Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Buenos Aires ... wow, how fascinating!

Hi, Sofi. It's terrific to have you here. One of the things I often marvel about is how there are so many places throughout the world I have yet to have the pleasure of visiting, but here on the internet I can meet people from just about everywhere. It's fantastic.

I clicked on your forum and tried to check out the Spanish portion of the site, but I'm afraid my knowledge of the language is minimal. Still, I could make out some of the words and it was fun to see all the pictures and the way you have it all set up. And of course I clicked on some of the English threads so I could get a better idea of what's all on the site. You're doing a great job! :D I especially love the pictures you chose.

My name is Sherry (also known as Sinkwriter72 here). I have sites on LiveJournal and myspace as well, so I'd be happy to 'friend' you, if that's okay.
okey now I'm off, i think I wrote a little bit TOO much.
*clears throat, smiling* I cannot say a word about that, because as I'm sure you'll find (and most here could tell you), I tend to get more than a little bit wordy here myself. In fact, if you don't want to read about the 'saga' that was my horrid job, feel free to skip over my posts throughout this thread; they're probably a big reason why this thread has gotten so long. Thankfully, the job is over now. I just have to find a new one. And this thread has moved on to new and better topics. ;)

Additional note: We've got two wonderful new moderators for this site, whom you'll meet soon -- ThyneAlone and begolden. They'll help you with anything you need, if you have any questions or concerns. And I think you'll find we're all a friendly bunch here so settle in and check out all the fun conversations going on.

Congratulations on your graduation from high school, and welcome to tjthyne.com! Hope to see your posts around the various threads.
word count: 375

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

And of course I clicked on some of the English threads so I could get a better idea of what's all on the site. You're doing a great job! I especially love the pictures you chose.
Thanks Sherry! I'm glad you liked the pictures, all of the images/banners/etc that are on the forum are made by me. And thanks for the warm welcome! I'm already finding it friendly. :D

And I promise that as soon as I can I will read every comment on this threat and I'll catch up with your job issue hehe :P It's good to hear that now id over. I don't mind if you friend me, that's exactly why I left the links ;)
word count: 126
~ s o f i

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

And I promise that as soon as I can I will read every comment on this threat and I'll catch up with your job issue hehe
Oh good god, you poor girl. ;) I had more than a couple of rants about it. Allow me to apologize in advance. At least once a week I cringe and think about deleting those posts, so the wonderful readers of this thread don't have to put up with it or wade through it. I really should learn to be quiet sometimes.
I don't mind if you friend me, that's exactly why I left the links
I clicked on both your sites, so if you see a new friend Sherry on myspace or Sinkwriter on LiveJournal, that's me. :D

By the way, I like your myspace tagline -- "The journey is more important than the end or the start." That's a lovely thought, and definitely something I am learning more and more.

See you around the forums!
word count: 166

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

I clicked on both your sites, so if you see a new friend Sherry on myspace or Sinkwriter on LiveJournal, that's me.
both accepted ;)
By the way, I like your myspace tagline -- "The journey is more important than the end or the start."
It's a quote from one of linkin park's songs...I adopted it since I first heard it.
word count: 63
~ s o f i

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

I´m Back! ;)

Post by TJ4ever »

Well here I am again! Back from London! Really missed this site and myspace, too!
London was great, as always! Somehow I need to go there at least once a year! It is kind of an escape for me! Love the theatre there. So much choice! This time I saw OTHELLO and SWIMMING WITH SHARKS! Both very good! Great acting! Othello was a bit difficult to understand for me, but it was ok. Well, the rest of the time I went shopping and relaxed a bit and enjoyed all the Christmas lights and decoration all over the city. Sometimes very beautyful, sometimes a bit to much (see the pictures on my myspace site). In German I would call it "kitschig".
Well, I still have a few free days. Got to go to work again on Tuesday. But only for 4 days. Then I have free days until next year. Return to work on January 2nd.
Anyway I gotta run, because today is our Christmas-Party from work! Need to dress, now! Will take a while! ;)
Till soon! Simone
Last edited by TJ4ever on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 178
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi, Simone, how was the party? Good to hear from you again. London sounds like it was great. You are so brave going to see Othello, there are loads of English people who have problems with the language in it!

