Disaster and aftermath

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Re: Disaster and aftermath

Post by TJ4ever »

True, Steph!
word count: 2
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

They have been foremost in our minds, so a quick message here for those in Queensland affected by these appalling destructive floods that apparently haven't peaked yet; I hope you and yours come through it all safe and healthy and able to rebuild literally and emotionally.

Heartfelt wishes also to anyone affected by the tragic shooting in Arizona.

word count: 59
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

freedom
Fan

Flood Crisis

Post by freedom »

People may or may not aware but Queensland/ Brisbane are having problems with extreme flooding, I ask that people pray for protection on those who are alive, the people who've lost loved ones. That we are united by looking out, donating to the Flood Appeal and actually for the people that need it!
word count: 54

thayanne
Fan

Post by thayanne »

ThyneAlone wrote:

Sometimes we fail to look outwards and acknowledge how fortunate we are. :(

Truth....
word count: 15
"The biggest regret of my life is I didn't stop you "

cutenebula
Conspiracy Theorist

Tsunami

Post by cutenebula »

Hey...
I know that writing this here will not change anything, but I need to express it...
I am deeply sad about what happens in Japan, I know I'm not the only one. There's nothing I can do to help, except sending positive thoughts...
I have friends in Japan, I know they are not in the devastated area, but I'm really worrying a lot for them, even if they say "it's ok, we wait to see what happens"...
Ok, I know this will not change the result, but I just needed to say how much I'm worrying...

véro
word count: 104
The waffle conspiracy...

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by skftex »

Vero, it is all very worrying, the things going on in Japan. No you are not the only one, and of course there isn't a lot we can do, which makes us feel worse about it. It is just all really, really sad, and I keep hoping they'll manage to get their nuclear plants stable. :( I know they are being given support by many countries and at least people aren't just sitting back and letting them deal with this huge tragedy by themselves.

Sharon
word count: 87
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by TJ4ever »

It's so sad! Everytime I watch the reports or hear about it or wanna talk about it with people I get tears in my eyes. Can't find the right words to say... :(
word count: 34

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

So now the appalling horrors in Japan bring us to revisit this thread. The images of misery, fear and devastation have been almost unbearable, and as usual amidst all the pain, grief and despair there has been tremendous heroism and endless effort.

The rebuilding is going to take years, both physically and emotionally - all I can do from here is offer a financial contribution, but I hope that everyone feels they can do something, however small. Shared humanity demands it I think.
word count: 82

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

My prayers and thoughts are with the people in Oslo and the families of the victims and the victims today. What an incredible tragedy.
91 dead so far... I thinkI will never really understand what causes a person to do sth like that, even though it's kind of what I studied. Professionally I know, personally it makes me speechless.
word count: 60
HODGINS: Well, hello, my exotic princess.
CAM: What a charmingly inappropriate greeting, Dr. Hodgins.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I have friends in Norway, in Oslo, and I haven't heard from them yet, so I am in a very anxious and tearful state at the moment. How can people perpetrate this kind of horrific, premeditated monstrosity?
word count: 38

Akarana
Super Fan

Post by Akarana »

I could give you a really scientific explanation for that about narcissistic personality disorders, political/religious misguidings and so on, but it doesn't really help to understand such tragedies. I know all that stuff and I'm still unable to comprehend. Which I am sure every healthy and sane person is.

I hope your friend is alright. But Oslo is a big city and the car bomb, thank god, didn't injure or kill that many people. I think he/she might just be in shock still. *Hugs*
word count: 89
HODGINS: Well, hello, my exotic princess.
CAM: What a charmingly inappropriate greeting, Dr. Hodgins.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I have no words for something like this, Steph. It makes no sense to me. How anyone would be okay with hurting others... it's unfathomable to me.

*HUGS*

I hope you hear from your friends very soon, and that they are safe.
word count: 43

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

In memoriam.

For all those who lost someone and/or whose lives were utterly changed on this day a decade ago. We think of you, we mourn with you and pray that your loved ones have found peace. May you be consoled.

We will always remember.
word count: 46

hanneDK
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by hanneDK »

We will always remember what we did on this day.

For me it was sitting in the front office (I worked at that time at the Minitry foreign affairs) with a colleague when all of a sudden our deputy manager came rushing in tellin gus the sad news. At first we didn't believe him so we turned on the radio and checked the internet and saw it. We were in shock and our thoughts went immediately to our colleagues who worked in New YOrk.

My thoughts are with our US friends on this date.

Steph, beautiful said!
word count: 98

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I read a few 9/11 articles today, with a strange detachment. But reading your words brings it all back: the shock, the horror, the depth of sorrow, the tears...

Thank you both for your kindness.
word count: 36
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

This is something just posted on Twitter. Thought I'd share it here for those that don't have Twitter. It was three tweets due to character restrictions but I just put it all together.

I will never 4get the shame I felt on 9/11 4 being Muslim. The 1st and only time in my life I felt this way. Then I realized I live in America the greatest country in the world. And I had to show people that this act of terror was from idiots and not the majority. I will never forget that day and I pray for the people that lost their lives and the people that lost loved ones.-Pej Vahdat
word count: 117
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Wow.

I hadn't thought about it today, until you posted this, but for people like Pej, it must be a unique challenge, to deal with this day and people who might look upon his race and immediately make unwarranted assumptions about him and about Muslims in general. It's unfair.

Thanks for sharing that with us, Sharon.
word count: 58
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

As part of a school project I have been looking at a few of the anniversaries at this time, and wondering what this year will be remembered for. After a whole weekend of memorials I would like to send loving thoughts out to the descendants of those who died in the Titanic disaster a century ago and to all the relatives of the 96 people who died at Hillsborough during a football match 23 years ago.

The chief engineer on the Titanic was a local to our area and is commemorated on a memorial in our church. His name was Joseph Bell. And there was a boy of about 17 at that football match who was crushed to death in the crowd - I taught him (he has a commemorative bench in the school grounds), and his name was Simon Bell. This weekend has got me wondering whether there's a connection...
word count: 151

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I would like to express my sorrow and sympathy to all in the US, involved or not, who are shocked or traumatised by the appalling cinema shooting in Colorado. As I said in the wake of the Norwegian shootings, I completely fail to understand how anyone can carry out such hateful and evil acts, and my thoughts are with the families of all the dead and injured.
word count: 67

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Just seemed appropriate to post this on this Remembrance Day.

FOR THE FALLEN

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;