Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by ThyneAlone »

I'm starting this because it seems to me people here want to know a bit about each other outside the admittedly considerable TJ impact on our lives! I've called it sofa time, as I imagine it to be a sit down for coffee and a chance to chat about ourselves and anything good or bad in our lives at the moment.

I'm Stephanie, late forties, deputy head of modern languages and one of the pastoral heads of year in an independent secondary (11-18 years) school for boys not far outside Liverpool in the UK. My husband's a drama teacher in another school and I have 2 sons aged 18 and 14. I'm not from this area, I'm an Essex girl, but moved here when I started teaching in 1981. My profile pretty much covers my main interests: I like any kind of fantasy or sci-fi film, TV and writing, am heavily into choral singing and drama, write poetry, do calligraphy and homemade greeting cards. And I design and make handcrafted teddy bears, which is an expensive hobby but so satisfying.
Things I hate with a passion: bigots, abuse of language (be it grammar, spelling, mispronunciation, wrong words, inappropriate vocabulary or just general ignorance) and cellophane. More will occur, but I'll leave it there for the moment. Anyone who just wants to talk about themselves a bit (no pressure, obviously!), please use this thread, then if TJ comes in he can get to know us!!
word count: 253

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Scoot on over, Steph, and I'll join you!

I'm Rebecca, also falling somewhere in the late 40s age bracket, but thanks to genetics I can usually blend in pretty well with the 30-something crowd... Single, no kids, but I come from a large family so I never feel isolated or lonely. I am the favorite Auntie of my siblings' children, as well as my friends' children. I Have many friends, most of whom I have known since childhood or high school. Now, I also have friends due to this fandom, so thank you for that, TJ! I am a public school teacher and am currently teaching fourth grade. When I'm not at school, I'm at home in my apartment in Ocean Beach, which is a wonderful if not funky beach community in San Diego, California (I'm an O.B. native!). I have a slight obsession with natural health, and enjoy exercise by walking, hiking, or doing pilates (which I swear by). Another way I get outdoors is by geocaching, which I won't explain here, but you can check it out on http://www.geocaching.com. I have an affinity for animals, especially dogs, birds, and horses. I don't have any pets at this time, but you can visit my Yapka at http://www.rainbowsbridge.com under "Residents." I love getting together with friends for good food and dark beer, movies, or just watching our favorite TV shows. Although "Bones" is my current favorite, I worship at the shrine of "The X-Files," and look forward (fingers crossed) to movie number 2. I listen to alternative rock. I also scrapbook whenever I've been on a trip, and am currently working on both my last summer's trip to Ireland with my sister and my last two visits to Vancouver, Canada. I write naughty fanfiction, but apparently I'm well-received by this crowd! My dislikes? Rude drivers, right wing conservatives, noisy neighbors, and the suburban lifestyle. Oh, and I tend to blather on endlessly on forums, although generally not in person... :D
word count: 349
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Hi ladies! Mind if I join you two on the sofa?

I'm Kimber, turning 27 this weekend (yeah me!). I'm a rather boring type of person, who is generally antisocial. Actually, I consider myself a bit "socially retarded", like Brennan. I'm a huge fan of animals and animal rights, and I share my apartment with two lovely rescue cats, two rescue rabbits (that sounds like a cartoon show for kids!), and some fish. I'd much rather spend an evening at home, with my cats and my television/books than go out and be social.

I'm a vegan, so I guess you could say I eat "healthy". I am a huge fan of sugar, though, which is entirely not healthy. But it's my one weakness, and I detest chocolate, so I gather the sugar is alright. I'm involved in animal rights activism, and I'll debate the pros of being vegan/veg, and the gory details of the lives of farm animals ANY day, and with anyone. I tend to be a bit confrontational, and have the stubbornness of my father. I also love to read, and have always got a book or two on the go. I write fanfic, and have since my late teenage years. I also write poetry, play the guitar, and love to garden. TV can control my life, and aside from Bones, I am a fan of House, Scrubs, The L Word, and Criminal Minds.

