Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by begolden »

ThyneAlone wrote:I loved what we did over on tv.com and wanted to carry it on here. It was creative, it was fun, and it was summer holidays so I had time for it. If I felt I had the right I would ship over the contributions from Rebecca, Kimber and Victoria also, on those same eps (we took turns to choose our favourites from S1, watched them during the week and got together 'live' when we could at the weekend to review them). Their thoughts are great to read and I'd be so pleased if they copied them across![/color]
I think that is a great idea Steph, and don't forget to ship over your own comments as well, since I think you are the most articulate of us all! I simply loved the reviews you did on TV.com.
word count: 144
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Done, honeybunch. That what Sherry's talking about. Mine are all up in the Bones section - how about you get yours over?? :)
word count: 22
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Accckkkk! You can see that I'm so behind reading this forum that I'm only half following what is going on as I scramble to catch up...
word count: 28

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Omg I have so missed this running about after you on the boards creating chaos! Where have you been, I have really missed you! <<hug>>
word count: 25

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Don't even get me started... I apologize for being absent so much, and I will do better! See? I've posted a lot a lot today...
word count: 27

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Don't feel obliged or guilty about not being here. Just wanted to say I noticed you weren't here and it is terrific to see you back. Did you see how many new members and good photos we are getting now?!
word count: 42

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

TJ4ever wrote:
Hey Sharon! Thanks! Great to hear from you again! Yeah, to do tap dancing was always one of my dreams but never dit it until now (started with 34 - a bit to late I guess)! I know that I will never be very good at it, but at least I am doing it! :)
Simone
Simone, its great you are taking the lessons. I'm sure you aren't bad at all. :)
Sinkwriter72 wrote:Sharon, I also wanted to add how impressed I am with you -- how you're going to school at 40. That's terrific! :D

Remind me again, please, what is your main focus?
Thanks Sherry, and only 3 more years (or more) to go! I'm a computer science & engineering major. But in May I'll get my Associate of Arts degree-so I've finished all my core stuff and will mostly be doing direct degree classes after this, the exceptions being two more Calculus classes and two Engineering Physics classes, but those are SUPPOSED to tie in to the engineering degree although I don't think they do really. ;)

I hope to have time in the next week or two to read up on all I missed, but my schedule is a bit odd this semester and I don't make it to the site like I'd like to.

Sharon
word count: 227
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

It's good to see you whenever you can make it, Sharon. I too am full of admiration for what you are doing. Is it going to mean a change of professional direction for you when you have finished? It sounds really interesting.
word count: 43

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Steph,

Well only slightly will it be a new professional direction. I started out as a data processor/computer operator 20 years ago, which meant I worked with mainframe computers (huge rooms full of large computers). From that moved into computer software installation, training, and tech support (I did all of those things in one job). Then I moved to software testing-I broke the software as it was being developed, and with a Computer Science degree I'll move into the programming world so just the other side of the coin from software testing. So its not really a totally new direction, just another layer of skills I think. :)

Sharon
word count: 112
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Whew! Lots going on here on the Sofa while I had my head stuck in a box of Puffs. ;) Let's see if I can catch up a bit.
skftex wrote:Thanks Sherry, and only 3 more years (or more) to go! I'm a computer science & engineering major. But in May I'll get my Associate of Arts degree-so I've finished all my core stuff and will mostly be doing direct degree classes after this, the exceptions being two more Calculus classes and two Engineering Physics classes, but those are SUPPOSED to tie in to the engineering degree although I don't think they do really.
WOW. Impressive! Sounds like you're moving right along -- go, Sharon! I salute you for furthering your education so remarkably. And if I might add, you inspire me, especially at a time when I feel like I may be starting all over, career-wise. You give me some hope. Thanks so much for that. :D
skftex wrote:I hope to have time in the next week or two to read up on all I missed, but my schedule is a bit odd this semester and I don't make it to the site like I'd like to.
Hey, like Steph said, we're just happy to hear from you whenever you're able to contribute. So glad to 'see' you pop in!
begolden wrote:I belong to an email group called O30Philes (over 30 philes, as in age...)
Hey Rebecca, may I ask, is this group a private one or can people still join it? I ask because I know of someone who would probably love this group, especially if you're all into good, thorough conversations about the show. Let me know? (Feel free to PM me, if this topic is too off-topic for the Offtopic Sofa. *GRIN*)
ThyneAlone wrote:
Sinkwriter72 wrote:I still plan to comment, I promise, but I'm afraid I've had a lousy head cold all week ...
Give me time to recover? I'll join you in those threads very soon.
Oh you poor thing, I am sorry, you must be feeling wretched. Don't feel you have to rush to the threads! They are there just to ensure that people continue to remember the excellent material we already have as we await new episodes. And because, yes, I loved what we did over on tv.com and wanted to carry it on here...
I was feeling quite wretched, yes. :( In fact, Callie and I were commiserating about it over on LiveJournal, because she's been terribly ill, too. (I swear, I did not send her my virus! LOL.)

