Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by jade.stormcloud »

*takes the opportunity, while no one's around, to stretch out on the sofa & take a nap* :sleeping-blue:
word count: 17
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

If anyone's wondering what happened to the Bones/Sully discussion that this section of thread developed (quite naturally!) into - especially Shona, who introduced it in the first place! - I have moved it up to the Bones forum for further exploration. The Sofa is mainly for talking about ourselves and what's going on in our lives, although it does overlap with Intro, and Bones talk can get lost here. So I'll see you up top!
word count: 77
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi all

Just stopped by to see whats going on with anyone, been a bit distracted sorting things for the audition, the application form they sent me took ages to complete for a start, then (as the show is based around puzzles etc) I borrowed Alex's mum's Nintendo DS last Saturday for a week to do the brain training. I was a bit depressed when I started out with a brain age of sixty but now I'm down to twenty two and feeling a bit better. I'm so looking foward to Saturday now.

Hi to Shona btw New Zealand is a cool country, its a few years since I was there but I loved it, mostly travelled around the North Island, Rotorua and Hukka Falls were particularly cool.

Anyway off to watch the remainder of the Reds game on the TV.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 150

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Okay is there some law that says I can never find what I'm looking for, everything else but not what I actually want to find. I need my birth certificate for Saturday as back up for my passport 'cos I discovered it expired in March (that's another story). I have so far managed to find my first and second birthday cards (all of them), my baptism certificate and my first pair of proper shoes but so far the birth certificate is proving to be elusive. I'm sure it was with all the baby stuff, it must have grown legs and walked!

Never mind onward with the search

Jude x
word count: 112

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

We had to get hold of a new copy of son no.1's birth certificate as part of the documentation he needed to sort out his job in France - for some reason we only possessed the short version. So I appreciate the absolute frustration of needing something like that in short order and not being able to find it! Good luck!
word count: 62

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I'm afraid I won't be on for a while, but rest assured, I am not abandoning you all, I'm just camping. See you when I get back!
word count: 30
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

:(
Have fun. We'll miss you!
word count: 6

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Lots of fun, Jade! :)
Simone.
word count: 5
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :greetings-wavingyellow: :greetings-wavingyellow: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So been a busy couple of weeks, but I now have two weeks left of my summer class! I'm doing really well, though today we took our midterm and I'm thinking I didn't write enough on a couple of the questions. But the teacher is a really really great teacher. As I told Steph the other day, after signing up for his class, he posted the syllabus online for those of us in the class to be able to access prior to class. I read it and thought "Oh what have I gotten myself into?". His syllabus seemed very strict and straightlaced! But we start class and I realize this is the most laid back professor. He is really funny. We do a ton of reading for his class and he does expect you to do the reading or you won't pass his class, but when we do the discussions on the things we read he is really open to hearing what everyone saw in or thought about the book or short story. Even when it is very odd, he has a good laugh about it, as do the rest of us. Tells us funny stories about himself. The class is two and a half hours long Monday through Friday but it is the quickest two and half hours I've ever spent in a class. Anyway, can you tell I'm really enjoying this class? Tuesday we had our first test on a book (James Fenimore Cooper's "The Prairie"). I did really really well on that.

Okay other than that hope to have some news as far as TJ, site updates, etc sometime soon! Steph, haven't heard back yet so will definitely let you know when I do. :mrgreen:

Hope you are all doing well. Simone, sounds like you had a great holiday, I'm glad! Glad you like the avatar too.

Hi and hugs to everyone! :greetings-wavingblue: :romance-grouphug:

Sharon
word count: 325
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Forgot to say Welcome to Shona! Glad you did decide to join us, and I see you jumped right in with discussion! Hope you'll enjoy discussing Bones and TJ and anything else here.
word count: 34
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

JennyLea
Fan

Post by JennyLea »

Hello,

My name is Jenny. I am 26 years old and I live in Alberta Canada. I just recently was introduced to "Bones" and have to admit that it is one of my two favourite TV Shows. I watched all the episodes online. My TV snows on all the channels so I don't watch much of it.

