Archived threads that are no longer active-this section is read only
TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Re: Site Ideas Thread

Post by TJ4ever »

Great idea, Steph! I´m in!
Simone
word count: 7
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Limited only by one's imagination, which of course is boundless. Sounds fun, Steph. :D
word count: 14

CROactive
Fan

Post by CROactive »

Could we have a beach party, please? Pretty please?

Sandy beach, sound of waves, salty air, warm breeze, torches, minimum clothing (no shoes!)...

I neeeeeeeeeed it desperately!
word count: 27
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members" Groucho Marx

CROactive
Fan

Post by CROactive »

Hi Steph, you've got a message.

Kate
word count: 8
"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members" Groucho Marx

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I have not forgotten the party, bear with me, we will do this, but I'll need to find a time which suits most of us, which probably means I'll have to find a weekend when we aren't all manically busy!

A separate thought. The other board where I moderate has just upgraded and the upgrade has given us the chance to create a much more interesting and personal profile. As I flick through the many sofa pages, I see so much in your bios and lists of pastimes that is well-written and interesting, I think I might ask if this system allows for expansion of profiles (which would include avatars of course). I think we could all be pretty creative, judging by the sofa. Can't do any harm to enquire.
word count: 135
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

OoOoO Steph! that sounds like such a fun idea!! Let's do it!!!
word count: 13

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

Niceeee, that would be awesome and the avatars too!

For the party thing first we should find a weekend suitable for all, as you well said. Then comes the more difficult part, arranging the time. But let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's do this step by step. Perhaps you could start a new thread with some weekend options to see which would be the best one. Just saying!
word count: 71
~ s o f i

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I'm putting this announcement in Site Ideas and Site Issues to draw your full attention. TJ has asked us almost to do a takeover here and become 'management team' ourselves. This may or may not involve a site redesign. Either way, you have an unprecedented opportunity to express what you don't like and do like on the main site and the forums. I will be looking at these threads before I hand over our ideas to TJ. So come on - what do you want? :) *ducks and runs for cover as the avalanche commences*
word count: 95

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Steph, do you still have that email I initially sent to the M team, way back when? I think I still have a copy of it in my inbox here. I don't know if what I said will be relevant or helpful anymore, but perhaps some of it could be useful?

Let me know if you need anything. You know I'll be happy to help in whatever way I can! Organizing tasks, proofing, writing, prepping info, whatever. (And you know I've got the time right now.) :roll:

:D
word count: 89
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

I have just sent off to TJ, Rebecca and Sharon (who has volunteered for at least some if not all of the techie work) all 87 unanswered interview questions (did you realise there were that many?! You're a creative lot), a summary of all our views and requests over the year onsite and a slightly truncated copy, Sherry, of your original email to management. Some suggestions were no longer relevant, so I dropped them, but I have included the essence of nearly all you said at the time (including suggested fonts btw). No worries. You really worked hard on that, I know.

I wonder if all you dear people who congregate here regularly could think whether you know anyone who has recently been absent here but is a member? Would you please mail them and tell them about this so they come and read and consider? If I try to private-message everyone I will fill up my outbox, which only has a 50 limit - and, unless they have opted to get an email telling them a message is waiting, they won't get the note till they actually come here. You using your various contacts will be far more dependable. Just let them know that exciting things are happening of which TJ would like them to be a part!
word count: 221

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Just want to say, good job Sherry on all of the suggestions.
word count: 12
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Ok...another question for everyone...do you prefer light text/dark background or dark text/light background? Or do you think it all depends on the colors used? I don't want to get into specifics about color here, I'm just curious what most on here prefer. :)
word count: 48
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

late_heart
Fan

Post by late_heart »

Hey Sharon,

As for light text on dark vs. dark text on light...predictably I swing both ways. (har har har). The current black on white works fine as far as readability goes, IMO. As long as the light background isn't stark white the reverse would work, too.

Yes, why did I bother telling you that? :)

Btw, I have an affinity for graphic design as far as headers go. I've done several LJ comms, and in a past life I was a print designer. If you think you can use me, drop me a note at ydeningyre2@yahoo.com and I'll shoot you some of my work so you can evaluate it.
word count: 115
...he remains Hodgins of the unstoppable libido, with the constantly coiling Kundalini, the freaky twist of mystic master meets geekzilla. He’s still a poet, a shaman of the weird, and he’s in there, somewhere...

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Yes, very helpful. ;) Actually that is fine, as I was just trying to get an idea about whether people dislike the black or light colors or if anyone cares at all as long as it isn't yellow type on pea green or something.;)

Sharon
word count: 45

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, Sharon. Thank you for the compliment. :D

I don't know which portions of my original email Steph forwarded to you, so I apologize in advance if I'm repeating myself.