I'm a trained preschool teacher, but I left the field two years ago on a "break", and am now loving my second career as a medical admin assistant. It is my dream to someday own a vegan bakery and a rabbit rescue organization (not in the same building, of course!), as well as own a home, and have some kids. I have an active LiveJournal site, where I basically rant about every and anything on my mind.
word count: 324

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Oh fantastic, this is just what I wanted, thanks girls, anyone care to join us? Kimber, you are not antisocial. You are interesting (and btw, speaking of animals, have you been following the appalling foot and mouth scare over here in the UK, first signs in 7 years and ironically suspected of originating in the very plant where the vaccine is manufactured?). Looks like we could watch telly together no problems. I have been meaning to look in on 'House', as everyone recommends it to me, but haven't got round to it yet. Of 'Scrubs' I am something of a fanatic because it meshes perfectly with my sense of humour, and I have duly converted every member of my household.

Rebecca, I used to be an avid Xphile, but lost interest in the convoluted conspiracy stuff as the seasons progressed. The first film was good though.I notice you mentioned music too. Music is not a big part of my life. This is because my beloved Other provides most of the musical backdrop in my house. He is into (very) early jazz, opera, brass and military bands, classical and collects very early recordings of practically anything. Son no1 likes soul and Motown and is not too keen on recent recordings! Son no2 will listen to practically anything. My musical tastes tend to revolve round memories of important times of my life. I therefore love most of the silly seventies glam and disco that was happening when I was a teenager (and the sixties musical explosions that formed a backdrop to my childhood), jazz and musicals (inherited from my parents), most choral material (having sung a lot of it), music from tv programmes I've enjoyed (significantly, Buffy), French chanson (goes with the job) and, more recently, a small amount of indie pop.

And Finally. I hope. What is it with teachers, ex or otherwise, on these forums? Hey, we could educate the whole world's young on the health benefits of watching TJ!

OK. Now you talk.
word count: 338

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

ThyneAlone wrote:Oh fantastic, this is just what I wanted, thanks girls, anyone care to join us? Kimber, you are not antisocial. You are interesting (and btw, speaking of animals, have you been following the appalling foot and mouth scare over here in the UK, first signs in 7 years and ironically suspected of originating in the very plant where the vaccine is manufactured?). Looks like we could watch telly together no problems. I have been meaning to look in on 'House', as everyone recommends it to me, but haven't got round to it yet. Of 'Scrubs' I am something of a fanatic because it meshes perfectly with my sense of humour, and I have duly converted every member of my household.

And Finally. I hope. What is it with teachers, ex or otherwise, on these forums? Hey, we could educate the whole world's young on the health benefits of watching TJ!

OK. Now you talk.
Tee hee ... okay, I'll talk! (Btw, I also love using Jack/Angela or J or A references in my daily life! Sometimes it's rare, but if I can find a way to squeeze them in, I'll do so!).

With the new timeslot/date change of Bones here in Canada/US, Bones will be airing prior to House. I was hoping it would net some new Bones viewers from the House crowd, but it may also do vise versa. I got into house by accident (I was baking, and turned on the kitchen TV just to have some noise), but I was a viewer from that day forth. It's quite an entertaining program, and very well written. Scrubs, I got into a few months ago. However, I'm lucky in the fact that our Fox channel here has been rerunning the first 5 seasons Tues - Sat at 1 am. So I've almost seen the entire first 5 seasons. The humour ... oh my goodness. I have been known to choke, whilst laughing at something neurotic JD or Elliot have done. Also, Dr. Cox's rants get me every time. And the Janitor ... oh, there is so much goodness in that program!

I have heard about the startling cases of foot and mouth disease! Sounds like it's a very frightening thing, and almost eerie the they figure it may have originated where the vaccine begins. We have a big time virology lab here, and there was some concern about the same thing, as they do have samples of many dangerous diseases on hand as well. However, our big scare here in West Nile Disease. It's taken a life, for the first time in years, and originates from a simple mosquito bite (mosquitos, of which, we have no shortage!).

