Offtopic Sofa Time

New arrivals, including the hello threads and the sofa.
skftex
TJ Team Validator

Re: Offtopic Sofa Time

Post by skftex »

Is the job something you'll be excited about doing? I know at this point it probably doesn't matter quite so much, but hoping you get something you'll enjoy. :)

I was watching episodes of The West Wing last night too! I'm still in my run of watching it all from the beginning, school in the summer kind of held me up a little. Anyway, I'm up to season 6 "Freedonia". Not my favorite season but I decided I'd watch it all with no skipping of episodes.
word count: 91
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

IntempestaNox
Fan

Post by IntempestaNox »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:Sounds like fun, Jennifer! When does the event take place?

P.S. A bit of news for you all... I have another job interview tomorrow. :shock:
It'll be in early December. Temps should be in the 70's or low 80's by then, and 60's at night. Hopefully no rain. Perfect for gallavanting around a beach and port of call/fort.

Good luck Sherry on the job interview! I bet you'll do great. Sending good vibes your way. Image

Had a red flag pop up this afternoon when I got an email from college on my graduation. They snafu'd and didn't get my grad application to the right place when I originally submitted it (one of many snafus they've done). I redid the form though, and everything's squared away now. Whew!
word count: 139
Jennifer
Intempesta Nox >> The Dead of Night
"Uh oh. You have but-face."

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

skftex wrote:
Is the job something you'll be excited about doing? I know at this point it probably doesn't matter quite so much, but hoping you get something you'll enjoy. :)
I wouldn't say I'd find it exciting, but like you said, I need the money so it doesn't matter at this time; plus, the job's ad seemed promising on a general level, and it seemed like it would offer some stability of hours that I haven't had in years. That would be nice. And it would give me time in my life to do some things that I'd like to make more time for, especially creative activities. We'll see. I'll find out more job details when I go for the interview tomorrow. She wanted to discuss it with me then. Here's hoping!
skftex wrote:
I was watching episodes of The West Wing last night too! ... I'm up to season 6 "Freedonia". Not my favorite season but I decided I'd watch it all with no skipping of episodes.
I've just started, so last night it was "The Crackpots and These Women" and "Mr. Willis of Ohio." Great stuff, Sharon, great stuff.

Thanks for the good vibes, Jen! I'll take as many as I can get! :D
word count: 220

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:

I wouldn't say I'd find it exciting, but like you said, I need the money so it doesn't matter at this time; plus, the job's ad seemed promising on a general level, and it seemed like it would offer some stability of hours that I haven't had in years. That would be nice. And it would give me time in my life to do some things that I'd like to make more time for, especially creative activities. We'll see. I'll find out more job details when I go for the interview tomorrow. She wanted to discuss it with me then. Here's hoping!
I definitely understand that! Having worked odd hours most of my working life I know how it is to just want regular hours. Hope things go well for you. :)
Sinkwriter72 wrote:

I've just started, so last night it was "The Crackpots and These Women" and "Mr. Willis of Ohio." Great stuff, Sharon, great stuff.
Oooooooo "Mr. Willis of Ohio" is one of my favorite episodes. Lots of Toby in that one isn't there? And I just LOVE Mr. Willis, I want to hug him. :mrgreen:

"The Crackpots and These Women" is the one they give Josh the card isn't it? Good insight into Josh/Donna in that one. You know I love the Josh/Donna stuff! :lol:

Sharon
word count: 232
Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing.-Camille Pissarro

sofilps
Super Fan

Post by sofilps »

Sinkwriter72 wrote:Have you already met Lindsay's 'evil hand'? :mrgreen:
Oh yeah, and he's already gone too. I heard him sing, I heard Angel sing too (OUCH!) and dance.. (OUCH! AGAIN) :p it was fun. And Lindsay does have a nice voice, I mean, Christian. I'll definitely check out his band Ellen, thanks for the info. ;) and I didn't noticed about the guy from Lost, basically because I never watched one single episode LOL, buut it's an interesting thing, there are sooo many actors that worked on one of Angel's episodes, (without going too far, TJ here appeared in the 5th season if I'm not mistaken, right?).
Sinkwriter72 wrote:P.S. A bit of news for you all... I have another job interview tomorrow. :shock:
Sherry! Have the bests of the lucks tomorrow, or today, probably you'll read this after your interview, and here it's very late so...but I'll be thinking of you! ;)

I'm so tired, next week I have to sit for 4 of my last 5 High School exams and I'm studying a lot for them and this week I started working at my brother's catering company and it's been exhausting. It's fun, and new, because I never had a real job before, but exhausting. Basically they call me when they need one more waitress for their events. Last sunday was the Reebok 10 k marathon and it was a breakfast (6am. in the morning), today they called me to see if I could cover a girl who couldn't at last minute (it was a sort of cocktail in one of Levi's stores), and tomorrow and on Saturday I also have cocktails in the UCA (Catholic University of Argentina). So, to sum it up it's great because they pay me after the event and I love it because I neeed money money money to buy some things I want, and specially because I have to raise a large sum for my up coming trip to Spain.