Unfortunately kitsch is becoming a major element of Christmas decorations here. Makes me sound like an old Scrooge I know, but some of what people do on the outside of their houses is not only tasteless and over the top, it even distracts drivers dangerously. And flashes a lot too. People don't think about the trouble flashing decorations can cause. I moderate an epilepsy support website, having very slight epilepsy myself (never stopped me doing anything except driving). I am lucky not to suffer from photosensitivity, but a lot of my site friends do and have to be careful at this time of year or they can be caused to have seizures.

Oops, went madly offtopic there, sorry! My own little soapbox..

I haven't had time to buy presents and get decorations up; I break up next Tuesday and will be doing everything next week. Even now, school is still fantastically busy. Have you done anything for Christmas yet?

As a matter of fact, if anyone can spare a moment here, I would love to hear about what you do at Christmas, whether you have family or State or national traditions. Also, I am sure we have members out there who are not Christians and maybe celebrate other special days around this time. I'd love to know.
word count: 260
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Thanks Steph! The party was great! First I didn´t want to go, because I was still on vacation. I didn´t feel like seeing all my colleagues. But in the past the Christmas-Parties from work were always great and I already said I would come. And it was so much fun! We did a short cruise on the river Weser (so no one could escape early ;) ) with the ship "Hanseat". They ordered a wonderful Italian buffet. Tasted great! After dinner we played Sing Star and got a little present. We also had a DJ, so the rest of the night we were dancing. And of course I had to tell my colleagues about my London trip. Really a great party!

Yeah, OTHELLO was difficult to understand. I wanted to watch it, because Ewan McGregor plays Iago in it. He was amazing!!! :!: One of my favourite actors. So great to see him live on stage, again! Saw him a few years ago in the musical "Guys And Dolls". He is fantastic and such a nice guy! :)

I haven´t decorated my place, yet. And I think I won´t do it this year. I always worked late and then had to plan my vacation. And as we all spend Christmas Eve with my parents and Christmas Day at my sisters house I don´t think it is necessary to decorate my place so much. Boxing Day we will go to a restaurant all together. At Christmas Eve we all go to church. When we are back home we´ll have dinner and then we open the presents. When we were kids my sister and I played Christmas songs with our flute and we sang them all together, too. But we don´t do that anymore. Now we listen to Christmas songs from a CD and sometimes we sing along. It is nice, too. So for me Christmas is always a family thing.

Would be interesting to hear how you all spend Christmas this year.

Simone
word count: 336

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Great idea about sharing Christmas traditions, Simone. It sounds like you and your family usually have a wonderful Christmas together.

Most of my family lives in San Diego, so our rather large clan gathers at my parents' house for Christmas day and dinner. Mom cooks the turkey with stuffing and makes the best giblet gravy, and of course there are mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, yams, and green beans--all very American traditional. We finish dinner with pumpkin pie (my personal favorite) or pecan pie. Since there are so many of us, we have a "gift exchange." Everyone who wants to participate brings a gift suitable for someone of the same gender, and then we pick a number out of a hat. Number one goes first and chooses an unmarked gift and opens it. The person with number two has the option of "stealing" that gift, or choosing a new one. It can get pretty wild when a popular gift gets stolen several times!

The best part of Christmas for me is that my sister Sharon and nephew Cedar are flying out from Arizona next Friday and will be staying with me. They will be here until the day after Christmas. I will get her to register on this site while she's here so she can finally participate!
word count: 218
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Rebecca, did you have a wonderful birthday yesterday? I hope it was relaxing and divine. :D

PS. to Steph -- let me get back to you on that holiday-themed question. I need to ponder my response a bit more. ;)
word count: 38

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

["begolden"]Great idea about sharing Christmas traditions, Simone. It sounds like you and your family usually have a wonderful Christmas together.
Actually Steph came up with the idea. I just picked it up. Yeah, Christmas is always nice. Very sad that my grandmother and my aunt are not with us anymore.
Simone
word count: 52

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

What are you doing New year´s Eve?

