The Random Thread

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Re: The Random Thread

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:Has anyone here ever sold anything on ebay? I ask because I've never done it before, and I'm wondering how it works. I noticed a section about seller's fees that the seller (in other words, me) would owe if the item is sold, but it doesn't specify how much those fees would be, so I'm feeling leery.

Any advice/information you can provide would be very helpful, thanks! :D
I've never sold on Ebay, but I have had a lot of luck with Craig's List.

I think it depends on what you're selling. If it's a collectible, valuable item I think ebay might be better. If it's just a household item I'd go with Craig's List.

The main thing with CL is to just make sure you meet in person only and somewhere public. Cash only (and specify in your ad that you won't have change) If they have to come over to pick something up like a piece of furniture or something, make sure it's a time when someone else is there with you. I've never had a problem though.
word count: 197
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

freedom
Fan

Olivier Awards

Post by freedom »

I don't know if you are aware or if Tj is aware but the special theatre awards, Olivier, are coming up you can recongise and register your votes on www.bbc.co.uk/radio2
:eusa-clap: best frocks and tuxs please lol!
word count: 43

freedom
Fan

theatre awards

Post by freedom »

Don't forget Olivier Awards mid April, unfortually you can't vote for the winners this year as time has run out but you can view them on www.bbc.co.uk/radio2
Who will win this year....I don't know but its exciting
word count: 45

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Steph, we need to talk about an important subject! What do you think about the new/12th Doctor Peter Capaldi? :flags-wavegreatbritain: How come we haven't talked about it??? :-?
I must say I am really looking forward to him as The Doctor! I really like him! I know you said that Matt was great, but I have only seen two scenes with him as the Doctor so I have to take your word on it. My Doctor is and stays David Tennant, but I think Peter Capaldi will do a good job, too, and I hope I am able to watch him. German TV doesn't show Doctor Who so I guess I will have to use the internet or buy the DVD's.
word count: 123
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Simone, have you seen David in his new series Broadchurch? It just started up on BBC America here in the U.S. so I've seen the first couple of episodes. It's interesting so far!

But if you know who the culprit is, DON'T TELL ME! No spoilers! :D
word count: 50

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I haven't managed to catch Broadchurch but it has been universally acclaimed and has a fantastic stellar cast, so I hope to be able to watch it properly at some stage.

Simone! Peter Capaldi! Indeed.
I was agreeably surprised when they went for him. He is an actor of tremendous stature, with an impressive list of successes behind him both onstage and on TV, and I have liked him in everything I've seen him in (and that goes back a fair way; I think the first thing I saw him in was Neil Gaiman's 'Neverwhere' in the 80s!). He is a subtle and talented actor, and a big DW fan himself.

He brings to the role a sense of quirkiness, but also genuine gravitas; for the first time we have an actor playing the Doctor who is the same age as was William Hartnell, way back in '63. I think that this might encourage a large tranche of fans of the original series to give the show a try. Some of them have been put off by the youthful manic qualities that have characterised recent regenerations. But I think Peter Capaldi will be able to meld that same energy with some of the facets of previous Doctors and add something of his own. It will be a fun, but dignified portrayal with a lot of passion. I am hugely looking forward to it (I will also be interested to see John Hurt playing a Doctor in the November 50th anniversary celebration, for which I believe we get David back as well).
word count: 264
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sherry, haven't watched Broadchurch, yet. They did not show it here and had no time to look it up in the internet. So can't tell you anything anyway! :-)

Steph, ah you know Peter so well. And you can express everthing so good with words. A talent I don't have. :-? But I am really looking forward to watch him as DW! And yes, I really am looking forward to the DW 50th anniversary special! ...don't know why exactly! ;-) David - how I miss him as DW!
word count: 88

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

SmackyKennedy
Bug Guy

Post by SmackyKennedy »

Any Shakespeare fans? Check out Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing, should be on DVD any day now. I thought it was charming and visually lovely and just had a dopey grin on my face through most of it. :). I'm hoping to get it eventually so I can watch over and over and understand more of that "foreign language."

Also, We're the Millers was HILARIOUS. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. And I don't care what the critics say, I love Jennifer Aniston.
word count: 91
"I live, I breathe, I let it rain on me. I sleep, I wake, I try hard not to break. I crave, I love, I've waited long enough." ~Not Pretty Enough/Kasey Chambers

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I'm sitting in a Barnes & Noble bookstore in Milwaukee, waiting for my sister to be done with work so we can get together for dinner and go to see Pink in concert tonight!

While I wait, I'm doing a little work here on my computer, and I got something to drink from the bookstore café. A little funny: they asked me my first name to write on the side of my beverage cup, but he must not have heard me say the second half of my name because when they called out my name and my beverage when it was ready, he called me Cher instead of Sherry! LOL. Oops. The server who gave me my hot chocolate asked me if I was named for the singer. Uh... sure, yeah, you bet. :D
word count: 134

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Fun story, Cher! ;-)

Steph, I watched Doctor Who - The Day of the Doctor. As I haven't watched S5-7 I don't understand a lot. Like is John Hurt now one of the Doctors? And is Peter Capaldi the 13th Doctor then? I thought Matt is 11 and Peter will be 12. How does John fit in? Well I guess as I haven't watched S5-7 I didn't get all of the story. :-?
word count: 76

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I know what you mean, Simone! Even some of us regulars have had trouble with this! You would understand things better if you watched the last 2 eps of series 7.