I enjoy sewing, needle work (especially embroidery), watching movies, music (I play the trumpet), and animals. I will be the first to admit that I have seen many of the movies that TJ is in, but it was "Bones" that really brought him to my attention.

I am an Environmental Chemist and it is my job to analyze dirt, water, and many other disgusting things for disposal. No I don't have a doctorate or even a degree just a college diploma. I would love to finish my Agriculture Technology degree one day though.

I'm not very good at introducing myself or talking to new people so I will say Hello and end this here... For now!! :lol:
word count: 176

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Jenny! Welcome! So glad you could join us. :) I think you did a great job introducing yourself! Hope we get to hear more from you...I think we are a great bunch here so hopefully we can all make you feel right at home! :D

Sharon
word count: 46

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Hi Jenny! :text-welcomewave: Your job sounds interesting. Hope you have fun here!
Simone.
word count: 12

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Hey Sharon! :greetings-wavingblue: Long time no see! Glad you like your summer-class! It sounds like you have a lot of fun! You just doing it for fun, right?
Simone. :techie-offtheair:
word count: 29

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

Hi All

Just wanted to say had the best time at the audition I can't wait to apply for the next one. I don't think I did well enough on the questions to get through, the maths, memory and visual stuff was ok but I didn't do too well on the logic and the co-ordination omg, it was one of those things where you have to guide a hook round a bendy wire thing and it buzzes if you touch, I did ask if I would get a prize for the most buzzes (although actually I don't think I did quite have the most).

I'll find out in a couple of weeks if I got through but I'm not holding my breath. They reckon they had over 2000 applications though and are only auditioning 300 so I'm pleased I got this far.

The best bit was talking about yourself to the girl from the production team, I thought I might be a bit nervous as the other seven prospective contestants were in the room too, but I absolutely loved it, talked about everything from Judy Garland's footprints to genealogy and from pub quizzes to playing pool.

One last things I wanted to say has anyone seen the documentary 'Farrah's story' about Farrah Fawcett's battle with cancer? I watched it on TV last night and I have to say it was the most difficult to watch but totally inspiring programme I've ever seen. I bawled my eyes out but it really was a wake up call to do as much as you can with the life you've been given.

Anyway, going to chill for the rest of the day and watch the cricket before going out for drinks this evening.

Catch you later

Jude x
word count: 307

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I'd like to offer a big hi and a warm welcome to Jenny. It's so good to see you here. I see you have been answering TJ's question thread and I find your answers poignant and fascinating. I particularly like your obvious respect for the earth you work with - that is soooooooo Jack. Keep posting!

Jude, I've been thinking about you today. Whether you actually get beyond this point matters little, I suspect; the journey has been riveting by the sound of it and you seem to have acquitted yourself in style. Well done!
I'm afraid I missed the Farrah programme (out watching the new Harry Potter and having a meal en famille in a restaurant - rare event), but was annoyed that despite the fact that I'd noticed it in the schedule, I forgot to record it. It sounds very moving, honest and thought-provoking. It's bound to come round again and I'll make a point of watching it then...thanks for reminding me and confirming how inspiring it was.
word count: 178

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Jude, nice to hear that you had a good time at the audition. Please let us know how it turned out.
"The Mentalist" is on now, so I wish you all a great sunday evening!
Simone.
word count: 36

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

:( :x
<<sulk>>
I've just been in the chatbox and read this magnificent conversation Sharon and Hillarie had yesterday in which I have been unable to participate because of the time difference!! So many times I could have said something! Can't you girls get up at ooh, dunno, about 3 am so I can catch you while I'm on, checking the board?? <<rant>>

