The Introduce Yourself Thread - Hello everyone!

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Re: The Introduce Yourself Thread - Hello everyone!

Post by ThyneAlone »

Huge welcome to asc! Great to see you here.
It's Thomas Joseph. I can't even remember where I found that out!!!
word count: 23
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

asc
Fan

Post by asc »

Thank you TJ4Ever & ThyneAlone :D

I actually think I have become more addicted to TJ then chocolate now :mrgreen:

Thomas Joseph Thyne... wauw - great name!
word count: 23

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

Hello asc!!

I love new people!! they're so fun! soo...tell us more about yourself!

dohee
word count: 17

asc
Fan

Post by asc »

Quite a welcome comitee on this site - I love it :D

Ehm... something about me... okay... Danish, spends way to much time on the internet on sites such as youtube, myspace and facebook :oops: I always seem to google something :wink:

- moviebuff and watch pretty much every show I come across: Bones, CSI (all 3 of them), Criminal Minds, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Atlantis, The Unit, Prison Break - Christ I could go on
:roll:

Anything else?
word count: 72

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

Welcome asc!

:)

I also spend a lot of time on the internet, it's like a need or sth.. hee.
word count: 20
~ s o f i

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

asc wrote:Ehm... something about me... okay... Danish, spends way to much time on the internet on sites such as youtube, myspace and facebook :oops: I always seem to google something :wink:

- moviebuff and watch pretty much every show I come across: Bones, CSI (all 3 of them), Criminal Minds, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Atlantis, The Unit, Prison Break - Christ I could go on
You think that you spend a lot of time on the internet?? haha. well you obviously havent met me. i check my daily websites everyday. I guess it tells you that i have a lot of free time. :D

and i'm a movie buff too. well more of a tv buff, it that makes sense. i like bones, prison break, lost, house, chuck, supernatural, american idol, etc etc etc.
word count: 131

asc
Fan

Post by asc »

Hehe - well nice to know Im thought of as normal in here :lol:

I just wish TJ was more on TV :( 1 hour a week is far from enough :roll:
word count: 28

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Welcome, asc! :D

Sorry for my delayed response... I've been away for a bit. I'm Sinkwriter72, also known as Sherry.

So, you're from Denmark? And I see we've got another Prison Break fan in you. Very cool. Me, too. How far along are you in viewing the seasons in Denmark? Have you seen all the way through season 3?

Anyway, glad you've joined us here on TJ's site! Make yourself comfortable, pull up a chair in the OffTopic Sofa thread, or any other conversation in which you'd like to jump in. We'd love to hear your thoughts! You know what they say: the more, the merrier. ;)
word count: 113
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

asc
Fan

Post by asc »

Thank you Sinkwriter72 :D

Are you perhaps the "famous" Sinkwriter72 from the TJ interview? :wink:

When it comes to Prison Break I'm a cheat :roll: so the day after an episode is shown in the states - I watch it in Denmark. So I'm right up there :lol:

Over and out for now from ASC (also known as Alice)
word count: 56

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

asc wrote: Are you perhaps the "famous" Sinkwriter72 from the TJ interview?
*laughing*

Well, I don't know how 'famous' I am, but yes, that's me. :mrgreen:

*ponders this a moment*

Come to think of it, the only time I ever felt remotely 'famous' was when I was a senior in high school. I got to sing a solo on TV, backed up by my high school choir. (That be a long time ago, LOL.) I still can't believe my teacher chose me. I wasn't even going to audition for it because 1) I had a bad cold during auditions, and 2) I thought for sure it was going to go to one of two other girls who I felt were stronger singers than I. (I'm not being modest -- they really were stronger singers at the time and usually got the solos. I admired both of them very much. I still wonder where they are now sometimes.) That's really the only time I ever had any sort of 'limelight,' but even then only to my family. They still have it on tape. I look ridiculous with my '80's bangs. (It was December 1989.) Heee.

Isn't TJ fun? I really need to re-read that interview and post some follow-up questions for him. :D

Hey Steph and Rebecca, have you heard anything from the M Team? Any idea when they'll post the remaining portion(s) of that interview? So many of you asked great questions -- I'm curious for his responses.

asc wrote:When it comes to Prison Break I'm a cheat :roll: so the day after an episode is shown in the states - I watch it in Denmark. So I'm right up there :lol:

Over and out for now from ASC (also known as Alice)
Excellent! I thought the final episode was done very well, especially with that Spanish version of 'Crying' playing out the final scene. Powerful stuff. Did you like it?

Nice to meet you, Alice!
word count: 335

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

HOW COULD I MISSED THE FIRST PART OF THE INTERVIEW!!!!??!!
whyyyyyyyyyy??

