wife is a bit annoying but, well, they need an opponent. And the Connor-Abby relationship is really cute, too.

Today is the big game! Hope the German team wins!!! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Simone
word count: 85

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

So close! So sad! :cry: Spain was the better team today. So sorry for the German team! Can't watch it anymore! :cry: I guess I'll go to bed, now! :(

Simone
word count: 30

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Yes, I'm really sorry, Simone, but the Germans were not playing their best. I have had a lot of pleasure watching Germany on previous occasions, but in this tournament I found them a little lacking. I was fairly neutral, but I know the men in my family were supporting Spain, for varying reasons ranging from my husband's inevitable firm support for the underdog to my son's support for Liverpool FC (they have a Spanish manager and goalscorer Fernando Torres is one of their players!). Never mind. Better luck next time. Germany has won this so often in the past that maybe it can afford to be generous this once...
word count: 112

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Yeah, your right, Steph! It was really not very good what they showed, yesterday. The game against Portugal was really good. And against Poland, too! Against Turkey they were very lucky. So now we are the 2nd winner! It´s very good, too! :)
Poor Ballack! First he lost with Chelsea and now with the German team!

Simone
word count: 57