I notice you mention that traffic is low. People tending to come in and out and not revisit for long periods. This is interesting and I think there are several reasons for it. Consider the following:
  • we might have 200 members on the list but some were spammers, some join as they would a fanlisting rather than a forum, some are oriented towards, or even running, other forums (especially Bones-centrics), some are shy and prefer to lurk, some are very busy at work or on vacation.
  • TJ hasn't had time to come in for a while. His written/thread contributions and quick chatbox visits always stir interest. A blog would be heaven, but no chance I suspect (though it wouldn't be very different from tweets).
  • As moderator, it's my job to keep things on the boil by creating new threads etc., and I've been just too tired to keep up with stuff till recently.
  • Bones is on hiatus and we haven't got concrete news about other projects - that comes from TJ and other sources, but things are a bit up in the air regarding various projects just now.
  • My experience of other sites with a small and intimate membership hints that members do drop out for long periods, but return with news etc. It's a matter of having a life outside. We tend to forget that outside our community there is family, joy, disappointment, suffering, study going on. And with our huge age range, this is magnified.
  • As you said - no Big Events for a while. These are wonderful - the birthday party was my idea, since I'd done it elsewhere, and occasions like that draw people together. Can be a pig timewise, though. We could arrange an online live commentary on Bones 5.01 in the autumn, but that would exclude anyone not in the US.
  • I don't think people are aware of the amazing number of possible contributions they can make to threads here to stimulate response. The Talk TJ threads need serious attention! And in the past we have had, for instance, votes for the best photos in the gallery, or for the best layout on the home page, which also piqued interest in the main site. Any ideas there?
I fear I am going away tomorrow morning and am not back till Tuesday. Significant other and I will be in beautiful Lincoln, visiting friends and celebrating our 23rd wedding anniversary. Kids strictly out of the picture, let's hope they don't have a destructive party in our absence! But the point is, I won't be around and participating, so I want you to give me as much as possible to read when I get back! You're always so entertaining!And I'll miss you all.[/color]
word count: 535

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Oops, forgot..Rebecca, are you going to Comic Con as usual? Any news (even Random thread news) would be seized on happily.
word count: 22

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Before I get side-tracked with the day's activities... HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, STEPH! How romantic. I hope you have a beautiful weekend together. :romance-smileyheart:

Don't worry about the kids; they'll be fine. ;)

Sharon, you sound so busy! But it also sounds like a good course with a really good teacher. Sometimes I think having an energetic, fun teacher like that makes it easier to learn because the students tend to pay more attention in class and get engaged in the subject and the discussions. I hope you enjoy the class!

Jude, what's the latest? How are things going? Are you having fun with the process of auditions? Sounds like no matter what happens, it's been an interesting and entertaining experience. :)

Me... I've been getting sucked up in various projects:

1) I'm still looking for a new job. (Yes, really. *heavy sigh*) That's been pretty defeating lately, but I keep trying. Sometimes I wonder where the hell my life is going and what I'm supposed to be doing, and it gets very frustrating and upsetting, but ... *shrugs* ... what can I do but keep trying? :?

2) I was going for 3 mile walks every other day, but I've had to stop doing that for the last week or two. An explanation: a few years ago, I slipped and fell in a graceless, sprawling heap from some unseen ice on the sidewalk, and as a result injured the bottom of my right foot (it's called plantar fasciitis), in which the tissue that runs along the bottom of the foot from the heel going all the way into the instep is sprained or pulled or gets all tight and inflamed or something. It's painful. At its worst, I felt like (what I imagine it would be like if) someone were ripping the bottom of my foot off. Excruciating would be the word for it. At its best, it's simply a nagging annoyance of an uncomfortable pain, a bit of tightness and ache that feels like it just won't go away, no matter how much you flex and stretch the bottom of your foot. Which is annoying, considering you have to, you know, step on the bottom of your foot in order to walk. Somehow in the last month I managed to revisit that injury, and I think my walks exacerbated it because a week ago it got really sore. Not ripping-off-the-bottom-of-my-foot soreness, thank goodness, but the uncomfortability was encroaching on that, bit by bit. Thankfully, it's eased up some since I stopped going for my walks, and doing stretches that my doctor had taught me, and instead doing other things like strength training exercises and tai chi. But it's still a bit of an annoying pain because even doing those gentle exercises, you have to press your weight into your heels, to get a good stance, and just doing that gets uncomfortable after a few minutes. Plus, I miss going for my walks! It's summertime! The weather has been lovely! The skies are blue and the little birdies are chirping! (Heh.) I want to put on my music and breathe in the fresh air, damn it! :( So I've not been a happy camper.

