Shuffle News and Discussion

Discussion about anything and everything that isn't Bones.
stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Shuffle

Post by stargazer »

Just ordered my copy of Shuffle from Amazon, can't wait until it gets here! :eusa-dance:
word count: 17
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Shuffle arrived today! Haven't watched it yet, but would love to have a thread to discuss it with you when I did! :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:
word count: 23
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Yes, a discussion thread would be good now that more and more people are seeing it. Maybe change the name of this one to Shuffle NEWS since that is what it was and that way it won't be confused with another Shuffle discussion thread. :) The film is such an interesting concept that I think we could have good discussions about it. :)
word count: 62
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Still waiting on my copy, but I'm wondering if Shuffle is at all similar to The Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher. Just from the trailer it has a few similarities, but of course TJ is much cuter than Ashton. :icon-lol:
word count: 40
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." ~Brian Littrell

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I've never seen the Butterfly Effect but I read the description on Wikipedia. And I'd have to say, it is NOTHING like that.
word count: 25
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Ok good! Thanks for putting that to rest! I did enjoy the Butterfly Effect and I own it, but I'm glad Shuffle is unique. Can't wait to see it!
word count: 31

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Shuffle Discussion (Beware spoilers!)

Post by ThyneAlone »

SPOILER ALERT: DO NOT READ THIS SECTION OF THE THREAD IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE AND DO NOT WANT TO KNOW AHEAD OF TIME WHAT HAPPENS!

So here it is folks! Now that so many of our members are getting that wonderful DVD, come here and discuss what you think it's all about!

Your contributions will be greatly cherished!
word count: 62
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

MarinaDuister
Fan

Re: Shuffle Discussion (Beware spoilers!)

Post by MarinaDuister »

WHAHAHA I'm not sure if I wanted to know but i kept reading :angry-banghead:
I WANT MY SHUFFLE COPY, IT SEEMS SO COOOOOOOOL
xD xx
word count: 25
"What about love? What do you have to say about love?" -Angela Montenegro
"It's overrated. Most of the time." -Jack Hodgins

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Marina, we haven't posted anything truly spoiler-y yet. So whatever you read didn't give away much. ;) If you read this thread once the discussion starts you might be spoiled though.

Okay, I will comment about the film now, so stop reading if you don't want to know! I really recommend to people to NOT read spoilers on this film, it is different watching it when you know things....I kind of like the surprise elements. HAHA

The first time I saw it, I was a little distracted, and later when I was thinking about the film I thought that there was a huge problem with the film, in that while Lovell is waking up every day a different age they showed him older, but it didn't make sense that he could see that if the car crash was him reliving his life. The second time, I actually got that there were TWO times he was reliving his life, the car crash and his old age death. I also missed that he was at the funeral of his second wife Linda at one point as he was older. There were of course a couple of reasons I was distracted. I had some people behind me that were drunk, not sure WHY they were there, and were arguing about some candy that the woman wanted and the man apparently had and wouldn't let her have, and one of them was also soundly asleep and snoring by the end of the movie, which was also distracting. Then of course, yes, I was distracted that I was actually there, watching a film with TJ in it, at the same time as TJ! :shock:

I did really enjoy the film the first time I saw it despite missing something pretty major. There were several scenes where I think TJ just shines. He's great all the way through but there are just parts that are way beyond almost anything he's been given on Bones. I love the scene with his father after Grace has died and he tells him to never speak to him again. I also really love when he falls to his knees and is praying, because that scene is very much a homage to It's a Wonderful Life. The scenes where he's older and trying to talk to his teenage son that he'd never bothered to be around before, it is genius in the way the makeup/hair/costume honestly makes him look like someone that has been having a hard time, lack of sleep/possible drinking as well, his face looks so much fuller than it really is, and I doubt he gained weight for it. I know they had an exceptional makeup man though, so not so surprising.

Okay that is all for me for now. I'll wait to say more after some of you have watched and have something to say. :)
word count: 492

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Mmm thanks Sharon, I had that problem with the re-living as well (was Grace present and helping at both of them or just the car crash one?), though I think it would be clearer on a second viewing. I've got a suspicion though that on a second viewing I might start to pick out time anomalies, though, like I always do with even fairly tight time twisting plots.

