Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Steph and Rebecca: anything we can do to help Karen? If anything needs to be organized in some way, please do let me know if I can assist.

Sharon, you're back! Yay! So glad! :D
(P.S. More on my moving situation when I come back.)

Marie... delicious responses that deserve my full attention. I promise, I'll be back to respond fully. :mrgreen:

Until then, hugs to you all.
word count: 69
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

mariposa wrote:Hi there, skftex. We were online at the same time!

Hi Marie, please call me Sharon. :) Yes we were online at the same time, usually its just me, but I think the two of us are actually in the same time zone which is the problem with catching some of the others on here.
mariposa wrote:My sympathies to you ... I HATE Calculus, with a passion. Good for you - keep trucking on!

Thanks for the Calculus sympathy, funny I didn't hate my first calculus class (I have to take three) but this one is tough. They do say it is the hardest of the three and I certainly hope so!
mariposa wrote:
BTW, I love the graphic in your signature ... did you create it? Very cool, either way!

Thank you, yes, I made it. I like to play with graphics in my spare time. I haven't done much with it lately, but I enjoy it and if anyone wants some sort of sig, feel free to let me know. :)

mariposa wrote:How great that we're all brought together by our fanship of TJ! Speaking of which ... this site has had no admin action since Feb ... any word on when that might change? Just curious!

Marie
Yes this site is great that it can bring so many of us TJ fans together.

Sharon
word count: 227
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Hi Steph and Simone and Sherry (ever notice how many of us are S names on here? LOL) Thanks for the welcome back! :)

Steph, sorry to hear about your son's club but glad he can still play with the Sunday group. I know you've said how much he loves it.

Simone, I did manage a short message to you on myspace. I'm kind of playing hooky from studying today so spending lots of time on the computer!

Sherry, I'll be back to read more about moving. My situation and reason for moving back to my hometown really was similar to yours, the company I worked for went out of business and after a year of job searching I just needed to make a change as far as finances (so no more living in my nice little townhouse apartment. Sigh. Anyway, going to school became my solution and it is cheaper to live with a relative for me.

Well I think I'm gonna go surf channels on the TV for awhile.

Sharon
word count: 176
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

mariposa
Fan

Post by mariposa »

ThyneAlone wrote: I'll just post this so Marie knows I'm alive, then I'll tell you about it all.

Oh thank you, Steph!! I was about to send Booth in after you. :lol:

HUGS to you right now. I'll post this and read the details on today.

M
word count: 50
Mariposa
"More matter with less art." (Gertrude, in Hamlet, Act II, scene ii)

mariposa
Fan

Post by mariposa »

mariposa wrote:
ThyneAlone wrote: I'll just post this so Marie knows I'm alive, then I'll tell you about it all.

On second read, Steph, after a day like that ... are you SURE you're alive? WOW - I got tired just reading about it. Maybe your hubby should be an administrator on here since he can juggle a gazillion balls, LOL! Thanks for the update on Karen and the management team ... I know they're swamped and I see that as a good thing. I agree with Sherry, though, if there's anything SHE can do - I volunteer her! LOL! What? You thought I was actually going to volunteer myself? Oh! Sorry - maybe another time. :wink: JK!

Sorry to hear about the farewell to the club. Seasons always end ... but it's always bittersweet, isn't it? Will it free up some time for you this summer? Isn't it interesting how shoes always go kaput the day you need them to hold together one more time? :lol:

No hurry on replying to ANYTHING I write. This weekend just happened to be one with lots of free time to write and get caught up. Next weekend, will be another story. The ebb and flow of life ...

I'll see you around on here ... I have free time this upcoming week, but I also need to be spending much of it clearing out my basement bedrooms as my parents are coming to visit for a week in August. I am the queen of procrastination and the piles in there have been staring at me for months. Now, my parents' visit is REQUIRING me to take some action, but I'll start tomorrow! :lol: :lol: :lol:
word count: 281
Mariposa

mariposa
Fan

Post by mariposa »

skftex wrote:
mariposa wrote:Hi there, skftex. We were online at the same time!
[/color]
Hi Marie, please call me Sharon. :) Yes we were online at the same time, usually its just me, but I think the two of us are actually in the same time zone which is the problem with catching some of the others on here.

