Validation

Discussion about anything and everything that isn't Bones.
saburcat
Fan

Validation

Post by saburcat »

How do you get a hold of short films like this? It sounds really good. I found the Theatre Junkies website the other day, but didn't have too much time on it.

Weez
word count: 34
Imagination is more important than knowledge ~Einstein
But without knowledge, what kind of imagination will you have? ~me

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Validation

Post by begolden »

saburcat wrote:How do you get a hold of short films like this? It sounds really good. I found the Theatre Junkies website the other day, but didn't have too much time on it.

Weez
Yes, I think it would be difficult to find a theater screening the short films. You have to frequent film festivals and the like. Sigh.... too bad for us, eh?
word count: 66
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

San Diego has an International Film Festival every year (this year, it's in September). Among other films, they feature shorts. I checked out their website, but there are no films listed at this time. I've gone to our animated film festival before--lots of fun and very interesting and creative flim shown.
word count: 54
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Following my recent request for fresher news on Theatre Junkies productions, including, hopefully, schedules of when you might get to see them, I'm told that the Theatre Junkies site is going to be rethought and updated to respond to all the interest that people like us have been showing in it. Even if it takes a while. We might get to see onsite some clips of 'Validation' and other productions they have done there. Can't wait! 'Validation' sounds like my sort of film (romantic comedy, black and white - you can tell my parents had too much influence on my early moviegoing!) and it's not likely to be doing the festivals in the UK, so this is my best chance currently. :)
word count: 123
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

A bit of news from Management on this; just to let you know it is still on the back burner!
themanagementteam wrote:Validation, yes, please let them know that TJ's producer partner on the film and the one who wrote and directed it is off at sundance right now (with their short SLOW) and slamdance, with an amazing documentary he made. So getting Validation up on the site is still on the list, but has been pushed back a bit for good reasons. But we are on it, and feel free to continue to remind us!
word count: 97

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Reviving this thread for a very important reason, those of you who were keen to see this excellent short which has won so many awards! A link to it, or to an excerpt of it, is to be made available on the main site as soon as we can manage.

Watch that space and come here to tell us what you think! If you are one of those people (like me - because of being a teacher and all) who believe very strongly that making others feel good about themselves is not just social glue but a major factor in spreading positivity and boosting achievement in the world, this is a film for you. I love it.
word count: 116

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

ThyneAlone wrote:If you are one of those people (like me - because of being a teacher and all) who believe very strongly that making others feel good about themselves is not just social glue but a major factor in spreading positivity and boosting achievement in the world, this is a film for you. I love it.
It sounds wonderful, Steph. And I definitely believe in spreading positivity and remembering to tell people the good and lovely attributes you see in them. It's crucial, and does a world of good. I've seen it when I've expressed it to other people, and I've felt it when it's been expressed to me. It makes you feel like you can accomplish anything. So important, really. :D

At any rate, I'm very curious to see this film. Thanks for letting us know!
word count: 142
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I've added the link on the home page. It should work, but if anyone has a problem, just let me know. We are going to try to actually put the embeded link on there, but I haven't been able to do that yet. The link is to the COMPLETE film, this isn't just a clip.

I've just watched it as well. It is funny, and sweet, and really great. And TJ can do so much without saying a word sometimes, I love his facial expressions.

Sherry, I can't wait to read your thoughts, as I know it'll be interesting to read. :)

Sharon
word count: 108
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, Sharon! I owe you an email response to one of your private PMs. I'll work on that this weekend, I promise.

Speaking of positivity (as Steph was discussing earlier in this thread), thanks so much for the compliment. I appreciate you saying that; it makes me feel very good. *hugs you*

I'm excited to watch the short film! I don't know how interesting my thoughts will be (hee), but I'll definitely try to write about it once I've viewed it from the link. Thank you again for working so hard and making it accessible for us to see! :D
word count: 104
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

WARNING: This post contains spoilers. If you have not yet watched the short film Validation and do not want to know what happens before you view it, do not read the following commentary. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Okay, Sharon, I just watched the film.

I don't know if it's just because I'm in a very vulnerable place in my own life right now, or if it was simply the overall positive message of the film and the way TJ conveyed it, but... I feel like crying.

Just the very thought that you could go somewhere -- even for something as straightforward and emotionless as a parking stamp -- and get validated in a deeper way. I found that very moving.

