The Random Thread

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Lorenith
Fan

Re: What do you think?

Post by Lorenith »

It's pretty interesting how he wants the very best, but loses sight on keeping his kids reined in and behaved hehe. I can see how that would work out though.

I see how he reaps what he sows now. :3
word count: 41

Daisy_A
Fan

Post by Daisy_A »

Come on guys, load on the feedback :naughty: I really want to know how I can construct this character further, he's not the main character but it's still important he's well rounded!
word count: 34

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Re: The Random Thread

Post by TJ4ever »

OK, I like to talk about "Primeval", again:

...and now Jenny is gone, too!? Well, maybe Claudia will be back???
But, well, I have to admit that I really liked the last episode with the knight and the dragon. I really enjoy the "Abby and Connor"-storyline. But I don't like Danny. It's just... I don't know, he just don't fit! I guess I will have the same problem with Matt Smith as the new "Doctor". No one can really replace Douglas Henshall in Primeval, and no one will be as good as David Tennant as "The Doctor"! :?

Simone.
word count: 103
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Ah, but many couldn't see the Chris Eccleston resurrection - and he did a superb job, I'm calling it a resurrection rather than a reincarnation or a regeneration because he didn't just give us a new Doctor, he refreshed the series too, and it takes great acting and a huge individual character concept to do that - being equalled by Tennant, albeit David had an excellent portfolio in some truly worthy and exciting TV and theatre productions. Give Matt a chance - he's using his year's grace to put his Doctor together.

Note to Jude:
Not happy with the Man U result....
word count: 104
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Christopher Eccleston was fantastic! I loved him as "The Doctor"!!! I thought no one could be better! But then David showed up, and he is fantastic, brilliant, great, super,...! :romance-admire: :romance-heartspink: I doubt that Matt will be better, but I will give him a chance, Steph, as well as I gave the new "Primeval" a chance. But I need to find the new episodes of "Doctor Who" on the internet when the time comes, because German TV doesn't seem to give "Doctor Who" a chance. They stopped at the end of season 2. :( :x
Simone.
word count: 93

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Lonia
Super Fan

Post by Lonia »

Really Simone? It's vice versa with me. I don't care much about the Abby / Connor storyline, but I really like Danny. I still miss Nick and I think it's really bad that Jenny is gone too. Somehow it seems like a totally different Primeval to me. Leaving the stories aside, the characters that keep me watching are Danny and Lester now.
word count: 64

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

It happend in the last episode that I thought, hm, they would be nice together. I would like to see that! And I think it will happen soon. Maybe I just want to see at least some of them together if I can't see Cutter and Jenny/Claudia together anymore! I miss Nick, though! :( But somehow I look forward to what happens next, again! Even with Danny! :wink: :)
Oh, Martina, I like Lester, too!
I'll leave, now! NCIS is on!
Simone.
word count: 82

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Oh, just one more thing! Yesterday I watched "Secret Smile" with David on TV! David as the bad guy - interesting to see! Anyone know this one?
Simone.
word count: 27

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Simone, I have seen a few scenes from "Secret Smile" but not the entire thing. I want to see it, though, because I'd heard it was quite a different role than what I'm used to seeing David Tennant play. I like it when my favorite actors take chances and try new things, even if it may surprise me or freak me out a bit. ;) David was certainly disturbing in the clips I'd seen, but I'd really love to watch them within the context of the entire film. It seemed like an unusual film, for sure.

And we have yet another thing in common, I see! NCIS! :D I'd never watched that program, my aunts have been trying to get me to give it a try for quite some time, but over the Christmas holidays (and into early January) this year I was sick with a terrible cold so I ended up spending some time laying on the sofa with a box of tissues (for my cold), cups of tea, cold meds, and my aunts' NCIS DVDs. I really love the team camaraderie, and how each character is an interesting and vibrant individual. Not every case they work on interests me, but the main team of characters always do.

P.S. Did you see last week's episode?? Talk about exciting! :shock:
word count: 224
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

Ellen
Super Fan

Post by Ellen »

Daisy_A wrote:Do you guys remember I said I wrote scripts before? Well I just wrote this characters bio and I think TJ might be good for the role if I ever finish this thing :mrgreen: Posted it below, tell me what you think.

Full Name: Paul Christopher Simone

Actor: TJ Thyne :lol:

Description: Paul is a very strict man who will work till he drops to achieve his goal- he wants his children to have the best even if it means he doesn't see them or know them. He doesn't like Emilia as it is another child to support and resents her presence. He loves his family dearly but doesn't often say very much and doesn't make it clear. He is very religious.