I'm not a lover of the black background. If it were layers of black -- like black and grey and off-white or sepia or some sort of 'film noir' style of site with B&W photos and cool fonts -- then it would be a style choice, but as it stands, it's more just a plain black backdrop, you know what I mean?

It's definitely readable (depending on what color font people choose for their text, of course), but in an overall sense, I think it could use some brightening up. As I said in my email, I don't think it exemplifies TJ's exuberant personality as well as it could. Of course, not knowing TJ personally, I could be very wrong, and perhaps his favorite color is black and he finds it to be a cool look for his site. If that's the case, then I shall forever shut my piehole about it. :lol: However, since he hasn't told me to shaddup (yet), I will repeat part of what I said in my email, and if others agree or disagree, please chime in.

What I said was this:

*goes to look at old email, because I do not remember exactly*

"Obviously, I don’t know TJ personally so I can’t make a thorough, knowing assessment on what’s best for his particular site, but my immediate thought when clicking on his site for the first time this summer was that the black and red was too dark, too plain (by that I mean not enough layers or gradations of color -- just black and red), too stark, and the font style [for his name] was too boxy, too ordinary. Because of those pieces (and without a focal-point, opening paragraph of some sort on the main page, welcoming visitors or explaining in general who he is and what he’s about), it didn’t immediately invite me in. Not as well as I think it could, anyway.

For TJ, I think I see bright colors (for background), perhaps a deep blue or a mix of subtle, complementary colors with it so it’s not too overpowering, and maybe a mix of fonts with a little more flair: maybe his name in something more whimsical and fun, but the headers/specific category names in something professional and readable yet distinctive.

The TJ I’ve seen in interviews is fun, smart, professional, energetic and a little silly and flirtatious. I think his site should reflect that, if that’s who he is and what he wants to convey."

End quote. :mrgreen:

Thank you, Steph, for what you said. I did put a lot of thought into that initial email back then; I really did want to help and be honest. (I assume you excluded the parts about specific typos, LOL.) I hope whatever parts you included, you find something useful in them.
xo
Sherry
word count: 517
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Sherry,

I couldn't say what Steph left out either, but all the font suggestions, colors as you said above were there. Nothing about typos was in the e-mail but I would hope that we don't have that sort of problem when/if we change the site and if we do (as no one is perfect), anything can be pointed out right away and WILL be corrrected. I'm a bit of a spelling stickler as far as formal writings so will be happy to have anything like that pointed out should it get by us and make it to the site.

Sharon
word count: 106

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Honest, Sherry, I just left out the specific typo indications (perhaps one comment referring to the look of the original board scheme, before Ben uploaded the upgrade - that was very dismal and we did have problems with reading certain parts of it. This one is distinctly better) and some of your explanations, which were brilliant, but were often addressed specifically to Mteam and conversational. But if anything else strikes you now in addition, get it to Sharon cos she is collecting ideas (to me too if you can, because I just love reading your thoughts!). *cybersmooch*
word count: 96

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Just a quick note to the background color. I myself prefer a light background with dark text. But if it is to much work I am also fine with how it is. Kind of used to it.

Sorry it's late. Can't think of anything else. Maybe this weekend.

Good night!

Simone
word count: 53
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

ThyneAlone wrote:Honest, Sherry, I just left out the specific typo indications (perhaps one comment referring to the look of the original board scheme, before Ben uploaded the upgrade - that was very dismal and we did have problems with reading certain parts of it. This one is distinctly better) and some of your explanations, which were brilliant, but were often addressed specifically to Mteam and conversational. But if anything else strikes you now in addition, get it to Sharon cos she is collecting ideas (to me too if you can, because I just love reading your thoughts!). *cybersmooch*
Oh no, Steph, I hope you know I wasn't questioning you! :oops: I just noticed Sharon putting forth the question to the board about colors and such, and since no one else was privvy to that email you forwarded, I thought I'd start off the discussion with some of my thoughts, in hopes of getting people to contribute their own opinions, maybe help get the ball rolling some way.

Thank you for the cybersmooch (heee) and the compliments -- I love reading your thoughts too! I've no doubt that you and Rebecca and Sharon will help TJ get his site back in gear, however he envisions. *smooches back* :D
word count: 207

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Just carrying on with the ideas, as Sharon has now begun to experiment..

We still need more colour thoughts. Anything we do to the main site will of course be used here as well, and we are not just talking background. Font colours in posts? Titles? Navigation bar? Do you prefer exciting colour clashes or a unified scheme? Specifics, people. This is one of the most concrete ways you can help.

Sharon is looking for quotes to put up on the main page and maybe others as well. Anyone got favourite TJ or Hodgins quotes?

Here's some encouragement; TJ is going to do yet another exclusive photo shoot for us (squee!). He's obviously thinking hard about what we want - let's do likewise.

In anticipation and excitement!
Steph xxx
word count: 131