I'm off to read it!
word count: 17
~ s o f i

Tara
Fan

Re:

Post by Tara »

I love that this is my first time here, and the first person I see on the board is Sinkwriter. Heya girlie! Fancy meeting you here!

(note for the confused: Sherry is an old friend from back in my days serving cheap nutritious meals to the masses of starving theatre majors and sad addicted Rennies as part of a co-op at the Bristol RenFaire, when I was young and foolish and believed wearing historically accurate Elizabethan costume while cooking in cast-iron cauldrons over firepits was a wise choice in Wisconsin in August. I'm better now. No, really.)

Long story short: never caught "Bones" on broadcast but always wanted to because it just looked like something I knew I'd love based on the premise. So I picked up the first two series on DVD a few weeks ago and have devoured them like brain candy. I'm absolutely loving the character dynamics on the series. The A-plots may not always get me, but the character-driven B-plots and C-plots are just such a joy, and I love the whole ensemble.

I grew up on "Scarecrow & Mrs King" and "Remington Steele" and am digging Brennan and Booth on the slow boat to domestic, but it's Hodgins and Angela that *own* me for right now. The writers have such a light touch with it, and it was built so organically from the characters that it just feels so perfect and real. And the performances across the board blow me away.

Hodgins in particular is such a fun character, and I love how genuine he is--even when espousing crackpot conspiracy theories, I can't not love him. I just find TJ such a talented and engaging performer, and from interviews he seems like such a great guy, with an amazing handle on the character and the mechanics of storytelling. I even picked up the Titan guidebook, just to read all the cast interviews and BTS titbits, and went from having fallen in mad love with the characters, to really coming to love this ensemble of actors and producers. The dedication to putting out good stories with well-rounded characters that have truth at their core just sucked me in, and now I'm on the slow path to series 4 along with everyone else, having glutted myself all at once on 3 years' worth of story.

Tho I admit I am still trying to get used to scruffy!Hodgins, instead of beardy!Hodgins. As I did not have 4.5 months between series 2 and 3, but more like 5 minutes while I popped a new DVD in, it was a bit of a shock. I had a brief moment of "Hurrah! Beardy!" when I hit "Player Under Pressure" until I google'd and learnt the truth. I desperately hope the original 2.19 C-plot that was cut and retooled makes it way to the DVDs, tho. I hate knowing we missed a milestone in such a central relationship. I have since decided inside my head that there is probably an hysterical not!honeymoon story involving Angela wanting to see Jack's naked chin that lead to the scruff. It is my coping mechanism, and so far it's working. I still miss Hodgins being beardy, tho. Have not yet adjusted. Give me time.

(There. Now I'm done being shallow. )

Last night's finale broke my heart (as much with the actual storyline, as just knowing we had 8 episodes worth of plot smushed into 2. Okay, not quite, since I'm sure some scripts will get retooled for next year. But you know what I mean. Stupid AMPTP. *sighs*). But I can't wait to see where they go next with the squints, next year.
word count: 633
In a world full of Uma Thurmans, everyone has an inner Janine Garafolo who needs to be taken out dancing every once in a while.

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Welcome Tara! Sorry you have to join us when we're all ranting and raving with outrage over last night's episode. Truly a travesty...

But hey, I was a "Remington Steele" and "Scarecrow and Mrs. King" gal myself back in the day! I even bought myself a little white Volkswagen convertible just like Laura Holt's! I think these were the first truly ship-driven shows of their time. Ah, those were the days...
word count: 75
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Re:

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Tara wrote:I love that this is my first time here, and the first person I see on the board is Sinkwriter. Heya girlie! Fancy meeting you here!
HI!!!! Fancy meeting you here indeed. (And sorry I didn't get to see you at David's birthday brunch on Saturday. Your engaging stories and wit were very much missed.)
Tara wrote:(note for the confused: Sherry is an old friend from back in my days serving cheap nutritious meals to the masses of starving theatre majors and sad addicted Rennies as part of a co-op at the Bristol RenFaire, when I was young and foolish and believed wearing historically accurate Elizabethan costume while cooking in cast-iron cauldrons over firepits was a wise choice in Wisconsin in August. I'm better now. No, really.)
Ah, the grand days at Faire. Wait a minute... I just realized having someone on this board who knows me personally may get me into serious trouble. NOOOOOO! She knows too much! She's seen me flouncing about in layers upon layers of skirts and bodices, flirting with handsome young men with beards and long hair... she knows stories. Crap. I'm in so much trouble. ;)

What can I say? Tara made good soup. And looked really kick-ass in a corset. Wicked, naughty monkey that she was (is). :mrgreen: Though there were days when the Bellas and I pathetically had to scrape the funds together to buy ourselves a crock o' Tara's hearty fare. So to speak. *GRIN* But it was deeelicious. Really hit the spot after expending a ton of energy singing six sets a day. It was necessary fuel, and I still thank thee for it, good mistress. Hee.

