Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by skftex »

Oh HAPPY BIRTHDAY Steph!!! Though darn I'm six minutes late. :roll: Guess better late than never!![ :mrgreen:

Sharon
word count: 17
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

XrayVixen
Fan

Post by XrayVixen »

Steph, I wanna know how you did the 3D effects on the Card Calendar!!!
I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen graphically. Please tell me your secret, Oh Great One; I am your padawan. :mrgreen:
word count: 47
"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:
Simone, the play and musical you saw sounded wonderful. I'm glad you got the chance to go to London again and enjoy yourself. In fact, I covet your Kevin Spacey theatre tickets. ;) I really loved his work in L.A. Confidential.
P.S. Was there some amazing dancing in the Billy Elliot musical? I loved the film version. It was such a moving, unique story, and Jamie Bell and Julie Walters were fantastic.

To quote Hodgins in "The Girl with the Curl"... okay, now you talk. :mrgreen:

OK, it's my turn! :)

Hey Sherry! Thanks for the interest in my London trip! Had a lot of fun! And seeing Jeff Goldblum live on stage was a dream come true! :D And together with Kevin Spacey - it was amazing! :!:
The "Billy Elliot"-musical was really great, too. Lots of singing and dancing! That little boy was so great! Such a great dancer! I had tears in my eyes! I also love the movie! That´s why I wanted to see the musical.

Hey Dohee!
Enjoy your Spring Break! How about a detailed report after it? :wink: In Germany we don´t have such a thing. I mean we do have Easter vacation but it´s not getting so wild as I have heard it is in the USA. When I hear 'Spring Break' I think of trips to Florida where the students drink a lot of alcohol and party all the time. Is it really like that?

Hey Sharon! Sorry you failed the test! I hated Chemistry class! Not my thing!
Your programming teacher??? Any interesting stories you want to share with us? :wink:

Hey Catylin! What film are you in? Are you allowed to talk about it? What actors are in it? HAVE FUN!

Hey Kimber! Saw your post for the calendar! You haven´t post for a long time! Great to hear from you! :)

TO EVERYBODY: Have a great weekend!

And again, Steph, hope you had a great birthday yesterday!

OK, I´m out! It is now 10 pm here in Germany and I want to relax a bit on my real sofa! :wink:

Take care!

Simone
word count: 356
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

So, Anna, you reckon I can do effects? Sorry, completely bewildered. 3D? That wasn't me. You're getting me confused with someone who knows something about a computer. One of these days I will be able to put it together like that - but not yet!
word count: 46
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

*wave*
Hello Simone! Good to see you! How is life in your beautiful part of the world? Ta for the birthday wishes. It is murder at work just now, but I seized a few moments to enjoy myself; and all my kiddies sang to me.. Guess what my beloved got me? A dinky little Ipod shuffle! Now I have to learn how to use the thing - and carry my music with me!

While I am here I just want to say HI *big hug* to Kimber, whom some of you don't know cos she's been away for a couple of months. Welcome back sweetheart, we've missed you, what ya been doing? :)
word count: 114

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

OK, still here! But this is really my last post for today! :wink:
Steph, must be a great moment when they all sang for you! :) Have fun with your iPOD! Had to learn how to use such things (mp3-players), too! It´s a challenge! :)
Work is pretty busy so I can´t come here as often as I want, too!

Take care! Will be back maybe on Sunday!

Simone
word count: 69

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

TJ4ever wrote:
Hey Dohee!
Enjoy your Spring Break! How about a detailed report after it? :wink: In Germany we don´t have such a thing. I mean we do have Easter vacation but it´s not getting so wild as I have heard it is in the USA. When I hear 'Spring Break' I think of trips to Florida where the students drink a lot of alcohol and party all the time. Is it really like that?
Hi Simone!! Nice to hear from you!