Hair: Brown/Blonde

Key Character Traits: Stiff, strict, uptight, opinionated, caring father, religious.

What is the Principal Function of this Character?: antagonist

What is the principal goal of this character?: To raise his children sufficiently and to get them through their education.

What will they do to achieve it?: By working until he gets enough money, feelings don't come into the equation

Family Background: Paul is an only child who was born into a deprived area- he worked hard his whole life and worked himself up from the gutter. He suffered alcoholism in his early twenties and he had several rebound girlfriends. After this he went back to his work more determined than ever and climbed to the top, he met his wife soon after and when they had their children Paul became determined to give them the best life possible.

Habits/Vices: After recovering from being an alcoholic he became extremely religious so he often reads the bible- he also winds down with a book in their own library.

Education: He went to the local school and was the cleverest student in his class. He went to Harvard to study law and graduated top of the class.

Personality: As stated before he is extremely driven and will do anything to achieve his goal, he has a very obsessive personality. He doesn't tend to show his feelings as he believes they over complicate things.

Likes: Reading, Church, Work, his luxurious lifestyle, his children succeeding, time with his wife.

Dislikes: Emilia, amateurs, trashy novels, junkies, people coming to the door asking for money.

Script writer, huh? That's very cool! I'm a writer, but I favor short stories as I don't yet have enough time for anything bigger (I'm a high school pupil in the middle of my exams) :D I started writing a script for a film, but we'll see where that goes when I leave school.

Anyway, I like the way this character sounds. I have a few things to ask: I was wondering: Do we know why he resorted to alcohol in his early 20's? Was it due to family issues? or was it something else all together?

Also, how does he feel towards his wife? Why doesn't he get to see his kids? Was it something he did, or was it all because of his wife?

How old are his kids? What is it precisely that strains his relationship with them?

I know that a lot of these things might not be told on screen, especially as the character is not a main one, but it is good to know, to have a better sense of what makes the character tick.

Thanks. x
word count: 583
"What if it doesn't end like that? What if it doesn't go wrong?"-Dr Jack Hodgins

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

OK. So, I'm posting these vids here, since they are "Buffy"-related and Not "Bones" or TJ-related.
This first one is my first ever attempt at a vid. It's horrendous, and I'm not really sure what I was on when I came up with the idea...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgllqbjR ... annel_page

The second one, some of you have already seen. It's my "Conversations with Dead People" vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf3CZhol ... re=channel

Feel free to give me your feedback.
word count: 92
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I loved these, Jade. Just so well made and well matched and imaginative. Please show us more.
word count: 17