I'm ecstatic to see you pop up here. Your ability to have intelligent and knowledgeable discourse on, well, everything will be a welcome addition to our discussions. Please take your time, read about, and join in wherever you feel compelled.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the show and especially TJ's stellar work. That's why we're here. Hodgins is our guy. :D

Tara wrote:Hodgins in particular is such a fun character, and I love how genuine he is--even when espousing crackpot conspiracy theories, I can't not love him. I just find TJ such a talented and engaging performer, and from interviews he seems like such a great guy, with an amazing handle on the character and the mechanics of storytelling. I even picked up the Titan guidebook, just to read all the cast interviews and BTS titbits, and went from having fallen in mad love with the characters, to really coming to love this ensemble of actors and producers.
Hear, hear!
Tara wrote:The dedication to putting out good stories with well-rounded characters that have truth at their core just sucked me in, and now I'm on the slow path to series 4 along with everyone else, having glutted myself all at once on 3 years' worth of story.
Your brain must be on overload by now. ;)

All right, I really need to get off this computer. Yesterday's finale has consumed my thoughts last night and all day today.

Welcome, Tara! Happy you're here. *hugs*
word count: 543
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara »

I think of it as harking back to the 1930s with "Bringing Up Baby" and "His Girl Friday". I don't want to say "screwball comedy" exactly since we are dealing with dead people and neither a leopard nor hiding John Qualen inside a desk, but that's pretty damn close. I haven't seen anything truly in that "Bringing Up Baby" vein since "Lois & Clark" and I think Boreanaz makes a better Cary Grant than anyone besides Cary Grant. I'm incredibly impressed with his performance in "Bones". I really think of Bones as an updated "Scarecrow & Mrs King" for the 21st century. Particularly after DB's interview where he said he'd love to series to end with pretty much the last shot of the 'do not disturb' sign at the end of "Do You take This Spy?"

I figure, all of us who grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, we're the target audience for a "Moonlighting 2.0" sort of series--especially in a post-"X-files" universe. And the "Bones" writing team seem far too smart to fall for the pitfalls those series did by resorting to sad tricks to keep characters apart, in an attempt to prolong the UST beyond what the story can bear without quality and character dynamics disintegrating. What I love is the show's instincts when it comes to a natural pace of romantic relationships as well as platonic friendships.

I'm really enjoying the steady--if glacial--progress of Brennan and Booth, while I've had my socks blown off by Hodgins and Angela. And I adore how adept Hart Hanson & Co are at reinventing the Story Dice plots I grew up with. So far we've had Amnesia, Undercover-Couple-in-Vegas, and Surprise Infant Minding. I fully expect Handcuffed Together, Undercover As Newlyweds in the Suburbs, and Temporary Blindness in the future. And being me, I'm looking forward to them. Because there is a reason those tropes are entertaining when done well, and I'm totally digging them.

ETA: Oh oh oh! I forgot "Trapped in an Elevator/Cave In/Snowed Into a Cabin". Talk about doing a bottle show.

I cut series 3 a HUGE amount of slack because of the three arcs having to be seriously compressed for time. I think the Max Keenan arc was wrapped up much more cleanly and effectively than the Gormagon arc, possibly *because* we are emotionally invested in Tempe so we care more about the outcome. Gormagon we don't care about as much because it's a puzzle (and like the stand-alone episode A-plots) can sustain interest as a puzzle for the sake of enjoying puzzles. But it doesn't tie directly into the characters relationships until the dénouement. So we have no emotional investment in solving the puzzle until the very last act.

I almost wish they had left "Wannabe in the Weeds" as the finale, or just re-shot the ending of "Wannabe" to not include Pam, to pace the pipe-laying plot elements of Act I of "Pain in the Heart" better, but I know they made the choices they felt they had to make, and in a lot of cases probably had no choice but to make. But I also think that there were some fantastic drama and character moments in there as well, and I'm sure the repercussions will be explored next year with all the remaining characters. There's a huge hole in their family, and that's going to affect people. particularly Hodgins and Angela. Because it was his best friend, and Angela will have to work through how *her* best friend was almost killed by someone she loved like a little brother. With teeth shrapnel, no less.

There is PLENTY of story, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

But I've come to trust the casting decisions, even if I genuinely miss characters. It broke my heart when I realised Dr Goodman was gone at the end of series 1, but it made sense for the sake of the story to create tension and conflict in the lab, to keep the story moving forward. And Cam adds so much to that dynamic, and as much as I miss Goodman, I recognise aspects of the story and characters are stronger for that decision.

