Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by skftex »

Oh Simone, what do you want to know about the wedding? My brother got married. I was a bridesmaid. Everything went well. We had the rehearsal on Friday night, then the dinner. Then the wedding was on Saturday, and later that night the reception. It was nice. My feet hurt when I got home, but I just don't handle wearing heels very well, my feet hate them. My sister who lives in Mississippi was here from Thursday night until Monday morning, LOVED spending time with her, I miss her so much. I hadn't seen her since the summer of '06 so was great to have that time to spend with her. My other brother was there as well with his wife, and my nephew, and their grandchild (the son of my sister in law's child so not really related to me), he was cute. I've only seen that nephew a few times, but he is a nice kid (he's 15 but that is a kid to me!). He looked really good in the tux! He said he liked it because it made him look professional. :P

Basically it was a good weekend. I didn't think it would be but everything turned out fine. Then on Monday my brother and his wife came over for dinner so it was a really busy weekend. I still haven't caught up with my reading because I wasn't able to do much this past weekend.

Saturday morning before the wedding my sister and I went over to the west side of town. Our city is divided by a mountain so we live on one side and the west side is on the other. On our way back we got stuck behind a boat going over the mountain. It was funny to us because there isn't a lot of water around here (basically its desert) and there was this HUGE yacht going over the mountain...on a flatbed truck of course, not on its own! LOL We took pictures of it, it was such an unusual a sight for us.

Well thats about it. Not sure what else you wanted to know. :)

Sharon
word count: 365
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Thanks, Sharon! Sounds like you had some very nice days with your family. Well, I didn't want to know anything in particular, just as you mentioned it I got curious. :)

I'm just back from an evening with my sister. We watched 'AUSTRALIA'. Hugh Jackman was great! Can't wait to watch the 'OSCARS'. He is the host! :D :dance: So, OSCAR Night on Feb. 22th! I've already ask my boss if I can have a free day on Feb. 23th, because I always watch it live. It starts around 2am here in Germany and ends at about 5am (not sure.) Looking forward to that every year! :happy-jumpyellow:

OK, it's past midnight - AGAIN! :wink: Go to bed, now!

Good night!

Simone.
word count: 120
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Where is everybody? No exciting stories to tell? :)

Sherry, have you watched Blackpool, yet?

Anyone else watching OSCAR-Night?

Good night!
Simone.
word count: 22

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

TJ4ever wrote:Where is everybody? No exciting stories to tell? :)

Sherry, have you watched Blackpool, yet?

Anyone else watching OSCAR-Night?
Hi, Simone! :D

I'm afraid I don't have very many exciting stories to tell right now. I'm still on the hunt for a new job. Have applied to many, but have not gotten any responses back, to my huge anxiety. It's been a while since anyone's called to set up an interview. That's been stressful.

Other than that... I've been trying to step outside my box and get back to activities that make me feel good. 1] I've been working out on a daily basis, which gives me energy (actually, I had been getting daily exercise before this, but now I've been pushing myself more, which is good and necessary). And 2] I've been inspired to write again, which is the best thing that's happened in a while. Just some little things for now, but it's definitely a start. As I was telling Late_heart the other day, I never remember how much I love writing until I'm actually doing it. Then I wish I could do it all the time, because it makes me incredibly happy.

No, I have not watched Blackpool yet! I really need to! *sheepish grin* Instead, I have been mainlining episodes of NCIS and How I Met Your Mother, neither of which I used to watch but have for some reason become addicted to lately. But Blackpool is definitely in the queue. ;)

Oscar Night. Well, I'll probably tune in, especially because I don't think I've ever missed watching it. However, I've already missed the Golden Globes and the SAG awards, and I haven't actually had opportunity to see many of the contenders this year -- it's not as fun to root for people and films if you haven't seen them, in my opinion. Still, I'd love to see Kate Winslet finally win for something; she's consistently terrific. And I'm curious to see if Heath Ledger will win posthumously for Best Supporting Actor. He was certainly the best thing about the latest Batman film (though Gary Oldman always makes me happy). Will you be watching?