Post by TJ4ever »

What are you all doing New Year´s Eve? A friend just cancelled our plans so I still don´t know what to do. I am just curious and maybe I will have an idea what else I could do. Guess I have to do some phonecalls tomorrow! I still have the option to spend it with my parents, what I will do if I don´t come up with another plan. Hope my mom does not want to watch "Silvesterstadl"! :wink:
Simone
Last edited by TJ4ever on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 82

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I actually haven't decided what I'm going to do this year. Every year I do something different, it seems.

I'm not a huge drinker -- no moral or religious objection to it, I just can't seem to enjoy the taste; it's got to be sweet or involving ice cream or fruit juice, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well just skip the alcohol and have the ice cream or fruit juice, you know? *GRIN* Nor am I a wild gal when it comes to parties. I prefer smaller groups so I can actually connect with people, and focus my attention.

Sometimes I go to a friend's party -- he and his wife have a gathering every year, and it usually has a 'theme' of some sort (different every time, obviously). They're always a riot, and I get to catch up with Ren Faire and theatre friends I haven't seen in a long time.

Sometimes I drive over to my grandmother's -- she lives with two of my aunts, and every year they hang out together, play board games and card games, and gorge themselves silly on root beer floats, junk food, and whatever they're in the mood for. It's quite fun, actually.

Sometimes I hang out with dear friends, nothing major, no huge partying, just good friends spending time together, watching movies, eating yummy food, talking, having great laughs.

And occasionally I'll spend it on my own. (*gasp* :shock: Oh, the horror! LOL.) I'll go to the video store, grab three or four films I've been meaning to see but never had the time for all year, get some take-out and some good munchies, and spend the evening watching movies, listening to music, and relaxing. Usually on that kind of evening I find myself more contemplative, so right before midnight I'll end up writing something in my journal, kind of assessing the year, how I'm feeling, what I want to accomplish better in the new year, and what I'm happy about and grateful for in my life.

All good options, really. :D

Simone, you gotta tell me. What's "Silvesterstad"? ;)
word count: 368

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hi guys! Can't stop, I am trying frantically to navigate round and examine those new powers I have just received. But have now finished school so will be able soon to tell you how I spend these times of year.

Just thought I'd come in on Silvester - now that is German New Year celebrations. So Simone are you referring to one of those slightly corny New Year television programmes?
:roll:
word count: 71

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi guys! Can't stop, I am trying frantically to navigate round and examine those new powers I have just received.
I have to say, that sounds so hilarious, Steph. Like you're a superhero! "I must examine these new powers..." hee heeeee Definitely! You wouldn't want to accidentally knock out all the power throughout the next block, or end up with spiderwebs all over your upholstery. Do you get to have a golden lasso or some kick-ass leather boots? ;) Because that, my friend, would be cooool.

Are you going to keep your status or will they change it from 'Super Fan' to 'Super Mod'? I'm kind of dying to see if anything changes when you hit 500 posts. I'm nowhere near that, but you're getting close!
But have now finished school so will be able soon to tell you how I spend these times of year.
Congratulations! You may now relax. :D Looking forward to hearing more about your holiday traditions. I've still got to get around to writing something about that here (though I did start musing, and by jotting down a brief story in my LiveJournal).

Have fun playing around the site!
word count: 200

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I don't do much for New Year's anymore, except its my mother's birthday on Dec. 31st so always do something for that. I used to go out with a large group of friends, but as they got married and had kids that definitely changes things. Besides the fact that I live thousands of miles from them all now. :? I'm not much of a drinker either-same reason, I don't like the taste of it! So I was almost always the designated driver which was fine with me!

Anyway, we'll probably just have a small celebration for my mothers birthday and then I'll just watch TV later. I like being by myself and don't care for crowds so its not as sad as people think it sounds. :mrgreen:

Sharon
word count: 135
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Okay, pardon the subject change for just a moment, I simply have to gush with pride. I was talking to my sister on the phone tonight, trying to finalize family plans for the holidays, and apparently my little four-year-old nephew was not in bed yet. She said as soon as he heard that she was talking to me, he came over to her and gave the phone a kiss and a hug. For me. Aw man, I am melting. My heart...

And when my brother-in-law was taking him away to bed, my nephew came by one last time to yell "Byyyyyye!" into the phone and to give the phone a bunch more kisses. My sister laughed but she said it was odd because he has never kissed the phone before, so apparently I rate big. Heeee.