Yes, Sharon, I caught your real name after Simone posted it in reply to you on the newcomer thread. :lol: So ... you're from Texas ... was it as hot for you today as it was for us? I believe we were supposed to hit 100 and it felt quite close to me. Thank God for AC!

Ooooo, I'll have to think about what kind of graphic I'd want to have on here. That was sweet of you to offer. Maybe after you finish your calculus class you can create some nifty ones for us (you and Sofi can collaborate!). I love the recent pics of TJ in his blue shirt. My son has eyes like him and even now, at 15 months, people stop me to comment on his eyes ... I think he'll be a lady killer (the good, chivalrous kind!) someday. Of course, I, on the other hand, am much more like a Janene Garofalo than an Uma Thurman! (That was more for Tara and Sherry, but maybe you've seen "The Truth About Cats and Dogs?").

Good night, brave math student!
Marie

AAARGH!!! What's with the coding showing up on my quotes? Ok, breathing and moving on ... it's Saturday night (movie night!) and I'm not going to worry about it.
word count: 276
Mariposa

mariposa
Fan

Post by mariposa »

Tara/Sherry: I am always up for a good Cyrano flick! So glad I stumbled across the movie this past week. I had never heard of it before ... it is over 10 years old - hard to believe! Sherry, I agree with all you said about what gets noticed in people ... that's why a wise one said we can't judge a book by its cover ... because it's human nature to do so!

Sofi: I chatted online with my friend in Bs. As. tonight. They (whole family) are all sick ... guess it's going around, huh? Are you escaping it? I have a seemingly random question for you about the culture there, but trust me, it's going somewhere important! What is the general sentiment among Portenos (can't find my Spanish N, sorry!) about Africans and African-Americans? Jordan (my husband) and I were discussing that tonight as we were chatting about the possibility of adopting children of other races before we move down there. The sibling group we heard about today are three African-American sisters. He wants to make sure we don't charge ahead into bringing children into our family who could be shunned in that culture ... and we were there for only 9 days ... too hard to know after such a short time! It's an international metropolis for sure, but you never know what another culture is really like until you live in it for a time, or someone just flat out tells you! My general take on that is we get the kids we're meant to have and we don't worry about the future since none of us know it anyway ... but I do see his point about being mindful and informed before we move forward since our sights are set on Bs. As. - he wants to make sure we have the best possible scenario for any kids we'd bring into our family. Make sense? If we were going to settle here - no problem. If anyone had an issue with me having a black or brown child - I'd just beat them up! Just kidding. :lol: Sigh, I have a lot to learn about Argentine culture still. Thanks for tutoring me. :D

In college, I had a friend who was going on and on about how he thouht it was a sin to have an interracial marriage and I just sat there in shock about what he was saying. Then when he was done with his foolish ranting and raving, I looked him squarely in the eyes and said, "So, in other words, you're saying I'm a product of a sinful union because I'm half-Filipino and half-Italian." He was stunned. He had no idea I was a "mixed race" woman. Whatever! The way the world is these days, it's probably rare NOT to have mixed blood of any kind ... and I think it makes life more interesting ... just look at this group!

Off my soapbox now!

Gonna go watch some more ALIAS S1. I think I'm going to ask for the Bones DVD's for Christmas!!!

Marie
word count: 523
Mariposa

mariposa
Fan

Post by mariposa »

Ok, had one teeny tiny short post (Eat it up! Miracles do happen!).

Some random questions I thought would be fun to answer on the sofa whenever you have a chance to stop by. They'd be questions I'd love to ask TJ too!

1. Summer Olympics are just around the corner! I'll be watching the following sporting events ...

2. Life is short, so ... (eat dessert first has been taken, sorry!)

3. Favorite mythical (or real) wive's tale?

4. In my nighttime dreams, I'm usually ...

5. Great alternatives to "TJ" (Thomas Joseph):

Marie
word count: 97
Mariposa

mariposa
Fan

Post by mariposa »

1. Summer Olympics are just around the corner! I'll be watching the following sporting events ...

Gymnastics, track & field (hubby was a decathlete when I was dating him in college), swimming

2. Life is short, so ...

Keep your list of regrets shorter.

3. Favorite mythical (or real) wive's tale?

Don't cross your eyes when the wind is blowing - you'll never uncross them (my mom used to say it ALL THE TIME to us kids!).