There are lots of other ends being tied up but briefly:
As you will know, in the gap between the 1996 TV film and the start of the Russell Davies era in 2005 the Doctor was involved in the appalling Time War with the Daleks and destroyed his own people in order to stop it. He's been carrying the guilt around ever since.

Turns out that in order to do this he transformed himself by regeneration into the world-weary, cynical BA that is John Hurt (there is a short video called the Night Of The Doctor on the BBC DW website depicting this - though I don't know whether you'd be able to access it - the wonderful Paul McGann making a brief return!). However, this Warrior Doctor was so far removed from any of the Doctor's beliefs and nature that he 'doesn't count' as one of the regenerations and was removed from the annals! The Day of the Doctor is about him & doctors 11 & 12 going back in time to cancel out the horrendous destruction of his people, instead calling on the powers of all the regenerations throughout time to project Gallifrey into a time bubble outside the universe (not entirely sure how this fits in with the Master and the Gallifrey time lock).

The Christmas special, which continues the story up to Matt's regeneration, is a bit contrived, as it attempts to marry the Doctor's change with the idea of Gallifrey starting to break through its bubble and back into the universe. For this reason the story is pretty static - a standoff between the Doctor protecting the particular planet where this is happening, and all his enemies encircling it.

Stephen Moffat is a most confusing writer and showrunner!
word count: 327

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

I read this whole thing but I have no idea what you are talking about. HAHA. Isn't Steven Moffat the Sherlock guy? We haven't seen any of season 3 of Sherlock yet, but it starts next week and I'm so excited. I love Sherlock! :happy-cheerleaderkid:
word count: 47
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I haven't seen Sherlock, Sharon, but I have been watching Elementary! (Actually, I'm catching up on it. I'm a full season behind and just started watching season 1 episodes this past week because I was curious about it and I like Sherlock Holmes and mysteries.)

What do you like about the Sherlock series? Good Sherlock and Watson? I've heard Sherlock's Sherlock is a much colder (or more hyper-logical?) Sherlock than the one on Elementary who actually shows occasional respect or kindness for people. Not often, but he does do it. LOL.
word count: 97

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

TJ4ever wrote:Fun story, Cher! ;-)
"If I could turn back time," Simone, I'd not have forgotten your birthday! ;) Heeheeeeee.
word count: 20

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Steph, thanks for explaining. Eh, yeah, guess I have to read it again! ;-) Don't know if I will ever watch the last two eps of S7. They don't show it in Germany anymore. But I will re-watch "The Day of the Doctor". I only watched it because of Davit Tennant - of course! ;-) ...and it confuses me. I read that people will have difficulties to understand it if they haven't watched S7. But it was so nice to see David as the Doctor again! :-) So, they were actually the 11th and 12th Doctors - but as Johns regeneration did not count they go by 10th and 11th. So Peter will still be 12th!? And there will be one after Peter? Well, guess they don't know it yet either! My sister wants to watch TDOTD, too. She hasn't watched anything from Doctor Who. It will be difficult to explain everything. And parts I don't even understand. LOL Well, we'll see!
word count: 165

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:
TJ4ever wrote:Fun story, Cher! ;-)
"If I could turn back time," Simone, I'd not have forgotten your birthday! ;) Heeheeeeee.
:text-lol: Right, Sherry! :smile: :romance-smileyheart:
word count: 24

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sherry I haven't seen Elementary.

I like Sherlock because I think it is pretty well done as far as writing as well as acted, with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, I really love the way they are together. I went in thinking I wouldn't like Sherlock in modern times but it sucked me right in. But I also have never read any Sherlock books, all I know about Sherlock is the Basil Rathbone movies. So not sure how people that are Sherlock experts feel about it. But he does sometimes show kindness for people, it is just done in a Sherlock kind of way. The last episode of season 2 definitely shows that he does care about some of the people around him. I won't say more just in case you decide to check it out. :) It has been a really long wait for season 3 to start though, almost two years but only 7 more days to wait now!! LOL
word count: 164
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Wow, that's a long wait in between seasons! Is it true they only have 3 episodes per season?? I read that somewhere. That, I think, would make it difficult for me to get into. Are they like mini-movies, or just an hour in length each? Very unusual approach for a TV series.

But I have heard very good things about Sherlock, so I am curious to check that one out, too. Maybe someday I will! :D
word count: 77

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

There are 3 episodes, 90 minutes each.
word count: 7

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Enjoy! It's just finished here (within 2 WEEKS after a 2-year wait!!!), pretty devastating in parts, Cumberbatch showing even greater range than in the past. Nasty, slimy villain in the last ep. Watson getting married. And no more spoilers from me.

Yes, Steven Moffat is indeed showrunner and chief writer for both Sherlock and DW. Too clever by half at times but does write an entertaining show. When you see Sherlock, Sharon, can you tell me what you thought of the resolution of the S2 cliffhanger?

I have tried to read Sherlock books but find them difficult to relate to. I'm just not into mystery and deduction on paper; I have a tendency to look at the last page first! I'm not keen on Elementary. Benedict Cumberbatch is much truer to the book Sherlock and, even if mysteries don't grab me, characters do...
word count: 148