Bones 2.09 Aliens In A Spaceship

Discussion of TJ's most popular venture to date!
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Bones 2.09 Aliens In A Spaceship

Post by skftex »

Ok, I was told I should open a new thread for this so here it is! I watched Aliens in a Spaceship last night and I have to agree that it is definitely one of the best episodes, at least of those I have seen so far.

I'm not very good at really analyzing shows, and I know there are those out there that can say things so much better so I hope after I write my few thoughts here that others will come and tell me what they think about this episode.

What I thought was the best part of the episode was Bones and Jack in the car. They had to use so many close ups to make it feel like it was restricted, and sometimes close ups don't always express what an actor was supposed to be portraying but in this case it really worked. The emotions and fear and hope all came across really well I think.

I loved the scene where Jack told Bones he's in love with Angela, not that we didn't know it but I really liked that he wanted to say it and HOW he said it. I also liked the hug between Jack and Bones before they set off the explosion. If I ever get buried alive I hope its with these two :wink:

Bones talking about God always makes me laugh, she's so honest and yet the way she feels that the dead deserve to be heard makes me believe she can't really not believe in something.

TJ did a really good job with the scene about not being able to go to sleep because he didn't know what he'd see when he woke up. I think that was probably my favorite scene of the whole show. Then Angela telling him he'd see her was just perfect. :mrgreen:

And then one of the few things that bugged me, Cam wanting to go to New York with Booth for the weekend. While I know that Bones and Jack hadn't been taken yet, still they were working on finding a guy that buries people alive and lets them die if he doesn't receive a ransom and she's calmly sitting there and wanting to go away? Surely there is a better time for that, because the show does lead you to believe that these dead bodies aren't popping up daily and the people at the Jeffersonian do work other than murder cases. As I said in another thread though, I haven't quite warmed to Cam and maybe that is the reason it bugged me.

Well thats all I can think of to say for now. I know there is better insight out there so hopefully I'll get to read some of it! :)

Sharon
Last edited by skftex on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 473
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I just wanted to let you know that I'm not ignoring your wonderful post, Sharon. I simply want to rewatch the episode before I feel ready to comment fully. Talk with you soon! :D
word count: 34
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

that was a nice review sharon! I'm not a big reviewer myself and most of the time I have some difficulties in ordering the thoughts in my head and putting them on words here. But this episode is so exciting and the first time I saw it it got my nerves wracked so I should give it a try.

Particularly I loved how Booth reacted to the whole situation, but he was a little bit too agresive on the squints. I mean, I know he was worried about brennan and everything but poor Hodgins! He almost forgot him!!! And I liked that Angela was more ... calmed and relied on Zack when they got the text message. She could have been all nervous and yelled at Cam when she was all about the investigation, but instead she was concerned obviously but more reasonable than Booth.

The underground scenes where all fantastic and it was remarkable the hug between brennan and hodgins when they were about to make the explotion, as you said. TJ did a great job during the whole episode and the feelings of Hodgins at all times where so clear, I loved the part when they took air from the tire and then he realized that he could "pull thin air out of thin air" or sth like that, and he started laughing, it was soo nice, he was so happy, at least for that second.

I think I have nothing else to add.
word count: 246
~ s o f i

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sherry, no problem. I can wait, though I am interested in reading what you have to say. :)

soflips, I forgot about making thin air out of thin air! That was funny too. Thanks for adding your comments. :)

Sharon
word count: 38
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Love this episode! TJ is so great in it! I know that Bones is mostly about B&B but I think TJ proved in this ep. that he can do more than talk about bugs and slime. Really impressive! 8) :!:
word count: 39
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Post by KimberHodgela »

Oh, Aliens in a Spaceship ... that's got to be one of my favourite (if not my most favourite) episode of the entire series. The acting is brilliant, the story is fast paced and seems to grab you and then refuse to let go, and of course ... it puts two of our favourite Squints in danger!!

I just did a rewatch of the episode myself, and posted a huge picspam review of sorts on my LiveJournal site (if anybody has LiveJournal and hasn't friended me yet, you're welcome to over here: http://kimberkatie.livejournal.com.

This episode was made fantastic in large part to TJ, and the wonderful way he portrays Jack Hodgins. He and Emily doing all of those scenes in that cramped SUV must have been very taxing ... but they are the scenes I think I love the most. When Jack confesses to Brennan that he's rich, and he bought the expensive perfume for Angela because he's "over the moon, stupid in love with her" ... that scene breaks my heart every single time. To know that he's thinking not of the money he spent on the perfume, but on the fact that he loves Angela so much and wants to be with her, yet was shot down after their date ... and also knowing that he may never make it out of the SUV to tell her this - truly heartbreaking.