4. In my nighttime dreams, I'm usually ...

Forgetting my lines to the play (even though I knew them minutes ago) or missing the bus, event, etc. I also dream about losing things a lot and not being able to find them. Hmmm ...

5. Great alternatives to "TJ" (Thomas Joseph):

Totally Jazzy, Tough Jollies, Thoughtful Jack

Marie
word count: 134
Mariposa

mariposa
Fan

Post by mariposa »

Hi Sherry! You're logging on as I'm logging off. Good night! Penny for your thoughts - tomorrow! :lol:

Ciao!
Marie
word count: 20
Mariposa

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, Marie!

Yep, just popping in to read people's messages as I unwind for the night. I won't be on long. And I definitely don't have enough energy left to write back yet -- but you've given me such wonderful food for thought. I'll be back tomorrow to fully respond. Pennies galore! Until then... sweet dreams! :D

And Late_heart, if you're reading this, I thank you for your lovely, thought-provoking emails. It's been a weird week, but you're in my thoughts and I'll definitely comment tomorrow! Expect to see some emails in your inbox, okay? xo

~ Sherry
word count: 106
I want to thank anyone who spends part of their day creating [& sharing their experience]. I don't care if it's a book, a film, a painting, a dance, a piece of theater, a piece of music… I think this world would be unlivable without art. ~ S. Soderbergh

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Hi there! Really quiet around here.
Most members of my family are on vacation and I am a bit bored. Maybe I'm gonna watch "X-Files" in the movies today.
I'll be online later again today.

Bye,
Simone.
word count: 40
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

English Al
Fan

Post by English Al »

Surprisingly I've been fairly busy.

Watched the first episode of series 3 again last night though. Might go and post about it.
word count: 23

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Yeah, the new "X-Files"-movie. A bit disappointing...well, at least for fans of the TV-series. I was a big fan of the X-Files! And seeing Mulder and Scully again after so many years and on the big screen was great. But I thought it was more CSI than X-Files. Not what I expected. Of course they had to make it for everybody and not even for fans but I was hoping for a bit more clues - maybe about their son William or Mulders sister. They were mentioned but only randomly.
Well, ok, I wasn't bored but it was not what I expected from a "X-Files" movie.
And, as it was really hot here today, it was nice to sit in an air-conditioned movie theater and watch David Duchovny for about 90 minutes! :D

Rebecca, you are a big fan, too. What do you think about this movie?

It's 1am in Germany. I am so tired! I'll go to bed now.

Good night!

Simone
word count: 172
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Haven't seen the X-files movie yet and I am going to read a few more reviews before I go, because as that stands it seems slightly disappointing. Mind you, I was a fan of the early seasons and didn't really like the later arcs. We'll see! Other X-fans, I await your thoughts.

Just had to say sorry for being away from you all for so long. It has been very quiet here I see, so I didn't have too much to catch up with. We have been clearing up the house for half the week and then entertaining some old uni friends for a few days. Trying to discipline myself to get online, especially as our Internet keeps going down, has been difficult! These friends are of that rare ilk with whom one is entirely comfortable. We fall immediately back into the camaraderie as if we had never been away from each other. As we are all so busy with jobs and families and they, like most of our ex-university associates, live down in Hampshire, this is no mean feat - we last saw them 2 years ago, I think! The weather has been wonderfully kind. We have eaten outside in glorious sunshine most of the time, and yesterday we took them down to the beach via the red squirrel reserve in our area. I actually picked up some sun - an infrequent event. The kids have had fun too; their 16-year-old daughter shares son no. 2's passion for Doctor Who and a general interest in computer games, leaving us plenty of time to interface with the adults.

I imagine I will have trouble getting into gear this holiday. I have coursework to mark, a couple of booklets to redraft and two courses I am teaching next year to research and organise, plus of course the dreaded clear up in our office at school. The lure of catching up with friends is far too attractive, and I keep putting off those less-than-enjoyable tasks. Luckily my jobs here are more fun. I still need to pursue with Ben our webmaster the subject of chat possibilities and update our question lists with Karen (and give a gentle nudge about all the other things that need updating and changing onsite - we do need to keep working on that and I promise I will continue to offer your assistance).

Looking forward to hearing how you have all been spending your last week or so (Alan, how have you managed to get in here with a newborn demanding your attention??!) - hope everything is well with you and that you are having positive creative thoughts and a good time!
word count: 453
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

English Al
Fan

Post by English Al »

The newborn is asleep most of the time, but the other two are keeping us busy as well. Things haven't changed much, so I get on the net as much as I did before, but try to stay away from it as much as possible.