3) My parents visited last weekend. We had a great time, playing cards with my grandma and aunts. At one point, it was getting pretty late and I think we were all kind of punchy, because my dad and my aunt started laughing and suddenly they couldn't stop laughing and they were getting all beet red in the face, that kind of laugh where you can't breathe, you're laughing so hard (or trying to contain it), and we were looking at them like, what on earth is happening, why are you two getting so loony? Which made us all laugh, and it was quite silly. :D And I took my dad to see the new Harry Potter film -- we've bonded a bit over reading and discussing the books, and I wanted to take him out for a belated Father's Day outing, so I chose the movies. He got popcorn, so he was happy. ;)

4) When my parents visited, my dad brought a bit of nostalgia with him. My sister, brother and I have all participated in music-type events (musicals, show choir, etc.) during our high school years, so my dad took the VHS video tapes of our various performances and burned them to DVD discs for each of us. He also included copies of my brother and sister's weddings, and the pictorial video that my siblings and I had made for our parents for their 25th wedding anniversary years ago. I'm a little afraid to watch some of it, it's been so long since I've seen it. The hairstyles alone might terrify me... :D All joking aside, it's really nice to have that. It means a lot to me to have the kind of keepsake, to have an account of certain events in my life that I loved so much.

Although I teased my dad that he didn't have everything. Heh. There's one musical (my high school senior year production of Bye Bye Birdie) that he doesn't have a copy of on VHS, but I do. And my college senior recital he definitely does not have, because back then I wouldn't let my parents have it. I worked so hard on that recital, and in general it I think went well, but I have personal frustrations with certain parts of it (long story) which made me ultimately unhappy with the overall recital, so I'm the only one who has a copy of it. For a long time, it disgusted me to even think about it, much less watch it. But it's been quite a few years, so maybe it's time for me to watch it and be kinder to myself about it, maybe let my parents have a copy of it. :think: We'll see. ;)

And finally...

5) I've been wrapped up in some writing lately! :dance: At first it was just simple exercises that I did for fun. An LJ community for The West Wing asked people to try their hand at illuminating a character (or characters), scene, episode, story, or whatever you wanted to express... in only FIVE WORDS. I was intrigued at the challenge, and it was definitely harder than I thought it would be, but once I did a couple, I found myself getting obsessed with it. It got to be really fun, and I did a bunch for West Wing, and three for The X-Files just because I found it so entertaining. I'd love to try some for Bones sometime! Hmm... I wonder how I could describe Jack in only five words? :mrgreen:

Anyway, that got my creative energy flowing, so I then volunteered to write some stories for some friends of mine, in order to keep challenging myself. I still need to finish that project! But in the meantime, I've allowed myself to get sidetracked for a little while: an X-Files community has been doing a rewatch of its episodes, season by season, and someone volunteers to recap the episode, and another person will write a commentary or some sort of essay about its themes or really whatever they want to express about the episode. They're currently on season 4, and some of my favorite episodes are in that season. I usually just lurk in that community; I've been too busy to fully engage in discussions. But the activity has slowed down some, right around the time of a two-episode story arc that I really love, and no one had volunteered to write the recaps, so I decided to jump into the fray and give it a try. I've spent the last week and a half watching and writing the recaps for those two episodes, and it was really time-consuming but really fun. I hadn't watched those episodes in several years, so it was wonderful to revisit them and remember why and how much I loved them. And this week the person who was set to write the next recap had to drop out, so I volunteered. I had to... it's probably one of my favorite episodes of the entire series, and if no one else was going to do it, I had to jump in and take the reins. It's a phenomenal piece of art, that episode, fantastic all around, and deserves to be lovingly recapped. :D

So, I've got that project on my plate for the next few days. It's nice to have something creative to do, to ease the stresses of life and bring joy to my heart. *smiles* I'm really looking forward to it.

Anyway, that's my life lately! What about all of you? :greetings-waveyellow:
word count: 1504
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh