Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by TJ4ever »

Thanks to everybody for the kind words! It really helped! It also helps talking about it with other people. For me it´s hard to talk about it with my mom or my cousin because I think it makes them even sadder. Of course it is not my intention to make you all sad! Sorry!

Well, everything is so sad at the moment. We all met yesterday. It was supposed to be a happy Easter gathering. My uncle should have been there, too. Instead my parents and my cousin had to talk about the funeral, etc.! But it helped to be together. It´s hard to loose someone who was there for you your whole life!

Sherry, I am also sorry to hear that about Verna!

Well, enough now!

I have to go to work again tomorrow! Maybe it´s good (did I just said that???) because I get some distraction!

Thanks again!

Guess I will be back here on sunday!

Simone
Last edited by TJ4ever on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 162

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sherry, forgot to ask! How is the job-hunt going? Any new tests or job interviews? Did you hear from the company where you did the test?

Simone
word count: 28
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

late_heart
Fan

Post by late_heart »

Hey Sherry,

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about Verna's passing, but I am glad that you had her and that your warm memories will comfort you.

Secondly, I'm sorry that there are times when parental insensitivity knows no bounds. Hutchie tends to be the leader of the pack in that regard...but I keep her under control by threatening to keep her ashes in a Folger's can because using a Chock Full O'Nuts would be entirely too close to reality.

xoxo
~~annie
word count: 87
...he remains Hodgins of the unstoppable libido, with the constantly coiling Kundalini, the freaky twist of mystic master meets geekzilla. He’s still a poet, a shaman of the weird, and he’s in there, somewhere...

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

LOL! :D
sorry I didn't intend to be insensitive..but boy do I recognise that picture..
word count: 16
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

To change the subject - hope you don't mind - I promised to give you an account of my week in France. This is what I have put together. Some, though not all, of it will be a report for the school magazine. Hope I can make you feel as if you were there too!

So there I was. Shivering, hot and insomniac on my coach seat; coughing incessantly, thistle-throated, eyes leaking and raw-scraped nose streaming, and moreover irritated by a football DVD poking at my vision out of the darkness. Mutinous as well as glutinous, one might say. Why do I do it?

I do it for the companionship and laughter of understanding colleagues as we sink into our fat, squeaky, faux-leather armchairs at the close of day over a glass of wine or a hot coffee, and the citron-sorbet refreshment of a chilly Normandy dawn over the dewy château grounds. For Mont St Michel and its Diagon Alleys, rising regally from a marsh populated by 'pre-salted' sheep (the marshes where they roam are so salty, on the sea's edge, that it flavours their meat), and the necklace of bobbing boats on the twinkling blue waters of St Malo. For the endless invention of fancy-dress creators and the gifted performers at the end-of-week show. And most of all, I do it for the thirty year 7s who all find something new either in the food, culture, language and activities or in themselves. This is education in the raw – leading others to discovery.

The trip retains the popular format of previous years: a diet of visits to the local market and hypermarket, Mont St Michel, St Malo, the animal sanctuary and the chocolaterie is seasoned with afternoon activities (fencing, archery, wall climbing, aeroball, zip wire and initiative exercises) and topped with the evening lashings of treasure hunt, blind date, French quiz, fancy dress competition, talent show and discos. It sounds impossibly hectic, but I’m probably understating it. It didn’t daunt our boys, though – they were some of the most enthusiastic participants this trip has had. They were well-behaved and interesting to talk to (mostly possessing a huge armoury of fascinating random facts, which is why I find 11-year-olds so intriguing), kept their bus and dorms tidy, threw themselves into all activities with abandon, displayed a healthy curiosity and considerable knowledge about France and spoke some excellent French. Sadly, the same could not be said of Rachael and Alex, our guides for the week. As a rule, the ‘animateurs’, while not always expert, speak reasonable French and are entirely committed to entertaining the visitors. On this occasion the accents were embarrassing, particularly Rachael’s, sweet and helpful though she was, and Alex was a thorn in our flesh at times, seemingly more given to self-promotion than to developing a genuinely sympathetic relationship with the students. Luckily this did not hinder my overall enjoyment or the kids', but one of my colleagues really did find him intolerably rude.

I have to confess to being primarily an onlooker this year. Previously I have been involved with the fencing and archery, and have always taken part in the fancy dress; but this year, recalling that last time a) no-one recognised me as Joan of Arc and b) I injured my knee quite badly while fencing - I may have mentioned this to those of you with whom I was friendly by this time last year - I decided to take a break and concentrate on my photography! However, having been a fencer in adolescence, I still cast a critical eye on the participants, and was very impressed with the boys. The elegance of the born dueller is evident in some of them. Not to mention the aggression!

This trip was remarkably problem-free. Hardly any possessions were abandoned on the coach (admittedly, someone inadvertently brought a dormitory key back in his pocket <<mournful shake of head>>), there were no passport issues and no-one was ill, save for some passing sickness on a slightly choppy ferry and a few back pains, unsurprising on such a long coach journey.