Right now, I'm in mourning for the characters, but I'm not denying that as much as it hurts to lose a member of the fictional family (and IRL, much much worse I'm sure for the actors to lose a friend and co-worker), the choice was made I'm sure to strengthen the story and keep it moving forward. I just blame the strike (and when I say "blame" I definitely blame the studios for stalling, not the WGA for striking) for us losing 8 episodes worth of plot to logically get us to the point we landed at--cos it made it feel like some things came out of nowhere, because there wasn't the luxury of seeding it slowly over time. And season finales need payoffs and shake-ups, and events. Which I'm sure is why "Wannabe" was structured to serve as a season finale, had production had not resumed. But when production did resume, it must have been a Herculean effort to find a way to try and make it work--and parts of it did work. Just not all of it, for me as a viewer. Not the performances--those were great. For me, it was purely structure and pacing.

By losing potentially 6 hours of story, and compressing it into 2 episodes, we lost a lot of what needed to believe what was happening was in character and inevitable. Had they had time, I do genuinely believe that would have been the case.

(Okay, to a point. I also genuinely believe I could have bought that arc a lot better had it stayed anti-secret-society-secret-society-serial killer, without adding the Sith-Lord-There-Are-Always-Two-Cannibals aspect. That just struck me as OTT. But that's just me.)

For now, I'm hoping that what we would have seen, in series 3, to make it work, they will do their best to work into series 4, to retroactively make the end of series 3 work. And I really want to see these characters to continue to evolve, and be affected by their work and relationships, and grow as people. And, you know, fight crime. And I think that's what we'll get. So I'm hanging in there. For me, it's a whirlwind romance. But it's gotta be harder when it's a 3 year committed relationship and you co-own a sofa and cat and all the iTunes playlists have comingled. Had I been there from day 1, I'm sure I'd be having different reactions, in terms of scale. I'm still in mad summer fling territory, where you have a hard time remembering who danced with whom and when, thanks to the tropical drinks.

Also, erm... I don't know what the spoiler rules of this thread or board are, so I'm trying REALLY hard to be vague. But please do let me know if I'm breaking major taboos. It's my first time. be gentle!

ETA: OMG hey Sherry! I am insane. but you knew that.
word count: 1252
In a world full of Uma Thurmans, everyone has an inner Janine Garafolo who needs to be taken out dancing every once in a while.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Wow! Tara! Welcome! I love that we have yet another talented intellectual on board here! I'm Steph, one of the mods here, and as yet *hangs head in shame* have not had time to cobble together a set of rules. Generally, I'd keep commentary on the eps either in the Anticipation forum (if it's not been shown in the US yet), or just to the Bones forum, where people who have not seen the episodes yet know that those who have will be discussing them - so they can avoid them if they don't want to be spoiled. In the welcome forum feel free to discuss anything and everything about yourself - I think you have fulfilled that criterion with admirable thoroughness. If I think something is totally out of whack I'll inform you and move it to another forum. Otherwise, the usual stuff: respect each other, keep off promotion of personal political and religious beliefs and just remember it's all about TJ. I have made some amazing friends here.

I can't stay on any longer because I am on my laptop at work and I really should be making myself useful. Consider yourself massively welcomed and appreciated, and keep posting!
word count: 206
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara »

I promise--nothing intellectual about me. I'm just a fiction junkie, with a book habit that rivals heroin.

At lunch today, I'll edit the "Pain in the Heart" stuff out of my above posts and move it to the "Bones" forum, if you think I ought to? Sorry about that.
word count: 52

late_heart
Fan

Post by late_heart »

Hey Tara and asc...

Sorry I'm late welcoming you (hence my handle; late for everything, except matters of the heart)-- just wanted to pop on and say how glad I am that you're here!!

And Tara... wow. It's so neat to have a RL chum of the Divine Ms. S2 among us! :D I'll have to corner you and get the scoop on those Ren days...

~~A
word count: 70
...he remains Hodgins of the unstoppable libido, with the constantly coiling Kundalini, the freaky twist of mystic master meets geekzilla. He’s still a poet, a shaman of the weird, and he’s in there, somewhere...

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hey! What's happening here?

RE: My Ren Faire days...

She knows NOTHING! Nothing, I tell you! :mrgreen:

Right, Tara? Um, hello? Right?! *starting to sweat*

Now I'm trying to think back, did I behave myself in those days? What did it look like to someone outside myself? Uh-oh...

*clams up, for now* :D

P.S. That nickname makes me giggle, late_heart. You're wacky! Heee. And thanks!
word count: 69

stonie
Fan

Post by stonie »

hi,
I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself.
I'm 18 and I'm living in germany (so sorry for my bad english writing skills :? )

I started to watch bones because I was a huge angel and therefor david boreanaz fan.
And well, while I enjoy all the booth brennan bickering, I actually fell in love with TJ's character Hodgins :D
word count: 64