Today's the first day I've actually felt even somewhat back to 'normal' (no comments from the peanut gallery, please... *GRIN*). I'm still a little stuffed-up, but at least I'm feeling more clear-headed than I have all last week. That's promising. THANK goodness!

(So, if you're reading this, Callie, chin up! I know you'll start to feel better very soon. I recommend lots of rest, vitamin C, and especially drinking lots of liquids, no matter how difficult it is. Even when you don't feel like eating or drinking anything. Trust me, I know.)

Meanwhile, Steph, I think your posting of these wonderfully written commentaries is a marvelous idea! And now I see Rebecca added one of hers as well -- yay!

I didn't get the opportunity to read what you all discussed back then, so I love the thought of you carrying those conversations over to reinvigorate the board at a time when new episodes won't be coming for a while. Please write more! In fact, I think we could start up conversations about all the episodes, from the beginning, if people are game. (One episode at a time, please.)

Look at me, trying to stir things up. 8) Hey, Steph and Rebecca started it! Hee.

ThyneAlone wrote:Omg I have so missed this running about after you on the boards creating chaos! Where have you been, I have really missed you! <<hug>>
I've really missed your voice on these threads too, Rebecca! I know you're not always able to hop on the computer, especially after a long day, but I'll love reading whatever you have time to contribute. You always have something fun and intelligent and thought-provoking to say.
word count: 738

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Got some bad news this afternoon.

Remember when I mentioned a few pages back that my sister-in-law Jean's grandfather was diagnosed with terminal cancer at the beginning of January? They thought he had maybe one to four months left.

My mom just emailed me that he passed away in his sleep on Thursday night. :cry: My brother and Jean and sweet baby Riley have already headed there for the funeral (which I guess is on Monday).

I feel helpless. I've been sitting here staring at my mom's email for the last fifteen minutes, trying to figure out what I can do for Jean and her mom (it's her mom's father). Flowers seem so pathetic and fleeting and impersonal. I don't know... I don't know what to do. I guess I'll have to think about it some more.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
word count: 151

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Oh Sherry. I'm so very sorry. Jean and her family must be really shell shocked, having just about managed to accustom themselves to the time span they had been given. I can't imagine how something like this would hit you, particularly if you were going through all the emotions and exhaustion that are attendant on bringing a child into the world. Alas, there will be sad thoughts associated with Riley's birthday and that is very poignant and heartbreaking.

What to do that's personal...
I don't suppose you've ever written a poem? Or maybe you could record a song for them? Or design a special card?
Those are all things I might do to show that my feelings came from the heart. But whatever you do will be full of care and thought anyway and therefore very personal.

Take care.
word count: 145

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

I am really sorry, Sherry!
Take care!
Simone
word count: 8

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

skftex wrote: Simone, its great you are taking the lessons. I'm sure you aren't bad at all. :)
Oh, well, Sharon, I´m trying! :wink: All the best for your studies!

Simone
word count: 32
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

Sherry, i am truly sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you're going through.
As for something personal, i think Steph has the right idea. do something that shows you really care. Maybe make something. I know something is vague, but whatever shows that you put your heart into it.
Take care.
word count: 55

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thank you so much for the support, ladies. :)

I'm all right. *smiles warmly*

Mainly, I'm very sad for Jean and her family. Wish they had had more time to process, and more time with him, if nothing else at least to say goodbye. Like Steph pointed out, it's only been a short time since they first got the news of his illness. Plus, Jean just had a baby about six weeks ago... it's a lot. It's a lot for her to take in.

And my thoughts go to her grandmother, who I've only met a few times but found her to be the cutest, sweetest lady. She's this tiny woman, very spirited and funny. Very dear. To lose her husband... :( It's unimaginable to me.

Jean contacted all of us last night, said they're all hanging in there, they're grateful he didn't spend the next few months suffering as his health declined (I guess it happened fairly quickly), and all she wants is prayers/good thoughts for the familly. That I can do.

I also thought I might send her and her mom a beautiful live plant, not flowers. I was talking to a friend of mine last night, someone who has had her share of heartache (her baby died at only 9 months old, years ago), and she said when she was grieving, flowers that wilted and died only served to remind her of her loved one being gone and withering. She said, 'You know they're pretty and the thought behind them is wonderful, but it's really hard to not make that connection when you're the affected one.'

On the other hand, a live plant, one that lasts, might provide a different message. A more hopeful one, perhaps.