Yes! My status as the 'cool aunt' prevails!

Now I just have to shore up all my energy for the holidays, because he is a BALL of activity and "Sherry, come here, come sit here, will you do this, now how about this, can we play this, can we do this, Sherrysherrysherrysherrysherry..." *GRIN* I love it, he cracks me UP, but I don't know how my sister does it. He's exhausting! LOL
word count: 214

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:
Simone, you gotta tell me. What's "Silvesterstad"? ;)
Well, Sherry, it is the New Year´s Eve version of "Musikantenstadl". A TV music show in which they play "Volksmusik". I don´t know how to translate this in English. Maybe "German Folk Music"? Or do you use the word "Volksmusik", too? I consider myself as a tolerant person, but to hear this kind of music from 8 pm until midnight is really annoying. It is not my kind of music, but my mom likes it. I guess/hope :) we will find a crompromise. My other friends are on vacation, or spend it with their family and other married couples with children (like you said it, Sharon) or want to go to a big party. I don´t fell like spending New Year´s Eve with hundrets of strangers - most of them drunk! I don´t like to drink alcohol very much, either so this is really not fun for me. I guess I will spend a few hours at my parents and have dinner there and then I go home and spend the rest of the night on my (real ;) ) sofa watching DVD´s. I´ll let you know where I ended up! :)
Simone
word count: 206

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Volksmusik isn't used here in that form but we'd call it folk music. :) Now Simone, what is Musikantenstadl! LOL Just kidding, I can look it up. It is some sort of music tv show I guess?

Guess a lot of us are just going to stay home on New Year's Eve!

Sherry, loved story about your nephew! So cute!

I'm going to add a nephew story as well. My sister e-mailed a copy of my nephew's letter to Santa (he's eight-lol originally used the number eight and got this 8) ) and in a way its sad, and in a way pretty cool. His class all wrote letters to Santa, and in his he didn't ask for anything for himself, just wrote that he hopes Santa is ok and that he can make his Dad in Afghanistan happy and all the others there happy as well. His Dad just left in October so has a while to go before he returns, this after spending 2006 in Iraq. So its nice he was thinking of those over there rather than what toys he wanted but in a way sad too that an 8 year old has that to worry about.

Sharon
word count: 207
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

TJ4ever wrote:Well, Sherry, it is the New Year´s Eve version of "Musikantenstadl". A TV music show in which they play "Volksmusik".
Aha, that's what I thought. That'd be the equivalent of those Scottish Hogmanay shows so beloved of our parents. Irritating at times!

These are such lovely family stories. None of my siblings live near enough for me to be close to any of my six nieces and nephews. And most of them are pretty much mid to late teens, so I've missed the more moving honesties and pride that go with that. Make the most of the experience while you can, guys.

I've had some interesting New Year's Eve times. As a teenager I was once in on my own (rest of family having popped in to a neighbour's party that I didn't feel like attending - d'you know I think some of us would be considered 'boring' by our friends?) when sister's boyfriend visited unexpectedly as a surprise and found her absent, surmised correctly that she was out with the Other Boyfriend, and promptly cried all over my shoulder all evening. Talk about depressing. And then there was the face off when they arrived back. Aarghh!

On big occasions like Christmas and New Year my family used to go loco. They are all seasoned drinkers and seeing them all on a holiday high and together was ... well, scary at times. A kind of mass hysteria which inevitably resulted in a fracas at some stage. Once my brothers wrecked the Christmas tree in the hall by having a stand-up fist fight. :roll: Needless to say, my own family makes both occasions private get togethers. Just before the stroke of New Year hubby goes outside and at midnight knocks on the door and does the traditional 'first footing', which is to say, walks straight through the house without being addressed by anyone, as the first New Year visitor, carrying a lump of coal, a hunk of bread and a piece of silver. For good luck in the New Year - food, warmth, prosperity. Then we go out and watch the fireworks at a distance and listen to all the boats on the Mersey sounding their horns.. It's personal and magical.
word count: 380