There are great moments of bonding between Jack and Brennan, too, and also some humour when Brennan suggests that her idea to blow out the dash may turn their brains into jelly, and Jack tells her that then they could run for Congress, so it would be a win-win situation. The other cast do a magnificent job themselves, back at the Jeffersonian not knowing the fate of their fallen Squints. I even liked Booth in this episode (sometimes he's not my favourite character) because it's he who coordinates the Squints into figuring out the riddle. The scene where Cam and Angela are discussing Jack's book of notes, and what it means - when Angela tells Cam that they don't need time, they needs lots and lots of money ... that's another scene that literally rips out my heart, throws it to the ground, and stomps all over it.

And last but certainly not least ... the rescue and the scene following ... which round out this episode very nicely. Angela's planting a kiss on Jack's lips when she pulls him from the gravel is just ... divine. And then their conversation where Jack admits that he can't sleep because the Gravedigger is 'out there' and he needs to solve the case so he can't bury anyone else alive .... the emotion TJ conveys in this scene is just absolutely stunning, and it always makes the breath catch in my throat - no matter how many times I've seen it.

Phew! I do have a lot to say about this particular episode, and I always tell people that it's one of the few episodes of a series that I think I could watch over, and over, and over again and STILL not be bored of it. It is that amazing.
word count: 540
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Wow, Kimber! I wish I could express my feelings about this episode like you did! But it always takes so long to find the right words in English!
I just can´t tell you how often I watched this ep.! And like you I could watch it over and over again.
word count: 51
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

KimberHodgela
Super Fan

Re: Aliens in a Spaceship Ep 2.09

Post by KimberHodgela »

Thank, TJ4ever! I don't usually express my feelings for the episode so well! I find that because I love it so much I tend to ramble on, and my thoughts jump from place to place!! But it truly is an amazing episode, and I think one we could probably all watch over and over again.
word count: 56
Dude, what you call being a conspiracy theorist I call being well informed - Dr. Jack Hodgins

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Sharon, I send huge apologies for not posting my thoughts re: this episode yet. During the holidays it was just too difficult to find time to rewatch it, much less type up coherent thoughts.

I was able to sit down a couple days ago and watch about a third of it; I got inspired by what was happening on screen and ended up pausing the show in order to type up what was occurring to me as I watched... but then the commentary kept going and going, and I'm still not through with the whole episode! I'm writing thoughts not just about TJ's performance (about which I could go on and on, as any of us probably could, I surmise), but also about the overall episode and the others' performances. It's all simply too good to skip over. At this point, I think my commentary is going to be too long to post in this thread. ;)

What I may have to do is finish watching it, type up the rest of my commentary, give it a good edit, and then post it to my LiveJournal -- that way I can put the length of it under a 'cut' so people can read the full commentary if they're interested, or skip it if they're not.

No matter what, I'll make sure to mention it here, maybe even link to it if it's okay with the mods, so you can go take a look, if you're still interested.

Or, if someone's got other ideas, let me know. I just don't think I should post it here at this point, because it's way too long. I'm already one of the main lengthy-post troublemakers (er... contributors? *blinks as innocently as possible*). I don't want to get kicked out for clogging the thread pages! :D Unless Ben the Admin can tell me if I can put commentary under a cut here on the TJ Forums? Then, I'd feel more comfortable posting my thoughts re: this episode here.
word count: 346

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Not an LJ user. What's a cut?
word count: 8
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

You've visited my LiveJournal site, right, Steph? (And thank you again for your very kind email, by the way.) Well, you know how on a couple of my posts on my LJ I've written a few opening paragraphs, and then a link to click on in order to access the rest of my post? For example, the one I wrote on Dec. 16, I have three small paragraphs, and then it says "More thoughts within." And you click on the "More Thoughts Within" in order to read the rest? Same with my New Year's entry, except I changed the link wording to "Take a sleigh ride with me" (in order to fit it with what I was discussing in that post).

That link is considered an "LJ-cut" -- your entire post is essentially still there on the page, but hidden, so lengthy posts can be tucked away and you don't clog up your friends' 'friend page' or your own journal page and people don't have to scroll through screens and screens of text in order to browse your journal entries. Then all the reader has to do is click on the 'cut' link in order to read the rest of your piece. Make sense? :D

I'm not sure if that's something specific to LiveJournal, or if there's an HTML or other process code that would allow it to be used here. I'm still learning the various codes, so I can't say for sure.
word count: 252

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Scrolling has never bothered me at all. This is because on the other site I moderate and on tv.com the possibility does not exist (there is something like it on the fox.com/bones boards though). I actually enjoy seeing a nice long post to read and don't view it as 'clutter'. I have real nostalgia for the ep review sessions we used to have on tv.com, and they were really long (we tended to write critiques of essay length!). I have a feeling, however, that I may be in a minority.

