Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Not always. In fact, news reports have said we've had more snow (and snow storms) this year than in the past few years, so I think it's been a bit unusual. I'm certainly ready for it to melt, and for spring to start peeking out.

But, yes, we here in Illinois (and also when I lived in Wisconsin) get a good few snow storms and large piles of the white stuff during our winter months. It can be pretty when it lightly floats down, very magical, but on days like the one I filmed, it gets very cold and blowing around -- not so fun. I was laughing though, because as I tried to film, I wasn't sure what was going to show up on the camera... with the wind blowing the snow around, it was coming right at me! :D

Hey Kimber and Callie... I've got to imagine that in Canada you get MUCH more snow and cold days than we do, being north the way you are. Would you say that is the case? What's it like where you are?

And how about you, Simone?

Addendum to post: Tonight it's 20 below zero (Fahrenheit). My feet are freezing! I need to go get under the covers and get toasty warm. Unless TJ wants to come warm me up? ;) Just kidding, TJ. Don't be scared.
Last edited by Sinkwriter72 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 232

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

*doing a little dance around the room*

*dancing some more, because I just can't help myself*

Finally. Finally!

A piece I've been tinkering with for what feels like forever... is finally coming into place.

I first sat down and wrote it almost three years ago (February 20, 2005, to be exact), and I was relatively happy with it for a while. But I'd only just started writing again after years away, so after a while, after a little more time re-cultivating that interest, I began to look at this piece with a more critical eye, and parts weren't quite right anymore. I had a good friend who's also a writer give it a look, and she sent me some valuable feedback, pointing out some areas where I could 'show' more (rather than 'tell,' if you know what I mean). And it's been troubling me ever since.

I started editing it about a year ago, working on it here and there, really struggling to find the right words to fill in the spots that needed a little extra something. But it wouldn't come. I'd lost the character's voice. I'd lost the energy for the piece. I just couldn't 'hear' what needed to be there.

And then tonight, I was browsing about on the computer, typing up some things, reading some journals, when I had this... immediate urge to open up that file and give it a glance. At first, it was just to read over the one section that I was truly happy with, the one section that didn't really need anything added or taken away. I don't even know why I was drawn to read it tonight, but I did.

And then suddenly some words popped into my head, for a couple of sections I'd been agonizing over, and I saw it from a different angle, something so simple but I just couldn't put to words before. And I began to type. And I was nodding, and feeling it come together in a way it hasn't in over a year. FINALLY.

I can't tell you how excited I am. It's just this silly little piece, an experiment, 5 vignettes that link together, in a way. But to finally have more of it coming together... it's like there's a light at the end of the tunnel, but this time it's not a train running me over; this time it's a lantern I can grasp and it's leading me out of a very dark, stupid hole. :roll:

I've still got some polishing to do, to wrap up the new stuff I've written and tie it to what I already had, but I finally feel like I can finish this piece. Once and for all. I can't tell you what that means to me.

At long freaking last!!

I was so excited, I just needed to share it with you guys. Thanks for indulging me. :D
word count: 508
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

What can I say? FANTASTIC, well-deserved and I look forward to seeing it in print....

Sherry, you were due for a Life Positive. *dancing happily with you and knocking a flower vase onto the sofa, oops, bother*
word count: 38
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Thank you, Steph! Lovely dancing, by the way. Until you bumped that flower vase, I thought you were showing fine form. ;)

hee hee

It's interesting, too, because that writer friend who read my piece has been having a long fruitful spell of writing over the last couple of years, while I've felt almost completely blocked and void of my own creative inspiration (partially stemming from the horrible work schedule and stressful job I used to have, I think). In fact, most of the time, I concentrated on sending feedback for her stuff, which I delighted in doing, make no mistake... I just couldn't seem to get my own going. Now, ironically, at a moment where I'm finally finding some footing, poor Bardsmaid is feeling stuck, like she needs to step away from what she was working on and get some fresh perspective. Funny-odd how the universe works sometimes.

I hope I can keep this momentum going, and that my friend can ultimately find whatever she needs to return to her stride as well.

Have you written anything lately, Steph? I really, really loved that poem you forwarded to me. I think everyone should read it. :D
word count: 200

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

.Hello all you TJites (sorry no clue where that came from LOL) How is everyone?

Sherry, how cool you finished that piece. So do you try to get published or do you just do it for yourself? I'm impressed that you write because I always WISH I could but I just don't have the creative side for that.