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

For those who think this is a strange tangent, I have just started a discussion on Kathy Reichs in the Bones forum which strayed into a commentary on the merits of books v screen. I am really interested in what Sherry said in her post and so I am bringing it down here to consider!
Sinkwriter72 wrote:Interesting points about the differences between the book and film versions of Mary Poppins. You make me want to check out the original book(s)....a month or two ago there was an article in the Chicago Trib about that very topic -- they were discussing the evolution of the writing of the stage show and how it's not quite the same as the Disney movie and that people might take issue with that because it's not the sweet Mary Poppins they know (especially if they're bringing their kids, who might not be old enough to understand the intricacies of a more nuanced character). Also, the article discussed how the author of the books was initially very unhappy with the Disney film interpretation, which I found interesting. I've never read the book (or is it books?) but that article made me very curious to see what they were all about. It certainly sounded like it was a much more in-depth characterization. (Though I do have a childhood love of that Disney movie, all those songs, and of course Julie Andrews. "I love to laugh..." Heeeheee.)
Oh yes, I adored all that too, know all the songs by heart. But because I had so much more knowledge of her in the long run, the book Poppins was the one I loved. It's actually quite salutary to see a character with all those human foibles who is still likeable. She is a dyed-in-the-wool snob and is given to snorting and sniffing her disapproval. She quite obviously views herself as superior to all the other females, both servants and mistress, of the disorganised Banks household. She gazes at herself with a self-satisfied smirk when she passes shop windows or any reflective surface and is a sucker for compliments, so the children discover. She never talks about her own secret life and never explains anything of the mysteries and magic which accompany her everywhere. But she has a well-concealed soft side and becomes very attached to those she trusts and cares for - and that includes the chaotic family that she looks after. I do recommend the books, Sherry. The characters are wonderfully depicted - the Banks family has some pretty weird neighbours who all have their moments in the spotlight too. The film leaves an awful lot out, charming though it is.
Sinkwriter72 wrote:About the Harry Potter books versus the films.... I loved the films, especially the first one. It just seemed so magical and I thought the kids were funny and I liked Harry's story and really felt for him as a character, and I loved all the fun touches and the gorgeous Hogwarts castle and all of it just pulled me into that world. I felt like a kid again.
After watching those two films, I ... ended up borrowing the first five novels from my sister-in-law. The first book felt to me just like the movie; I expected there would be things they couldn't get to, but I thought they covered enough of the important elements and really captured Harry's story as well as the magic of Hogwarts and why/how it becomes more of a home to him than his actual home with the Dursleys. The extra details in that book simply felt like an additional treat. In contrast, I found I liked the second book better than the second film, because there was so much more detail and parts I found I wished they had included in the film that they didn't. What was most interesting to me, though, was that I read the next three books before I saw the next three films, and I found I liked the books better than the films. I've always wondered if I would have enjoyed the third, fourth, and fifth films better if I had not read the books first. With the first two films, I had no prior knowledge and no expectations, so I was simply there to watch the movies and get sucked into the world, which I thought both films managed to do for me wonderfully well. But with the next three films, I had by then read the books first, so there were certain parts of the books that I felt were important and that I really wanted to see portrayed in the films; therefore, when they didn't always capture my vision of the books I found myself disappointed because things got skipped. Interesting difference, isn't it?
Indeed. As you rightly say, if you are invested in certain subplots and even people who get left out, it is a personal disappointment (personal because there are as many interpretations of a book as there are readers!). It sometimes, therefore, makes a difference which you experience first. Not always, though. I read HP before I saw the films. In fact I sat in my bedroom one Christmas and consumed 2 or 3 of the books in one lump. And when I saw the first film I was amazed at how much was as I imagined it. The castle was definitely the same, and the image of the boats moving along the glinting lake by moonlight, and the banquet hall. It was unusual for something to reflect my personal picture so well. Not just unusual. Very, very rare!
Sinkwriter72 wrote:Another interesting thing: I LOVED the fourth novel, but did not like the pacing or interpretation of that film (there were several key elements that I was extraordinarily disappointed that they skipped in the film). In contrast, though I understood why Harry felt the way he did, I found myself frustrated by his constant teenagery subbornness in the fifth book, which made it less of an enjoyable read, which in turn made me wary of the upcoming film... until I actually saw it, and found that I really enjoyed watching it. So my book vs. film view got flip-flopped! I thought for sure I'd love the fourth film because I sooo loved that book, and thought for sure I'd find the fifth film annoying because I found the fifth book more than a bit frustrating (not to mention in need of some more editing, whoo, was that one ever long!), but in actuality I was wrong about both of those films. I found that very curious.
Harry Potter for me reached a peak at the fourth novel. I loved the story - which, like you, I found imperfectly depicted on film - but that was where the books began to fall prey to self-indulgent ramblings and become rather too long. I don't know what Half Blood Prince will be like when it comes out, but as a reader I enjoyed it least of all. Not just overly long, but overly complicated, with endless flashbacks in a rush to get all the necessary information to the reader at once. And actually, Phoenix had a problem which became more obvious in the film, which was simply Why? That prophecy story went nowhere, why would Voldemort have wanted it? Such a slender and feather-light premise on which to build such a tome.

I think I did mention the LOTR series on the other thread. Lord Of The Rings was something I had never been able to approach as a reader, and the films helped hugely in my effort to appreciate this weighty classic. I just couldn't get further than a few pages into it. The epic quality of the quest plot and the number of characters involved completely turned me off. Every character seemed to be the same as all the others, with 3 or 4 interchangeable names each! I couldn't sympathise or identify with any of them and I thoroughly disliked Arwen because of her elven passivity and the fact that any relationship with her was bound to be one of courtly love - ugh. I do realise that makes me somewhat of a philistine in the eyes of a lot of people, but it'd be tedious if we all felt the same way about everything!!
word count: 1415

jade.stormcloud
TJ Junkie

Post by jade.stormcloud »

I haven't read the Reichs books, or the Mary Poppins ones, so I can't really comment on those.