Anyway....good luck Sherry again!
word count: 350
~ s o f i

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

Sherry, all the best for the job interview! Still have my fingers crossed! My co-workers look at me very strangely because of that! :D But hey, if it helps! :)

More later when I am at home!

Simone
word count: 37
Angela: Well, what about love? What do you have to say about love?
Hodgins: It´s overrated-most of the time :-)

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Hey Sherry,

Hope the interview went well for you today--Keep the faith!
word count: 13
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

All I can say is... I have no idea.

The interviewer said she received over 120 resumes for this position, many without the qualifications they were looking for, but that mine seemed to encompass a bit of everything they needed. That may work in my favor. However, I think I was one of the first to be interviewed, so she wants to take the next week or so to narrow down the choices. She said she may be calling me for a second interview after that. Either way, she said she'd let me know.

She talked with me for a good hour and a half. Asked me many, many questions. I think I answered some well. For others, I thought of better, stronger answers on my drive back home. *grumble* I think she liked me, but I really have no gut feeling about what way this is going to go. I may not even hear anything for the next two weeks. *sigh* All I can do is wait and see, and keep applying for other jobs in the meantime, just in case this one doesn't work out.

I felt comfortable talking with her throughout the interview, but I must have been holding some anxiety and nervousness deep within because after I got home, I felt all tense, my shoulders ached, and I felt mentally exhausted. I went to bed around 10:30 last night, and -- aside from one quick eye open around 5:30 am -- I didn't wake up until 9 am! I slept hard, had strange dreams, and when I woke up, I felt drained, like I'd been drugged the night before. I felt wiped out.

I ended up working out this morning, just to wake myself up and loosen up tense muscles and shake off the dead weight feeling. I think it helped.

Wacky, huh? :D

A HUGE thanks to all of you and your good luck vibes! I really appreciated the support! xoxoo
word count: 329

bonesaddict11
Super Fan

Post by bonesaddict11 »

IntempestaNox wrote:You went to Chicago recently? Did you happen to go to the Art Institute (as seen in Ferris Bueller)? I went to Chicago for the first time back in early June for a business trip, and managed to fit in a few evening jaunts to places of interest, including AI. Surprisingly (for me), it was free on Thursday and Friday evenings to the public at the time.
Thats the one i went to!! The free one on friday evening. Haha. Small world.

ShErRy, Hope you get good news! I wish you the best of luck!!! :D
word count: 97

begolden
Conspiracy Theorist

Post by begolden »

Poor Sherry!

As if interviewing isn't stressful enough, now you have to play the waiting game--that's always the worst part of getting a job!
word count: 27
Fan of the Orgasmic Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I feel like I've spent this entire year waiting. :D

Such is life, as my mother would say. :roll:

*hugs Rebecca & Dohee for the kind commiseration and cheer*
word count: 27

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

I don't know if anybody have or have not watched DOCTOR WHO. I'd like to comment on the 2nd season finale. But I guess most of you are far ahead of season 2. I think season 4 is out on DVD already.

So, well, I just saw DOOMSDAY. It's midnight and I should go to bed but I am too upset. I cried like a baby when the Doctor and Rose got seperated. And the scene on the beach doesn't really helped. I even cried more. So sad when they had to say good bye! And David Tennant...what a great actor, what a great man! When he was standing there with tears in his eyes couldn't tell Rose what he felt, and to know he's never gonna see her again - well I completely lost it. :cry: I always tried to tell myself Hey, it's only a TV show! But I couldn't help it. I know it's stupid (and I should and could not tell most of the other people I know) but I needed to comment on it and tell it somebody. I hope the Doctor and Rose will be together again someday! They where so great together! Is there a chance? I don't know - I don't think so! :( But in my dreams they will be together! (Well, I guess in one or two dreams I will be together with him! :wink: :D )

OK, talking about dreams...I should go to bed! Don't know if I can sleep, but had to try! Thanks for reading! Sometimes it really helps a bit writing down your thoughts! Like some sort of a diary.