Not a lot going on here except school, I had my first Calculus test last Wednesday and today I should find out how I did. I don't think I did great but I don't think I failed it either. :roll:

I hope everyone is doing well. I haven't had time to go back and read all the stuff I missed, so I just read this page. Sherry I did watch your little video. Snow for you, and high temps here are in the low 70s!! :mrgreen:

Sharon
word count: 148
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

Congrats Sherry on finally finishing your writing piece!! I always admire writers, because i can't write anything to save my life. I just don't know how they do it. Just one question, what is that particular piece for exactly?
And i watched your video. That's a lot of snow. We have crazy crazy weather here in Indiana. One day its 5 degrees, and the next its 50. And Illinois isn't too far off from here!

dohee
word count: 80

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Wow! Dancing and typing at the same time! You two are very talented! :wink:

Well, Sherry, we haven´t had much snow here lately. That´s good, because I don´t like snow very much! Yesterday it was 10 ° C with sunshine and today it is about 7°C.

Sharon, I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Simone
word count: 56
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Hey Simone! Good to see you. Yes, Sharon, I too am keeping my fingers crossed for your exam - let us know how it went!

Despite a complete failure of an expedition to buy a new bookcase today (the whole house is being taken over by a combination of my teddy bears and our shared books), we are feeling congenial, firstly because we are on holiday (yay!), but also because the weather has been amazing. Blue skies, warm breeze - definitely no snow on the horizon here - the last snow I recall here was 2 years ago in March, Sherry, your clip made me feel quite nostalgic for the boys snowballing on the yard. Mind you, English weather has been so unpredictable of late that nothing surprises me. Blizzard, twister, heat wave with its attendant ant spill - I'm ready for anything!
word count: 140

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Hey Steph! Just wanted to make a quick visit! Now I am on for over an hour! :) Mostly because it took very long to choose 5 pictures! :wink: So I am off now! Need to eat something.

See you all next week!

Simone
word count: 42

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Tut mir leid! Vielen Dank aber fur deine Wahlen!
(sorry but ta for the choices - rest of you, get into Talk TJ to see what we mean..)
word count: 27

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi to Steph, Dohee, Sharon and Simone, along with everyone else out there reading this! :D
skftex wrote:.Sherry, how cool you finished that piece. So do you try to get published or do you just do it for yourself? I'm impressed that you write because I always WISH I could but I just don't have the creative side for that.
Well, it's not quite finished yet. My main cause for celebration was that I was finally able to get over a huge hurdle, two sections I'd struggled to edit better that were giving me major trouble. But the progress I made this week is a big deal, because my work on this piece had stalled completely, to the point where I'd set it aside in hopes of picking it up again sometime in the future; I just couldn't seem to get past these two stupid sections that needed work. I've finally conquered those sections, so now I think I can go back through and tie it all together once and for all. There's just one final section that gave me trouble, but I think I have a good handle on it now. It's looking promising! I'm relieved and determined. *GRIN*

As for what I do with my writing... well, it depends on the piece.

I used to write all the time when I was a kid. In fact, my mom used to tell me to put my notebook down and go play outside. Sometimes I'd go for a bike ride, but smuggle my notebook out with me, so I could ride to a park, sit and write for a while, and then ride back home. (I know, I'm a rebel. LOL.)

But once I got to college, my degree focus was on other things, so I stopped writing (stopped having the time, really). I didn't pick it up again until about three or four years ago. And even then, I did it sporadically, as inspiration hit. It became something I did for myself, just to challenge myself, and renew that creative interest (which makes me happy), and to just see if it was something I could do anymore. I started out writing a few fan fiction pieces, for The West Wing, focusing on one specific character who 'spoke' to me (I don't mean that as bizarre as it may sound, LOL). This particular piece is actually a West Wing-themed story, but it was one that I always wanted to go back and rework, so even though it's not something that can be published, it is rewarding to me if I can complete it in a way that makes me satisfied I did as best a job as I could with it. And I can post it on the 'net, so if you want to read it just to see what it's about and tell me what you think, I'd love that. *smiles*

I do have something in mind, a project near and dear to me personally that I want to write, and that IS something that could be published, eventually (either via self-publishing or through scouting out agents/managers who can send it to actual publishing companies). But it's only in the beginning stages at this point. Many scraps of paper and typed-up notes and thoughts. I haven't found the right angle to put it all together yet. Again, I'm determined to write it though, because it's a subject that's really important to me, and I feel like it's something I need to say, before I can move on to writing novels or any other writing projects. We'll see what happens! One piece at a time. :roll:

Hey Sharon, how'd that Calculus test go? Did you receive word yet? *fingers crossed for you*
skftex wrote:Sherry I did watch your little video. Snow for you, and high temps here are in the low 70s!! :mrgreen:
Punk. hahaha

Bottle up that weather and send it our way, will you? Dohee and I could use some springtime.