At first, it seemed surface-y. When he started in on the compliments, I think I felt the way the other characters probably did... with suspicion and general wariness. Like, gimme a break. What's your angle, dude? Why are you saying this? Do you really mean it?

But the more he did it, the more I felt myself warming to the compliments, and to his sincerity about saying such things. And then I found myself pondering the concept of it. Because there have been times in my life when I've tried to be more conscious of myself, the way I see things, the way I word things, and the way I approach the people I encounter in my life, and when I have, I've found nothing really moves people like kindness, or especially, a sincere compliment. Just something simple. Whether they know you personally or not, when they can tell you really mean it, it's like something cascades over them. They smile naturally and whole-heartedly, and sometimes, if you're really paying attention, you can see them walk away feeling better and more positively about themselves. Which is fantastic.

And of course, it's just as amazing and heartening when people give you compliments in return.

There was an element of cheese to the "Smile" song, which reminded me of high school show choir (I mean that in a sentimental way, though). I got a little scared when everyone started dancing for a moment there. I thought, whoa, we're switching gears here; is this a musical now? Will TJ sing? ;)

Seriously though... overall, musically, I really loved the repetition of the clapping/finger snapping throughout the film, and I liked the guy who was doing all the scatting underneath many of the scenes.

(Side question: TJ, can you tell me who that was? I may have missed it, but I didn't see the singer's name in the credits. I thought he had a wonderful voice, very strong and soulfully cheery.)

As if it needs to be said -- but given the point of the film, I really should make a point to say it -- I thought TJ was marvelous.

At first, he seemed a bit disingenuous to me, but I think it was because of what I said in an earlier paragraph, that I was suspicious of his character's motives and therefore he seemed impossible to believe. Too good to be true. Too nice. I couldn't trust him. (Or, I wouldn't allow myself to trust him?)

And for a while, he was so persistent in chasing that young woman, Victoria, that I thought he was pushing it too hard. He just wanted her to smile. But the thing is, he didn't know her personal story, and -- as we later find out -- she had reasons for not being able to smile. Besides, it would have been a false smile (which he would have noticed anyway). If she had forced one out, in an attempt to pacify him and send him on his way, it wouldn't have been a truly joy-filled smile. She wasn't going to give that to him just because that's what he wanted (and she shouldn't have to). And all the 'validation' in the world wasn't going to feed her enough to make her smile, because that's not what she needed. She needed somthing else, and at the time, he had no idea what that was. Maybe in that moment she didn't know what it was, either.

I felt so badly for him when she dismissed him, and when he lost her, and bit by bit, lost everything else of meaning in his life. But in doing so, I felt the tone of the film lost some of the light, winking-at-the-camera, comedic quality, in a good way, and as a result turned even more beautifully sincere. The film's tone and message reached a different level, and I really connected to that.

Also, I think it was something Hugh needed to go through, in order to realize just how important that validation really is. I think at first he found it fun. He enjoyed it, and he enjoyed the effect it had on other people; I do believe that. But in losing it and then finding his way back to it, naturally, on his own, through the photography, which then led him back to Victoria in a lovely and interesting way... I think he then really and truly understood how deeply validation can affect people. And that everyone needs it, including himself.

Gorgeous, heartening message. Terrific film.

And... given my weepy reaction to watching this, I think I especially feel a need for a Hugh Newman in my life right now. *smiles wryly* In fact, I truly believe we all need someone like that in our lives.

Let me start.

Everyone here: You're all wonderful, magnificent, gorgeous people! I adore you, and am so glad to have 'met' you. And I hope you have a brilliant week.

:D
Last edited by Sinkwriter72 on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 969

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

P.S. Funniest line of the whole film: "You paid for parking... for me?"

I laughed so hard. TJ's delivery was priceless. :D
word count: 23

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

One last thing! I really enjoyed the use of the parking ticket being stamped (or later, the DMV and passport photos flashing and being processed) as a tiny vehicle to put emphasis on scenes throughout the film, moving things along, and I liked its use as well in the credits at the end. That was fun. Loved it.

GREAT job all around, Kurt Kuenne, TJ, and the rest of the cast and crew! It was a positive idea and a clever way to present the message. I applaud you all for your efforts.