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thanks for the information, Simone! I too would have guessed (from very limited experience with German -- only through songs) that it meant folk music. Yes, I'm sure we could probably all name something our parents did (or still do, ha) to 'torture' us. Maybe you'll gain a sentimental appreciation for it later down the road. ;)

And thank you for your nephew story, Sharon. Just goes to show ... there's always perspective to be found if you stop and pay attention. And when it comes from an eight-year-old, that's something big. *shakes head, marveling* I hope your brother-in-law returns home safe and sound as soon as possible.
These are such lovely family stories... Make the most of the experience while you can, guys.
Aw, man... I give! I've been struggling to decide whether to take a three-hour trip today to Green Bay for the weekend, to spend it with my parents and my sister and her husband and their kids (my brother and his wife would be there too but she's about to have a baby any day now!). Everything sounds enticing. My dad wants to bring my nephew and niece to see all the holiday lights at this particular botanical garden just outside of town, because he thinks they'll get a kick out of it. And my mom wants to have all of us make Christmas cookies together (thought it would be fun for the kids). I know I'd have a great time with everyone, especially since I haven't had the chance to see those kids in a while. But I've been waffling because they'll be coming to town to stay at my grandmother's house next week for the holiday, and I feel like I've been fighting off an incoming cold (I've woken up with one of those stuffy-head headaches every day this week yet managed to keep it from turning into something worse, for now, but I definitely feel like it's waiting for me to let my guard down so it can pounce). I thought I should stay home this weekend, to avoid running myself ragged and getting sick for the holiday, and just see them all next week. But now your words make me think I should just go for it, go anyway, have some fun, and simply deal with it if I do happen to catch a cold. Like you said, how often am I going to have the opportunity to have these moments with them?
I've had some interesting New Year's Eve times. As a teenager I was once in on my own... when sister's boyfriend visited unexpectedly as a surprise and found her absent, surmised correctly that she was out with the Other Boyfriend, and promptly cried all over my shoulder all evening. Talk about depressing. And then there was the face off when they arrived back. Aarghh!
Oh no, that's awful!
On big occasions like Christmas and New Year my family used to go loco. They are all seasoned drinkers and seeing them all on a holiday high and together was ... well, scary at times. A kind of mass hysteria which inevitably resulted in a fracas at some stage. Once my brothers wrecked the Christmas tree in the hall by having a stand-up fist fight.
Oh my gosh, Steph! That's unimaginable to me. I mean, my mom's brothers will drink beer, and I can recall as a kid sometimes they got obnoxious and mouthy, but nothing to that extent. :( I'm so sorry you had to go through that -- it does not sound pleasant.
Needless to say, my own family makes both occasions private get togethers. Just before the stroke of New Year hubby goes outside and at midnight knocks on the door and does the traditional 'first footing', which is to say, walks straight through the house without being addressed by anyone, as the first New Year visitor, carrying a lump of coal, a hunk of bread and a piece of silver. For good luck in the New Year - food, warmth, prosperity. Then we go out and watch the fireworks at a distance and listen to all the boats on the Mersey sounding their horns.. It's personal and magical.
It sounds wonderful! What beautiful traditions. My heart's feeling all warm and smooshy now. :D

My family traditions? Well, like I mentioned in a previous post I memorialized one tradition my family used to have on my livejournal, but I won't repeat it here (for sake of trying not to be so wordy -- if you're interested in reading it, Steph listed my livejournal link in the Links thread, I think).

At present, every year is different now because my sister and brother are both married and thus have obligations outside of our immediate family now. But when we do all get together, there's usually a yummy feast of some sort (and though she won't admit it, my mom is a fantastic cook), we exchange gifts, and after my nephew and niece are put to bed, we usually end up playing board games, or card games like Hearts or Dirty Eights. These games always end up involving lots of taunting and trash talking, which can get pretty funny. When we go to my grandmother's, it's pretty much the same deal. Lots of love, lots of good food and holiday music and fun gift-exchanges, and lots of card-playing. (And even my grandma gets in on that trash talking sometimes, which is HILARIOUS. She'll quietly play her cards for the most part, listening to all of us and laughing, but every once in a while if someone gives her a hard time or a nasty card, she'll pipe up with something hysterically funny that none of us were expecting, which makes us laugh all the harder.) It's fun.
word count: 1000