Speaking of Dohee... ;)
bonesaddict11 wrote:And i watched your video. That's a lot of snow. We have crazy crazy weather here in Indiana. One day its 5 degrees, and the next its 50. And Illinois isn't too far off from here!
dohee
I know! We're practically neighbors! That's cool. heh. And that seems to be the weather of the Midwest, doesn't it? There's an old joke about it that says, "Don't like the weather? Wait an hour." :lol: I certainly saw that this winter season. One day in particular, the ground was snow-covered in the morning, melted by the mid-afternoon with 40 or 50 degrees F temps, and by the evening the temps had dropped to below zero. What the hell. HAHAHA

Hey Steph, did you find a bookcase yet? I know the predicament. I've got more books and DVDs than I have space for. Not a bad thing, because I love books and DVDs, but ... it would be nice to be able to organize them better. I'm starting to feel that need, to clean out the clutter in my apartment, paring down to what's most important to me.
word count: 891

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi everyone...well that Calculus test, I did better than I expected, an 86. I'm a bit of a high acheiver though so that isn't an A so not good enough. :oops: But I'm actually pretty pleased with it, because it means I have a pretty good grasp on the foundation which is what is always covered the first few weeks of math, then everything builds off of that. If you don't get the first stuff it is harder throughout the semester usually. Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

Sherry, too bad I can't send this weather up to you and Dohee, we've had a really good string of REALLY nice days, not hot and not too cold. But now they are saying possible snow by next week, which rarely happens and only sticks around a day if it does happen, but still...

So Sherry, which West Wing character did you write about? Have I ever mentioned that I'm obsessed with The West Wing?? In fact I just watched an episode last night (from season 6). I wish I could believe we have (can have?) people like those running our government. I tend to watch 3 or 4 episodes a week. And then right after I watched the West Wing last night I found Bones on TNT so was a pretty good night for my favorite TV shows! :mrgreen:

I wish I had ROOM for more bookcases, but I hope you managed to find one Steph.

Well thats about it for now. Hope everyone is having a good week so far.

Sharon
word count: 267
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

You know what i just realized? A lot of you guys have names starting with and S. Steph, Sherry, Sharon and Simone. It's somewhat confusing for me. Haha. I feel so lonely being a D. :D

Weather here has been pretty weird recently. yesterday there was some ice, and then snow to cover it over. My school had a 2 hour delay!! yay. :) tomorrow its suposed to be 46 F high. i hope it warms up soon so i can do stuff outside. Soccer season starts soon for me, so i'm really excited about that!! :mrgreen:

Any luck with your bookcase dilemma Steph?

And good job on your test Sharon. Calculus can't be too fun. And i'm definitely not looking forward to taking it. But i guess we all have to go through it sometime, don't we? :roll:

dohee
word count: 141

themanagementteam
Fan

Post by themanagementteam »

Wow, this is one big cozy couch ya'all are hangin out on here! :D Don't know who this is, huh...come find out, come to TALK TJ...

Code: Select all

[/color][/size]
word count: 33

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Hey Guys!

Wow! I feel strangely honoured to be posting after the man himself! *mini-fangirl-spaz* *grin*. Nevertheless just a quick post to come and throw in my two cents with everything that's been going one with you guys whilst I’ve been away.

Hi Dohee *waves* and don't worry about all the 'S's floating around (hehe I never noticed that before), your not the only D around here Callieach is actually a D in the real world and there are a few other random letters floating around here and there :D :D...including me P :)

OMG with everybody talking about getting A's both now and back when they were in school I suddenly feel kinda stupid lol. I think the only A's I ever got before going to Uni were in the more creative classes like Art and Graphics, and then I only started getting them in Uni when this guy started helping me out with my grammar, punctuation etc, etc or when I was just really, really lucky :D :D lol.

Hey Simone, you tap dance? Wow that's awesome. I used to do tap, ballet, modern and gymnastics when I was younger but unfortunately had to give it up when I was about 11 *sigh*. I even took part in a big show we did you at our main theatre in the city centre. It was awesome! So how long have you been doing it yourself? Does your school put on shows? Ever thought of being in one?