It's currently 4:35 pm here, but I imagine it's quite late where you are! Sweet dreams, Simone. :sleeping-sleeping:
word count: 401

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Hey Sherry,

Yeah, it's past midnight here in Germany and I'm about to go to bed! Just a quick reply! :)
You need to watch Blackpool! Just watched it again! So great! David looks so cute in it! He's amazing! ...OK, I stop now! :D :wink:

OSCAR-Night! Always! Love it, but have to be up all night to watch it. (It's from 2 to 5 am, I think, in Germany) So I always try to get a free day on the Monday after it. Usually it works. Last year I had to go to work after it. Wow, that was not easy. But, well, I'm a fan! :D

Sorry to hear you haven't found a new job, yet. I can imagine that this is very stressful. I went through this myself. Hope I never will again! - *knock on wood* !

Oh, I like NCIS, too! Even have a cap with the letters on it. Don't wear it very often. Got it for free somewhere, when I bought a DVD.

Bought season 4 of Doctor Who. Got it last weekend. Looking forward to watch it!
Sorry, I talk about David a lot, lately, I know!

So, now I have to go to bed! And I will! :sleeping-blue: :D

More later!

Good night!
Simone.
word count: 213

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hope everyone will excuse me for my recent inability to get on the Net! School has been mad! I apologise to all who could have expected the odd word from me. Things are easing up just slightly now but I still have a lot of admin to do. On Feb 13th we break up for a week's half term, and boy do I need it. Any Valentines wishes for TJ, over on the card calendar please!
word count: 77
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

This first bit is mostly for Steph, singing 'His armband proved he was a Red, Torres, Torres'. Here's to the Hammers doing us a major favour tomorrow.

I just though I'd say as I know there are lots of Doctor Who fans on here, I don't know if this has already been discussed but I noticed in the press that Martin Clunes was down to be the new Doctor but lost out 'cos he wanted too much money.

Finally, I'm trying to convert my friend into a Bones fan so we watched The Man in the Fallout Shelter the other night and she's not quite a convert yet but TJ definitely took her eye, there's something about him was the actual comment. Meanwhile in work the other Bones man Mr B is going down well, I got a calendar as a leaving present from my last job and according to my workmate she 'so would with February'!

Anyway enough chatter its late and time to sleep

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 179

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hello everyone!

I know this is off topic but Steph really needs your input on something so I thought I'd put a plug in here. Could you all go over to the Talk TJ section to the site ideas thread and give her your input about the message board profiles? Pleasssssssseeeeeeeee? She posted asking for input and it is something that we can improve, and would like the ideas of the people that use the board!

Thanks!
Sharon
word count: 79
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Hodgins
Fan

Post by Hodgins »

Well, I'm here, but what to write. Where to start. I'll just give you a brief description of myself.

I'm Jo. I am 20 years young and I live in central England. I'm currently at University in Birmingham studying Sport and PE. Absolutely love music and sports, I'm a lifelong Liverpool FC fan (which I thought I would mention as I noticed someone singing about Torres in a previous post). I don't really watch much television as I just don't find the time to, the only two programmes I seem to keep on top of are of course Bones and Prison Break (Wentworth Miller is a god). :D

Err, not really sure what else to say. If there's any questions you want to fire at me. Go ahead. I'm all ears.
word count: 139

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi Jo, thanks so much for posting here. I see you've been in the chat box too. We love getting to know new members. I live 5 miles north of Liverpool and teach languages at a private boys' school where I'm also head of yr 7. I have 2 sons, one 16 and working towards GCSE, one 20 and studying French at Leeds university. Pleeeeaase don't let the 1st thing you think be' ooh, she could be my mother'!!!

Son no.1 is a dyed-in-the-wool Evertonian while son no.2 is a confirmed Red, and, though not fanatical like them, I love to watch footie (frankly fed up with Benitez' strange obsession with playing just one striker up front). We have another great Liverpudlian on here, Jude, who will enjoy talking to you, and a friend who plays soccer in the US, Dohee.