Haha, i don't know about the drinking and alcohol, but about half of everybody i know went to Florida. It's supposed to be getting warmer, but it's actually getting colder. Today we had an early release from school because it was snowing too much. Would you imagine that? :wink: And about that detailed report...I'm not really doing much. Just stayin home to chill with my friends. relax. :mrgreen: But if something comes up, i'll be sure to let you guys know!!!

ThyneAlone wrote:Guess what my beloved got me? A dinky little Ipod shuffle! Now I have to learn how to use the thing - and carry my music with me!
I used to have a pink ipod nano (i don't know what i was thinking when i chose the color pink :roll: ), but somebody at my school stole it. =(
But on the bright side, for christmas i got a PSP!! I mostly use it to listen to music.

Now i must go enjoy the rest of Spring Break day 1!!!

Dohee
word count: 258

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hello everyone!

Hi Kimber, I remember you being here before but can't say I know you but glad you are back!! Hope we hear more from you.

Hi Simone! How are you?

The story about my programming teacher isn't that interesting, just something that ANNOYS me. You see I am taking this java programming class because my major IS computer science and well...she's not the best teacher in the world. Let me start off by saying even though I've worked with computers forever the only programming I know is html or some really obsolete stuff from years ago. So this is all new to me. So this teacher is going to teach us some new (to me and most of the class anyway) concept and she gets up to the board and says "Ok, what am I supposed to write?" Now HOW IN THE WORLD DO I KNOW THAT IS WHY I'M TAKING THE CLASS!!!! But ok, eventually we get through things and I'm doing ok. But then she gives us an assignment-we have to write this small program and I think ok I can do that. So I start it and it all works but I have a tiny little problem with the format the output is coming out in. So usually at this point you ask the teacher right? WRONG. Because that is what I did after a week of trying to fix this tiny problem, and she says to me "Why don't you google it?" GOOGLE it??? You mean GOOGLE is my teacher? But ok...I spend another week using google and sifting through a jillion and one java websites and I STILL can't get it work. Back to the teacher and I get...wait for it....."Yes, you can do it but I want you to find it on GOOGLE!!!!" Ok. This is the night that the assignment is due so home I come and spend another 2 hours on google and nope, put in something and now my program has about 40 errors in it. Assignment is due in less than an hour. So I give up, submit the one that works but has the small formatting error, submit the second one with all the errors as well and ask her could I talk to her about it. She answers yes, we'll talk about it in class. So Monday night was class. She looks at it, tells me that I have the statements in the wrong place and to GOOGLE it to find out why!! 3 weeks of GOOGLE and she doesn't get that I just can't find the answer??? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!

Now after all that frustration I did get the thing to work finally but I just don't know why she couldn't help me go in the right direction because that is what she is there for isn't it? None of this was in the course textbook we use either. She said that just telling me meant I wouldn't learn it. Hmmm....isn't that what a teacher does? Teaches you things and then you try to remember them??? Ok. End of rant. Sorry but you did ask!! HEE

Hi Steph...hope you had a good birthday and you aren't too busy with work. Hows the family? And your son? Is he doing well with his sports now??

Hi Dohee, lucky you having spring break. Mine doesn't start until the end of the month (around Easter). Hope you have a nice relaxing week!!!

Hi XRayVixen and begolden and well everyone else. :)

Sherry, I agree about Toby. I'm going to send you a pm rather than put too much WW stuff on here though. Hope that is ok. And yes, I think you should pm the stories you are willing to share. I know this is off-topic but still, others might not be quite as enthralled with my WW obsession and I don't want people to get bored of that talk. :mrgreen:

Ok. Thats it. Oh...72 on my calculus test but she's going to give us two problems on Monday to try to raise our grade 20 points. Hope I can do them so I can have a 92 instead! My test was full of stupid algebra mistakes, not calculus mistakes! DARN. :evil:

Sharon

word count: 730
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

skftex wrote:Hello everyone!
... So Monday night was class. She looks at it, tells me that I have the statements in the wrong place and to GOOGLE it to find out why!! ...
Oh, for crying out loud! That's ridiculous. I mean, I'm no teacher, but I have trained people on various computery stuff (heh, that's a technical term, you betcha) at the jobs I've had, and there's no point to that. Yes, maybe after she'd taught you the main information, if you weren't remembering it, she could say, I gave you the initial tools and information, if you can't recall or didn't take thorough notes, you'll have to look it up. But, Google as resource, without the benefit of class information first? Give me a break. I can see why you're frustrated. Did you tell her outright that you found this approach frustrating and not a helpful resource in your learning process? Sheesh.
skftex wrote:
Sherry, I agree about Toby. I'm going to send you a pm rather than put too much WW stuff on here though. Hope that is ok.
Absolutely! And totally understandable (which is why I didn't want to post any of my writings here, even the short short ones, because it was getting way too off-topic, even for the off-topic sofa, heh). I look forward to hearing from you whenever you have the time and inspiration to send your thoughts. :D

Hey Steph, did you have a wonderful birthday, or were you working too late and too hard? ;)

Happy Weekend to you all!
word count: 271

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

skftex wrote:She said that just telling me meant I wouldn't learn it. Hmmm....isn't that what a teacher does?
Yes. Your teacher is an incompetent who is trying to cover up that she doesn't know enough. A good teacher might ONCE say 'try to work it out yourself' and give you some precise ideas where to look and what for (yes, precise. Not the seven million results you have to trawl through on a search engine). Then, when you came back, she'd have sat down and gone through it with you bit by bit to see if you could understand it better if guided through it. And then you wouldn't be frustrated, the learning would have left you with an understanding and this fraud would be doing her darn job. Eeeeek! Just occasionally one comes along that makes the vocation as a whole look lame. I am proud of what I do, am confident in my abilities and enjoy making others feel better about themselves, and this kind of fudging makes me so mad!!!!

Enough of the soapbox. Son no.2 is revelling in being back to full training, if not yet to full fitness, thanks for asking. He's back at his goalkeeper classes and was 'keeper of the week' there last Friday. He continues with the physio and is muscling up nicely. Perseverance has paid off and his skills are still sharp!

Sherry (and all other lovely people who have asked), to be honest, I am still so laden with work that the birthday could have been more relaxed. But all the cards and the egg soldiers in bed and the great Mexican meal we had in the evening and the presents and good wishes made me feel top of the world. I have some great friends and family. :)
word count: 307

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Steph, so glad your son is doing well. Keeper of the week! YEA! And just so you know, I LOVE teachers. In the two and a half years I've been going to college, this particular teacher is only the 3rd one that I have problems with. I didn't love all the others but I thought they did their job. And then I have those special few I'll never forget. I admire anyone who teaches because its not the most glamorous job in the world and students are such babies sometimes! But I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this google approach is not the way to go. Yes Sherry I told her Google wasn't working for me and I wasn't learning this way and she said, "Oh I have confidence in you". The thing is, this teacher DOES know the subject and she knows it well. I just don't think she knows TEACHING well. Not that its limited to computers, but having been in this field for awhile, I realize that a lot of times people that really know computer subjects aren't always the best people to be trying to teach them to others.

Anyway, thanks for supporting my rant!! :mrgreen:

Sharon
word count: 212

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I'm sure she thought she was being encouraging, but there also needs to be some substance behind that. Like Steph said, some precise information for you to use, in order for you to absorb the data and further explore on your own. There are so many good teachers out there, who are inspiring and nurturing... it's rough when you have one who has the course knowledge but not the proper skills to convey that info in an understandable manner. Do you get to write an evaluation of the class and teacher when the course is complete? Perhaps some constructive criticism (within the scope of how you acknowledge that she definitely knows her stuff) might get her to see that she should take another look at how she teaches the information. Good luck! :D

P.S. Got your PM, Sharon! Thanks! I'll respond to it sometime this weekend, but I've got to log off because it's going on 7 PM, I've been running around like a maniac since early this morning, and I'm REALLY HUNGRY! Time for dinner. :mrgreen: Talk to you soon.