I was never a fan of the X-Files when the show was on, so have no intention to watch the flop film. Apparently it only made 2 Million in its first day, compared to "The Dark Knight" which netter over 79 million (not sure if either amount is pounds or dollars).
word count: 98

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Saw the XF movie on Saturday with friends. As is apparently my way, I'm still digesting it before I can fully comment. :D

Glad to see people popping in. Things have been busy for me too, so regrettably I've gotten behind on my posting here.

Had a job interview last week. The first one in months. They said they loved me, thought my talents were wonderful and fit well with what they needed for their office, but -- you knew there was a 'but' coming, didn't you? -- there was one qualification I did not have that they thought about after the fact and decided it was the one thing that they needed most. So... I'm out of the running for the job after all.

*sigh*

At least I got some more interviewing practice in. It will help me to be less nervous about touting my own skills. (I hate that part.)

In the meantime, back to the drawing board.

I've already applied for some more jobs. Waiting to hear anything. I wonder if I should go back to school. I hate living in Limbo Land, wondering what the hell has become of my life and where I'm supposed to go next. I want to take action -- I just don't know where to go. :?
word count: 218

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:Had a job interview last week. The first one in months. They said they loved me, thought my talents were wonderful and fit well with what they needed for their office, but -- you knew there was a 'but' coming, didn't you? -- there was one qualification I did not have that they thought about after the fact and decided it was the one thing that they needed most. So... I'm out of the running for the job after all.
I'm so sorry, Sherry. There is nothing more frustrating than to be told you're great, BUT (and that seems to be what they always do, as son no.1 is discovering in his dispiriting attempts to land even holiday employment). That job is waiting for you somewhere. The truth is out there! In the meantime, I too am frustrated at not being able to offer practical support -that's the trouble with the Net - :x Consider yourself taken out for a virtual meal, friendly shoulder and retail therapy. I shouldn't have tagged on that perky closing line enjoining creativity and positive thinking - it must be so hard for you just now.
Sinkwriter72 wrote:At least I got some more interviewing practice in. It will help me to be less nervous about touting my own skills. (I hate that part.)
Yep, I hate that too and it does take practice. I have felt so false enumerating my talents to apply for promotion. But if I actually sit down and make a list of my good points, the fact is I would be quite happy to employ someone with that experience, interest and, in my last and successful application, passion. It's just the confidence and self esteem to put it over which need bulking up.
Sinkwriter72 wrote:I hate living in Limbo Land, wondering what the hell has become of my life and where I'm supposed to go next. I want to take action -- I just don't know where to go. :?
Directionless is a horrible place to be, but at least thinking about returning to school shows your usual forward thinking, intelligence, desire to make the best of whatever and reasoning out what's good for you. What kind of jobs are you actually applying for?

Can't do more than offer discussion and sympathy - I think about you daily. But 30 years ago I wrote a rather banal semi-poem which my brother found comforting when he was down.

THINK.
When, sometimes, you feel depressed,
Think of all the people around you who love you -
That is, of all you have achieved in living -
And of the determination which has got you this far -
That is, of all you have achieved for yourself -
And all that you could achieve in every way, as a human being,
For true limits do not exist.
Rememeber that no-one else will ever accomplish the same things
That lie behind you and before you.
Think of all this
And be proud.

Teenage mush I know, but it's one way of expressing what I want to say to you. Good luck.

Steph x
word count: 525
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

ThyneAlone wrote: I'm so sorry, Sherry. There is nothing more frustrating than to be told you're great, BUT (and that seems to be what they always do, as son no.1 is discovering in his dispiriting attempts to land even holiday employment). That job is waiting for you somewhere.

I sure hope so.

I admit, I wallowed for an evening after I got the phone call. But the ironic funny part was, I didn't even think I wanted the job that badly. It wasn't really in an arena that interested me (quite frankly, the thought of pouring my energies and dedication into this particular subject bored the hell out of me), but there were decent aspects to having the job, which is why I bothered to apply in the first place. I think I just didn't realize how badly I wanted to get back out on my own, into my own place, living my own schedule, doing my own thing, making my own choices again. I think I was mourning the pleasant daydream that I might be able to take that step forward at last. To get out of Limbo Land and find some purpose again. Plus, it had been so nice to have someone actually give me (and my resume) the time of day, to ask me questions and seem genuinely interested in what I had to offer. So, yes, I found myself depressed that evening, more than I thought I would be. It wasn't the job itself; I think it was the potential it had, to help me move forward. I felt stuck again.