Beyond that, I'm still pondering. I think back to the times in my life when I've lost someone I loved, and truly, I don't think anything really helps. The sentiment of gifts is appreciated, of course, but generally the only thing that truly eases the ache is time. And having someone to listen and give you a hug when you need it.

I can definitely give that.
word count: 372

XrayVixen
Fan

Post by XrayVixen »

I think you're on the right track Sherry. My grandfather passed away about two weeks ago, and I remember how beautiful and thoughtful some of the flower arrangements were-- some of which depicting a fisherman's theme with a line and pole. My grandfather loved to fish on Lake Douglas here in TN.
There was a potted night-blooming orchid of some type that smelled so wonderful, and it was this plant that my grandmother took home and placed in front of her window in room in which he took his last breath.

Maybe something lush and vibrant and green would be the best choice. I am sorry for yours and your friend's loss.
word count: 116
"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I'm so sorry for your loss, Anna! Two weeks is not a long time ago. I send you a hug. And positive thoughts for you and your family.

Thank you for yours. I know my sister-in-law and her family will appreciate them.

That orchid sounds lovely.
word count: 49

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Winnie-the-Pooh and the Blustery Day ;)

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

So... I know I've been elusive about posting any pictures of myself online (for those of you who've asked). Just not ready yet.

However, as a little bit of silliness, I thought I'd take a quick 'film' with my itty bitty camera (so, obviously not a professional job, heh), including a tiny (very tiny) look at a room in my apartment, along with a look at the snowy world outside my window today.

First, I took a trip out onto my balcony, to show you a glimpse of my view... it's a long backyard lined with trees (which look pretty when they're covered with snow, and look & sound gorgeous in the summer when the wind moves through their leafy greenness). I even leaned over the railing to get a shot of the length of the yard to the left -- oh, the danger! (I live on a second-floor apartment. *GRIN*)

And while I was out there today, it was almost literally a trip, LOL, as I slipped slightly while filming because the ground was very slippery and snowy. Sure, that's why the camera footage jumps around a bit, yep, right, that's why. Has absolutely nothing to do with the camera operator. ;)

(For your amusement, I do eventually pan down to the floor of the balcony to give you a quick glimpse of the crater in the snow where my feet slid, hee).

And (I hope) you should be able to see how everything is snowing and blowing around. BRR! Still... snow can be so beautiful. (Until it's gone on far too long and it gets all tainted by dirt and roads and human footsteps, and then you get sick of it, and want it to please just melt already and bring on the happy warmth of spring, heh.)

For those of you who don't have snow, I hope it's a fun look outside. :D

(For those of you suffering through this winter and having to dig your car out of the cavernous piles of white stuff almost every day... I'm terribly sorry if I'm currently giving you flashbacks and trauma. LOL.)

As I come back inside, you'll get to see something fun on one of my many (way too many) shelves of movies and books. Could it be TJ-related? Hmm. Perhaps. *GRIN* (And if you look really hard as I -- apologies -- pan a bit too fast, you might notice my 'Joss Whedon shelf,' which has Angel, Buffy, and Firefly DVD sets. Yeah, baby. Good stuff.)

Oh, by the way, that little card on the shelf with the amusing handwriting that reads "Dane"? That's a card from my 4-year-old nephew, thanking me for his Xmas presents. His mom -- my sister -- wrote out the main part of the letter, addressing it to his 'fun aunt' Sherry (hee hee, she cracks me up) and then Dane tried to sign it (with her help). It gives me a chuckle and a joyful smile every time I see it. I love that little boy. :D

And then I take a quick jaunt out of my apartment, down the stairs, to the front door area, where you'll see just how snowy everything is. Will it ever end? Here's hoping, because I just got a voice mail auto-message from the Village, informing me that they're now going to have to conserve salt and only use it on the main roads for a while, because this winter has been much more snowy than anticipated and they're running out. Joy.

Okay, enough of my yammering. Please enjoy the quick glimpse at my environment. :mrgreen:

Addendum to post: Stupid Photobucket has a limit to the size of the video file if you don't have a paid account, so it cut off my video right after I went downstairs and stepped outside. I wasn't really out there all that long, because that snow really is blowing all over and is more than a bit cold (shiver); basically, I just took a few shots of the deep snow and the cars buried (including, heh, my neighbor's police/squad car, which was thoroughly covered... how that guy would be able to hurry out in the event of an emergency, I have no idea, LOL). But I think I gave you enough of the snow view without that last bit. Sorry about that! I didn't read their rules before I downloaded my video, so I didn't know they'd truncate it. Argh!
word count: 762

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Makes me shiver even just looking at it, Sherry! Is there always so much snow?
Simone
word count: 16
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.