You are going to find this last bit a little weird.

If I am in a hurry and see a post truncated by what I now learn is a cut ( :idea: ), I sometimes lose interest and don't look further :oops: . The eye of the practised quick reader who, for a living, often skims for sense instead of style takes me to the apparent end and then sweeps me off elsewhere. I'm much more likely to read it all if it's all there. Strange, huh? Obviously I have read all yours because I know they're well worth a thorough look, but I still find it off-putting when they disappear.

OK. I know we are going to get more comments on this, can I ask that we move them to the Site Issues thread in Talk TJ so we don't go too offtopic in a Bones thread? I'll copy this post there if needed. Thanks!
word count: 253
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Sherry, thats fine, I haven't had a lot of time to even check in here so no problem that you didn't post yet. But I don't care if it is long, I think you should post it here!

Sharon
word count: 43

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I've been in Madison all week, helping out my sister-in-law (because she had a cesarean surgery a couple weeks ago and is still healing), so I haven't had time to finish watching it or write anything. I've been cleaning and cooking and taking care of Jean and the baby while my brother's at work. Whew! I'm exhausted! :D But my brother's off after tomorrow and my mom's coming next week to help out, so Jean's kicking me out tomorrow, LOL. Which means I can head home, do a ton of laundry, and finish what I started with my commentary re: this episode!

Thanks for wanting to read what I have to say, Sharon. You are being very nice... I hope what I write is even remotely worth it, at this point. ;)

Hope you're all having a great week! Talk with you soon.
word count: 152

CROactive
Fan

Post by CROactive »

Oh... my... God! Yesterday evening I saw the burried car episode on a Slovenian channel, as I missed it on our own, and now I just cannot stop thinking about it.

I am a cynic when it comes to love issues - I guess my experiences made me such. But, when I think about love and romance - this is exactly how I imagine it. This is exactly how I would love someone if that someone would let me and would return that kind of love and devotion to me. To have a man who loves you like that..... uh, it's just killing me.

How can you act out such scenes??? I guess you must completely lose yourself. It could be that it is much easier to act it out than to admit such feelings when they are real.

Everyone's too concerned about their dignity - we do not want to look weak or stupid, to be made fun of. This is why we hide our feelings. Well, we Croatians do it, unfortunately.

Anyway, those were so beautiful moments TJ. Thank you for them.
word count: 183
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members" Groucho Marx

missbee193
Fan

Re: Bones 2.09 Aliens In A Spaceship

Post by missbee193 »

This is possibly my favourite ever episode of Bones!! TJ is amazing in it! It's no surprise how good it was - Janet Tamaro is fantastic and her writing was just incredible with this ep.

I love that during 9x06 at Booth and Brennan's wedding they included a little flashback to the episode, by saying what Brennan wrote on the piece of paper and also that Hodgins wrote about Angela.

Like one of the interviewers over at the Castle, Bones and Rizzoli & Isles site said in their interview with TJ today - the ep should've been nominated for Emmys! I loved the interaction between Hodgins and Brennan. Even TJ said in the same interview that he hopes there is more interaction with the two of them like there was in 2x09.
word count: 132
Hodgins (to Brennan): What you have is faith, baby. (Brennan laughs) Sorry, the "baby" thing is a reflex...

HanaTheAwesomeOne
Fan

Post by HanaTheAwesomeOne »

I Agree this is My Fav ep ever of Bones! I think this is the ep where I actually fell in love with Bones like I've been watching since I was 13 (from the Beginning) with my Mum but I didn't LOVE it untill this ep! And I became intrigued with both Emily&TJ. Their acting in this is top notch, its like you were stuck in that car with them. They defo deserved an Emmy for this!

I LOVE the scenes where Hodgins and Brennan are interacting (Maybe because TJ&Emily are My Favs ;) haha) but idk they jell well together&they have this diff kinda Chemistry lol. They need more scenes together :smile:

Yeah the writing was Amazing, they need to bring that person back :smile:

word count: 128

emi13
Fan

Post by emi13 »

Great review! I would have to say one of my favorite scenes from this episode was when Hodgins told
Brennan that he loved Angela. It was so cute and sentimental. This is still one of my favorites!
word count: 37
Dr. Jack Hodgins: Up and forward are only two directions. Science should look in all directions.