And I know that I'm not the only one suffering through this. Of all my colleagues (everyone who got laid off), only a very small handful have found new jobs. The rest of us are still searching and applying and waiting for a chance to show what we can do. It's incredibly frustrating and depressing for everyone. Sounds like your son's going through it too. I hope he finds what he needs very soon.

ThyneAlone wrote: Consider yourself taken out for a virtual meal, friendly shoulder and retail therapy. I shouldn't have tagged on that perky closing line enjoining creativity and positive thinking - it must be so hard for you just now.
Don't be silly. *smiles* Along with looking for a job, I am in need of positive thoughts, especially creative ones. I've been wanting to finish editing a short story for a while now, as well as start up a more productive writing schedule, but I just... feel uninspired. Uninvigorated. A little bit empty. Blank.

I suppose if I force myself to sit down and write anything... that might stir up some creativity and reinvigorate my brain and get the ideas flowing again. Perhaps it will remind me why I love to write. But right now I seem to be lacking the confidence to even try. I keep talking myself out of it, like I don't have enough talent so why should I bother, which is a terrible way to think.

So, personally, I think your cheery closing line may be just the kind of positive thoughts I need to absorb. I've been wallowing in frustrated, lost, negative ones for far too long.

P.S. Thanks very much for the virtual meal and the friendly shoulder. Much appreciated! :D

ThyneAlone wrote: But if I actually sit down and make a list of my good points, the fact is I would be quite happy to employ someone with that experience, interest and, in my last and successful application, passion. It's just the confidence and self esteem to put it over which need bulking up.
Exactly.

ThyneAlone wrote:
Directionless is a horrible place to be, but at least thinking about returning to school shows your usual forward thinking, intelligence, desire to make the best of whatever and reasoning out what's good for you. What kind of jobs are you actually applying for?
Thanks, Steph. I take comfort in those words.

What am I applying for? At this point, almost everything and anything. Various types of office jobs, mainly, but in a large variety of settings. I've been looking for something that will do a little more than just pay the bills, plus have some stable hours this time around (I've spent too much of my life completely out of balance, with work hours overwhelming everything else, so it would be really great to have something with generally 'set' hours). Unless I can find a job that I have some passion for, in which case I probably wouldn't mind putting in the extra time.

I remember years ago I was working for a friend's business -- we're talking 12 to 13 hour days, getting home very late at night, working my butt off -- and though I enjoyed the work and I liked contributing to my friend's passion, I was still miserable because I was overworked and sometimes underappreciated. I was really tired. But then I auditioned for a weekend summer job as a singer for a Ren Faire group, and got the part. Even though I was not only working the insane hours during the regular work week while also at the Faire on weekends from 8am to 8pm -- which was an exhausting schedule overall -- my friend/boss said she'd never seen me happier or more energized. And I realized, it was because I was doing something I loved. There's value in that. I think it's really important.

I keep thinking about that now. I'm in this wacky, uncomfortable position where the economy here is horrible, and unemployment rates are increasing, and it's very difficult for most people to find a job. So I think we're all looking for whatever we can get, at this point. But I worry at the same time that I'll end up in a position of misery because once again I'll be doing something to pay the bills but not fulfill me or my passionate interests. I don't want to hate my life.

ThyneAlone wrote: Can't do more than offer discussion and sympathy - I think about you daily. But 30 years ago I wrote a rather banal semi-poem which my brother found comforting when he was down.
Well, it made me cry. :mrgreen: It was very moving, Steph. Thank you for sharing your beautiful poetry with me. I appreciate it more than I can say.

xo
Sherry
aka Sinkwriter72
word count: 1098

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

Sorry guys. i havent been on in a long long time. I just got back from Chicago. My summer has been a little busy. And school starts soon. :shock:

Sherry, I'm really sorry to hear about the position you are in right now. I can not talk from experience, but i have a family member who is in a similar situation, and i know that this is not an easy time. i truly wish you the best of luck.
word count: 79