As I write, the dorm key and the hacking cough have yet to be, respectively, packed and sent and sent packing, but after more or less two days’ sleep, I am past the ‘never again!’ phase and once more feeling that the experience is completely worth the hassle. It's a bit like having a baby - you forget about the painful bits and remember the enjoyable ones. But being back is great as well. A chance to revel in the presence of son no.1, who's already been home for a week and has helped tidy up the whole house as a surprise for me, and to catch up here with you people, my friends. Don't really want to go back to work.....
word count: 823

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

First off... Steph, what a lovely passage. It sounds like so much fun! (Despite the fact that you were ill -- I'm so sorry to hear that. I imagine it was not an easy trip to make when feeling 'under the weather.') Still, your vivid descriptions made me wish I'd been there. So much going on! So many marvelous things to do and see. From the boats and the water and the chocolate and the fencing and archery and dresses and treasure hunts and beautiful French language, I yearned to dive into that picture you painted so brightly for us. Thank you for sharing it.

And thank you all for your words of comfort. It looks so funny to see you all call her Verna -- I admit it's what I called her when I wrote my post, just because I was quoting my mother, but to me, she was like an extra grandparent so she was always 'Grandma.' I haven't written anything for her yet... I feel like I'm still collecting my thoughts. Though I did spend the better part of that first evening digging through my old journals, trying feverishly to find that entry I knew I'd written about the last time I saw her. I finally found it.

late_heart wrote: Secondly, I'm sorry that there are times when parental insensitivity knows no bounds. Hutchie tends to be the leader of the pack in that regard...but I keep her under control by threatening to keep her ashes in a Folger's can because using a Chock Full O'Nuts would be entirely too close to reality.
*snicker*

Okay, that was funny. :D

I try very hard not to discuss my family online (especially if I'm in a dangerously ranting/bitchy mood and simply want to get a frustration off my chest), but... that was funny. And not entirely wrong when it comes to my relationship with my mom. Sometimes. (You know I love you, Mom. Kisses!) ;)

*exasperated sigh* Sometimes I just feel like I'm this black-sheep-of-the-family huge disappointment. Not always, but sometimes. Especially lately, with the way things are going currently in my life. Then again, that's a cruel, unnecessary pressure I usually put on myself.

Speaking of that, thanks for asking, Simone. Unfortunately, the job searching has SUCKED lately. If you'll pardon the expression. :roll: No responses. I don't know, maybe they think I'm overqualified in some of the jobs I've applied for, perhaps thinking I won't stay long, so they aren't even bothering to give me a callback. Even the recruiter, who told me she'd keep me in mind for certain jobs, hasn't called. Nor has she replied to my follow-up inquiries (I only sent two emails -- I'm not trying to be a pest; I simply asked if they have many jobs in the queue right now and what the likelihood is of me finding a job within the parameters we discussed). I'm starting to think they're not very organized over there. Or maybe my path is meant to come from a different place.

And I now have less than one week before I have to let my apartment management office know what I'll be doing (stay or leave), so as you can imagine, I've been a bit stressed. Not sleeping well at all.

Case in point, today I found this one job posting that sounded so wonderfully non-corporate and positive and energetic ... *shakes head* ... a friend of mine had to point out that it's probably 'a lot less than what you're capable of' and would most likely be unfulfilling in the long run. She's right. But I think I'm just so afraid to end up with another draining, stressful office job like the one I just had, that I'm starting to look at almost anything. I'm so tired, I'm not thinking straight anymore.
word count: 672

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Oh poor Sherry, you do sound terribly down. I wish there was a way to help you practically, it seems very empty just to sit here offering cybercomfort. We all do think of you and are crossing our fingers for you. I have no ideas as to what you should do. On the one hand the stress may be off if you accept something for which you are over-qualified; on the other, even if only (presumably) short term, it could be hugely frustrating. So I hope you can make the right decision for you at this moment. Keep on keeping on, as a dear friend of mine used to say.

Thanks for your kind words about my summary of the trip abroad - honestly, the illness only affected me to any extent on that awful, stuffy coach journey home. At present I am still suffering quite badly from the cough, which I know from experience will persist for at least another couple of weeks. This is partly why I have not been posting much. The other reason is that the operating system of the other little board on which I moderate has been upgraded and we are trying to sort out all kinds of bugs and annoyances on it. I'm missing you all :cry: and looking forward to when I - and everyone else - will be able to visit on a less erratic basis. Take care.
word count: 235

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

I am glad this week is over. Funeral was Friday. Very sad! Really glad that the day is over! But I don´t want to bring up this sad subject, again. Let´s just finally say that my family and I can all try to move on now - the best we can. Even if it´s hard. Thank you all, again! Really helped talking with you about it!