Sherry! Love the video. I adore all of that snow you've had over there. I keep bugging Callieach over her weather (as she to, and still is having bucket loads of snow) cause I would love for it to snow over here, well for longer than half an hour or so anyway, cause I really do love it...even if I would probably end up slipping and falling on my ass *grin*. I just think there's something about snow that makes everything feel different, and I guess I like that feeling....well in small doses anyway lol. Oooh that sounds awesome about the writing job, have you heard anything back from them yet? I really hope you get it, even though I'll be insanely jealous. What kind of writing is it you'd be doing? More creative or professional stuff??

Right I guess I better go get ready for my driving lesson. Will be back in a couple of hours or so to continue trying to catch up.

:D
word count: 424
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

XrayVixen
Fan

Post by XrayVixen »

Hey Willowwood! I've not talked to you before- I'm kinda new myself! Good to see ya back on the sofa though...
What kind of driving class are you doing, drivers' ed? I took that in high school to lower my insurance payments. LOL!
word count: 45
"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

Hi willowwood!!! Nice to see you back on the site. =)

Ooo. Driving lessons. Exciting. I still have a year till i can start. =( But when i get my license, I'm gonna drive everywhere!!!

Btw, does anyone here watch prison break? I just watched the season finale, and i can't help but notice how they always leave you hanging. Especially the season finale, shouldn't they end it off all nice and pretty? Instead, they give you the biggest cliffhanger of all. Well, i guess that's just how they get people to watch it more. Anyone here a prison break fan?

doheeeee
=D
word count: 105

willowwood
Fan

Post by willowwood »

Hi Dohee and XrayVixen *waves*
XrayVixen wrote:Hey Willowwood! I've not talked to you before- I'm kinda new myself! Good to see ya back on the sofa though...
What kind of driving class are you doing, drivers' ed? I took that in high school to lower my insurance payments. LOL!
Yeah I haven't been about for a while, but thankfully I'm back (at least for a little while) and all caught up now. Being British we actually don't have drivers' ed over here, instead I have a weekly lesson with a personal instructor. I'm on something like my 17th lesson so far, and hopefully getting better every week *crosses fingers* I can't wait to actually be able to drive, and I’m desperate to own my very own Mini Cooper, all Hodgins-Two-Bodies-in-the-Lab style :D, although I've wanted one way before I saw Hodgins in that awesome red one. Oops sorry suddenly veering completely off my original point lol.
bonesaddict11 wrote:Btw, does anyone here watch prison break?
You know I actually started to watch that show when it first aired over here but after a couple of episodes just really couldn't get into it, I don't know it might have been due to the fact that I missed the first episode and then was always really struggling to figure out what happened, but not even the appeal of Wentworth Miller could keep my interest. Which is kinda of sad considering it's always seemed like a really interesting show.
word count: 263
Wil xxx

Bugs_n_Slime (A community for fans of Jack Hodgins)

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

OK! Back from London - back to work! Yes, I was in London again! :D

Took a one week vacation from work! At my last visit I read that Jeff Goldblum and Kevin Spacey are in a play together from February 2008. :D So I got to go and watch it!!! Always loved Jeff Goldblum and always wished to meet him once and/or watch him live on stage! He is such a great actor! Kevin Spacey of course, too! He is one of my favourite actors, but I have watched him already two times in a play in London and for him alone I wouldn´t go back so early after my last visit! The two were awesome!!! The play called "Speed The Plow"! All of you who live nearby or plan to visit London till April you have got to watch it!!! :!: I still can´t belive it! I saw Jeff Goldblum live on stage! And he still looks very, very good! As always!!! :D So happy about it!!!

I also watched "Billy Elliot" The Musical! Really awesome, too! :) The rest of the time I was shopping and walking around a bit! Had a GREAT time!

Simone
word count: 195

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

willowwood wrote: Hey Simone, you tap dance?
Hey Will! It´s one of the floating 'S's! :wink:
I´ve started with tap dance very late about two years ago. It was always my dream to do it because I always loved the movies with Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly. Don´t know why I didn´t start earlier. I think I am to old now to be very good at it but at least I am doing it and it´s a lot of fun!!! I would love to be on a show once but I am not good enough for it, yet. Don´t know if I ever will be?!?! I did some lessons every month and some weekend workshops. But the next lessons will start not before the end of march. Courses are hard to find where I live.

Got to go now. I think I will be back on Sunday! Sorry I can´t be here more often lately! Work is very stressful at the moment! :(

Take care - and don´t forget to go to the "Calendar Boy" thread and choose your favourite pictures!

Simone
word count: 188