The other linked issue that bothered me was that at one point I couldn't work out what had happened before the crash and what had happened after. And that was important, I mean all the changes in his life for the better appeared to come after, but I didn't really get that because I was confused. I do not have a brilliant memory, which is why I am really regretful I am probably not going to see this again (or at least only somewhere like Youtube in the distant future!) and would like you all to tell me about it.

And I haven't your excuse, Sharon, I wasn't distracted. Apart from that guy on our right who kept complaining about his restricted view and finally climbed over into an empty seat in front!!
word count: 207
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I think that she was only there after the car crash. But then the issue about the son comes up, how did he see Kevin older then later Kevin is young (he is the kid with the "fishies" isn't he?).
word count: 41

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

So, first and foremost, I thought the love story was awesome! :romance-adore: TJ is such an awesome actor that he sucks you into the story from the first second.
It did get a little confusing trying to figure out when everything happened, but I believe, Sharon, that he saw his son older before the crash because that's how his life would've ended up if he didn't start actually living it to the fullest after Grace died. And then after the crash he wanted to be part of his son's life, so he was there when his son was growing up.

It was super heart breaking in the scene between Lovell and his dad after Grace had died. It definitely brought tears to my eyes. :romance-heart: That scene to me, was one of the best in the whole movie. That and the one in which Grace is toasting to him before they were married. So sweet!

I love that there were other Bones cast members in the movie too! I've always liked Tamara, and her and TJ seem to work really well together. I've heard that they're best friends in real life.

Overall, I thought it was a great movie and I can't wait until I have a little extra time to watch it again. I'm sure there are things that I missed the first time.
word count: 232

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Oh Sharon, I forgot to ask you if you have seen the Bonus material on the DVD? There is some footage from the Hollywood premier that you went to and I was wondering if you were able to find yourself among the people there. Just curious. :D
word count: 46

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

You know, the more I think about it, it must have been Grace guiding him both times, because in the scene with the psychiatrist, who IS there because of Grace, he tells her he wakes up and he is old (72? I think?), and they do show that the psychiatrist (Patricia Belcher) is one of the three people Grace had there to help him.

I guess if he sees his son as a teenager, it must be something he sees DURING the crash...while Grace is guiding him.

Kathy yes, I am in the footage but it helps that I know where I sat. Otherwise you'd never find me. If you look on the other Shuffle thread I think I posted a pic from that footage pointing out where I am and where TJ is. ;) (Shuffle News thread, page 3)

By the way thank you so much for adding your comments on here Kathy. I hope more people will jump in when they see the film. It is interesting to read peoples thoughts about it because there is a lot there. I do understand wanting to see it again, that is how I was after the first time, things I wasn't sure of, so needed to PAY ATTENTION! :D I think they aren't just talking to Lovell when they say that. ;)
word count: 223

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Yep, you're right! It was during the crash when he saw his son as an older kid. That's what I meant, but sometimes I don't explain myself very well, lol! I also forgot to mention how impressed I was with the make-up artist who was able to age TJ so well, instead of using other actors for the 65 and 92 year old Lovell. It's incredible how realistic they make it look. Also, the child actors did a great job. Both in the movie and the bonus features, they seemed older than their actual ages. I'm always impressed when I see children who can act as well or better than adults.

Ok, I saw the picture where you pointed out where you were. That's so awesome that you were there and was able to experience the movie with TJ in the same room, so cool! I'll just have to read it over and over and live it vicariously through you, lol! Thank for sharing. :D
word count: 172

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Guess what?? I finally got the chance to watch Shuffle!

:eusa-dance:

First of all, I'd like to state that TJ Thyne owes me a box of tissues.

:crying-green:

:icon-mrgreen:

Because that movie broke me apart several times (when Grace's dog got put to sleep, a couple times he knew her death was coming and kept trying to stop it, when it actually happened, and when he had his big confrontation with his father after it happened).

And even at the end of the film, I can't even put to words exactly why, but with the final frame of the film I burst into tears and cried for a good five minutes straight. I can't even say WHY. I just felt... overwhelmed with emotion, I guess.