Good to have you here. Enjoy!
word count: 155
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Hodgins
Fan

Post by Hodgins »

Haha, I'm pretty open minded when it comes to age. Some of my dearest friends are alot older than I am. As long as you share some interests (and in this particular case it looks like Bones and TJ first and teaching too).... I want to progress onto becoming a teacher of Physical Education. Or at least that's my hope once I have graduated from University and then done my PGCE.

I'm also a tad fed up with Benitez and his strange frame of mind of late. Not sure I can explain some of his tactical decision but I love the club so got to stand tall and stick with it. League position isn't massively bad. Haha. Could be better though.
word count: 125

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Jo

I'm a student as well, though I'm 20 years older than you, I decided to go to school a few years ago because I didn't do it when I was younger. Anyway, I'm a computer science major. Basically I spend my time studying, playing on the computer, watching Bones and bugging TJ about updates/improvements for the site. HA HA Glad you could join us and tell us a little about yourself. :D

Sharon
word count: 79

Hodgins
Fan

Post by Hodgins »

Argh. So your actually in direct contact with the main man himself. Well that's a suprise. I didn't know that.

Never too old to be educated.... :D
word count: 28

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

Wanted especially to say hi to Jo you can never have too many Reds! I've been a season ticket holder since '88-'89 season (that makes me feel really old). I'm also obviously a massive fan of bones especially TJ obviously, Mr B and Emily Deschanel (who is especially good with the comedy she has me in hysterics sometimes).
I also love travelling especially to the US although finances prevent this from happening too often.
I became a vegetarian last year so have taken to cooking a lot recently (its a lot healthier than the pre packaged veggie stuff)

Anyway enough about me hi again

Jude x
word count: 111

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

May I just say before I'll go to bed (at almost 7am :shifty: :shhh: :D ) -
HUGH JACKMAN :!: WOW :!: What a man! :romance-heartspink: He was the best host in years! :D Have you seen him? If not you've missed a lot! He was so great! :romance-admire: And I am happy that Sean Penn got his 2nd Oscar. I kind of like him even he is not in my favourite actors list. Kate Winslet was great, too. Very moving speech!
OK, very tired! :sleeping-sleeping: Go to bed now! Will be back later today! :)

Good night! :sleeping-asleep:
Simone. :sci-fi-beamup:
word count: 89

Hodgins
Fan

Post by Hodgins »

All I have to say is just yay to any of my fellow Liverpool supporters on board.

Considering we haven't had a great run of results of late (bar the Chelsea beating and the brilliant comeback against Pompey the other week), what a result we got in Madrid last night. Was well over the moon hearing the result (I missed it because I was supporting my friends band at a charity event).

Yossi Benayoun as well, a player I don't massively rate scoring the winner. Heard it was a pretty rubbish game though but hey, we can go into the next leg with a nice away goal behind us.
word count: 111

Hodgins
Fan

Post by Hodgins »

Was just looking around the forum as well and was just wandering about usernames..... is there reasonings for some usernames, I mean, mine is pretty self explanatory, I'm actually pretty suprised nobody else had it already but hey ho. I am nosey. That's all. :)
word count: 46

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi Hodgins/All

Go Reds!!!!!!!!! Fab result and game wasn't actually that bad although could have done without the injury to Torres. Just gotta keep it going against the 'boro now. Not sure if I'm happy or not that it looks like Rafa's staying now that Parry is going have to see what happens.

My username is pretty self explanatory its a universal one. I'm getting on a bit and the memory's not what it used to be so its easier to have one username! The 40 was my age when I started using it, I've aged a year since then, although I'm still convinced I'm 21.

Whilst I'm on here just a quick moan. Going to the X Factor tour next week (very sad I know but hey it keeps me out of mischief), and the tickets aren't going to arrive on time so we have to queue an hour before the show with all the other thousands of people, not impressed. On the plus side the Kaiser Chiefs tickets fo the next day have arrived HURRAH!!!

Anyway at least its nearly the weekend, always good news.

