Disaster and aftermath

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
sindyciaray
Fan
Mood:

Re: Disaster and aftermath

Post by sindyciaray »

That was seriously a disaster with all of that way to you
word count: 12

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi Sindy
I have to confess I am a bit confused by what you say in your post "all that way to you". But thank you for your sympathy and contribution. For those of the TJ community spread all over the world, this is an important thread whereby we can at least acknowledge our friends' awful experiences everywhere when we otherwise could do nothing but send financial aid.
Welcome. Please do post in the Introductions thread so we can get to know you better.
Steph.
word count: 85
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Sad news from very near my home town in New Mexico. I grew up in Bloomfield NM and our rival high school was Aztec just 5 miles to the north. Today there was a shooting at Aztec high school and 3 students are now dead, including the shooter. I’m not sure if there were other injuries but at one point the news was reporting up to 15 others were hurt. The police are still investigating and haven’t released very much information so it’s hard to know what’s true or just rumors. I have many friends and family still in NM and my cousin’s children currently go to Aztec high school. Thankfully, I heard from my cousin’s wife that their kids are safe and unharmed. It’s just crazy that these things keep happening. It’s senseless and so hard to believe that something like this happened so close to home. I’m keeping my thoughts with the families who lost their children today. :sad:
word count: 169
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

Daniela
Super Fan

Post by Daniela »

This so so awful. I can´t even imagine what´s going on in those people´s head and I don´t even want to! So glad to your that your cousins are safe. We once had it in my home town as well, thankfully nobody died. The attacker was seen early enough and so everyone was able to hide in classrooms and call the poiice. Each time I hear of news like this I come unbelieably sad. They´re kids! This world is so messed up these days.
word count: 89
"My life turned around but I´m still living my dreams" - Anastacia

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Yeah, the people who do this are just evil. Turns out, the guys was 21 and pretending to be a student. He had planned it all in advance and wanted to kill as many people as he could before killing himself. He managed to shoot 2 students in the hallway while classes were in session, and a janitor (who I later found out is the son on my mom’s cousin) saw the shooter and starting screaming to warn the teachers and students to lock down their classrooms. He saved many lives while risking his own to warn as many people as he could. Our community had really come together to help the families of the two students killed and it’s so awesome watching the love everyone has shown. I may not live in NM anymore but it will always be home and many of my friends and family still living there have made sure to keep me updated.
word count: 160
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

Daniela
Super Fan

Post by Daniela »

Wow, your Cousin was really brave by warning the others. I´m so happy that he´s okay. It´s somehow sad that those awful things need to happen before people remember how important it is to stand together. I won´t imagine the loss of the families of the two students but it´s good that everyone supports them. It´s the right thing to do and it sure helps them a bit.
word count: 74

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I was so desperately sorry to hear about yet another school shooting in the US. Our deepest condolences go to all of you out there but especially to all in Santa Fe who lost friends and family. It's difficult to know what to say, but everyone's thoughts are with you. :(
word count: 52

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi Sharon, this is for you.

We have been away for the last few days on a choral commitment in London. The wifi had broken down in our hotel but obviously the news about the horrible shooting in El Paso was reported. I've been so worried. I sent a text but I'm pretty sure it was to an out-of-date number and I am aware you don't look at your cell all the time anyway. As you know I am not on social media. So now I'm home, please reassure me that you and the people close to you are safe. The whole issue is desperately sad and incomprehensible, but so much worse when it hits near home. Love to you and yours as always.
Steph x
word count: 132

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Steph thank you for your message. My phone number changed just a couple of weeks ago and sadly I can no longer receive texts from outside the U.S. on the new plan (which sucks) Or if I can receive them I can't reply...not sure about that.

My family is all good. We rarely go to that Walmart as there are 2 full Walmarts and 2 markets much closer to where we live. And my sister lives completely on the other side of the mountain so also rarely goes there. My brother and I were actually at Walmart when we received the active shooter alert on our phones but it was specific as far as area so we knew it wasn't near us.

These sorts of things are tragic and made more so by the absolute ignorance and willful negligence of our government to even ATTEMPT to do anything about it. Which just makes me angry.
word count: 159
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi everybody.
I don't know how many of our UK members have been caught up in, or even lost everything in, these awful floods that have come on the tails of storms Ciara and Dennis. I'm very aware how lucky I am in an area which doesn't really flood, but last weekend we spent time in a region we love around the Severn river, and driving over bridges that pretty much felt simply like roads through an ocean was very scary. Our thoughts are with you all at this desperate time.

Also I have been remiss in not previously mentioning the horrible coronavirus that is spreading with such speed. I hope that you and yours have not been affected by it directly and will be thinking of those victims too.

With love
Steph x
word count: 137

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

So here we are again, and again a very sad and difficult time. I'm sure there are many members out there desperately concerned for sick relatives or vulnerable loved ones whom they can't visit, employees who don't know where their next paycheck is coming from, people who can't pay their rent, schoolchildren who cannot sit exams which affect their future, owners of businesses which are shutting down...Covid19 is making us realise just how dependent we are on one another. About to embark on a week of Skype lessons to pupils who don't want to be home or taught at home, punctuated by babysitting at school for the poor kids whose parents are front-line and can't look after them at home, deprived of any of my dearest hobbies and dearest friends, I can only feel for others who are so much worse off than I am and try to think of little ways I can help.

Sending out cyberlove and cyberhugs to all of you out there I know and care for - and everybody else too. Stay well.
Steph xxx
word count: 187

Daniela
Super Fan

Post by Daniela »

Hey everyone,

With this Corona Virus taking over the world more and more, I just want to say that I hope all of you as well as your loved ones are doing good. It´s a scary time, especially when we look to countries like Italy. However, I hope that with the limitations of authorities world wide we will soon see first successes like in Wuhan.

Being quarantined is a more or less hard thing for everyone. I see a lot of friends struggling with it but the time will pass!

Stay safe everyone. :)
word count: 94

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Thanks Daniela. For your usual common sense, compassion and positivity. It will be hard, desperately hard for many, but one way or another, but you are right - there will be an end to this. Some time.
word count: 36

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I wanted to say how appalled and troubled I have been by recent events in the US. Yours is a beautiful and noble country and it's truly sad to see it so divided.

And I continue to send my thoughts to all who are currently affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, particularly the scary new variants which spread so easily and with which my own country is presently afflicted and under lockdown.
word count: 73