I also think it's quite humourous that a lot of us are/have been teachers. What is with teachers and a love of TJ and Bones? Hmm ... there must be something there, that I'm just not seeing!
word count: 499

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

OK, now I know for a lot of you this is not the case, but in the UK we are getting on towards midnight. So I would like to offer Kimber some birthday wishes.
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Kimber,
Happy birthday to you.
Have a great day, won't you?
I see you've already mentioned that you'll be 27, K, so I can do so without worrying. It's that kind of inbetween time when birthdays aren't quite the exciting affairs they were when you were little and yet you haven't reached those milestone ones yet! Enjoy it while you can. Mentally I still feel around 23 but various bits of me remind me of their current lack of perk from time to time!!
word count: 135

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Yes, Happy Birthday, Kimber! I hope you have a wonderful birthday and continue to enjoy your twenties! Time goes so fast as the years go by, so make the most of every moment.
word count: 33

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Aww ... :oops: ... now I feel so very, very loved and special. Thanks, girls! *HUGS* to you guys!
word count: 16

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Ok so right, a little about me...

First of all my real name is Paula although I pretty much go by willowwood or Wil everywhere online and even in real life depending on who I’m talking to lol. I'm 21 and I’ve just earned at 2.1 degree in Creative and Professional Writing combined with Film Studies at Wolverhampton University (my graduation ceremony is next month *bounces*). I currently work part time as a cleaner, but as you can probably guess following that, I’ve now finished university I’m currently looking for a full time job (although be it reluctantly lol). I have a Jack Russell named Chance (who is a girl even though people often mistake her for a boy, and a cookie to anybody who can guess where her name came from).

I first got into the online fandom with my love of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel because of which; I started writing fanfiction, have been to loads of conventions (where I’ve met lots of the Buffy and Angel cast), made numerous online friends and finally discovered Bones. Which I actually started watching by following a love of David Boreanaz, that was of course soon replaced by Mr. Thyne (and Hodgela), and which is currently running my life lol.

As far as hobbies go, I used to teach Karate so I guess that kind of runs in with the theme of the rest of you guys lol, I love writing fanfiction as you already know (and would love to write professionally someday, although I have already been published once before), I love reading (mostly crime fiction, yes Kathy Reichs is at the top of my list), and going out with my friends, as well as chatting to my online friends as much as possible.

Like Kimber I also have a LJ account where I pretty much ramble non-stop about everything and anything, even if nobody reads it lol and I also co-run an LJ community called Bugs_N_Slime which is dedicated to our favourite entomologist (and which is currently hosting a Ficathon if any of you fellow writers out there are interested).

If you’d like to know anything else about me just ask =D (also is it me or is this place being really slow today?)
word count: 389
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Everyone here is so interesting and intelligent! Graduate of Southampton Uni here, Wil. Many congrats on your excellent degree! Graduation will be fun, I remember mine with affection and pride.

Wasn't 'Chance' that film that Amber Benson was involved in? Just a wild guess (my parents, btw, used to own a lovely cross between an Alsatian sire and a Jack Russell dam - just imagine that for a minute - they had 2 litters!!). I have a BtVS pedigree too - I do love witty and referential dialogue - but, true to form (I go for the sidekicks), I wasn't into DB. Seth Green was my meat and drink on that show. Strangely, my better half, who is now into Michaela big time, was also very keen on Alyson Hannigan. We work well together!
Feel free also to ask anything you like about me and welcome to the sofa, it's great to know you better.