Have a good one everyone

Jude x
word count: 205

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hodgins wrote:Was just looking around the forum as well and was just wandering about usernames..... is there reasonings for some usernames, I mean, mine is pretty self explanatory, I'm actually pretty suprised nobody else had it already but hey ho. I am nosey. That's all. :)
Well my username-it is my initials and where I am from, so nothing too spectacular and no good story there. I use it on any message board I join, I never have to try to remember what name I used for which board. :)

Sharon
word count: 93

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, all! Sorry I've been a bit AWOL here lately. I've been dealing with a bit of family drama, here and there. The most recent is my poor grandmother. Or as I teased her this morning after she returned from the emergency room, "the continuing 'adventures' of Grandma."

A few weeks ago, she was making homemade soup, decided not to wait until it cooled first (or you know, ask me for help!) before pouring it into canning/freezing jars. She accidentally knocked one of the jars over and the hot soup burned the top of her foot. Of course she waited for over 45 minutes before she told me what happened, probably when she finally realized she couldn't handle it or fix it by herself -- wow, am I like my grandma in that regard! -- and by then it had blistered and gotten seriously red and gross. But thankfully that's been healing up very nicely; in fact, surprisingly well, given that she's 92. It's almost entirely healed by now.

Anyway, then she caught a bad cold. Would she listen to me or my aunts when we told her to drink more fluids, especially water (which she barely drinks at all), and take medicine and do little things to keep her cold from getting really bad or turning into pneumonia? No, because what do we know? We're not doctors, so she didn't listen to us. ;) Unfortunately, her cold turned into bronchitis. Now she has to drink a lot of water and do all sorts of other things, but this time her doctor said it so she's actually listening. Especially because she's very independent and doesn't want to end up in the hospital for any reason, especially with bronchial pneumonia. So, I've been bringing her sports bottles filled with water periodically throughout the day, checking in on her, and massaging her back every few hours (the doctor thought that might help loosen up her lungs which have that yucky stuff in 'em, so I do the massage thing during the day and my aunts do it for her in the evening). I've also been making supper every night -- wow, what a challenge to come up with different ideas, based on what they have in their fridge or freezer. Reminds me how much I miss living on my own. It's much easier when it's only me; I don't mind eating the same thing for dinner four nights in a row. Heh, making one yummy meal and then living off the leftovers all week was my way of life. :lol:

Anyway, she's been on antibiotics for a couple days now, seemed to be doing okay. But then early this morning she got up to go to the bathroom, got tangled up and fell, spraining the side of her foot. My aunt took Grandma to the emergency room to have her foot x-rayed, but thankfully first she woke me up to tell me what happened so that I wouldn't freak out if I woke up and found my grandmother gone with no explanation. She thought for sure her foot was broken, or had some sort of hairline fracture or something, which is not entirely implausible given that she's got osteoporosis, so it's pretty lucky it turned out she didn't break her foot. That's a relief.

But this happened after she's already been dealing with her bronchitis and the burn on her foot, so it just feels like 'come on, universe, leave my grandma alone, will you?' I feel terrible for her. She's not been able to do anything she usually likes to do -- she likes to do crossword puzzles and read novels all day long, and every once in a while she'll go on these day trips with her senior group. But she's been too tired to read or do her puzzles because of her awful cold, and her foot and her bronchitis have kept her from attending the last couple of senior trips, so it seems like she's been cooped up in the house, resting all the time and not really getting to do anything that she enjoys. And of course she feels like she's being a burden to me and my aunts. *shakes head* I just want her to get better so she can get back to enjoying her life.

So... that's basically been my focus for the past few weeks. Throw in a couple of frustrating moments between me and my parents (I won't even get into that *groan*), then a visit from my sister last weekend, and you can see why I haven't been around in a while. But I've sure been thinking about you all, and of course have wanted to comment on the latest Bones episodes as well. :D

Okay! So that's what has been going on in my life. How are the rest of you? Hope you all are safe and healthy and drama-free in your corners of the world. :mrgreen:

~Sherry
word count: 855