Happy Weekend, everyone! WHOO!
word count: 191
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

Steph, i'm glad to here that you're son is doing better and even Keeper of the week!!

Yes...teachers...I've had my fair share of bad teachers too. I mean, doesn't everybody? :roll: I have this one social studies teacher that grades based on his opinions. So we're learning his opinion, not much history. But that's ok with me because I'm getting an A in that class. :D
But telling you to use google? Now that's just a bad teacher. No! she doesn't even deserve to be called a teacher!! Haha ok maybe that's going a little too far.

I hope everybody has a wonderful weekend!!!
word count: 114

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I had typed a looooooooonnnnggggggggg message in here, and something happened and POOOF it went away while I was typing. Sigh. I think its because I'm at school and not quite used to this keyboard so I probably hit a key and erased everything.

Ok. Hope everyone is doing well, its quiet on this thread! Two days without a post!

I have to tell you something positive about that programming teacher, she let me fix that assignment and turn it in again. Although it was due to Google that I found the solution. :roll: We don't get to do teacher evals this semester I don't think. They usually do them every other semester and we did them in the fall. So I won't get to leave feedback this time. Darn.

Sherry I did get your pm and read it, but being at school I probably won't answer until tomorrow. Today is my long schoolday, I get home around 9 pm. But...only 6 more days of classes until spring break! I get Good Friday off but have a chemistry class on Mar. 22, then spring break starts for me, 9 days off in a row. Because we also get Mar. 31 for Caesar Chavez day. Something I doubt many other people know about except in the southwest U.S. and Mexico.

I really don't have much else going on. Hope everyone is doing well. Is it sad that I look forward to Tuesdays and Fridays because they show Bones episodes on those days???

DId you read TJ's new blog on myspace? Very short and cute. :mrgreen:

Ok. Over and out here!
Sharon

word count: 278

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

skftex wrote:aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I had typed a looooooooonnnnggggggggg message in here, and something happened and POOOF it went away while I was typing.

GAH! I hate when that happens! And you know you had it worded exactly the way you wanted, the first time 'round, so you'll never fully be able to recapture it the same way. Drives me nuts!

Glad to hear your programming teacher gave you a break after all that craziness, Sharon. Sheesh. What an ordeal. :roll: And since you don't get to do a teacher evaluation this semester, I guess she's getting a lucky break, too. Heh. At any rate, hang in there until Spring Break! Whoo! I bet at this point being able to take a breather is quite welcome in your schedule.

And no worries on response, Sharon. Take your time. I know you'll get to it whenever you are able. After I sent that PM, I also sent you the two little 155-word pieces I mentioned I'd written for The West Wing, so... I hope you enjoy!

Yes, I definitely read TJ's latest blog post. :D I envy his traveling, but it sounds wonderful, nonetheless.

I hope he has a marvelous time and heads back to L.A. to find that the Bones writers have drummed up even more opportunities for him to illuminate and build upon his character. As we've discussed recently, he's the type of actor who can convey so much with the tiniest of details and mannerisms, so I really want Hart and the writers to take full advantage of that talent and nurture it. Give him plenty to do! :mrgreen:
word count: 277

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Unusual day for me to be here! It is now 10.45 pm here in Germany.

Sharon, thanks for the detailed answer! Wow, it was long! Had some bad teachers myself, so I know a bit how you must have felt!

Sherry, I came here to ask you something. A friend of mine wants to visit Chicago at the end of November/beginning of December this year. (She tries to talk me into it, too!) But she´s scared that she might get snowed in and couldn´t leave on time back to Germany. As I know you live in Illinois I promised her to ask you if you can tell a bit about the weather at this time. She already looked it up, but you did not get it in details. Most of the time you learn, that it´s cold. Well, she knew that before. Could you tell a bit from your own experience, please?

Thank you very much in advance!

Simone
word count: 164

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hey everyone!

Guess what? Today the programming teacher had us write about the class, what we like or don't, so I DID get to voice my concerns about google!!! It was all anonymous. But I also put some positive things and I tried to be constructive about the bad feedback.