I'm not even sure what to say about this film yet. I feel like it's one of those films that sticks with you long after you've seen it, and you contemplate upon it over and over again. I feel like I need to sort through what I'm feeling because right now I can't put into words. It was such an interesting film and an unusual one. I'm not going to read any of your comments about it tonight because I feel like I'd like to think about this film for a little while longer on my own, in my own head and heart, before being influenced by everyone else's thoughts, you know what I mean? I feel like I want to sit with it for a while, watch it again, and just absorb the messages of the film. (And then come back and read all your comments! *GRIN*)

What I can say right now is that I loved the twisty nature of it all. I truly had NO idea where they were going with this film and what would happen next. I LOVE that. So many films these days feel predictable, like you can probably guess every little thing that's going to happen, and most of the time you're right, plus or minus a few veering details. With Shuffle, I spent the first 20 minutes saying to myself, "I have NO FRICKING CLUE what's going on!" But I like that, I like not knowing, I like puzzling over everything and wondering -- like Lovell -- what I should be paying attention to.

I didn't think he was going to be able to save Grace, but for some reason I thought his mission would be to find a way to forgive his father and in doing so save his father's miserable life.

I don't know why I didn't catch on to Lovell needing to save himself.

I mean, he acknowledged he had some sort of sleeping disorder. The warning signs were all there, especially given how many times he said he was NOT going to be like his father, yet some things you cannot control. In this case, he has the same disorder as his dad, and in the end he makes a mistake as his father did before him (though thankfully not on as grand a scale as the mistake his father made, but maybe that's what we learn, to do things a little differently than our parents and then our kids do things a little differently than us, learning from our missteps and experiences).

And I remember Lovell's accident. It was so startling in the moment, I was even murmuring to the TV as he fell asleep, "No no no... don't fall asleep, Lovell!" And the crash occurred. I'm not sure why I never thought back on that and wondered why they didn't show anything more with it.

I think the beauty of the screenplay and the pacing of the film kept things so busy and flurried with action that I didn't have time to stop and think about it. I just went with the flow of the story and what was happening in the moment. I didn't stop to think, "Why didn't we see the aftermath of that accident? What happened to Lovell when that occurred?" Though I will say that at one point I wondered if Lovell himself had been the cause of the accident, that maybe he wasn't remembering that she was a passenger in that car on that day. But for the most part I just didn't have time to think about it after it occurred on screen because the film just kept right on going and didn't stop for breath. I think that was very clever, because it kept me from noticing more or catching on that Lovell might be in some sort of limbo, himself.

It was only in the quieter moments that I had time to wonder about anything. Like when they were at Lovell's parents' house for the holidays and everything was SO quiet, you could hear the ticking of the clock. That scene was well done because it ratcheted up the tension for me as audience member; I kept worrying that Lovell's dad was going to hurt Grace and wondering if this was the moment her death would occur. And in those quiet, slower moments, I also had time to think more. Like in the scene where the family was eating dinner, and Lovell's dad fell asleep at the table... that was the moment I wondered if Lovell was supposed to save his dad instead of Grace.

Of course, I also hoped that if Lovell saved his dad, that meant Grace would also be saved, because everything's connected. It broke my heart when I realized she wouldn't be saved, but at the same time I like the honest message that sometimes life isn't fair and doesn't make sense and breaks your heart into many pieces, but life still moves forward and you learn to keep going and keep trying and living. So the movie was both sad AND hope-filled.

Okay, I guess I had more stewing up, ready to be said, than I thought! :D Still, I'd like to think on this film some more, watch it again, and see what comes to mind on a second viewing. I think I have a lot more to say, especially because so much HAPPENED throughout the film, and so many themes and messages came forth, that I know once I've had time to digest it some more, I'll have more to say. I like when a film does that to your mind. :romance-smileyheart:

I'm glad I got to see Shuffle, and I'm really glad I didn't know about it ahead of time. Sharon's right; you really want to view it with a clear, unspoiled head so that you can fully enjoy the ride and be shocked by all the surprises the film has to offer.