Sherry, I am so sorry that the test and interview you did was no success and that you didn´t get any other responses! I am still keeping my fingers crossed that you will get a job again, soon! (It´s a bit difficult to type that way! :wink: )

Steph, thanks for the report! Sounds like a very interesting trip! Sorry to hear that you are sick. Get well, soon!

Simone
word count: 138

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

TJ4ever wrote:still keeping my fingers crossed (It´s a bit difficult to type that way! :wink: )
lol! :lol:
Simone, I am glad that the funeral is done with. Until that is over it is always difficult to have closure and move on with your life. I'm happy that we have helped you a little, rest assured that you and your family remain in our thoughts.
word count: 65

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

Hi everybody.

It's been a while since i've been around here. it's been a weird week for me. Reading the new posts really cheered me up though! :)

Steph, glad to hear about your trip. It sounds like fun, except for the fact that you were sick. Hope you feel better.

Sherry, sorry to hear that your week hasnt been so great. But don't worry, i'll be praying for you to get a good job! :D

word count: 79

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Sorry to hear about everybody's sad events and bad health. Take heart--spring is here!

Must apologize for my own absence from these boards. I just got my reading glasses replaced after waiting two weeks. Without my prescription, reading with over-the-counter reading glasses was tiring and difficult. But I have them now, and I'm back!
word count: 59
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Welcome back Rebecca! Missed you! :D
word count: 5

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, Dohee! Thanks for the positive thoughts. I send them right back to you, in case you still need some cheer. And how about a funny face, to go along with it? :mrgreen:

So glad to 'read' you, Rebecca! Hope you like your new glasses. What do they look like? Come see us again sometime very soon. I miss you! xo
word count: 60

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:And how about a funny face, to go along with it? :mrgreen:
Hehe. I like funny faces. :P

Rebecca!!!! A biggg hello to you!! :D

Ooo. Glasses. :shock: Sounds like fun...not really =)

I have glasses, but i never wear them :mrgreen:
word count: 39

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

In my case, the need for reading glasses has come with age, but I have a special problem with one of my eyes requiring that I have a prism in that lens--that's why I couldn't tolerate the generic reading glasses for any length of time. My new glasses are pretty--they are brown metal wire rims, with plastic arms that feature a brown flower design. Quite stylish!
When I was younger, I wore glasses for distance vision, but had RK (pre-lasik procedure) done in my late twenties and then had perfect eyesight until a few years ago when it became necessary to use reading glasses.
word count: 109
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

Yea i wear contacts for distance vision. I'm practically blind without them. I'm going to get that lasik surgery thing when i get older. I wonder if its painful. :shock:

But I'm afraid that if i don't get my eyes permanently fixed, and ever get stranded on an island or something, i will eventually lose my contacts and i wont be able to see. or if i lose them in a soccer game. well you get my point :wink:
word count: 81

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

oh and btw, i've always wondered, what or who is Google Bot, or Yahoo Bot? They arent actual users are they?

:?:
word count: 22

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

bonesaddict11 wrote:oh and btw, i've always wondered, what or who is Google Bot, or Yahoo Bot? They arent actual users are they?

:?:
Nope not users, they are bots that collect information about websites to be used when searches are done on yahoo or google, just a way for them to help index things on the web. :)

Sharon
word count: 59
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

bonesaddict11 wrote:Yea i wear contacts for distance vision. I'm practically blind without them. I'm going to get that lasik surgery thing when i get older. I wonder if its painful. :shock:
Not according to a friend of mine who had the op and was as right as rain (what the heck does that mean??) within a week or so. She said it made an enormous difference. But I think it's important when you have it done. Your eyes do change as you get older, so if you embark on it tooo early, there will be repeats on the horizon I think.

Btw, Dohee, talking soccer, son no.2 has just had a 3rd recurrence of his knee injury! Again, it's not serious, not ligaments or anything, in fact he has been able to get around properly this time within a couple of days; the weakening is apparently a combination of his incredible growth spurt over the last month or two and the fact that he has been playing so well and has been so fit that he's neglected his physio strengthening exercises. Well, he's learned his lesson; never again!
word count: 195

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

ThyneAlone wrote:Btw, Dohee, talking soccer, son no.2 has just had a 3rd recurrence of his knee injury! Again, it's not serious, not ligaments or anything, in fact he has been able to get around properly this time within a couple of days; the weakening is apparently a combination of his incredible growth spurt over the last month or two and the fact that he has been playing so well and has been so fit that he's neglected his physio strengthening exercises. Well, he's learned his lesson; never again!
Oo. Another injury? I'm glad that it's not serious. I hate how injuries like these just keep coming back. A week ago, I forgot to wear my ankle brace during a game and sprained my ankle again. It wasnt as bad as the other time, so it's pretty much ok now.
So is your son doing ok now? I'm sure he's being the awesome goalie that he is. :)
word count: 166