*standing O*

:mrgreen:

And a big thank you for making this available for us to see. I'm very glad I got the chance to watch it. This one's going to stick with me, most definitely.
word count: 129

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Yay Sherry! I knew you wouldn't disappoint me! I'm really not an analyzer, so I love love love reading thoughts from people who are good at it. I hope TJ will come here and read your post. Not sure if he has time for that but...he should read it. :D

I really liked the film, but I also thought at first, that TJ's character would have scared me. He was just tooo something. Just like you said. But maybe that was the point. He went around validating people, but was not validated himself, even by what he felt when he made them feel better. As the film went on he became more real, I think that was on purpose.

My favorite part was actually kind of a sad part, but its because as I said before, TJ can do so much without saying a word. It was the part when he's going into the photo place to get the film processed and he sees the DMV. All the emotions there were just perfect.

Oh, I did also love, "You paid for parking, for me?"

And Sherry, you are also a wonderful, brilliant person. I've been waiting all weekend to read what you said about Validation. :D You make me think. I like that!

Sharon
word count: 218
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Garghhh. My aunt's computer is starting to freeze up, which is irritating me, so I think I'm going to have to log off and come back, to comment more fully to your reply, Sharon.

But before I do, let me just say this: you may not feel like an analyzer, but you've definitely got the goods, sister. ;) I thought your points were wonderfully stated and smart. I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

And thank you very much for the compliments. I appreciate them very much. *hugs*

:D
word count: 92

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

It's been a full 24 hours and I can't seem to get that "Smile" song out of my head!

*shakes fist (in jest) at whoever wrote it*

:lol:
word count: 29

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Well I had, until I came here and read your note, then it popped right back into my head! :roll: :shock:
word count: 19

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

hee heee heeeeee :twisted:

Sorry, Sharon. :D

Have a FANTASTIC day, everyone! And to those here in the States, ROCK THE VOTE, BABY!!! ;)
word count: 21

Jude40
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by Jude40 »

OMG how feelgood is this short. I love the surprised people at first at the fact someone is complimenting them, there's way too little of that in life.
It really sits well with my theory on life that a smile and a laugh is worth way more than material stuff, mind you it kinda has to be when you're on my salary!
If I feel fed up at all in the future I know where to click. Oh, and as well as being brill as usual, TJ was adorable from the 'need a hug' look when he was sad to the deliverer of smiles.
Absolutely loved it thanks for link.

Jude x
word count: 114

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I too think this is an astonishing piece of work from all involved with it. As with It's A Wonderful Life, it's intensely feelgood, but its subject matter could be conceived as banal and saccharine, especially with the song we are all getting stuck with (personally I think that is a nice bit of post-modern irony which widens our view and persuades us to look at the central idea rather than the happy-ever-after) and yet the little masterpiece succeeds in conjuring up genuine emotion. It has pinpointed something we all relate to. It is a part of the human condition to need approval and validation. To know that we contribute something to the lives of others and that we can do something of value for ourselves and them. Mutual respect and a little bit of empathy is all it takes. If you know it gives you a real boost when someone notices a task you have undertaken or even compliments you when you have coloured your hair, then why not pass it on? You might think this is a superficial and sterile exercise designed to promote yourself and geared to your advantage by getting others on your side, but somehow the more you do it (and have it returned), the more honest and life-enhancing it becomes.

It's not just the concept of course. TJ convinces completely as someone who truly wants to enhance others' lives. There's so little of that around outside the confining sphere of religion that it is astonishing to see it conveyed with such skill and energy. He is of course supported excellently by his co-stars and by the very feel of the piece. Just look at the lighting and staging. The darkness, surreal Expressionist angles and claustrophobia of the car park, with TJ's little window a shining beacon. The escape out into the light and the open, and the return to the darkness when things go wrong. It's exquisite and lovingly done. Even entranced the rest of my family. And of course, unlike It's A Wonderful Life - more like a puppy - it's forever and not just for Christmas!
word count: 365

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Steph, I think It's a Wonderful Life is forever and anytime as well. I think the fact that its around Christmas makes it stuck into the Christmas world. But its not really about Christmas. Anyway, thats just me because I absolutely LOVE Frank Capra movies, and anything with James Stewart. I loved that they had It's a Wonderful Life on the marquee in Validation as well.

Sharon
word count: 69