Steph x
word count: 156

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

ThyneAlone wrote:Many congrats on your excellent degree! Graduation will be fun, I remember mine with affection and pride.
Thanks, I can't wait although being cast out in the real world kinda makes me wanna curl up and hide in a box somewhere lmao.
Wasn't 'Chance' that film that Amber Benson was involved in? Just a wild guess (my parents, btw, used to own a lovely cross between an Alsatian sire and a Jack Russell dam - just imagine that for a minute - they had 2 litters!!). I have a BtVS pedigree too - I do love witty and referential dialogue - but, true to form (I go for the sidekicks), I wasn't into DB. Seth Green was my meat and drink on that show. Strangely, my better half, who is now into Michaela big time, was also very keen on Alyson Hannigan. We work well together!
*Passes you a cookie* Yep, and I strangely love the fact that you know that lol. Honestly, I have to hold my hands up and say that up until a couple of years ago I was a huge DB groupie (which is kinda ironic considering all the conventions i've been to are James Marsters related), which I guess is fortunate considering that was the only reason I heard about and started reading the Kathy Reichs books (which I fell in love with) and naturally went onto watching Bones all the way from episode 1, and well as they say the rest is history and now i'm posting on this forum and not some DB one for which I have to say I am very thankful (Not intending to offend any DB fans that may be on here of course). Oh I did love Oz and Willow, hell I loved all the Buffy cast lol *sob*, and hey with your better half if you can have the guy then it's all the better that he has the girl...stops the arguements ;) ;) ;) lol.

Also o_0 at the Jack Russell/Alsatian combo lol, I bet that was erm......interesting lol....although I hope it was a longer legged Jack Russell.
word count: 358
Wil xxx

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Excellent! I won a cookie! And a nice big one with chocolate chips too. *runs proudly around showing it off*. Oh yes Wil, you will find I tend to know fairly obscure things, we can share them, hey!

What do you want to do with your degree, have you any ideas yet? Should open some doors to the creative world on which you have already been knocking for a while by the sound of it. The very best of luck.

James Marsters, hey? Not my type, but I do think he's very talented. You must have been to some good conventions. It's fabulous to meet up with lots of like-minded people from time to time and release the inner geek.

The Alsatian was huge. And Sally, the JR, was tiny. But you know what tenacious little things they are. The offspring were really cute. Had sort of small black Labrador type bodies and black Jack Russell heads. We had ours for many years.
word count: 166

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Lol I am a fountain of useless knowledge lol, especially where Buffy, Angel, Bones, and Hodgela are concerned and can pretty much spill off random facts and quoations without much effort. It's nice to have people who actually understand what the hell you're talking about and not just look at you as though they're preparing to send the men in the white coats out to get ya lmao.

Hmmm, with my degree as I've said i'd really love to write proffessionally, for my final project I had to write a 10,000 word creative piece for which I wrote the first 3 chapters of a crime novel and I would love to get it finished and possibly published one day, but I'm not a fool and know that's easier said than done lol. On a more day to day basis I think i'd love to work for a magazine, be a TV critic or something similar. I've always really been into TV shows so working for magazines such as SFX or Starburst would be like a dream come true, especially as I've been reading them since I was something like 15 lol.

To be honest the whole JM thing is my Mom's fault, she absolutely adores the guy and well wherever she goes I pretty much follow, but then she does the same for me which is cool cause then neither of us are never on our own. Although saying that out of all the people in the Buffy/Angel cast that i've met (just a few of which include DB, Emma Caulfield, Juliet Landau, Amber Benson, Alexis Denisof, Nicholas Brendon, and Anthony Stewart Head etc, etc, etc) he has got to be one of nicest of them all. I think i've met him almost 9 times and well it just gets better and better each year, and as you said I've met a whole bunch of others fans too and we even have a whole group of us who stop in the same hotels and travel around together. Conventions are some of the best weeks of my year, and I wouldn't miss them for the world. One day I'd really love to travel to America for one, and think I would probably die if I ever got the chance to meet any of the Bones cast lol, especially TJ or Michaela.

Have you ever been to any Cons??