I have read most of the "Harry Potter"s, and have seen the first 5 movies. I do take issue with the differences between book and film. I'm actually a little too uptight about it. :) When I saw the first HP movie, I was constantly saying "That's wrong," "It didn't happen that way," "That wasn't in the book," etc. My friends kept yelling at me to shut up. LOL. So I had to spend the rest of the movie just writhing in my seat trying not to complain everytime something was off. I just wait until they come out on video now so that I can complain in the privacy of my own home and no one is there to shush me!

That said, I didn't dislike them, I just don't understand why movies can't follow the book EXACTLY. Alright, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I can understand that something may need to be cut for time, or something may need to be altered in order to be understandable in the visual format. What I have no tolerance for, is when things are added or changed. "If you have time to add or expand scenes, then you could have left in that scene you cut out instead, and why on earth would you need to give all of one character's actions to another?" But anyway...

<steps down off her soapbox, and tries to covertly kick it under the bed> "Soapbox? What soapbox?"
word count: 272
“When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be.” - Henry Van Dyke

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:Simone, I have seen a few scenes from "Secret Smile" but not the entire thing. I want to see it, though, because I'd heard it was quite a different role than what I'm used to seeing David Tennant play. I like it when my favorite actors take chances and try new things, even if it may surprise me or freak me out a bit. ;) David was certainly disturbing in the clips I'd seen, but I'd really love to watch them within the context of the entire film. It seemed like an unusual film, for sure.
Yeah, really disturbing role he played in it! Unusual, but brilliant as ever! It was great to see him in a different part. As a really bad guy. Guess it is interesting for actors to play the "bad guy" once in a while. Challenging!
Sinkwriter72 wrote:
And we have yet another thing in common, I see! NCIS! :D ... I really love the team camaraderie, and how each character is an interesting and vibrant individual. Not every case they work on interests me, but the main team of characters always do.
Oh I love NCIS! :) Mark Harmon - so hot! I watched it from the start, 'cause I was also a big J.A.G.-fan. The team was introduced in a JAG-episode. And there I thought this might be interesting to watch. And I have watched it ever since! Don't have the DVD's. I want them but you can't have everything. At the moment it's too expensive for me to get them.
P.S. Did you see last week's episode?? Talk about exciting! :shock:
Haven't got the time to see it. Need to find it somewhere, because on German TV we are in the middle of season 6/episode 12 - the one in the women prison. Today they show another new episode of season 6. So I'm off in a few minutes. I'll try to find the episode you mentioned and maybe get back to you on that! What season do they show in the USA? Are you at the end of season 6, or has season 7 already started?

Simone.
word count: 368

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Okay Ellen, about House. Overall I'd say the season was pretty good. Some of it, if you've seen all of season 4 of Bones, you are going to notice a few episode similarities, not that the cases were similar just the situations are somewhat along the same theme..not sure why that is but I noticed it, since they were two of only three shows I watched each week. I have to say I thought the House finale was mind blowing-and I am really looking forward to where they go with it from there. Some shows were so so, it does all depend on how you feel about the "new" team though. Personally I'd rather have the old team back so some of it was a bit dull for me because I don't like Thirteen or Taub.

Okay, was trying to do that without spoiling, hope that sort of answers your questions??
word count: 157
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Ellen
Super Fan

Post by Ellen »

Definitely! Thank you. I can't wait to see it!
I only watch a few TV shows too, 24 being my favourite of all time (closely followed by Bones of course!)

Did anyone else happen to watch day 7 of 24?
Let me know.
x
word count: 45
"What if it doesn't end like that? What if it doesn't go wrong?"-Dr Jack Hodgins

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

I love to watch HOUSE, too. We are at the beginning of season 5 but it stopped for summer break or so. Now they air reruns. :(
Simone.
word count: 27

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Oh, just want to tell you that David Tennant is doing a TV version of HAMLET ! (Well actually the BBC! :) ) Thought a lot of you are interested in that! So great! Filming begins in June! :D :dance: :banana-rock: :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-wavemulticolor: :romance-heartspink: :romance-admire: :text-woo: Really looking forward to watch it. Really curious how it will turn out. But I believe it will be as great as the play! :D
Simone. :royalty-crown: :greetings-waveyellow:
word count: 60

Lonia
Super Fan

Post by Lonia »

I also love to watch House - but I haven't seen the last few new episodes that were shown. I just decided that I don't have the time to watch all those TV shows anymore (hopefully I can see some on DVD though). So lately I mostly watched Primeval, Bones and Ghost Whisperer.
word count: 54