Good night!

Simone
word count: 284

Dexter: They make it look so easy-connecting with another human being. It's like no one told them it's the hardest thing in the world.

IntempestaNox
Fan

Post by IntempestaNox »

Still crossing my fingers for yah Sherry. I sure hope the news you get is good. :mrgreen:
word count: 16
Jennifer
Intempesta Nox >> The Dead of Night
"Uh oh. You have but-face."

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

TJ4ever wrote:I don't know if anybody have or have not watched DOCTOR WHO. I'd like to comment on the 2nd season finale. But I guess most of you are far ahead of season 2. I think season 4 is out on DVD already.
Some of it is. The full set won't be out till the autumn. Hubby, son no.2 and I are rabid Who/Tennant fans, so feel free to discuss it here any time you feel like blogging about it!
TJ4ever wrote:So, well, I just saw DOOMSDAY. It's midnight and I should go to bed but I am too upset.
I know, so were we.
TJ4ever wrote:I hope the Doctor and Rose will be together again someday! They were so great together! Is there a chance? I don't know - I don't think so!
Well, ok, I guess I can tell you that they do end up together at the end of S4 - sort of. Not in a way you'd expect. If you don't mind being spoiled pm me and I'll let you know. But there is a resolution.
word count: 192
"We make our lives out of chaos and hope. And love." - Angela Montenegro

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

And Sherry, yes...still with you.
word count: 6

TJ4ever
King of the Lab

Post by TJ4ever »

ThyneAlone wrote:If you don't mind being spoiled pm me and I'll let you know. But there is a resolution.

Just did! Thanks Steph!

With Doctor Who everything is quite new to me. Was never really interested in this series. They showed it in Germany right before Primeval and so I accidentally tuned in. I missed quite a bit of S1 but I thought Christopher Eccleston was really great. But David Tennant ... omg! I love him! So I kept on watching.
word count: 83

ThyneAlone
TJ Team Validator

Post by ThyneAlone »

Received and answered. Hope you feel a wee bit better now, Simone!

As I have said elsewhere on this topic, I watched the old Doctor Who but lost interest when Tom Baker was the Doctor. I didn't like him. But I already knew Chris Eccleston and David Tennant and respected them both hugely, so obviously I've watched the new stuff enthusiastically. It is only son no.1 who is getting a little bored with Doctor Who - the rest of the family is fanatical.
word count: 85

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

I've only seen an episode of DW here or there on television, but nothing in succession. So don't feel bad, Simone -- I'm much farther behind than you are! :D

I'd love to see more, but they don't seem to be available for rental at my local video stores, and I don't currently have my own computer hooked up to the 'net (not here at my grandmother's), so the only computer online access I've got is on my aunt's system right now. Regrettably, she does not have iTunes (and I'm not messing with her personal computer), so I can't download anything at this time. And the DVD sets are insanely expensive right now, so I can't allow myself that sort of splurge. Not while I'm out of work. Alas... I'll have to catch up on all the seasons someday. *rueful smile*

For what it's worth, what I've seen of David Tennant has been awesome so far. He's a lot of fun.
word count: 176

skftex
TJ Team Validator

Post by skftex »

Dr. Who comes on BBC America, but I have never watched it. :oops: I have no clue what season they are/were showing. And Simone, I missed the first episode of Primeval that aired on BBC America, I forgot about it, I was watching the Olympics and then there was a football game (US version) that night.

Had a very :evil: day today, sometimes I wonder how people that are in customer service type jobs are allowed to keep them. Sigh. Sorry just very frustrated with this woman in financial aid at the University who does not seem to know the rules about a program the state of Texas has for prior military. I have used the program already at the community college in fact used it for almost 2 years, and yet she says I don't qualify! So now I have to get documents from the National Personnel Records Center (which can take quite a bit of time), and try to talk her into accepting the copies of documents I have that prove that I DO qualify. Plus she wants to check if I receive financial aid, which does not matter at all, so I'll have to provide her with a copy of the legislation to show her they changed that requirement in 2006. I feel like I'm doing her job for her. :evil:

Other than that I am doing ok. :P

Sherry I hope you hear about the job soon.

Sharon
word count: 242

Sinkwriter72
King of the Lab

Post by Sinkwriter72 »

Hi, Sharon! Great to hear from you! :D

Thanks for the good wishes.

And I'm very sorry you had such a crappy time today. *shakes head* Frustrating! I hope you get it all sorted out ASAP.

xo
word count: 37