Awww, those pups sound so cute. I remember when Chance was a pup, she was so tiny.
word count: 432
Wil xxx

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

willowwood wrote: the people in the Buffy/Angel cast that i've met (just a few of which include DB, Emma Caulfield, Juliet Landau, Amber Benson, Alexis Denisof, Nicholas Brendon, and Anthony Stewart Head etc, etc, etc) he has got to be one of nicest of them all.
Um. Why is it that suddenly I'm hating you!!
willowwood wrote:I think i've met him almost 9 times
lol how do you meet someone almost nine times?! But wow, you must get around some. My mum has just hit 73 but was spectacularly supportive of my sister and me in our various interests or should I say obsessions. I recall her once coming to an Osmonds concert - we were in the 3rd row! - with me when I was 13 and she was sanguine about all the front row seats getting ripped up in front of us. Those were the days.
willowwood wrote:Have you ever been to any Cons??
Not to speak of. Shamefully, I was always a bit concerned that I would be the oldest one there, which I wouldn't have, of course. And I was all involved with my little sons and not wanting to go away for weekends at a time, blah, blah. There was just once a Red Dwarf one fetched up on my doorstep in Liverpool (I was always a great RD fan) and I went to that one. It was amazing and earned me major pupil street cred.. I'd spent ages crafting a big teddy bear dressed like one of the cast and it was auctioned off there for Amnesty International at £120! I couldn't believe it! I mean, of course, there were people there willing to pay £100 a drop for the producer's saliva, but it was a great thrill nevertheless!
willowwood wrote:Awww, those pups sound so cute. I remember when Chance was a pup, she was so tiny.
They were gorgeous. We don't have dogs at home, it wouldn't be fair as we are home at all sorts of odd times and wouldn't like the idea of kennels while we were on holiday abroad. But I do recall the next generation arriving at my parents' house - the JR cross mated with a bitch we acquired before we had the chance to have her spayed. She lay down on the sofa while we were having our Christmas dinner and quietly produced 3 pups. One of our guests had to leave the room!
word count: 418

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Wow! It sounds like the Buffy/Angel fandom offered plenty of opportunities for fans to meet the cast! I remember those days with "Star Trek: TNG." I went to a lot of cons back then, and met a lot of the cast. Juliet Landau? Cool! I was a huge "Space: 1999" fan back in the 70's when I was in high school (starring, of course, Martin Landau and Barbara Bain--Juliet's folks!). I was so bummed when they split. So much for solid Hollywood couples--if there is such a thing...
word count: 93

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

ThyneAlone wrote:Um. Why is it that suddenly I'm hating you!!
Lol
ThyneAlone wrote:lol how do you meet someone almost nine times?! But wow, you must get around some.
Lmao, I'm quirky you'll get used to it....I hope. Although there was one convention I went to and didn't actually manage to get an autograph from him because the queues were too long, so we didn't bother. I can't even remember how many conventions I've actually been to lol, but I went to my first one when I was 16 (where I met James Marsters and Emma Caulfield) and have been going to at least 1 a year ever since. Not to mention collectors fairs (forgot to mention that I also collect Buffy/Angel memorabilia) and gigs. My last one was in May where my Mom actually won dinner with Mr Masters.
ThyneAlone wrote:(I was always a great RD fan)
I think that was the first ever show I was really into, and watched religiously lol
begolden wrote:Juliet Landau? Cool! I was a huge "Space: 1999" fan back in the 70's when I was in high school (starring, of course, Martin Landau and Barbara Bain--Juliet's folks!).
Juliet Landau is really amazing so nice and one of the most gracious women i've ever met, and extremely talented.
word count: 230
Wil xxx

blue_eyes
Fan

Post by blue_eyes »

Hi guys
My names maeve . i'm 25 and i'm from ireland (mitchelstown to be exact but i live in cork city) i work in insurance and must i only really became a fan of bones when season 2 started although i'd seen a few eppy of season one. my sister and my mother got me into the show. i am also i big csi las vegas and miami fan (i even have david caruso autograph). i also am addicted to shoes and handbags. i'm a qualified veterinary nurse as well. i have six sisters (no brothers) and two nephews i totally adore. :D :D :D i'm also a twin
word count: 111
"COCENTRATE ON WHAT CANNOT LIE. THE EVIDENCE" GIL GRISSOM