Simone, I know you didn't ask me about Chicago but I spent 6 months flying in and out of Chicago each week in the winter (about 5 years ago). We flew in on Mondays and back out on Fridays. I didn't have any problems with weather, they tend to know how to deal with snow up there so it wasn't too bad. I think once or twice we had a two hour delay but for the most part it wasn't bad (though it was cold up there!!) :lol:

Sharon
word count: 143

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

skftex wrote:
Guess what? Today the programming teacher had us write about the class, what we like or don't, so I DID get to voice my concerns about google!!!
HAHAHAA Good for you, Sharon. Good for you. :lol:
skftex wrote:It was all anonymous. But I also put some positive things and I tried to be constructive about the bad feedback.
I'm sure you did your best to be fair. And hey, if it's anonymous, that helps. Maybe she'll take the constructive criticism seriously, rather than writing it off (depending on which student it comes from), you know?

Simone -- Hi! I'm not sure exactly how to answer your question, mainly because here in the Midwest the weather is anything but predictable! LOL.

Still, what I can tell you is that during late November/early December, there's usually snow (whether it's light snow or heavy snow depends on the wacky whims of the season and the area), and temperatures can range anywhere from 40+ degrees above zero (Fahrenheit) to 20 below zero (yes, that's freakin' cold!). :shock: Your friend's best bet is to pack lots of layers -- that way she can always take off a layer if the temps turn unseasonably warm, but she'll have the clothes she needs just in case it's freezing. I'd say make sure she's got a warm scarf, gloves and hat, and a warm coat. Nothing flimsy. Chicago isn't called the "Windy City" for nothing. :mrgreen: Oh, and some kind of sturdy boot, in case of heavy snow or icy paths.

I lived there for a year, and most times it was fine, nothing major, but I can still recall a couple of days here and there when the wind was so strong it almost sent me flying into cars or the exterior walls of buildings. *GRIN* One day I'm thinking of was particularly surreal -- I think my hair was flying sideways, hahaha, and when I opened my car door, the wind immediately slammed it closed in my face (and almost on my leg which I was moving to step out of the vehicle, yikes!). That kind of crazy wind is pretty rare, so don't let that silly story scare you, but it does get windy enough to make the temperatures feel colder than they are, so it's always smart to be prepared.

As for the airport situation... depends. If it's snowing on the day she needs to leave, her flight could very well end up being cancelled or seriously delayed. But the airlines usually do their best to reschedule you to another flight and accommodate you as best they can. If it snowed the day before, but it's not snowing the day of her flight, by then they should have the runways cleared and ready to go, so it shouldn't affect her. No matter what, I always make sure I have plenty of reading materials, music, and anything else I can think of that can occupy me if I'm stuck sitting in the airport for hours (I think my longest stint was in Atlanta... nine hours, ugh).

*shrugs* Not sure if any of that answered your question, but I hope so! Tell your friend if something happens and she gets into a terrible jam, I'll be happy to help her in whatever way I'm able. (Hmm. Does she speak English? We might have a communication problem, because the only German I know is from songs by Schubert and Schumann and Dvořák, heh). Simone, have you ever been to the United States? You should come visit! That would be fun. :D
word count: 615

XrayVixen
Fan

Post by XrayVixen »

Ok Steph, so Olive Garden must've slipped some shrooms into my chicken marsala last week 'cause my eyes were playing BIG-time tricks on me! Either that or I was so tired that I was seeing 3D. I wonder if my dreams were psychedelic that night? Hmm.
Maybe it was the font being different colors/sizes, but oh my! Still, pretty birthday picture :lol:

And HELLO EVERYBODY!!! Man, I really hate not being able to get on here but like once a week :( It's so hard to keep up.
Have a blessed Wednesday Y'all!

Anna
word count: 97
"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, Anna! Glad to see you pop up here, even if it is only once a week or whenever you're available. :D

P.S. Thanks for the MySpace message -- I'll email you a response soon.
word count: 36