And because it should always be said: TJ did a FANTASTIC job throughout this film. I continue to be wonderfully impressed by his talent. :eusa-clap:

I got so swept up in this story and that was largely due to the work TJ did in playing the character. Sometimes when I watch actors whose previous work is a big part of my viewing (as Bones has been), I have trouble separating the previous work from the current film being watched. Not this time, and not ever with TJ. Because he manages to capture your attention and play the role, not play variations of himself in different stories, you know what I mean? He was Lovell, and I so completely believed it, I didn't stop to think that he was behaving like Hodgins (he wasn't) or that at any moment Brennan would come on screen (though I will say that seeing Tamara Taylor and Patricia Belcher on screen with him threw me for a moment). Instead, I got sucked into this marvelously twisty mystery, wondering where it would go next and how the hell Lovell was going to get out of it.

I really, really enjoyed the film.
word count: 1357
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I've been thinking a lot since seeing the film last night.

You know what I especially like about TJ's performance?

How natural it is.

He has such a talent for embodying a character in the most natural way, where you don't feel like you're watching TJ play himself in various roles. Instead, you get exactly what the character is feeling and experiencing. His approach is so genuine and honest. I love that.

Especially when it comes to emotionally charged scenes.

Especially ones played by men. Oftentimes, it seems male actors are afraid to 'go deep' when it comes to emotional scenes involving crying. You watch their performance and you feel removed from it, because it seems like they're holding back. Sometimes that fits the emotionally stunted personality of the character, but sometimes it simply feels obvious that the actor isn't going where he needs to go, you know what I mean? It feels like there's a block, and you're not being let in. Like he's either too afraid to go there or doesn't know how to get there. Same with anger scenes -- they go to a certain place, but it's often overwrought to the point of melodrama or ridiculousness, and you find yourself eye-rolling instead of feeling the fury the character is feeling.

Not with TJ.

In that confrontational scene with Lovell's father, TJ managed to capture all the complex emotions that were understandably roiling through Lovell in that moment: confusion (where the hell were you), realization (you fell asleep again and it cost me everything, how could you do this to me), rage, warring conflict (wanting SO MUCH to hurt his father for what he's done but at the same time it's his father so he can't do it), and the deepest despair. It was all there, and it was deeply felt and expressed.

I never once felt like I was watching TJ "act" in that scene. Instead, everything fit perfectly. I was right there with him, feeling his character's shattered heart and anger, wanting him to hit his father but understanding the pull back and the anguish about it all, and needing the release in some way. What a relief it was when he smashed that windshield! I didn't want him to kill his father, because that would be awful and elevate things to an even worse level than it already was, but at the same time I needed him to release all that bottled-up emotion because it had built to such a tension that it needed to be expressed fully or the scene would have been a letdown.

In lesser hands, that scene wouldn't have worked as well as it did. But TJ went there. He went to the ugly places his character needed to reach in order to express all the emotions needed for that scene. It wasn't just one emotion coursing through Lovell; it was so many things, and TJ expressed them all beautifully. It was a terrifying scene to watch, but it was perfect. TJ was perfect.

The more I thought about it after the film was over, the more impressed with him I felt. He did a fantastic job. And not just in that scene but in all the scenes. The emotions that his character felt, the confusion, the exhaustion, the energy, the love, the loss.... he managed to express it all SO WELL.

Hat's off to TJ. I cannot applaud him hard enough for the work he did throughout this film. He was amazing.
word count: 604
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

stargazer
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by stargazer »

Well said!! :eusa-clap: Shuffle is definitely a movie that will stay with me and I will continue to think about for a while. I'm not near as good with words as Sinkwriter is and I've already posted previously, so I'll just say "ditto". :icon-lol:
word count: 47

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

stargazer563 wrote: I'm not near as good with words as Sinkwriter is and I've already posted previously, so I'll just say "ditto". :icon-lol:
No one here can write as much as Sherry does! :crying-pink: :eusa-whistle:
word count: 35

Ali:)
Fan

Post by Ali:) »

OK I’m not reading any of this as I’m still hopeful Shuffle is released on Australia iTunes. :)
word count: 19