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

blue_eyes wrote:Hi guys
My names maeve . i'm 25 and i'm from ireland (mitchelstown to be exact but i live in cork city) i work in insurance and must i only really became a fan of bones when season 2 started although i'd seen a few eppy of season one. my sister and my mother got me into the show. i am also i big csi las vegas and miami fan (i even have david caruso autograph). i also am addicted to shoes and handbags. i'm a qualified veterinary nurse as well. i have six sisters (no brothers) and two nephews i totally adore. :D :D :D i'm also a twin
Hi Maeve,
so glad to know you better. You are clearly a woman of many talents! Do you get on well with all your sisters (twins are supposed to have a special bond, aren't they?)? I ask because my family was always, and to some extent is even now, a perpetual boxing arena - and all I have is a sister and 2 brothers, admittedly frighteningly close in age; we were all produced in under 4 years, which isn't recommended as a cure for stress.
I have to tell you I'm not too bothered about my shoes, but put me near a handbag and you'll be hard pressed to haul me away until I've bought it and consigned it to its ritual area under the bed.
word count: 244

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

ThyneAlone wrote:Wasn't 'Chance' that film that Amber Benson was involved in? Just a wild guess (my parents, btw, used to own a lovely cross between an Alsatian sire and a Jack Russell dam - just imagine that for a minute - they had 2 litters!!). I have a BtVS pedigree too - I do love witty and referential dialogue - but, true to form (I go for the sidekicks), I wasn't into DB. Seth Green was my meat and drink on that show. Strangely, my better half, who is now into Michaela big time, was also very keen on Alyson Hannigan. We work well together!
Feel free also to ask anything you like about me and welcome to the sofa, it's great to know you better.

Steph x
Aww, Steph! You beat me to it. I knew that answer too! I actually never got around to seeing Chance, but did see previews and clips. And Amber Benson was one of my faves on BtVS (I'm a BtVS fan too!). Although, I have to side with Steph here, Seth Green was always my main interest. I fell for him when I was just a wee child, when he was in this little-known show called Byrds of Paradise (with JLove). My friend used to bug me and say that Seth looked like a Troll (he had really fluffy longish orangey-red hair at the time).

DB I was never really into. Sure, I shipped Buffy/Angel, but it was all about Willow/Oz for me, and then Willow/Tara. And of course, when Anya came into the picture - I fell head over heels for her! Oh, Anya. I still have some audio quotes of her on my comp, and I giggle non-stop when I hear them. So naive about being human, our little Anya Christina Emmanuella Jenkins was. :)
blue_eyes wrote:Hi guys
Hi'ya Maeve! I love your name ... I've always been a fan of Irish names, and Maeve has always appealed to me! (I actually just printed of a few pages of Irish names last week - I love how they sound so majestic and beautiful!). That's cool that you are a veterinary nurse ... do you assist the vets in surgery? We have what's called "veterinary technicians" or "veterinary assistants" here - is that similar to what you do? I grew up wanting to be a vet, but then my family's dog died, and my grandmother bluntly told me that "if you want to be a vet, you'll have to see animals die every day". I knew from tha day forth it would never happen!!
word count: 550

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Oh, Wil, forgot to mention that that's totally awesome that you've met (and almost met!) people so many times! Did your mom go on that dinner with James Marsters? Wow. Dish!!
ThyneAlone wrote:
willowwood wrote: the people in the Buffy/Angel cast that i've met (just a few of which include DB, Emma Caulfield, Juliet Landau, Amber Benson, Alexis Denisof, Nicholas Brendon, and Anthony Stewart Head etc, etc, etc) he has got to be one of nicest of them all.
Um. Why is it that suddenly I'm hating you!!
Yes, Wil! As much as I could never, ever hate you - I am very jealous!! We don't have many/any conventions here, but when I was 18, I went to a La Femme Nikita convention, and met some of the cast. Not the "big names", but the smaller cast members, which are usually the ones I love the best!
word count: 153